Exploring Action Cam Vlogging: Osmo Action vs. Osmo Pocket
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lerty716
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70423 ft
United States

Hey DJI Forum Members,
I'm currently delving into the world of action cam vlogging and find myself at a crossroads between two fantastic DJI products: the Osmo Action and the Osmo Pocket. As someone fairly new to this type of vlogging, I'm seeking advice from those who have hands-on experience with these devices.
I'm particularly interested in understanding:
  • The key differences in performance between the Osmo Action and Osmo Pocket, especially in terms of vlogging.
  • Which device do you find more versatile and user-friendly for dynamic vlogging situations?
  • Can you share any personal experiences regarding the video quality and stabilization capabilities of each?
  • How do the Osmo Action and Osmo Pocket fare in different environments, like urban settings, nature, or during high-movement activities?
  • Are there any specific accessories or setups you would recommend to enhance the vlogging experience with these devices?
  • I also do spray paint art, what are some cool ways I can get some POV shots of that.
  • Also, do they livestream to twitch/ youtube?
Your insights and recommendations will be incredibly valuable to me as I make my decision. I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences and any tips you might have for a budding action cam vlogger.
Thanks so much for your help!
Best,
Tyler Johnson

2023-12-17
Use props
Lerty716
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70423 ft
United States

na I posted twice for some reason
2023-12-17
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Are you referring to the very first models of each product series or the series in general? I do have some experience on the Pocket 2, but unfortunately not from the first Osmo Pocket, the Osmo Pocket 3 nor any of the cameras in the Action series.

Some thoughts on your questions regarding the Pocket 2

1. My guess is the image quality of the Pocket 2 is better, but the Action series cameras can withstand more extreme weather conditions, impacts and being underwater. The Pocket 2 has some good options for external microphones when used with the Do-It-All Handle, but the built-in ones are okay too.
    2. Can't say about this one, have no experience of the Action series cameras.
    3. I think in general, the Pocket 2 footage looks usually nice and the stabilization works brilliantly. It's not the best for low-light environments though.
    4. The Action series is better protected against enviromental hazards, such as high-or-low temperatures, weather conditions, strong physical impacts and water (either in rain or under-water). There is a water-proof case for the Pocket 2, but you can't connect additional accessories to it when using it, and your controls are very limited in it (start-stop recording and shutter, switch between video/photo/slo-mo, power on or off). The stabilization is great, and it does have an active tracking function, but the results with the tracking vary: on 1080p, it usually works fine, but in 4K it often struggles and sometimes is not even available. Impacts are an absolute no-no for the Pocket 2's gimbal, so be careful not to knock it against anything. The selection for adding external accessories is more versatile for the Pocket 2, I think: external microphones, alternative controllers, mounts, ND filters, light panels etc.
    5. I'd go with tripods, mounts, external microphones, LED panels... but it partially depends on what kind of vlog you are planning to do.
    6. There are some mounts that allow attaching the camera to the forehead or the back of your hand, maybe something like that? (Be careful not to paint your camera though! )
    7. The Pocket 2 can livestream to YouTube and Twitch (using the RTMP protocol), if you have the Do-It-All Handle connected to it. You might possibly need to start the stream using a computer, and you will need the phone with the Mimo app for the streaming at first.

Hope these help!
2023-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules