Dear DJI, OP3 Fails to transfer files
1485 33 2023-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rishio
lvl.3
Taiwan

I used the OP3 for the first time to record a 45 minute interview in 4k/30fps/DLog on an San Disk Extreme Pro Memory Card. I'm having a very difficult time transfering the files over to my iPad. I transferred 1 out of 4 files after several tries. The second and other files keeps giving up with an error message after a few minutes of transfer. The Error message is shown below. Anyone know what's up? Anyone else having this problem? I'm using the usbc cable that came with it.

IMG_3039.jpeg
2023-11-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Is your pocket going to sleep before it completes the transfer?
2023-11-8
Use props
Rishio
lvl.3
Taiwan

DAFlys Posted at 11-8 06:32
Is your pocket going to sleep before it completes the transfer?

No, because I changed the autopower off to 10 minutes and keep tapping the screen to make sure it doesn’t fall asleep while transferring. I managed to transfer the files over finally, but it takes about 10 tries and some luck. I’m wondering if this is a normal thing for everyone..
2023-11-8
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wonder if its the wifi connection that goes to sleep rather then the entire unit, as a power save thing, even though it clearly shouldn't as its in use!
Have you raised a support ticket with DJI? Would be useful to get some logs across to them for investigation.....
2023-11-8
Use props
Rishio
lvl.3
Taiwan

IftiBashir Posted at 11-8 07:42
Wonder if its the wifi connection that goes to sleep rather then the entire unit, as a power save thing, even though it clearly shouldn't as its in use!
Have you raised a support ticket with DJI? Would be useful to get some logs across to them for investigation.....

My wifi seems pretty stable. I haven’t raised a flag yet, thought I would ask here first if others experience it and see if it’s a common issue with DJI. I also noticed it splits video files up and not sure why it ahas to do that.
2023-11-8
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rishio Posted at 11-8 08:14
My wifi seems pretty stable. I haven’t raised a flag yet, thought I would ask here first if others experience it and see if it’s a common issue with DJI. I also noticed it splits video files up and not sure why it ahas to do that.

Files are split at about the 4GB mark. It's a limitation on file structure on SD cards.
2023-11-8
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wiz33 Posted at 11-8 08:35
Files are split at about the 4GB mark. It's a limitation on file structure on SD cards.

Which file format is used (haven’t got round to opening my unit yet - just arrived today!)?

I’d be surprised if they still used FAT32 in this day and age, which has the 4Gb file size limitation.
It should be exFAT at least, which has no such limitation. Hence I don’t get why all these action cam manufacturers still insist on splitting files - not at something as small as 4GB at least, considering the high resolution, frame rate, and bit rate settings can fill 4GB quite quickly!
Maybe it does come down to something with SD cards as you suggest - or just a matter of not losing too much video data should a file corrupt?......
2023-11-8
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United States

IftiBashir Posted at 11-8 13:39
Which file format is used (haven’t got round to opening my unit yet - just arrived today!)?

I’d be surprised if they still used FAT32 in this day and age, which has the 4Gb file size limitation.

It's exFAT.
2023-11-8
Use props
Rishio
lvl.3
Taiwan

Mine still crashes 3 of 4 times everytime I try to transfer video files over to my iPad. It’s extremely frustrating. I’ll try to connect with DJI Support when they are next available, but if anybody else shares this problem let me know! Does everyone transfer files from the OP3 using the usbc cable or some special card reader? Surprised I’m the only one having issues with this..
2023-11-9
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I always use card readers - even with my iPad......
2023-11-9
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

Rishio Posted at 11-9 03:11
Mine still crashes 3 of 4 times everytime I try to transfer video files over to my iPad. It’s extremely frustrating. I’ll try to connect with DJI Support when they are next available, but if anybody else shares this problem let me know! Does everyone transfer files from the OP3 using the usbc cable or some special card reader? Surprised I’m the only one having issues with this..

I always use a cable (to PC & iPad) and occasionally a card reader.
2023-11-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Does the issue happen if you perform the transfer via computer? We will coordinate this concern of yours to our relevant team for clarification. We will keep you posted. Thank you for your patience.
2023-11-10
Use props
federnet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1691463 ft
  • >>>
Poland

I remember that some DJIs devices had a bug with failing tranfers when LTE Data transfer was enabled. Maybe you can try putting the device in Airplane mode and try the transfer again?
2023-11-10
Use props
Rishio
lvl.3
Taiwan

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-10 01:48
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Does the issue happen if you perform the transfer via computer? We will coordinate this concern of yours to our relevant team for clarification. We will keep you posted. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks for the response. The issue happens when I transfer files from my OP3 to my iPad Pro via USBC using the included USBC cable. The iPad recognizes the OP3, and when I transfer several files onto the iPad, the transfer often fails a few minutes later with the error message shown in the previous posts. I end up having to transfer a few files at a time and usually can make all the files transfer after 5 or 6 times, but it’s a pretty bad experience. I haven’t had any issue with the usbc port on the iPad and the files from the wireless microphone seem to transfer fine, though those files are much smaller. I’m on the latest version of iPadOS and all software is up to date. I’m hoping my OP3 is not faulty - everything else seems to work fine.
2023-11-10
Use props
Rishio
lvl.3
Taiwan

Here’s another guy on YouTube who has problems transferring files..

2023-11-10
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
China

HI Rishio.
it is suggested to install MIMO app and download file  via WIFI.

ipad does have a type-c but it restricts the otg transfer according to the test results.
and that's why op3 OTG page only says connecting to android device .(current iPhone15 iOS works fine so far based on our tests though )
2023-11-10
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

DJI-ytao Posted at 11-10 06:17
HI Rishio.

What do you mean "ipad does have a type-c but it restricts the otg transfer according to the test results"? I transfer multiple large files via USB-C to my M1 12.9" iPad Pro all of the time without any issues, including the Pocket 3.
2023-11-10
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
China

DaveSp Posted at 11-10 06:46
What do you mean "ipad does have a type-c but it restricts the otg transfer according to the test results"? I transfer multiple large files via USB-C to my M1 12.9" iPad Pro all of the time without any issues, including the Pocket 3.

based on our tests.
some apple device otg works fine while some do not.

With apple's OTG converter, it all works fine.
ipad&iphone typec is just usb 2.0.   the speed is not quicker than mimo app donwloads via wifi.

2023-11-10
Use props
Rishio
lvl.3
Taiwan

DJI-ytao Posted at 11-10 06:17
HI Rishio.

I’ll try that out, but surprised that I cannot simply connect it to the USBC and have it transfer reliably like it has worked with all my other transfers, including from the wireless mic. I would think wifi would be slow for transferring several gigs of 4k video, but I’ll give it a shot. I do have the app installed..
2023-11-10
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

DJI-ytao Posted at 11-10 06:55
based on our tests.
some apple device otg works fine while some do not.

Good point on the transfer speed. I just tested, downloading a 2.33GB video file from my Pocket 3 to my M1 12.9" iPad Pro. USB-C transfer took 2:46, WiFi transfer took 1:28.
2023-11-10
Use props
Rishio
lvl.3
Taiwan

So you guys don’t think I have a faulty OP3 unit?
2023-11-10
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

Rishio Posted at 11-10 19:02
So you guys don’t think I have a faulty OP3 unit?

Unclear what is going on. Give the WiFi transfer a try - as my iPad test showed, it is faster. And do the video files on the card itself show as truncated at 4GB? The card format is exFAT so there is no 4GB limit; I have files larger than 4GB on my Pocket 3. What app are you using to do the transfer to the iPad?  Also, have you tried reformatting the card in the Pocket 3?
2023-11-10
Use props
Rishio
lvl.3
Taiwan

I did some interviews and my files truncate at 17gb. Wireless transfer works, but it’s not ideal because it goes into my photos and also, I cannot transfer over the RAW files for photos, only Jpegs. There are work arounds (buying a card reader), but I’d still want to know why the USBC transfers are so flaky and if it’s something on Apple’s side or DJI’s side. That all said, the pocket 3 is awesome aside from a few niggles. Hopefully it’s not that I have a faulty OP3 because I am traveling in Taiwan right now and doing a series of films with it!

I’m not using any app to transfer files to the iPad. I  just connect the OP3 to the iPad via usbc and it shows up as an external hard drive in the native Files App.

I’ve reformatted the card since the first time I put it in the OP3. I have a 64GB and 256gb san disk extreme pro.
2023-11-10
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

Rishio Posted at 11-10 22:14
I did some interviews and my files truncate at 17gb. Wireless transfer works, but it’s not ideal because it goes into my photos and also, I cannot transfer over the RAW files for photos, only Jpegs. There are work arounds (buying a card reader), but I’d still want to know why the USBC transfers are so flaky and if it’s something on Apple’s side or DJI’s side. That all said, the pocket 3 is awesome aside from a few niggles. Hopefully it’s not that I have a faulty OP3 because I am traveling in Taiwan right now and doing a series of films with it!

I’m not using any app to transfer files to the iPad. I  just connect the OP3 to the iPad via usbc and it shows up as an external hard drive in the native Files App.

What iPadOS version?  I (and others) had file corruption issues with the iPad when working with external storage formatted exFAT. I had a very long thread on it at MacRunors -

https://forums.macrumors.com/thr ... al-storage.2235171/

TL;DR, I stopped using the culprit, the Files app, and switched to a third-party app, FileBrowser Pro, and didn't have any further problems. I thought the issue had been fixed but I still never use Files with my exFAT storage, including the Pocket 3, because I lost trust in it.

As for speed, MIMO and WiFi are faster than USB-C because of the old USB-C version used by the iPad (even in my high-end M1 12.9" iPad Pro).
2023-11-11
Use props
Rishio
lvl.3
Taiwan

DaveSp Posted at 11-11 02:12
What iPadOS version?  I (and others) had file corruption issues with the iPad when working with external storage formatted exFAT. I had a very long thread on it at MacRunors -

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/file-corruption-on-copy-to-external-storage.2235171/

I’m on iPadOS 17.1 on my 2020 iPad Pro 11”. I saw the thread, but it is over 3 years old! I can’t believe iPadOS would face these issues 3 years later. I guess just being a confirmation that the problem is iPadOS and not the OP3 would be good to know, and my preference. If it’s an Apple problem, there’s nothing I can do except work arounds.
2023-11-11
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

Rishio Posted at 11-11 06:52
I’m on iPadOS 17.1 on my 2020 iPad Pro 11”. I saw the thread, but it is over 3 years old! I can’t believe iPadOS would face these issues 3 years later. I guess just being a confirmation that the problem is iPadOS and not the OP3 would be good to know, and my preference. If it’s an Apple problem, there’s nothing I can do except work arounds.

The iPad has no problems with Apple-unique formats but has struggled with other formats - it was only recently that just read-only support for NTFS was introduced (write is still unavailable). With exFAT, I documented problems with both corrupted data and storage when using the Files app. As I noted, I thought it was fixed but having been burned, I do not use it with my attached exFAT storage of any kind.
2023-11-11
Use props
Rishio
lvl.3
Taiwan

Well thanks for letting me know. I believe you - Apple kind of puts their nose up high to non-apple technologies. I don’t really understand much about exFat and such, but it’s a shame that such an obvious use case is not bullet proof.
2023-11-11
Use props
Rishio
lvl.3
Taiwan

My file transfer situation has become very bad. If I use Mimo, it transfers all the videos and photos, except RAW, but it goes into my photos app and I really want it in the files app with traditional folder organization. If I try to export the videos from the photos to the files app, it hangs and fails. So the Mimo solution doesn’t work for me. If I connect the camera via usbc to my ipad, that fails most transfers.

Basically, there is no easy way for me to get the video and photo files to my iPad, though I have yet to buy and try a card reader. I never thought this would be the most frustrating part of the OP3 for me. Hopefully it gets resoved, somehow! Never really had this problem with the iPad before.
2023-11-15
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

Rishio Posted at 11-15 11:12
My file transfer situation has become very bad. If I use Mimo, it transfers all the videos and photos, except RAW, but it goes into my photos app and I really want it in the files app with traditional folder organization. If I try to export the videos from the photos to the files app, it hangs and fails. So the Mimo solution doesn’t work for me. If I connect the camera via usbc to my ipad, that fails most transfers.

Basically, there is no easy way for me to get the video and photo files to my iPad. I spent the last 3 hours trying to get my videos and photos onto it and have not found a good way. It’s become a more serious issue than I thought. DJI, any help?

Try putting the card in a card reader for your iPad - I just used one with mine to transfer a load of Canon RAW images and video from my DSLR's card.
2023-11-15
Use props
Rishio
lvl.3
Taiwan

DaveSp Posted at 11-15 11:16
Try putting the card in a card reader for your iPad - I just used one with mine to transfer a load of Canon RAW images and video from my DSLR's card.

Yeah, I’m going to go buy one tomorrow to try that. I’d rather not keep putting in and taking out the card, but hopefully that will at least do the job.
2023-11-15
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

Rishio Posted at 11-15 11:45
Yeah, I’m going to go buy one tomorrow to try that. I’d rather not keep putting in and taking out the card, but hopefully that will at least do the job.

One other thing - have you tried a different cable? I've run into flaky cables before, even new ones. To run this to ground, you really need to change as many of the variables as possible, one at a time. If I were debugging this, I would try different cables , uSD cards, and target download device.
2023-11-15
Use props
Rishio
lvl.3
Taiwan

DaveSp Posted at 11-15 11:52
One other thing - have you tried a different cable? I've run into flaky cables before, even new ones. To run this to ground, you really need to change as many of the variables as possible, one at a time. If I were debugging this, I would try different cables , uSD cards, and target download device.

No I have not. I don’t really have another USBC cable (aside from power ones)  but I’ll have to look into that..
2023-11-16
Use props
djiuser_SL9bvSKwe8YR
New
Canada

4-23 09:13
Use props
djiuser_SL9bvSKwe8YR
New
Canada

I am experiencing the exact same issue. It just isn’t working no matter what I try. I’ve tried transferring using the included usb cable and mimo app, as well as a card reader with my iPad, but no luck. After several attempts only one of my files manages to transfer over but nothing else.

Has there been any kind of update on this? Really don’t want to have to buy a computer just for this.
4-23 21:45
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules