Can I use the DJI Mic 2 to record the sound from a car?
788 13 2-11 04:10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_rkBK2tzQ3KiC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8894528 ft
Greece

Greetings to all forum members.
I would like you to help me if you can in the following idea I have to make a video of my car when I enter a racing car track.

I go to car tracks and adjust my smartphone to take video. I would like to buy the DJI Mic 2 so that I can adapt it to my smartphone Huawei P30 (it works perfectly) and place one transmitter near the exhaust of my car and the second transmitter inside the engine compartment. I will use the windsceens thats are in the package on both transmitters so that I don't have a problem with the air, at least on the transmitter that is in the exhaust. This microphone can withstand up to 120 dB SPL. Do you think it will work? Is there anything I should watch out for? Thank you.

2-11 04:10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just keep in mind that electronics and extreme heat do not mix well.  
2-11 04:42
Use props
djiuser_rkBK2tzQ3KiC
lvl.1
Greece

So what you suggest is that I don't try to put the transmitter in the engine bay.  I understand this and will probably avoid it.  I'll see if it's better to mount it outside the engine.  Thank you very much!
2-11 05:43
Use props
Natural Sounds and Sights
lvl.3

Spain

Personally, I wouldn't. I'd use a decent shotgun mic and work at a safe distance.... it is also likely to sound more 'realistic' as no-one listens to exhausts from inches away. In addition, you won't risk clipping the mic or contaminating it.
2-11 06:20
Use props
djiuser_rkBK2tzQ3KiC
lvl.1
Greece

To tell you the truth, I'm a little disappointed with your answer because I thought it would work the way I thought it would.  But if I want to do it I will have to resort to the difficult solution with the type of microphone you suggest.  And in addition I will need a machine to check the power coming from each microphone.  I have seen these solutions on You Tube but they take a lot of preparation to make.  Anyway, thank you for the reply.
2-11 06:28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_rkBK2tzQ3KiC Posted at 2-11 05:43
So what you suggest is that I don't try to put the transmitter in the engine bay.  I understand this and will probably avoid it.  I'll see if it's better to mount it outside the engine.  Thank you very much!

You're welcome and good luck on your project.  
2-12 04:24
Use props
djiuser_rkBK2tzQ3KiC
lvl.1
Greece

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-12 04:24
You're welcome and good luck on your project.

Thank you very much for being willing to help me!
2-12 06:52
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_rkBK2tzQ3KiC Posted at 2-11 06:28
To tell you the truth, I'm a little disappointed with your answer because I thought it would work the way I thought it would.  But if I want to do it I will have to resort to the difficult solution with the type of microphone you suggest.  And in addition I will need a machine to check the power coming from each microphone.  I have seen these solutions on You Tube but they take a lot of preparation to make.  Anyway, thank you for the reply.

It will work, the question would be, to what degree, you might have to put it through an editor to adjust the levels. Only one way to find out
2-12 18:05
Use props
djiuser_rkBK2tzQ3KiC
lvl.1
Greece

Bashy Posted at 2-12 18:05
It will work, the question would be, to what degree, you might have to put it through an editor to adjust the levels. Only one way to find out

Yes it will work. Simply making this system is beyond my willpower and I don't know if I want to deal with it that much. Thank you for your reply!
2-12 21:39
Use props
LeMagnifique
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3281 ft
Czechia

djiuser_rkBK2tzQ3KiC Posted at 2-12 21:39
Yes it will work. Simply making this system is beyond my willpower and I don't know if I want to deal with it that much. Thank you for your reply!

a) it will work just make sure to optimise the volume in postproduction
b) there is a dedicated forum section for MIC2 see here
2-12 22:57
Use props
Natural Sounds and Sights
lvl.3

Spain

LeMagnifique Posted at 2-12 22:57

The MIC 2 builtin mics top out (clip) at 120dB....  you could easily get close to that in the situations you describe. I'd normally use a mic with at least 130dB of headroom for something like that.
2-13 01:26
Use props
djiuser_rkBK2tzQ3KiC
lvl.1
Greece

LeMagnifique Posted at 2-12 22:57

Thank you very much for your answer! Apologies to everyone on the forum for putting my post in the wrong section!
2-13 13:53
Use props
djiuser_rkBK2tzQ3KiC
lvl.1
Greece

Natural Sounds and Sights Posted at 2-13 01:26
The MIC 2 builtin mics top out (clip) at 120dB....  you could easily get close to that in the situations you describe. I'd normally use a mic with at least 130dB of headroom for something like that.

Yes, I had read in the technical specifications that it is up to 120 dB. I was just thinking that if I could use the specifics to make the videos I want that I could lower the recording volume inside the receiver. Unfortunately, it seems that I have to abandon the plan I had in mind.
2-13 14:05
Use props
djiuser_rkBK2tzQ3KiC
lvl.1
Greece

I would ask the moderators of the forum if possible to move my post to the correct section.
2-13 14:09
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules