Mic 2 clipping with lowest gain (motorcycle), even on 32bit file
807 15 3-5 13:29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aamike68
lvl.1
United States

Hey guys im kind of a noob but I ride motorcycles and like to record the audio of the exhaust (Mic 2 in jacket pocket w/ deadcat)). I used to use a Zoom H1N but hated syncing the file to multiple clips, so the Action 4/ Mic 2 combo seemed perfect. I have gone on 3 rides now, and the audio sounds great (-12 gain, low cut off, noise reduction off) but sometimes there is very bad clipping/peaking on higher revs and speeds. I thought I would be safe with using the internal file (32bit float) and its quieter but the clipping is exactly the same which is very disapointing. I havent tried noise reduction yet, would that be like the limiter setting on my zoom H1N and prevent it from over exposure? I thought that was the whole point of 32bit float. Either way, please let me know if there is any solution to this or if I should just got back to my old recording setup. thanks guys.
3-5 13:29
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

He have a solution that could work using Davinci Resolve and 32 bit. He also is here on the forum.

3-5 14:08
Use props
aamike68
lvl.1
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 3-5 14:08
He have a solution that could work using Davinci Resolve and 32 bit. He also is here on the forum.

Very interesting thankyou for posting! I use adobe premiere, Ill have to see if I can add that hard limit because that would be a game changer. I really wish DJI would add this in a firmware update, I really feel like a lot of moto vloggers are having the same issue with it.
3-5 15:35
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

aamike68 Posted at 3-5 15:35
Very interesting thankyou for posting! I use adobe premiere, Ill have to see if I can add that hard limit because that would be a game changer. I really wish DJI would add this in a firmware update, I really feel like a lot of moto vloggers are having the same issue with it.

I also hope they would.
And I like videos where people find solutions for some "small things" for us others like he do.
3-5 16:18
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

In your case it would be possible that the microphone itself has reached its limits. 120dB is the upper limit for the internal microphone. Even the 32 bit float file cannot help you in this case.

It would also be possible that the internally stored file is actualy the 24 Bit version, which would then be 6dB quieter, but would also be influenced by the soft limiter (not tested with the current firmware).
3-5 16:38
Use props
predo
lvl.1

Brazil

I'm having the same problem, but it's not motorcycle videos.
Here is an example, where the presenter is screaming, but it happens even when talking normally: https://youtube.com/shorts/K3EauUWEfA8?feature=share

I recently upgraded to the version 2, but the same thing did not happen when I was using DJI MIC 1.
I've already tried lowering the gain and adding hard limiter (on Premiere Pro).

Can you guys help me?
3-7 16:16
Use props
aamike68
lvl.1
United States

Andreas Dueck Posted at 3-5 16:38
In your case it would be possible that the microphone itself has reached its limits. 120dB is the upper limit for the internal microphone. Even the 32 bit float file cannot help you in this case.

It would also be possible that the internally stored file is actualy the 24 Bit version, which would then be 6dB quieter, but would also be influenced by the soft limiter (not tested with the current firmware).

Im sure this is the case, how could I tell if the internal file was 24bit instead of 32? Even introducing a limiter in post doesnt help, the source audio already has the crackle of it peaking so the post limiter just makes it quieter. I really think DJI needs to add a better limiter like you say in your vid. My H1N has an awesome limiter, it never peaks with it on, I just hate how big it is and that I have to do all the sync work in post.
3-7 17:18
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

aamike68 Posted at 3-7 17:18
Im sure this is the case, how could I tell if the internal file was 24bit instead of 32? Even introducing a limiter in post doesnt help, the source audio already has the crackle of it peaking so the post limiter just makes it quieter. I really think DJI needs to add a better limiter like you say in your vid. My H1N has an awesome limiter, it never peaks with it on, I just hate how big it is and that I have to do all the sync work in post.

MediaInfo provides easy access to technical and tag information about video and audio files.
3-7 18:07
Use props
Natural Sounds and Sights
lvl.3

Spain

120dB of SPL can easily be exceeded momentarily by revving engines close up or by people screaming at close range. It might sound a lot, but it's not, really....

Here's a useful table: https://www.iacacoustics.com/blo ... les-of-noise-levels

Limiters in gear like this are also digital - not analog as you find in say, Sound Devices recorders. There's a big difference! There's also a (massive) difference in the preamps, of course, generally... and in how the low-cut filters perform. Strictly speaking you don't need limiters with 32-bit float, but you can still push the mic capsule beyond its limits, and these are CHEAP mic apsules. They're not Sennheiser MKH series.... low SPL handling is often seen in relatively low cost gear and mics (quite a few of the 'lower end' Rode mics even the otherwise excellent Videomic NTG also break up badly once you push 120db). There are some mics out there that can handle 186dB!
3-7 23:43
Use props
Aaron Arkless
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Any solutions so far? I have the same issue and feel like i've wasted my money...
4-7 09:18
Use props
aamike68
lvl.1
United States

Aaron Arkless Posted at 4-7 09:18
Any solutions so far? I have the same issue and feel like i've wasted my money...

Nope, the only thing I can think of is moving it further from the exhaust. I've decided to buy the lav mic for the mic2 to use for commentary and I'll just keep using my zoom h1n for the exhaust audio since it has a good built in limiter. Really unfortunate because they show motorcycles and sports cars in the mic 2 trailer being used with flawless audio, and tote the 32bit float as a end all solution to peaking the mic, which is bullsh*t.
4-7 09:29
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

aamike68 Posted at 4-7 09:29
Nope, the only thing I can think of is moving it further from the exhaust. I've decided to buy the lav mic for the mic2 to use for commentary and I'll just keep using my zoom h1n for the exhaust audio since it has a good built in limiter. Really unfortunate because they show motorcycles and sports cars in the mic 2 trailer being used with flawless audio, and tote the 32bit float as a end all solution to peaking the mic, which is bullsh*t.

Just to be sure, do you know that the 32 bit file is only stored on the DJI Mic 2 transmitter and has to be exported separately via USB C cable?
4-7 16:28
Use props
aamike68
lvl.1
United States

Andreas Dueck Posted at 4-7 16:28
Just to be sure, do you know that the 32 bit file is only stored on the DJI Mic 2 transmitter and has to be exported separately via USB C cable?

Yup, unfortunately the 32bit file also has the clipping/pinging at the same time stamps.
4-7 16:32
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

predo Posted at 3-7 16:16
I'm having the same problem, but it's not motorcycle videos.
Here is an example, where the presenter is screaming, but it happens even when talking normally: https://youtube.com/shorts/K3EauUWEfA8?feature=share

Can you give us more information?
I see 2x DJI Mic2 transmitters in your short and therefore assume that you are using them with the DJI Mic 2 receiver or with the Pocket 3 via Bluetooth. In both cases it would also be important which settings you use. 32Bit directly from the transmitter?
At the moment I'm tending to rule out the DJI Mic 2 transmitter as a source of error. Unless you somehow hit the resonance of the transmitter housing and that caused the distortion. But that's unlikely. It's much more likely that the preamp in your camera is overloaded.
4-8 15:00
Use props
kdog356
lvl.1

United States

I'm having a similar problem motorcycle vlogging using the DJI Mic 2 bluetooth connected to the Insta360 X4. I've tried many combinations including connecting my Movo ACM400 lav mic to the receiver via 3.5mm jack. This mic is inside my full face helmet. I used the same mic connected directly to a GoPro 8 black and it worked great.

But with the DJI Mic 2, I get static when talking when there's even a little bit of noise. With the mic in the full-face helmet I would think this is no problem, as it was no problem connecting to a GoPro.

I have also tried multiple negative gain settings to test that, but nothing seems to help much.

What can I do to eliminate this static and get a clean audio?!?!

I have a video I can link you to that demonstrates the issue, but apparently I don't have permission to post the URL ?!?!?!

And again, this is just the receiver, Bluetooth connected to an Insta360 X4 - no transmitter.

Help!!!
5-3 19:52
Use props
fans9b663411
lvl.2

France

Hi,

Same for me. Biking videos.
Switch from an Insta360 X3 to the new Insta360 X4. All soubd features was working fine with the X3, but with the X4, same settings (bluetooth connected, -6dB gain in the X4 for external mic), the sound is realy bad...
Clipping / scratching when I'm talking, and sound seems really "flat", worst than the X3.
Don't heared anymore shiftings, people speaking around me are hard to ear... Wind, on the ither hand, is less earable...

For me, I think sound attenuation is turn ON, but all settings I've choiced are OFF...

Help !
5-5 09:25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules