My first impressions - lacking
459 7 2023-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mpicco
New

Portugal

Hello everyone, first post here.

Some year or so ago, I got my girlfriend an Asus brand gimbal. She liked it, I liked it, we thought the features were quite good. I wanted to get one for myself but thought I would spend a little more, and in a brand that is well known for its photography-electronics products, I went with DJI. So, I got myself an Osmo Mobile 6

Lack of App in Play Store

Right after receiving it, I was surprised and disappointed in equal measure about the accompanying app not being in the Android Play store. You have to go and manually get it from the DJI website and allow 3rd party apps to be installed? What's the reason for this? Copy-cat Battle Royale cheap-arse games can make it to the Play Store but the DJI App can't?

For completeness, let me say I took the gimbal and my brand-new Pixel 8 on a trip where I got to test all of this in nature, which was my intention.

UI

After getting it installed, I was a bit disappointed again by its UI. It's not great. The amount of clutter you're greeted with compared to other apps for similar devices
A huge list of video tutorials and shoot guides. Don't need it, I need the app to launch quickly and not get stuck loading the previews to these, which spends mobile data probably, needlessly.

All of the UI is a bit too tiny, and hard to get at with your fingers especially if the screen is a little less sensitive than normal due to very cold fingers.

Video recording

Some of the videos I took have a very clear choppiness to them as if some frames were being skipped, or just general lagginess. It can't be the phone, it's brand new and has a beefy processor.
Here's a video I shot, I think you can see exactly what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knL40UPdx7I

If you use your native phone camera, this obviously is not a problem, but you lose the tracking ability of the gimbal, so what's the point?

Lacking modes
One of my favourite modes in my gf's much cheaper Asus gimbal was the one where you can give it different places to point at and a time frame and it would automatically pan between those. I couldn't find this mode in the Mimo app

I do like the robust feel of the gimbal itself, the quality of the tracking when you get it to work, and the general performance and battery life of it. As a tripod, works perfectly fine, but I would like to see more native integration to Android, it just seems like an after thought at the time.

2023-12-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You'll find the panning action under motion lapse.  
2023-12-26
Use props
fans15c6fb85
lvl.4

United States

DAFlys Posted at 12-26 06:35
You'll find the panning action under motion lapse.

Timelapse frame rate is limited to 2 FPS at the fastest.  If DJI were to extend this to 30FPS it might be viable, but a 15x speedup at a minimum won't work for most people.
2023-12-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We understand the importance of these features and rest assured that we will coordinate these feedback to our relevant team for attention. Please note that because the compatibility strategy between the DJI App and Google Play Store is changing, you currently cannot finish downloading and updating using Google Play. Do not be concerned. To ensure your usage, we have launched a DJI official download channel. You can visit the DJI official website to download and install the latest app and obtain complete updates on the app. Please see these three features of the Osmo Mobile 6 and see if this works on your end:

1. Timelapse is suitable for recording the passing of time at a fixed scene by mounting Osmo Mobile 6/DJI OM 5/Osmo Mobile SE on a tripod or base.

2. Motionlapse allows users to record a moving timelapse video by setting camera points.

3. Hyperlapse allows users to record everything passing by as they hold the gimbal and walk. ActiveTrack provides more options for flexible shooting.

Lastly, please confirm if the video issue you mentioned in the post was present on both the DJI Mimo app and the original camera app of your mobile device. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-12-26
Use props
mpicco
New

Portugal

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-26 22:20
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We understand the importance of these features and rest assured that we will coordinate these feedback to our relevant team for attention. Please note that because the compatibility strategy between the DJI App and Google Play Store is changing, you currently cannot finish downloading and updating using Google Play. Do not be concerned. To ensure your usage, we have launched a DJI official download channel. You can visit the DJI official website to download and install the latest app and obtain complete updates on the app. Please see these three features of the Osmo Mobile 6 and see if this works on your end:

1. Timelapse is suitable for recording the passing of time at a fixed scene by mounting Osmo Mobile 6/DJI OM 5/Osmo Mobile SE on a tripod or base.

The video is an example shot in the Mimo app. The native app works flawlessly.
2023-12-27
Use props
djiuser_gb0B42E0vzXM
New

France

mpicco Posted at 12-27 10:53
I've the same issue with my Google Pixel 7 Pro.
When using Mimo App the video lag, when using built-in camera app no issue
2023-12-28
Use props
fans15c6fb85
lvl.4

United States

I just looked at your video, and it looks very much like the problem I see with 4k60.  Were you shooting at 4K 60FPS, or is it a separate problem?
2023-12-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for your response. Can you please try to reinstall the application on your mobile device to further isolate the issue? Also, please upload the original video file via Google Drive then send the link here for further investigation. We appreciate your cooperation.
2023-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules