Choppy footage
665 8 1-3 01:25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Toph101
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi,
I am new to the Osmo and new to video. I'm a pro photographer of 12 years though so I have some understanding. I bough the Osmo becasue I thought it will be easier for me to play around and learn video techniques with simple kit rtaher than using my Sony mirrorless camers straight away.

I have an Osmo Mobile 6, iphone 14 pro max and M1 Macbook Pro with final cut pro.

I took some video clips to produce a walkthrough for a friends holiday let property. I took them at 60fps and slowed then down to 30fps in FCP, but they are choppy. I used Optical Flow to try to correct the choppyness but this didn't help. It's annoying becasue the property is 150 miles away so I cannot re-shoot it easily. The only positive is my wife didn't notice the choppyness at all so I'm sure it will be fine for a website walkthrough video for now. However,  I obvioulsy want to produce the best quality video going fowards.

After some research I realsed that as I used the auto fucntion on the mimo app that maybe the shutter speed wasn't 1/120 as required for smooth footage. I therefore had a play around in my home with manual settings to ensure a shutter speed of 1/120. However the footage is still choppy.

I downloaded filmic pro and took a similr clip with the same settings and this clip is not choppy at all. It looks super smooth at 60fps and slowed to 30fps.

Filmic pro is a cool app but i think it's too expensive for me to use all the time. Also, the Mimo app has some cool features that I like.

Can anyone shed some light on why the mimo app would create choppy video while Filmic pro does not?

BTW I have tried both apps without the Osmo so it is the video that is choppy, not some problem with the Osmo.

Manh thanks
Toph
1-3 01:25
Use props
fans15c6fb85
lvl.4

United States

I have an ongoing thread with DJI about this: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D783%26typeid%3D783
They have been in denial sometime that there is a problem.  It is unique to 4K60p.  If you record at 2K or 30p the problem goes away.  The problem is NOT exhibited by the Apple camera app, nor the Blackmagic app when used with the gimbal, only Mimo.
1-3 09:28
Use props
Toph101
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thank you, I noticed your thread after I posted and wondered if it was the same issue.
1-3 09:30
Use props
fans15c6fb85
lvl.4

United States

Toph101 Posted at 1-3 09:30
Thank you, I noticed your thread after I posted and wondered if it was the same issue.

I am in-process of preparing an upload to them demonstrating the problem
1-3 09:32
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Please confirm if the issue also occurs when using the built-in camera on your mobile device while using the unit as a stabilizer. If the issue only occurs on the DJI Mimo app, please try the following:

1. Check whether the mobile phone system permissions have been enabled in the DJI Mimo app.
2. Reset the Bluetooth and try to reconnect to DJI Mimo.
3. Ensure that the app version for DJI Mimo and the gimbal firmware are up to date.
4. Try to roll your foot gently from the heel to the ball of your foot when walking (Avoid shooting in windy environments as much as possible).
5. If a high resolution and frame rate are used for shooting, the mobile phone will automatically disable EIS, and the anti-shaking effect will decrease. Try to lower the resolution and frame rate for shooting to see if the issue occurs again.
6. After recording videos with an Osmo Mobile Series product, go to the Playback interface in DJI Mimo and find a video with the vibration issue. Tap “” in the bottom right corner to download the video, then tap “Stabilization”. After that, export the video and the issue will be improved.
1-3 23:52
Use props
Toph101
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi, thanks for your advice. Howevre, it's not a stabilisation issue, it's a video file issue, it looks like there are dropped frames. It doesn't happen with the native app or other video apps. It is more pronounce when slowering the 4k60 video down to 4k30. The file produced by the mimo app states it is 52fps not 60fps.
1-4 01:03
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Can you share an example?
(sorry, a bit late to the party)
Dropped frames are often the cause indeed.
(I had that when I forgot to set my framerate to 25 instead of 30 and my 'other' camera was fixed to the PAL default (50) so yeah. Dropped frames, unless I made my editor slow the footage down exactly to 25 (or speed up to 50, but that was not what I wanted).
It does get rid of the dropped frames with my editor.
2-9 01:45
Use props
djiuser_IV5zNGtxNYtR
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

This issue is continuous and it is utter failure on the part of DJI to recognize this problem.

I have the same thing and have spent hours going over 3rd party website reviews trying to fix this issue.

Specifically using the MIMO app and using the zoom wheel. Any change in zoom results to choppy footage. It is totally unusable. I am trying to film vertical reels for clients and cannot. It is so frustrating this has not been fixed by firmware or in the app depending where the issue is arising.
4-8 16:37
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_IV5zNGtxNYtR Posted at 4-8 16:37
This issue is continuous and it is utter failure on the part of DJI to recognize this problem.

I have the same thing and have spent hours going over 3rd party website reviews trying to fix this issue.

Hi there. Sorry about the trouble. Will it be fine if you post a video showing the issue? Thank you very much.
4-8 21:27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules