278 13 4-2 11:06
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gizmo6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 28140 ft
  • >>>
United States

My DJI Mavic 3 Battery Charging bays do the job of charing my M3 batteries just fine.  However my M3 charging bay can only charge one (1) battery at a time, and is missing the  'Storage Mode' capability that helps prolong the life of the battery.  It it is sad that DJI abdicated this feature in the Mavic 3 battery Ecosystem.  Maybe I am missing something.  At any rate I have found a better battery charging solution.

I found a compatible Mavic 3 Battery charging bay product that can charge Three (3) M3 batteries at the same time, and has a storage and discharge functions.  I've have three of them now and they work great.  There is a LCD readout on the charging bay that provides useful data, and there is a discharge function as well.

I wanted to put this out there for users that miss, or would like to have the battery storage feature.  

This may be old news.  PM me if you want to know who makes it.

Fly Safe.

4-2 11:06
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Discharging and storage is implemented in the battery which manages it without needing to connect it to a charger.

1.JPG
DJI_Mavic_3_Pro_User_Manual-EN.pdf (djicdn.com)
4-2 11:18
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

For third party chargers, be careful. I used this type of charger for Phantom 4 because the DJI one can also only manage one battery at a time.
Is it a coincidence ? but all the batteries that have swollen, swell while being connected to these third party chargers...
4-2 11:22
Use props
Gizmo6
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Looks like I missed the Memo... so to speak.

I'll just be happy that I can charge 3 batteries at once, if needed.

Thank you.
4-2 12:44
Use props
Gizmo6
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 4-2 11:22
For third party chargers, be careful. I used this type of charger for Phantom 4 because the DJI one can also only manage one battery at a time.
Is it a coincidence ? but all the batteries that have swollen, swell while being connected to these third party chargers...

I've had mine in the bays for over a month now and no swelling as of yet.  I will monitor them.

Thanks for the heads up.
4-2 12:46
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Gizmo6 Posted at 4-2 12:46
I've had mine in the bays for over a month now and no swelling as of yet.  I will monitor them.

Thanks for the heads up.

I imagine you have the one with the integrated screen. I destroyed 3 batteries using the blue one, without screen, for phantom 4. Once again it may be a coincidence, but the fact is that with the DJI charger there was no problem. It is also the same manufacturer that produces these two chargers, “Parbeson”.
2.JPG 1.JPG
4-2 21:00
Use props
Gizmo6
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 4-2 21:00
I imagine you have the one with the integrated screen. I destroyed 3 batteries using the blue one, without screen, for phantom 4. Once again it may be a coincidence, but the fact is that with the DJI charger there was no problem. It is also the same manufacturer that produces these two chargers, “Parbeson”.
[view_image][view_image]

I am using the "Hanatori" charger system with the integrated screen as depicted in the first diagram.  It supports charging, storage and discharging with adjustable discharge level (5%-80%).  It has input over-voltage, under-voltage and over-current protection.  It also allows the M3 Battery to be used as a power brick to charge other devices like cell phones, etc..

I remember seeing the "Blue Brick" charger in your second diagram out there, however my P4P battery charging bays support storage mode, so I never opted to try a 3rd party charging solution.  I did think that having a solution that would charge multiple P4P batteries simultaneously would be convenient.  I'm glad I did not make that move.

It sounds like the blue brick charger you are referring to overcharged your P4P batteries, and thereby damaged them?  Did this happen the first time you used it? or did it happen over repeated charging cycles?
4-3 03:02
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Gizmo6 Posted at 4-3 03:02
I am using the "Hanatori" charger system with the integrated screen as depicted in the first diagram.  It supports charging, storage and discharging with adjustable discharge level (5%-80%).  It has input over-voltage, under-voltage and over-current protection.  It also allows the M3 Battery to be used as a power brick to charge other devices like cell phones, etc..

I remember seeing the "Blue Brick" charger in your second diagram out there, however my P4P battery charging bays support storage mode, so I never opted to try a 3rd party charging solution.  I did think that having a solution that would charge multiple P4P batteries simultaneously would be convenient.  I'm glad I did not make that move.

I have a somewhat particular use, the drone flies continuously for up to 12 hours a day. The batteries are in rows, one that flies, one that rests, two that recharge. By doing this we can ensure a continuous day without interruption apart from landing for battery exchange. It was while doing this that I lost batteries on this charger.

One of the commercial arguments being to charge with more power than a DJI charger, therefore obviously faster. 4A available per battery.

Faster is partly false. from 0 to 90% yes, but from 0 to 100% with balanced elements, well not at all! And I think that's what's causing the batteries to swell. You can see the voltage of each element of the battery in the Pilot2 application for sure, DJI Fly certainly but I don't know where. It's worth taking a look from time to time.

4-3 06:13
Use props
Gizmo6
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 4-3 06:13
I have a somewhat particular use, the drone flies continuously for up to 12 hours a day. The batteries are in rows, one that flies, one that rests, two that recharge. By doing this we can ensure a continuous day without interruption apart from landing for battery exchange. It was while doing this that I lost batteries on this charger.

One of the commercial arguments being to charge with more power than a DJI charger, therefore obviously faster. 4A available per battery.

A high usage Use Case for sure...  I would be concerned with the batteries cooling enough before going back to the charger.  It appears that you have that figured out.

Thanks for your valuable input.

Fly Safe.
4-3 09:06
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI Mavic 3 supports the Auto-Discharging Function, this feature is applicable even if the batteries are not inserted into the charging hub. Please note that the battery automatically discharges to 96% of the battery level when it is idle for three days, and automatically discharges to 60% when it is idle for nine days. Lastly,  it is normal that the battery charging hub charges the battery in sequence (one by one). Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. We appreciate your valued support.
4-3 21:17
Use props
Gizmo6
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-3 21:17
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI Mavic 3 supports the Auto-Discharging Function, this feature is applicable even if the batteries are not inserted into the charging hub. Please note that the battery automatically discharges to 96% of the battery level when it is idle for three days, and automatically discharges to 60% when it is idle for nine days. Lastly,  it is normal that the battery charging hub charges the battery in sequence (one by one). Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. We appreciate your valued support.

So what happens after the battery discharges to 60% ?

That is a rhetorical question... I'm not asking for more quotes from the DJI manual.

The fact that the DJI M3 battery hub does not support a storage mode is the reason I went looking for a 3rd party solution in the first place.  The fact that the solution I found will simultaneously charge three (3) M3 batteries at the same time is just another product differentiator over the DJI charging hub product.

Fly Safe.
4-4 04:54
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Gizmo6 Posted at 4-4 04:54
So what happens after the battery discharges to 60% ?

That is a rhetorical question... I'm not asking for more quotes from the DJI manual.

Thank you for your response, Gizmo and we understand the reason why you choose to use the 3rd party charging hub. Please note that if the battery level is below 60%, it is recommended to charge it until it is 60% before storage. We also suggest charging and discharging the battery once every three months to improve battery performance. We appreciate your valued support.
4-4 22:35
Use props
Gizmo6
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-4 22:35
Thank you for your response, Gizmo and we understand the reason why you choose to use the 3rd party charging hub. Please note that if the battery level is below 60%, it is recommended to charge it until it is 60% before storage. We also suggest charging and discharging the battery once every three months to improve battery performance. We appreciate your valued support.

Thanks for making my point regarding the absence of storage mode on the M3 Battery hub.
4-5 09:31
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Gizmo6 Posted at 4-5 09:31
Thanks for making my point regarding the absence of storage mode on the M3 Battery hub.

Thank you for your response, Gizmo. We understand your perspective, and we appreciate your notice regarding the concern. On my end, I'll voice this feedback and concern to our designated team. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out.
4-5 22:39
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules