Stereo line signal recording over USB-C?
2398 23 2023-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lvl.2
Germany

Dear DJI Team,

is it possible to record a stereo line signal (mixer, mp3, etc.) over the built-in USB-C port on the Pocket 3 by using a USB-C to 3,5mm adapter?
If yes, which adapter would I need to do this?

Thanks
Dave
2023-10-29
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Pending an authoritative reply, have a look at YouTube videos concerning recording with the Action 2 - I strongly suspect that the audio side of the Pocket 3 is the same.  I will try to post an example in a short while...
2023-10-29
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

This video (which I happened to make...) shows the Rode AI Micro in use with the Action 2.  I bet it would work with the Pocket 3.  Now I can't test it with line level signals because I am in the middle of moving house and all my gear is in boxes 50km away.  But if you google for that device you may be able to see whether the specs look appropriate.  Probably there are cheaper devices out there too.  

And here's another one, about the audio-technica ATR2x-USB.  Google that too.

2023-10-29
Use props
lvl.2
Germany

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-29 05:09
https://youtu.be/cMdvmY_Ihvs

This video (which I happened to make...) shows the Rode AI Micro in use with the Action 2.  I bet it would work with the Pocket 3.  Now I can't test it with line level signals because I am in the middle of moving house and all my gear is in boxes 50km away.  But if you google for that device you may be able to see whether the specs look appropriate.  Probably there are cheaper devices out there too.  

Thank you so much Peter!
2023-10-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. As we mentioned on this thread that you posted https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=300204 Yes, the DJI Pocket 3 is capable of recording stereo line signal using the 3.5mm input in the DJI Mic 2 Transmitter. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. Have a nice day.
2023-10-29
Use props
lvl.2
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-29 21:31
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. As we mentioned on this thread that you posted https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=300204 Yes, the DJI Pocket 3 is capable of recording stereo line signal using the 3.5mm input in the DJI Mic 2 Transmitter. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. Have a nice day.

Dear Paladin, thank you so much for your reply!

But in this thread here my question was if it is possible to record a line signal DIRECTLY to the Pocket 3 USB-C input, not the 3,5mm input in the wireless DJI Mic2 (last thread).
Thanks again
2023-10-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

212 Posted at 10-29 21:50
Dear Paladin, thank you so much for your reply!

But in this thread here my question was if it is possible to record a line signal DIRECTLY to the Pocket 3 USB-C input, not the 3,5mm input in the wireless DJI Mic2 (last thread).

Thank you for the clarification. Yes, the USB-C port on the Osmo Pocket 3 camera body supports 48 kHz/16-bit digital microphones using the USB Audio standard. You may also refer to the test conducted by our fellow member above. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-10-31
Use props
lvl.2
Germany

Thank you !
2023-10-31
Use props
lvl.2
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-29 21:31
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. As we mentioned on this thread that you posted https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=300204 Yes, the DJI Pocket 3 is capable of recording stereo line signal using the 3.5mm input in the DJI Mic 2 Transmitter. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. Have a nice day.

Dear Paladin, thanks for confirming that it is possible to record a stereo line signal using the 3.5mm input in the DJI Mic 2 Transmitter.

I have tested it and it does NOT work. The signal appears to be a mono signal.

I have tested it with a TRS and TRRS adapter as well, but it was always mono. Since I need to record a STEREO line signal using the 3.5mm input in the DJI Mic 2 Transmitter, I again kindly ask you, if this is possible or not? If yes, how does it work? Thank you!
2023-12-4
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I do think there is some misunderstanding happening at the DJI end over this question.  I would be amazed if the Mic 2 was capable of stereo recording.  I don't think it would be equipped with a stereo preamp, to begin with.  It's a totally mono device, as far as I am aware.  I think the nearest very compact device to what you are seeking is the Zoom F1 recorder.
2023-12-4
Use props
fanscaae50a3
lvl.3

Spain

fansfe82067d Posted at 12-4 06:32
I do think there is some misunderstanding happening at the DJI end over this question.  I would be amazed if the Mic 2 was capable of stereo recording.  I don't think it would be equipped with a stereo preamp, to begin with.  It's a totally mono device, as far as I am aware.  I think the nearest very compact device to what you are seeking is the Zoom F1 recorder.

Yes. Mono device with one audio stream recorded. Suspect translation and misunderstanding errors. Certainly possible with two TX and a splitter cable.
2023-12-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

212 Posted at 12-4 05:41
Dear Paladin, thanks for confirming that it is possible to record a stereo line signal using the 3.5mm input in the DJI Mic 2 Transmitter.

I have tested it and it does NOT work. The signal appears to be a mono signal.

Hi there. Sorry for the confusion. When Osmo Pocket 3 is connected to two DJI Mic 2 transmitters simultaneously, stereo audio recording mode can be used, enabling you to capture distinct sounds on the left and right audio tracks. Please note that at present, the DJI Mic 2 transmitters are not available for individual purchase. When you buy the Osmo Pocket 3 Creator combo, only one Mic 2 transmitter is provided. As a result, stereo recording mode is not supported. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-12-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

fansfe82067d Posted at 12-4 06:32

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. I do apologize for this misunderstanding. Please note that stereo recording is not supported when Osmo Pocket 3 is used with the USB-C to 3.5mm TRS adapter despite the "stereo" option available in the camera menu, the adapter's limitations prevent any actual stereo effect. We can only achieve stereo recording when using two DJI Mic 2 transmitters simultaneously. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-12-5
Use props
djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 162270 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-5 03:48
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. I do apologize for this misunderstanding. Please note that stereo recording is not supported when Osmo Pocket 3 is used with the USB-C to 3.5mm TRS adapter despite the "stereo" option available in the camera menu, the adapter's limitations prevent any actual stereo effect. We can only achieve stereo recording when using two DJI Mic 2 transmitters simultaneously. Thank you for your understanding.

Many thanks Paladin for the response, however, I don't believe it is a limitation on the adaptor. Please see the video link which describes the ability of a USB-C to TRS adaptor (such as the BOYA BY-K4 is a 3.5mm TRS Female to Type-C Male Audio Adapter) to transmit a stereo track using the mics TRS 3.5mm jack into the adaptor - or have I misunderstood something? Also, I appreciate the video is focused on the Action 3, but I presume the same would apply to the Pocket 3 as well?
2023-12-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG Posted at 12-5 08:41
Many thanks Paladin for the response, however, I don't believe it is a limitation on the adaptor. Please see the video link which describes the ability of a USB-C to TRS adaptor (such as the BOYA BY-K4 is a 3.5mm TRS Female to Type-C Male Audio Adapter) to transmit a stereo track using the mics TRS 3.5mm jack into the adaptor - or have I misunderstood something? Also, I appreciate the video is focused on the Action 3, but I presume the same would apply to the Pocket 3 as well?
USB-C to 3.5mm Mic Adapters

Thank you for your response. The Osmo Pocket 3 can use a USB-C to 3.5mm TRS adapter to connect an external mic and record but it does not support STEREO recording. Hope this clarifies your query. Wish you have a wonderful day ahead.
2023-12-5
Use props
djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 162270 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-5 23:41
Thank you for your response. The Osmo Pocket 3 can use a USB-C to 3.5mm TRS adapter to connect an external mic and record but it does not support STEREO recording. Hope this clarifies your query. Wish you have a wonderful day ahead.

OK thanks for the further clarification Paladin.
2023-12-6
Use props
djiphantom43
New

United States

I recorded a true stereo signal into the Pocket 3 with a Behringer UCA222 audio interface, connecting it with a USB A to USB C adapter. I honestly didn't think it was going to work, but it did.
2023-12-6
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

The Action 2 supported stereo recording from a SUITABLE adapter from 3.5mm to USB-C.  I can't believe the Pocket 3 cannot do this.  Sadly my adapters are currently in another house 50km away, but when I get the chance I will test.

Here's a video where I used the Rode AI-Micro adapter with the Action 2.    I did also do some tests using a cheaper interface but I can't for the life of me find that video!  [Edit - I found that video and it referred to the audio-technica ATR2x-USB - and that only worked in mono.]

A limitation of the Rode adapter is that it only works with two mono inputs rather than one stereo input.  So if connecting a stereo mic, you have to use suitable adapter cables to split the stereo mic into the two mono inputs (which then give you stereo).  All in all, is is worth it?  Personally I would recommend the Shure MV88+ or the Sennheiser Ambeo headset (with adapter from lightning to USB-C) rather than wrestling with the Rode adapter, all things considered.

2023-12-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG Posted at 12-6 07:13
OK thanks for the further clarification Paladin.

You are most welcome. Feel free to contact us if you have other inquiries. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-12-7
Use props
djiuser_Dq09RpDYTfOu
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Been working on a solution to inputing external 3.5mm stereo mics into the Pocket 3 for ages, finally got it working. This maybe easier for USB-C based microphones but for analogue 3.5mm its hard. Tried using a lot of different cable adapters, but they all work in mono only. Following Peters video using the Rode AI-micro and the action 2 I can confirm it's possible to record stereo sound to the Pocket 3 via the Rode Micro, but you must configure the Rode micro to use split mode, then use a stereo splitter to input to the Micro via input one and two (does not work using input one in stereo mode). Then unsure the Pocket 3 is set to stereo mode in the Pro menu because sometimes it appears to switch to mono. Tried and tested using the Rode VideoMic Pro X which has internal Phantom Power and the Sony Stereo Lavier mic which need plug in power. Note I also had to increase the Pocket 3 gain by at least 9db to get a decent signal. Mission.
2023-12-20
Use props
smallchewie
lvl.1

France

Hello, I recently bought an OP3 and wanted to record sound directly from a portable recorder connected on it (a Sony PCM-D100 but I guess my question would be the same for a Tascam Portacapture x6 / x8 or any recorder with two stereo mics).
I tried the following setup : Apple USB-C to 3.5 jack adapter > TRRS to TRS cable > Line out port.

I could get the sound correctly on the left channel...

...but not at the same level on the right one (I don't even know if the OP3 was able to get it at all actually) ...

Both left and right mics on the D100 were at the same levels and the OP3 was configured in Stereo mode.

Do you know how to solve this problem ? I have been told that usigng the RØDE AI-Micro with regular mic cable and enabling stereo just in mic one via the app could work. But from what I understood from the preivous answer, it does'nt so I am bit lost here .

If someone knows, I would be super intersted to know more. Thank you.

4-28 05:26
Use props
smallchewie
lvl.1

France

Hello again, after looking on YouTube, comms and forums, I tried to sum up the option that seems feasible to solve my problem. As I would prefer to avoid buying lot of cables, adapters and so, I would be super interested if someone has any clue on which setup would be the best.

1 ) In my previous post, I tried setup A :

It was working but I mainly (only ?) get the sound from the left mic of the Sony PCM-D100 portable digital record only (also tried with a TASCAM DR-100MK III > same results)

2) Then I asked a super nice guy on Youtube who told me that this setup (B) with the RODE AI with input 1 in stereo was working for him

As the stereo microphones​ from the D100 do not require power to work (I mean there are powered by the device right ?) that should indeed work by setting up input 1 of RODE AI adapter in stereo mode as he suggests, so I will probably test his solution.

3) Then I thought : would this setup (C) with a jack cable splitter works as well or even better ?

4) And finally - and just out of curiosity - would this (crazy) option with  2 DJI mic 2 work too (as using only one can't get stereo sound) ?

If yes, do you think the sound quality will be affected as I'm not using cable ?

Thank you all and sorry if I asked dumb question, I'm not an expert but hope I will find one here

4-29 05:22
Use props
babyblerd
New
Philippines

Hi all,

For osmo pocket 3 users. Lets make this a thread so that we dont need to purchase different cables/converter/adaptor for external mic usb-c to jack 3.5mm to try to our osmo pocket 3.

I tried and tested different cables that does not work with it and here are the list.

Not working
Bavin
Xiaomi

Working
KiWiBiRD  (from youtube.com /watch?v=E3sreJTgVBY
Samsung - be careful pls look the difference of the legit vs not original, I bought the not original and it sounds terrible.
Im not sure if its mono or stereo as im not an expert to it.

Can you guys reply to this for working adaptor you can suggest? I read from different site that Boya By-K4 works but im not sure? Thanks.

5-4 06:22
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

babyblerd Posted at 5-4 06:22
Hi all,

For osmo pocket 3 users. Lets make this a thread so that we dont need to purchase different cables/converter/adaptor for external mic usb-c to jack 3.5mm to try to our osmo pocket 3.

Boya BY-K4 and Movo UCMA supply the Pocket 3 with a stereo signal. However, the signal is somewhat boosted and must be reduced in the camera so that the noisefloor does not disturb. Both are TRS and designed for microphones. I prefer to use the Rode Mikro A.I. because I can use both TRS and TRRS micros.
5-5 03:32
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules