[EU] DJI Mini 4 Pro or what before/after the new regulations?
11272 54 2023-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_8AG5TCRVTAay
lvl.1

Netherlands

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-4 01:30
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Regulations require that all drones purchased after  January 1, 2024, will carry a non-removable mandatory category identification label. There is no mandatory requirement for DJI Mini 4 Pro purchased before 2024. Thank you for your valued support.

Then i will stick to my mini 2, was planning to by a mini 4 pro but it's no use under these absurd regulations.
2023-12-22
Use props
Mannheimia
New
Flight distance : 28150 ft
Switzerland

Hi all,
I read all the messages and did research on internet but interestingly I am still not clear about all these parts
So I would like to ask the question in a different way I have mini 4 pro and I passed A1/A3 course training. So if I apply for increasing the limit to 500m, What can happen? Can I use the drone as usual again since I have the A1/A3? what will be the limitations? I am generally using it far from people like mountains because I am living in Switzerland.
I will be glad to hear your thoughts.
Best Regards
Burak
2023-12-22
Use props
StepCH
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4354 ft
Switzerland

Mannheimia Posted at 12-22 15:30
Hi all,
I read all the messages and did research on internet but interestingly I am still not clear about all these parts
So I would like to ask the question in a different way  I have mini 4 pro and I passed A1/A3 course training. So if I apply for increasing the limit to 500m, What can happen? Can I use the drone as usual again since I have the A1/A3? what will be the limitations? I am generally using it far from people like mountains because I am living in Switzerland.

Hi Burak
I'm also from Switzerland and obviously facing the same dilemma. The user djiuser_GaSrJ3XtpeDU (also from Switzerland) posted what I believe to be the clearest and most comprehensive response from Dji on the subject:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 350&pid=3201785

Based mainly on this response, but also on my interpretation of all other Dji responses on this forum, I've decided to wait until the promised re-certification to C1 is (hopefully) made available in 2024.

I also intend to use it primarily in the mountains and as far away from people as possible. Nevertheless, I'd be interested to find a clear definition of what the EASA/BAZL refer to as flying over people as the BAZL differentiate slightly between C0 and C1 in this area. I've found a fairly simplistic, and I believe incomplete definition from the FAA, but nothing so far that would apply to us. It's not really very important to me, but I'll write to the BAZL at some point for clarification.
Step
2023-12-22
Use props
Mannheimia
New
Switzerland

StepCH Posted at 12-22 23:21
Hi Burak
I'm also from Switzerland and obviously facing the same dilemma. The user djiuser_GaSrJ3XtpeDU (also from Switzerland) posted what I believe to be the clearest and most comprehensive response from Dji on the subject:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=303350&pid=3201785

Thank you Step!

I read it and then I checked A1 subcategory from Switzerland`s webpage. Here what I found.

https://www.bazl.admin.ch/bazl/en/home/drohnen/open/bis_250.html

As I understand in here, even we clear C0 label and we can fly in A1 subcategory without any autorization request. So if thats the case, what would be disadvantage in here to increase the limit to 500m?
Thank you guys!
Best Regards
Burak
2023-12-23
Use props
StepCH
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4354 ft
Switzerland

Mannheimia Posted at 12-23 03:14
Thank you Step!

I read it and then I checked A1 subcategory from Switzerland`s webpage. Here what I found.

Hi Bura,
II added further details in a PM so just for completeness here:
There will be no immediate disadvantages to removing certification. The remaining question concerns future developments. We have no idea what might change in 3, 4 or 5 years from now. Will uncertified drones still be permitted in Switzerland, or any other EU country? On the same note, will my drone have been written off before the regulations change? Quite probably.
You have the A1/A3 certificate, living in Switzerland you quite likely already have the required insurance, and flying over uninvolved people isn't a concern, so both options effectively identical for you. My gut feeling is a certified drone is just the safest way forward, but obviously you may come to a different conclusion. I don't think there's a right or wrong way for the moment.
Step
2023-12-23
Use props
Mannheimia
New
Switzerland

StepCH Posted at 12-23 07:50
Hi Bura,
II added further details in a PM so just for completeness here:
There will be no immediate disadvantages to removing certification. The remaining question concerns future developments. We have no idea what might change in 3, 4 or 5 years from now. Will uncertified drones still be permitted in Switzerland, or any other EU country? On the same note, will my drone have been written off before the regulations change? Quite probably.

Hi Step,
Its a great explanation and summary! Thank you so much!
Best Regards
Burak
2023-12-23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_8AG5TCRVTAay Posted at 12-22 12:09
Then i will stick to my mini 2, was planning to by a mini 4 pro but it's no use under these absurd regulations.

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry if you feel that way. Please note that if you purchase the DJI Mini 4 Pro in 2024, there will be a non-removable mandatory category identification label. However, this model still supports to apply for C1 and flying more than 120m in 2024. Application time is to be determined. We appreciate your understanding.
2023-12-25
Use props
merthinx
lvl.1
Spain

Then for those of us who buy a DJI Mini 4 PRO in 2024, will we have the possibility to get the C1 classification and unlock flying over 120 meters?
1-7 09:46
Use props
travelmate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 463340 ft
Bulgaria

merthinx Posted at 1-7 09:46
Then for those of us who buy a DJI Mini 4 PRO in 2024, will we have the possibility to get the C1 classification and unlock flying over 120 meters?

Don't think so... In C1 you have more restrictions btw. Wait till the end of the month, the DJI sales figures to drop and we will see a clever change in February
1-7 21:09
Use props
merthinx
lvl.1
Spain

travelmate Posted at 1-7 21:09
Don't think so... In C1 you have more restrictions btw. Wait till the end of the month, the DJI sales figures to drop and we will see a clever change in February

However, by reading this message from DJI Paladin:

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry if you feel that way. Please note that if you purchase the DJI Mini 4 Pro in 2024, there will be a non-removable mandatory category identification label. However, this model still supports to apply for C1 and flying more than 120m in 2024. Application time is to be determined. We appreciate your understanding.

One could undesrtand that any DJI Mini 4 Pro is eligible for C1. Of course I know that C1 has more restrictions, but depending on the use case maybe you are more interested in dealing with the other extra restrictions but being able to fly over 120 m. Btw, what are the extra restrictions? I know about more limited to fly over people etc, which doesn't affect me a lot given a like to fly on the nature, mountains etc
1-8 02:11
Use props
travelmate
lvl.4
Bulgaria

merthinx Posted at 1-8 02:11
However, by reading this message from DJI Paladin:

Read DJI officilal's oppinions more thoroughly, I'm followin the topic since release, their mind changes 180 deg regarding sales figures and the mood here. Till now not a single firm statement, every statement is not final. For e.g. initial release 120m limit, mood here is bad,sales drop, voila firmware with no limit "it's a bug" later, new opinion frimware with limit, later another new... Look at some topics in the section. Also this class label should be printed or engraved, as current it's a stiker, easily removed and reapplied
1-8 21:20
Use props
Mick0609
New

Germany

Does anyone know if a 2023 activated Mini 4 Pro still can be unlocked for 500 m?

DJI doesn't write a time slot for the unlock: "Mini 4 Pro users who bought their drone before 1 January 2024 with a C0 label7 and who wish to fly higher than 120 meters from take-off point beyond 31 December 2023 can follow our Step by Step Guide below"
1-13 08:46
Use props
RonSRQ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87776 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have to say that I’m totally confused at this point.  I have the Mini 4 Pro with the Intelligent Flight Battery Plus, which means its weight over 249 grams.  It was purchased in December of 2023 and has no labels (CO or C1).  I’m trying to determine the most practical way of meeting the EU regulations when I use my drone on our European trip, in just two months.  Should I request labels from DJI?  Should I get the smaller batteries so that the drone takeoff weight is less than 249 grams?

Any feedback and suggestions would be greatly appreciated as there’s so much confusing and conflicting commentary on various forums.

Thanks in advance.
3-31 07:38
Use props
travelmate
lvl.4
Bulgaria

RonSRQ Posted at 3-31 07:38
I have to say that I’m totally confused at this point.  I have the Mini 4 Pro with the Intelligent Flight Battery Plus, which means its weight over 249 grams.  It was purchased in December of 2023 and has no labels (CO or C1).  I’m trying to determine the most practical way of meeting the EU regulations when I use my drone on our European trip, in just two months.  Should I request labels from DJI?  Should I get the smaller batteries so that the drone takeoff weight is less than 249 grams?

Any feedback and suggestions would be greatly appreciated as there’s so much confusing and conflicting commentary on various forums.

The easy way get the smaller batteries, with C1 label you"ll need also A1/A3 certificate, without label "legacy drone under 250gr bought in 2023"
3-31 22:05
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

RonSRQ Posted at 3-31 07:38
I have to say that I’m totally confused at this point.  I have the Mini 4 Pro with the Intelligent Flight Battery Plus, which means its weight over 249 grams.  It was purchased in December of 2023 and has no labels (CO or C1).  I’m trying to determine the most practical way of meeting the EU regulations when I use my drone on our European trip, in just two months.  Should I request labels from DJI?  Should I get the smaller batteries so that the drone takeoff weight is less than 249 grams?

Any feedback and suggestions would be greatly appreciated as there’s so much confusing and conflicting commentary on various forums.

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The C1 sticker is a compliance certification label for the EU region. Before you use a drone in the EU region, you must apply for C1 compliance certification locally and properly attach the sticker as required. Then, your drone can fly in the region. In other countries or regions, your drone can fly without C1 certification.

To figure out how to register a drone and where you can fly a drone in different European countries, visit https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/domains/civil-drones/naa.
3-31 23:03
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules