Color Space of the OP3's D-LOG M
2999 16 2023-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BinaryDigits
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Offering D-LOG M profile on the Pocket 3 is all well and good, but the only conversion offered by DJI is to Rec709. That is madness. Some of the color information contained within D-LOG M will be lost when downconverting to REC709's smaller color space. Please consider one or both of the following options :-1. Publish the sensor's full color range metrics, so that Color Space Transform to eg. Davinci Wide Gamut can be calculated, or
2. Create a CST for Davinci Wide Gamut yourselves.

I'm sure that LOT of people are eagerly awaiting a way to make the most of the D-LOG M color profile offering.
2023-11-24
Use props
BinaryDigits
lvl.3
United Kingdom

It looks like this request is duplicated over on the Osmo Action 4 forum, with posts containing much more detail than shown above. Refer here. Please release the D-LOG M color space.
2023-11-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Some of the reviews suggested the D-Log was a bit pointless as there was extremely little to be gained over using the standard modes.  
2023-11-25
Use props
BinaryDigits
lvl.3
United Kingdom

On the Pocket 3, D-LOG M is a 10-bit color space, whereas the Standard mode is 8-bit. One billion colors versus seventeen million colors. I'm guessing D-LOG M will give the user 13 to 14 usable stops of dynamic range. I've read some replies that using a LUT rather than a color space transform is just as good. It isn't. A color space transform operates on a per pixel basis, whereas using a LUT is an interpolated transformation using a much coarser granularity.

Squeezing all this camera data into a smaller color space using the DJI-provided LUT will mean that when the data is edited it will have a much greater chance of dynamic range or color information falling apart, because it has already been approximated.

To quote Scotty "You can't change the laws of physics Captain".

2023-11-25
Use props
sandro87
lvl.1

Italy

What about HLOG, what color space does it have?
2023-11-26
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

We appreciate your suggestion. This request was already forwarded to the related team however, we will keep on submitting your feedback for their attention. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
2023-11-27
Use props
gio37540
lvl.2
France

any updates ?  seems DJI is hiding something .......
2-2 12:28
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237733 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI Tony Posted at 2023-11-27 02:24
We appreciate your suggestion. This request was already forwarded to the related team however, we will keep on submitting your feedback for their attention. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

any updates?
2-16 07:09
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, utkin. This was submitted as a suggestion and needs to undergo evaluation first. It will be officially announced by DJI once approved and applied through a firmware update notification. We appreciate your patience.
2-17 02:10
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI Tony Posted at 2-17 02:10
Hi, utkin. This was submitted as a suggestion and needs to undergo evaluation first. It will be officially announced by DJI once approved and applied through a firmware update notification. We appreciate your patience.

Wat?!

what firmware do you mean? we are just asking to publish color space transform function. Are you sure you correctly understand the request at all?

I understand that you are just a bot with poor speech recognition logic. But even in this case there should be someone on the other end to read some of the threads.

Kindly let me know exact keywords i can use to trigger live person to read particular posts.
2-17 18:09
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Hi, utkin. This was submitted as a suggestion and needs to undergo evaluation first. It will be officially announced by DJI once approved and applied through a firmware update notification. We appreciate your patience.

Any updates?
3-1 21:57
Use props
OzzieUK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 862280 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI will never release the D Log M CST info to Black Magic, it would be commercial suicide as it would instantly devalue their commercial solutions. I hope they will be it will be. a cold day and all that if they do finally do it
4-25 10:14
Use props
okito.xyz
lvl.1
Peru

Any update? five months we are waiting for an document saying us how work your log profile
4-25 22:15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

okito.xyz Posted at 4-25 22:15
Any update? five months we are waiting for an document saying us how work your log profile

Hi there. No update at the moment. We are actively sending all your requests to the related team to handle. Any news or updates are officially announced on the DJI official website or in the DJI Forum. We appreciate your patience and valued support.
4-27 04:09
Use props
BinaryDigits
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi there. I originated this thread. Reading between the lines, it is clear that there will be no progress on this issue anytime soon. However, if you want to make the most of the P3's ten bit color space, my suggestion is to use HLG. Its Input Color Space  is correctly identified in Davinci Resolve as Rec2100 HLG, and so the clips can easily be CST'd to DaVinci Wide Gamut without fidelity loss. I'm getting great results using this method.
4-29 05:59
Use props
BCT
lvl.1
United States

BinaryDigits Posted at 4-29 05:59
Hi there. I originated this thread. Reading between the lines, it is clear that there will be no progress on this issue anytime soon. However, if you want to make the most of the P3's ten bit color space, my suggestion is to use HLG. Its Input Color Space  is correctly identified in Davinci Resolve as Rec2100 HLG, and so the clips can easily be CST'd to DaVinci Wide Gamut without fidelity loss. I'm getting great results using this method.

That's been my experience so far. HLG works well as is, is a known colorspace by all editing programs, can be tweaked in post for more of that contrasty look if that's what someone is going for, and can easily be tone-mapped down to Rec 709 and still looks great (I think).
4-29 06:43
Use props
BCT
lvl.1
United States

Also, just an FYI, but in a firmware update they did make Normal mode 10-bit also. But I still find the baked-in look to have way too much contrast. So at the moment the way I look at it is that D-LOG M can be more easily adjusted in post than Normal mode. That's it.  

However, I did find that even though the D-LOG M footage is recognized as Rec 709,  I can still put D-LOG M into an HLG or PQ colorspace and with some basic exposure and saturation adjustments it can look pretty close to the HLG footage… but obviously with more work.
4-29 13:21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules