Using the Action 2 magnetic lanyard with the DJI Mic transmitter?
631 16 2-24 12:31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Recently, I have been doing some work projects that have involved the DJI Mic in them. The person filmed in the videos has the transmitter attached to his clothes using the magnets of the DJI Mic, which are supposed to hold the transmitter attached through the cloth between the magnets and the magnetic clip of the transmitter. However, the person in question is wearing a reasonably thick woolly jumper, and it is somewhat questionable if the magnets are strong enough to hold the transmitter in it's place through it. I would otherwise use the clip instead of the magnets, but using the clip places the transmitter too close to his chin, and if he turns his head, there is the risk of his chin coming in contact with the microphone and ruining the audio.

As I started to think of a possible solution to this problem, it came into my mind that there is a magnetic lanyard accessory available for the Action 2, and I started to wonder if I could use that to keep the transmitter at the appropriate place, the idea being that the lanyard is not put under the clothes but over them. If the pendant is of the right type, the transmitter could attach directly to it with no cloth in between, creating a more firm magnetic bond. The person in question is not involved in vigorous movements or exercise, just standing, talking, and at most walking in a calm pace, so no risk of sudden movement causing it to fall off of it.

Has anyone tried this? If you have, did it work out for you?

2-24 12:31
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's worth a try, I'd say.  Having done a fair bit of walking and filming with the Action 2 and battery pack around my neck, I can tell you it takes a fairly vigorous movement to detach it when there is no material between the magnet and the keeper. I don't think the DJI Mic is any heavier than the combined Action 2 and battery pack, so it should hold well.  Try it and see.
2-24 15:34
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

you can use the Telesin magnet mount
IMG_20230625_153118.jpg
IMG_20240225_042659.jpg
2-24 19:08
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-24 15:34
It's worth a try, I'd say.  Having done a fair bit of walking and filming with the Action 2 and battery pack around my neck, I can tell you it takes a fairly vigorous movement to detach it when there is no material between the magnet and the keeper. I don't think the DJI Mic is any heavier than the combined Action 2 and battery pack, so it should hold well.  Try it and see.

I think that it's not the weight that would be the problem, the thing I am wondering a bit more about is if the whole pendant part of the lanyard is magnetic or if it's just the L-shaped bracket that is. I do suspect that the surface of the magnetic contact should be reasonably large and straight towards the DJI Mic's transmitter's magnetic clip in order to ensure the firmness of the magnetic bond.

Which part of the Action 2 attaches magnetically to the lanyard? Is it only attached at the bottom of the camera (the side with the contact pins), or is there some magnetic surface on the display side of the Action 2?
2-25 05:08
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

lutzmix Posted at 2-24 19:08
you can use the Telesin magnet mount

That looks like a very good option for this, thanks for the tip And if I have understood right, the Insta360 magnetic pendant designed for the Go 2 or Go3 camera could also work for this.

The reason I originally asked for the compatibility of the DJI version was that I have some DJI Credit available and was wondering if I could order that using the credits. But maybe I ought to consider the Telesin mount instead. Will have to see how it is available here in Finland. But overall, that might well be exactly the solution I am looking for, so thanks for that
2-25 05:12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-25 05:08
I think that it's not the weight that would be the problem, the thing I am wondering a bit more about is if the whole pendant part of the lanyard is magnetic or if it's just the L-shaped bracket that is. I do suspect that the surface of the magnetic contact should be reasonably large and straight towards the DJI Mic's transmitter's magnetic clip in order to ensure the firmness of the magnetic bond.

Which part of the Action 2 attaches magnetically to the lanyard? Is it only attached at the bottom of the camera (the side with the contact pins), or is there some magnetic surface on the display side of the Action 2?

Both the flat pendant attached to the lanyard, and the detachable L shaped retaining bar, are magnetic independently.
2-25 05:42
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-25 05:42
Both the flat pendant attached to the lanyard, and the detachable L shaped retaining bar, are magnetic independently.

Good to know that, thanks for informing me Will have to seriously consider between the three options, depending on the availability and possible additional functions. The option to attach GoPro-type mount adapters to Telesin looks tempting, but I do wonder if the magnetic bond is strong enough to hold them in place with the camera mounted or whether I should go for a separate model where the mount is fixed in place.
2-25 05:49
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-25 05:49
Good to know that, thanks for informing me  Will have to seriously consider between the three options, depending on the availability and possible additional functions. The option to attach GoPro-type mount adapters to Telesin looks tempting, but I do wonder if the magnetic bond is strong enough to hold them in place with the camera mounted or whether I should go for a separate model where the mount is fixed in place.

Magnetic mounts do have their advantages - but also limitations.  An inadvertent knock can cause them to detach.
2-25 06:01
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-25 06:01
Magnetic mounts do have their advantages - but also limitations.  An inadvertent knock can cause them to detach.

True that. I am not planning on any extreme mountain biking or other vigorous activities with it, but I still am a bit hesitant about it.
2-25 07:24
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-25 07:24
True that. I am not planning on any extreme mountain biking or other vigorous activities with it, but I still am a bit hesitant about it.

I had that fright in Paris, you may recall, last February. The unit dropped off the lanyard and clonked onto the pavement.  Luckily, no damage apart from a tiny scratch on the case.
2-25 09:42
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-25 09:42
I had that fright in Paris, you may recall, last February. The unit dropped off the lanyard and clonked onto the pavement.  Luckily, no damage apart from a tiny scratch on the case.

Yes, I remember the incident. Probably worth bearing that in my mind. I assume you were not running, jumping or anything similar by then?
2-25 13:19
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-25 13:19
Yes, I remember the incident. Probably worth bearing that in my mind. I assume you were not running, jumping or anything similar by then?

No, I was just standing and may have nudged it with my arm or something.
2-25 23:40
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

you can use it!
without the small tx magnets
IMG_20240226_101724.jpg
IMG_20240226_101704.jpg
2-26 01:21
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-25 23:40
No, I was just standing and may have nudged it with my arm or something.

Thanks for that clarification, will have to bear that in mind when deciding what would be the best model for me.
2-27 14:03
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

lutzmix Posted at 2-26 01:21
you can use it!
without the small tx magnets

Thank you very much for pointing this out. Will have to consider a little which one to go for, but good to know that is one of the options if I decide to try to get the Telesin one and it's not available for some reason.
2-27 14:05
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-27 14:03
Thanks for that clarification, will have to bear that in mind when deciding what would be the best model for me.

Good luck with it
2-27 14:32
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Thanks, I do believe I will figure out the optimal solution
2-27 14:54
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules