Osmo Action 4 external mic bug
2487 32 2023-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Thiago Noronha
lvl.2
Flight distance : 586152 ft
Brazil

I use the external microphone, and in the first 3 to 4 seconds (sometimes up to 14 seconds) of recording, as soon as the camera is turned on, the external microphone is not activated, it only comes into action after seconds. I use the Boya BY-M3 wired microphone.

Can anyone tell me if this is a bug or some configuration?

External Mic.png

2023-12-18
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

the Power mode on will allow  external audio no issues, correct?  When we use Quickstart, that is a different story, I wait  till I see the green bar and then record. with Any external mic,   Action 3 & 4.
2023-12-18
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

The recognition of the microphone is currently still buggy when you connect a USB-C microphone. With some microphones the recognition works after 2-3 seconds and with others it can take up to 15 seconds. The Boya BY-K4 adapter in combination with a TRS microphone works very reliably but you still lose the first 2-3 seconds. Maybe someone can recommend a USB-C microphone that works reliably. Unfortunately I can't help with that.
2023-12-18
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I have a rode wireless go, I have a godox, I have a fulaim, I have a Aluratek they all act the same. I do have an Apple USB C  to head set and acts the same with any of the ten other mics I own.  I say I see it like 5 seconds of QS all, unless you show a video of hte actual   use.  then maybe DJI can pass to the Relevant team for future evaulation
2023-12-18
Use props
Thiago Noronha
lvl.2
Brazil

Fishycomics Posted at 12-18 08:58
I have a rode wireless go, I have a godox, I have a fulaim, I have a Aluratek they all act the same. I do have an Apple USB C  to head set and acts the same with any of the ten other mics I own.  I say I see it like 5 seconds of QS all, unless you show a video of hte actual   use.  then maybe DJI can pass to the Relevant team for future evaulation

Fishycomics, thank you for the answer, now I know it's not a problem with my microphone. I use the camera on my motorcycle helmet and Quickstart is very important. I changed my Action 1 to Action 4 because of the timecode, but it's another thing that doesn't work correctly. Anyway, let's wait and see if DJI solves these problems.

Note: your videos have already helped me a lot with Action 1. Hugs directly from Brazil.
2023-12-18
Use props
Thiago Noronha
lvl.2
Brazil

Andreas Dueck Posted at 12-18 07:36
The recognition of the microphone is currently still buggy when you connect a USB-C microphone. With some microphones the recognition works after 2-3 seconds and with others it can take up to 15 seconds. The Boya BY-K4 adapter in combination with a TRS microphone works very reliably but you still lose the first 2-3 seconds. Maybe someone can recommend a USB-C microphone that works reliably. Unfortunately I can't help with that.

I bought the Boya BY-K4 adapter and I'm going to use it with my old Action 1mic (TRS) to see if it improves. Thanks for the tip, a shorter delay is better for my recordings with the helmet camera.
2023-12-18
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Thiago Noronha Posted at 12-18 09:59
Fishycomics, thank you for the answer, now I know it's not a problem with my microphone. I use the camera on my motorcycle helmet and Quickstart is very important. I changed my Action 1 to Action 4 because of the timecode, but it's another thing that doesn't work correctly. Anyway, let's wait and see if DJI solves these problems.

Note: your videos have already helped me a lot with Action 1. Hugs directly from Brazil.

you are very welcomed.  DJI has been notified over and over on things and  hope they can work it out.  I learned to simply  give a 5 count and  talk, but sometimes I get clipped on a vid here  and there. I wonder if the DJI wireless Mic 2 with bluetooth will be a fix for it?
2023-12-18
Use props
Thiago Noronha
lvl.2
Brazil

Fishycomics Posted at 12-18 10:14
you are very welcomed.  DJI has been notified over and over on things and  hope they can work it out.  I learned to simply  give a 5 count and  talk, but sometimes I get clipped on a vid here  and there. I wonder if the DJI wireless Mic 2 with bluetooth will be a fix for it?

Maybe the DJI Wireless Mic 2 doesn't have this delay problem, but for use on a helmet in adverse conditions it's not a good option. I prefer to make sure that the wire is connected, I believe that wireless is another variable for possible problems with sound recording (I mean in relation to the battery, disconnection...)
2023-12-18
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

it al depends on each persons situation
2023-12-18
Use props
Teddy65
lvl.3
Flight distance : 543169 ft
Germany

Same problem here with the Ulanzi AM18. I have to wait several seconds (up to around 15) til the green bar appears.
Another point is the low volume at which the sound is recorded. I have to turn the gain level extremely high so that something can be understood.
Thank God I can set auto level in my editing software. But it would be really nice if that wasn't necessary and the problems could be fixed with a firmware update.
2023-12-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble. We will forward this issue to our engineers for further clarification. Kindly please provide us with the connection method you use (connection image or short video showing the connection method) and the original video file then upload it via Google Drive so we can check it further. Please keep us posted. Thank you for your cooperation.
2023-12-19
Use props
Thiago Noronha
lvl.2
Brazil

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-19 00:02
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble. We will forward this issue to our engineers for further clarification. Kindly please provide us with the connection method you use (connection image or short video showing the connection method) and the original video file then upload it via Google Drive so we can check it further. Please keep us posted. Thank you for your cooperation.

Hi, DJI Paladin

Here is a photo of the connection and a link to an original file with the mic delay problem.

Original file video - Google Drive - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uUTvuqwoaU9hdRKmWcBSLthXJYdw5CpL/view?usp=sharing
2023-12-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Thiago Noronha Posted at 12-19 02:11
Hi, DJI Paladin

Here is a photo of the connection and a link to an original file with the mic delay problem.

Thank you for your response. We already coordinated this with our relevant team and we are now waiting for a response. We will surely keep you posted once we receive an update. We appreciate your understanding.
2023-12-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Hi there. Thank you for patiently waiting. Considering these factors, it is recommended that you adjust the shooting sequence by powering on the camera before initiating the recording process, thereby ensuring optimal audio quality. In addition, If the external microphone supports internal recording function (such as DJI Mic), please enable internal recording simultaneously to ensure that there is backup audio available for future use. We appreciate your understanding.
2023-12-22
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

written to the book now is hte answer above that is what the fix is as they will not correct
2023-12-22
Use props
Thiago Noronha
lvl.2
Brazil

Fishycomics Posted at 12-22 03:59
written to the book now is hte answer above that is what the fix is as they will not correct

Unfortunately...
2023-12-22
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

exactly,  till the next release camera this is not new  with gopro either took them a few models to get it corrected so shall DJI
2023-12-22
Use props
Thiago Noronha
lvl.2
Brazil

Could anyone tell me if DJI wireless Mic 2 with bluetooth solved the mic delay problem?
1-4 09:46
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I be interested as well who   can  simply run a test  on that too see if htere is  no delays
1-4 13:34
Use props
Natural Sounds and Sights
lvl.4

Spain

Fishycomics Posted at 1-4 13:34
I be interested as well who   can  simply run a test  on that too see if htere is  no delays

No. It still takes several seconds to connect. 5-6 seconds, I'd guess from looking at it. Same exact issue on the Pocket 3, incidentally.
1-5 23:36
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Natural Sounds and Sights Posted at 1-5 23:36
No. It still takes several seconds to connect. 5-6 seconds, I'd guess from looking at it. Same exact issue on the Pocket 3, incidentally.

Thank you.    answers my question
1-6 05:05
Use props
djiuser_IwfnYPPUpxmY
New
Flight distance : 28442 ft
Australia

Thiago Noronha Posted at 1-4 09:46
Could anyone tell me if DJI wireless Mic 2 with bluetooth solved the mic delay problem?

No. If you have the mic 2 connected via Bluetooth and using quick start to record the delay is around 7 seconds in my testing. Also if you are using quick start and leave a delay of around 15 minutes between shoots the DJI mic 2 will power off meaning you will need to physically turn the mic back on again and reconnect to the Action 4
1-21 20:32
Use props
Thiago Noronha
lvl.2
Brazil

djiuser_IwfnYPPUpxmY Posted at 1-21 20:32
No. If you have the mic 2 connected via Bluetooth and using quick start to record the delay is around 7 seconds in my testing. Also if you are using quick start and leave a delay of around 15 minutes between shoots the DJI mic 2 will power off meaning you will need to physically turn the mic back on again and reconnect to the Action 4

Do you mean that after 15 minutes of non use I have to turn on the Mic 2, turn on the Osmo Action 4, and reconnect manually by going to the OA4 menu....
If the camera is on the helmet, I will have to stop, remove the helmet and manually reconnect before taking the next video?
1-22 01:51
Use props
Punkerage
lvl.1

Brazil

Thiago Noronha Posted at 1-22 01:51
Do you mean that after 15 minutes of non use I have to turn on the Mic 2, turn on the Osmo Action 4, and reconnect manually by going to the OA4 menu....
If the camera is on the helmet, I will have to stop, remove the helmet and manually reconnect before taking the next video?

This camera is not good for motovlogging at all. i really regret spending the money on this.
i've lost too much footage, for poor sound quality. going back to gopro unfortunately!
1-22 18:36
Use props
Thiago Noronha
lvl.2
Brazil

Punkerage Posted at 1-22 18:36
This camera is not good for motovlogging at all. i really regret spending the money on this.
i've lost too much footage, for poor sound quality. going back to gopro unfortunately!

I also thought that about the Osmo Action 1, but with patience I managed to get an excellent configuration to use on my motorcycle trips. Now, I hope to achieve the same with OA4.
1-23 01:35
Use props
Punkerage
lvl.1

Brazil

Just to let everybody know, after the last update (https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=297209), my camera consistently start the external mic in 2 to 3 secconds.
So its much better now.
1-29 17:48
Use props
Thiago Noronha
lvl.2
Brazil

Punkerage Posted at 1-29 17:48
Just to let everybody know, after the last update (https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=297209), my camera consistently start the external mic in 2 to 3 secconds.
So its much better now.

The big problem is that after about 15 minutes that the camera is off, the mic delay becomes long again.
1-29 20:05
Use props
Thiago Noronha
lvl.2
Brazil

I rode my motorcycle 2,000km to go to the Brazil - Paraguay border to buy the Mic 2.

1. The 15 second delay in the mic 2 actuation remain the first time you use it.

2. After approximately 15 minutes, Mic 2 turns off by itself, so during the next recording it is necessary to turn on the camera and Mic 2 manually. In this case, the delay in activating Mic happens again.

Question: Is it possible to configure the Mic 2 that it does not turn off by itself?

In my recordings, I spend about 10 hours on the bike, every time I need to do a new video where the camera was off for 15 minutes, I have to turn on the camera (ok, that's normal), and turn on Mic 2 which is inside the helmet, this is extremely complicated to do with the bike in motion.
1-29 20:17
Use props
djiuser_tWEa5NfuSPJq
New
Australia

I'm not trying to hijack this issue, but I'm not sure where else to post this...

I have not been able to get my osmo action 4 to recognise my DJI Mic 1, every time I try to connect it, it says "Mic 2 not found"
Surely the older mic still works with the new tech?
What do I have to do to fix it?
Thabks
2-25 23:27
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

djiuser_tWEa5NfuSPJq Posted at 2-25 23:27
I'm not trying to hijack this issue, but I'm not sure where else to post this...

I have not been able to get my osmo action 4 to recognise my DJI Mic 1, every time I try to connect it, it says "Mic 2 not found"

mic 1 is only for pocket2
2-26 00:09
Use props
fansb839b6c1
New
United States

Brand new Action 4 today 03/26/2024  using the Sennheiser MKE 400 with their supplied TRS to USB-C cable... not a problem with any other camera... being used in a RideShare reality show... Audio lasts about 4 seconds and then just goes mute!  Really bummed as I lost 4 segments filmed tonight.  Has to be a shotgun mic to pick up the back seat so DJI Mics are not the solution in this case!  What's going on DJI?  You haven't fixed this?
3-27 21:44
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

fansb839b6c1 Posted at 3-27 21:44
Brand new Action 4 today 03/26/2024  using the Sennheiser MKE 400 with their supplied TRS to USB-C cable... not a problem with any other camera... being used in a RideShare reality show... Audio lasts about 4 seconds and then just goes mute!  Really bummed as I lost 4 segments filmed tonight.  Has to be a shotgun mic to pick up the back seat so DJI Mics are not the solution in this case!  What's going on DJI?  You haven't fixed this?

I assume that the error in your case occurs with the Sennheiser MKE400.
The first 4 seconds are recorded via the Osmo Action 4's internal microphones and when the handshake is complete and the switch to the external microphone is to take place, no audio signal comes from the MKE400.
I would check whether the MKE400 turns on at all (maybe only works with DSLR and DSLM cameras).
The included USB C to TRS cable could also cause the problem.
3-28 03:51
Use props
djiuser_vB7rsMeLSR1z
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29892 ft
United Kingdom

I have Osmo action 4 and Rode wireless go 2. It was doing the record sound for 20 seconds / not record sound at all. I've updated the firmware, but haven't had a chance to test it yet. Are DJI saying the bug is fixed?????
3-31 08:38
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules