How to use the camera without having to install dji mimo?
12Next >
6573 52 2023-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bruno31
lvl.1
France

Hi

I have choosen this product because I need simplicity and fast use. WHAT A DISAPOINTMENT!

After 5 switch on, my camera is blocked, requiring to install dji mimo on a smartphone.

1) WHAT FOR? I do not want to use a smartphone to use my camera. I need simplicity.

2) I don't have a smartphone. How do I do?

3) I have tried to install it on windows thru an emulator. The APK is rejected, not known.

4) I do I pass thru this step?
2023-11-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You need the MIMO app to activate the product,  after that you dont have to use it.  
2023-11-2
Use props
bruno31
lvl.1
France

DAFlys Posted at 11-2 04:29
You need the MIMO app to activate the product,  after that you dont have to use it.

Thank you for your help. But...

I don't NEED to activate anything. I bought the camera. It was working during the first hours until it was blocked requesting activation.

Activation? What for?

Warranty? I have the invoice to prove the purchase date.

Anyway, I CANNOT install dji mimo. I DO NOT have a smartphone. And I will not buy one for this.

I just need the trick to unlock this f...ing message.

2023-11-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bruno31 Posted at 11-2 05:41

I don't NEED to activate anything. I bought the camera. It was working during the first hours until it was blocked requesting activation.

You need to activate the product before you can use it,  thats just how they are designed.  Sadly you'll need to find someone with a smart phone.
2023-11-2
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. As the first step for usage, the activation process will help you verify that the product is brand new. Through activation, we’ll be able to better serve you and provide more relevant after-sales services. After you register or log in with a DJI account, the app will provide you with wonderful works, creative editing, service plan binding, and so on. All of these features will ensure you have a better usage experience.

We intend to optimize the product activation steps and the usage experience of other functions. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. I’ll provide feedback to the engineers for evaluation.
About your issue, we sincerely recommend you borrow a phone to activate the device. After that, you can use the device without the phone.
2023-11-2
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This obligation to ‘register’ is one annoying thing with both DJI and GoPro. We all have dated receipts so we know when the camera was bought and many don’t want to use the app in spite of the features that you are quoting above. Fact is, we have no choice over the matter if we want a working camera.

Updates could easily be downloaded and performed manually without Mimo. It’s not even an approved app on Android. Not great to send out an app that causes a ‘warning’ to appear on the phone and then we have to choose to ignore this warning if we want to use our cameras.

I think that aspect of the Mimo app needs to be sorted. It’s really not good to be ignoring a phone message telling you that something is wrong.
2023-11-2
Use props
bruno31
lvl.1
France

DJI Wanda Posted at 11-2 06:57
Hello, there. As the first step for usage, the activation process will help you verify that the product is brand new. Through activation, we’ll be able to better serve you and provide more relevant after-sales services. After you register or log in with a DJI account, the app will provide you with wonderful works, creative editing, service plan binding, and so on. All of these features will ensure you have a better usage experience.

We intend to optimize the product activation steps and the usage experience of other functions. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. I’ll provide feedback to the engineers for evaluation.

YES I  have a recommandation: do not force your customers to do USELESS thinks. NEVER

DJI designed a good product, though SIMPLE. but break everything with that stupid and useless activation procedure. What a pity!

All that you said (verify product is new, after sale, editing, ...) are totally useless. SHALL be optionnal. The proof: the camera worked for several minutes before requiring activation.

Did we need to activate anything before, with other cams? Answer: NO.
So what is the difference today? Answer: DJI collects customers data. This is the only explanation I see.

THIS IS UNNACCEPTABLE.

Prove me I'm wrong? Let the activation optionnal.

2023-11-2
Use props
djiuser_8w6uMMONfkGk
lvl.2
Spain

bruno31 Posted at 11-2 07:46
YES I  have a recommandation: do not force your customers to do USELESS thinks. NEVER

DJI designed a good product, though SIMPLE. but break everything with that stupid and useless activation procedure. What a pity!

Completamente de acuerdo, me pasa lo mismo con un teléfono de 2023. Es una verguenza que DJI haga esto, o solucionan esto ya o empezaremos a hacer criticas malas y a no recomendar la compra del Osmo Pocket 3 en las redes sociales
2023-11-2
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s no different than signing in here and you managed to do that including giving your data, which is protected through GDPR, once done you should have no problems unless you want to update firmware.
2023-11-2
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The choice would be nice though.
2023-11-2
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-2 04:29

Mimo is also needed to update the Firmware and provides a lot of features and extends the capability of the camera.  (e.g., remote control making it easier to manage VLOG as though a third party was running the equipment.)
The guys' just whining a bit.  He knows the registration/activation process.  Look at the Mavic icon below his icon.  He's had to activate other products :-)
2023-11-2
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

YES I  have a recommendation: do not force your customers to do USELESS thinks. NEVER

Yes, and it's a form of product registration, simplifying updates to firmware and MIMO special app availability.  No... it's not a spy process... geez... get over yourself.  I doubt that DJI has any desire to monitor our pathetic lives ;-)

If you don't like the product, return it within the 14 days, get your money back and buy something else "better".   but do you research first.  Download the manual ... it fully describes the startup process.

Plus, I see that you have a DJI drone. (wow Mavic 2 PRO!).... same process to activate as with the quads... they already have YOUR information, and from those aerial videos "they know where you LIVE!!"
2023-11-2
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Just curious... How did you activate your Mavic 2 Pro quad??   

You say you don't have a smartphone (that's so cute!!). FWIW, even if you don't have a phone, phone a friend and use theirs... presuming of course you have a friend or two who have phones... :-)

(just having fun with ya)

2023-11-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WebParrot Posted at 11-2 16:14
Mimo is also needed to update the Firmware and provides a lot of features and extends the capability of the camera.  (e.g., remote control making it easier to manage VLOG as though a third party was running the equipment.)
The guys' just whining a bit.  He knows the registration/activation process.  Look at the Mavic icon below his icon.  He's had to activate other products :-)

Seems that he managed to activate it as he now has a pocket 3 icon.
2023-11-3
Use props
bruno31
lvl.1
France

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-2 12:51
It’s no different than signing in here and you managed to do that including giving your data, which is protected through GDPR, once done you should have no problems unless you want to update firmware.

It's a HUGE difference, since you have to install a 500Mb app.
2023-11-3
Use props
bruno31
lvl.1
France

DAFlys Posted at 11-3 02:50
Seems that he managed to activate it as he now has a pocket 3 icon.

That's true. I was obliged to do that on the smartphone of my daughter. That disgusts me.

Even if I finally manage to do that, I maintain that this is unacceptable.
2023-11-3
Use props
bruno31
lvl.1
France

WebParrot Posted at 11-2 16:24

You say you don't have a smartphone (that's so cute!!). FWIW, even if you don't have a phone, phone a friend and use theirs... presuming of course you have a friend or two who have phones... :-)

There was no blocking activation requirement on my MAVIC PRO. I could do update with the windows App. I connect the remote control to a Tablet.
I installed the app in the tablet because there is a real need.
I don't see the need with the mimo app.

BTW, have you seen how many users have problem to install this app? even with recent smartphones.
2023-11-3
Use props
bruno31
lvl.1
France

WebParrot Posted at 11-2 16:14

This is not the question if I finally did it. I WAS OBLIGED TO DO. THIS IS INNACCEPTABLE.

Updating firmware SHALL be optionnal. BTW, when I activated with my daughter smartphone, no update had been proposed.
2023-11-3
Use props
bruno31
lvl.1
France

WebParrot Posted at 11-2 16:18
Yes, and it's a form of product registration, simplifying updates to firmware and MIMO special app availability.  No... it's not a spy process... geez... get over yourself.  I doubt that DJI has any desire to monitor our pathetic lives ;-)

If you don't like the product, return it within the 14 days, get your money back and buy something else "better".   but do you research first.  Download the manual ... it fully describes the startup process.

MAVIC PRO 2 did not require installation of a 500Mb app into a recent smartphone.

500Mb! only for a registration. Only on smartphone.  And you are OK with that?

I just say: Let customer having the choice.

2023-11-3
Use props
bruno31
lvl.1
France

WebParrot Posted at 11-2 16:24

I was not initially thinking DJI has bad intentions.

But with with few trolls trying to disqualify me, I changed my minds.
2023-11-3
Use props
bruno31
lvl.1
France

Moreover, to those who say I finally registered the camera because they see the icon in my profile. First, this does not call into question the problem. Second, this is further evidence that DJI has a problem with customer data privacy. I have never authorized DJI to disclose the equipments in my possession.
2023-11-3
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

bruno31 Posted at 11-3 05:50
Moreover, to those who say I finally registered the camera because they see the icon in my profile. First, this does not call into question the problem. Second, this is further evidence that DJI has a problem with customer data privacy. I have never authorized DJI to disclose the equipments in my possession.

Obviously your principles got the better of you. Be careful of those hiding in the long grass.
2023-11-3
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United States

bruno31 Posted at 11-3 05:50

Did you read this when you created your account here?

https://www.dji.com/policy?site=brandsite&from=forum
2023-11-3
Use props
Interpol
lvl.3
Flight distance : 37201 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like DJI products are not for you.  Just return it and buy something else.
2023-11-3
Use props
bruno31
lvl.1
France

DaveSp Posted at 11-3 06:03
Did you read this when you created your account here?

https://www.dji.com/policy?site=brandsite&from=forum

And you, did you read?
2023-11-3
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

bruno31 Posted at 11-3 09:13
And you, did you read?

Yes, that's how I knew about it.
2023-11-3
Use props
bruno31
lvl.1
France

Obviously, this topic is followed by some committed trolls
I want to end with that: DJI made a great product. I'am impressed. REALLY. But with this obligation, DJI made a FAULT. I'am so disapointed.
2023-11-3
Use props
bruno31
lvl.1
France

DaveSp Posted at 11-3 09:15
Yes, that's how I knew about it.

of course
2023-11-3
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

If you don't read what you sign up for, don't complain about it later. And I'm not trolling.
2023-11-3
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

bruno31 Posted at 11-3 05:04
This is not the question if I finally did it. I WAS OBLIGED TO DO. THIS IS INNACCEPTABLE.

Updating firmware SHALL be optionnal. BTW, when I activated with my daughter smartphone, no update had been proposed.

If you didn’t do the new update you are missing a lot of stuff, check out latest firmware update.
2023-11-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bruno31 Posted at 11-3 04:57
That's true. I was obliged to do that on the smartphone of my daughter. That disgusts me.

Even if I finally manage to do that, I maintain that this is unacceptable.

Id get used to it,    it protects the manufactures from loss and you'll see it applied to a lot more products I the future.     Even mundane things like the washing machine.
2023-11-3
Use props
bruno31
lvl.1
France

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-3 10:36
If you didn’t do the new update you are missing a lot of stuff, check out latest firmware update.

Hello

I only use the basic stuff already in: switch on - video record with tracking - switch off
Like many users I guess.

But assuming you are right, can I ask 2 questions:

1) can you tell me one new wonderfull stuff I could get with the new update, only one (1) please ?

2)  give me one (1) reason DJI could not propose a windows app, but only a 500mb smartphone app?

Thank you
2023-11-4
Use props
bruno31
lvl.1
France

DaveSp Posted at 11-3 09:33
If you don't read what you sign up for, don't complain about it later. And I'm not trolling.
Ok you are right. I admire you if you really do that each time you register somewhere.

May I ask a service?
Please can you copy/paste the sentence that explicitly says DJI will publicly reveal what are my equipments?

If you find, please give also the link
2023-11-4
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

bruno31 Posted at 11-4 01:41
Hello

I only use the basic stuff already in: switch on - video record with tracking - switch off

You’re starting to sound like a teacher now, but Im certain you can find out from link below one wonderful stuff. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=300341

2/ I suppose dji are a hugely successful private company and they decide what works for them, Mimo is an excellent app and covers many more products than pocket 3, so for an app that covers 6 cameras 500mb is not that big , Im sure creating separate apps for each product would not be feasible.

I suppose dji would not be in business if they had to bow to every customers whim.
2023-11-4
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

We are sorry for the inconvenience. Currently, it requires you to activate the device. Your advice will be forwarded to our related departments.
2023-11-4
Use props
bruno31
lvl.1
France

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-4 02:24
You’re starting to sound like a teacher now, but Im certain you can find out from link below one wonderful stuff. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=300341

2/ I suppose dji are a hugely successful private company and they decide what works for them, Mimo is an excellent app and covers many more products than pocket 3, so for an app that covers 6 cameras 500mb is not that big , Im sure creating separate apps for each product would not be feasible.

Please do not make personnal judgment and stay with the facts.

1) I follow the link and read quality improvment features. This is not absolutly essentiel but seems interesting. You got a point

2) I agree but sorry it doesnt answer the simple question. So I reformulate: give me one good reason DJI could not make an app for PC?
For my mavic pro, there is an app for windows.

and let me add an other:

3) give me one good reason to block the camera until registration is made?
2023-11-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Mimo could easily be smaller indeed, but it have a lot more than just for controlling/setup of cameras. But if it were buildt up from scratch and not used crappy code (like a lot of apps tend to do), then it could be really small.
Also will have to add that it takes about 8-10 seconds for Mimo to startup on my phone. I have told DJI about it almost a year ago but it is still slow.
2023-11-4
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Giving us the choice would put no company out of business.

People who never use Mimo other than to update don't like being forced to use it. Manual updates would be simple to implement.

So why does DJI make us have to use an app? The device is activated before having to download it so activation for us is not really necessary. I never had to do this for my Sony and Canon cameras. Only the DJI cameras and GoPro. At least with GoPros, we can actually manually update and avoid having to use  their app.
2023-11-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I think one reasons they do this is just because there were so many having problems updating with software on OA1 and in general using usb-connection between their camera and computer.
A lot of people are not technically smart, so they can only use systems that are easy to use. Bluetooth connection is just easy enough for all people to understand.
Can just imagine all complains it would been with people complaing it wouldn't connect when using usb-connection and they doesn't understand that there is actually different usb-c-cables (charging/data transfer etc).

2023-11-4
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

bruno31 Posted at 11-4 03:46
Please do not make personnal judgment and stay with the facts.

1) I follow the link and read quality improvment features. This is not absolutly essentiel but seems interesting. You got a point

2/ they don’t have to and if it was worth it for them to change their structure they would, they are really successful at this.

3/ you should register to activate when you first get your camera, simply because your camera will fully update so you have a fully functioning product from day 1.

If you don’t agree with politicians, vote for some else, if the Chinese take away is too expensive go elsewhere , if you feel being asked to register to activate is wrong buy elsewhere there are other options loads of them. It says a lot about people who can follow their convictions but it’s hard to see why people complain about something that has now become normal and is fully backed by their greater need to own something. Much of this registering and activation is completely supported by the same people in so many other ways that all they’re doing is just adding to the nonsense and insuring it continues. We sold our souls to the Devil long ago and turning back will not be so easy.
2023-11-4
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules