Air 2 and C1 class in EU - my conclusion
367 7 4-4 04:07
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
YRauste
lvl.2
Flight distance : 224803 ft
Finland

DJI decided to make Mavic Air 2 a compliant drone in US, Japan, China ... but not in EU.  This probably means that DJI considers European Union a marginal market for their products.  Somebody may argue that Air 2 is still compliant in Europe in A3 airspace but that argument counts very little to most pilots who live in populated areas.  For most pilots, an Air 2 is very close to a paper weight.
In retrospective, DJI could have implemented RID in the beginning of Air 2 active production or selling period.  DJI even demonstrated their RID technology in some international drone working group meeting in Canada around that time.  DJI could (and in my opinion should) have declared Air 2 as a C1 drone at that time (not waiting until the end of the transition period of the EU drone regulations).  The fact that DJI hesitated to make this strategic decision (when it was time for it) makes me think that DJI is a company led by lawyers - lawyers coming from the country where objects may be closer than they appear

4-4 04:07
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you considered they couldnt get the drone to be compliant with EU C rules.
4-4 05:18
Use props
DosPalotes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 35157 ft
  • >>>
Germany

So it's starting to get really annoying. I also have an Air2S and am urgently waiting for it to be C1 certified, otherwise I will have to buy a Mavic 3 classic because I need to be able to fly the drone close to people to film events etc... Mavic 3 Classic instead Air 3 because I can fly it with my RC1 controller and don't have to buy a new controller. But it's annoying to read the mental outpourings of some colleagues here and the threats to never buy DJI products again. Others threaten to get a lawyer...omg...how pathetic is that?
4-4 21:52
Use props
YRauste
lvl.2
Finland

DosPalotes Posted at 4-4 21:52
So it's starting to get really annoying. I also have an Air2S and am urgently waiting for it to be C1 certified, otherwise I will have to buy a Mavic 3 classic because I need to be able to fly the drone close to people to film events etc... Mavic 3 Classic instead Air 3 because I can fly it with my RC1 controller and don't have to buy a new controller. But it's annoying to read the mental outpourings of some colleagues here and the threats to never buy DJI products again. Others threaten to get a lawyer...omg...how pathetic is that?

Not much feedback in this thread.  DAFlys obviously disagrees with me about Air 2 compliance with the EU drone regulations.  This is nothing new as we have discussed in numerous earlier  threads.

No one else have contributed anything that contradicts my original post.

So, my interpretation is that my conclusion about Air 2 and EU (see above) has obtained a tacit approval
4-14 05:18
Use props
DosPalotes
lvl.3
  • >>>
Germany

YRauste Posted at 4-14 05:18
Not much feedback in this thread.  DAFlys obviously disagrees with me about Air 2 compliance with the EU drone regulations.  This is nothing new as we have discussed in numerous earlier  threads.

No one else have contributed anything that contradicts my original post.
The Air2 is afaik EU compliant but needs to be flown A3 which means 150m away from living areas etc. DJI posted several times that it won't receive a re-certitication like the Air2S did .
The company policies aren't really customer friendly..not at all.
For example the Avata has been released August 22 and is below 500gram. There was an agreement to fly them in A1 until end of 23, in the meantime DJI could have clear a re-certitication for it since it is a pretty new drone. But no, you have to fly A3 nowb and the Avata2 is not compatible with goggles 2, controller 2 nor motion controller 2. This is treating fellow customers like sh**.
4-14 07:53
Use props
YRauste
lvl.2
Finland

DosPalotes Posted at 4-14 07:53
The Air2 is afaik EU compliant but needs to be flown A3 which means 150m away from living areas etc. DJI posted several times that it won't receive a re-certitication like the Air2S did .
The company policies aren't really customer friendly..not at all.
For example the Avata has been released August 22 and is below 500gram. There was an agreement to fly them in A1 until end of 23, in the meantime DJI could have clear a re-certitication for it since it is a pretty new drone. But no, you have to fly A3 nowb and the Avata2 is not compatible with goggles 2, controller 2 nor motion controller 2. This is treating fellow customers like sh**.

A3 is not a viable solution for many pilots who tend to live in populated areas.

The FPV drones like Avata are a completely different story.  They were not designed to be flown in EU in open category.  The maximum allowed ground speed in open category is 19 m/s.  Maybe an FPV drone with a maximum speed of 19 m/s is not what FPV pilots want.  That leaves the specific category with all its licensing and permit bureaucracy (in EU).  For a camera drone like Air 2, the maximum ground speed of 19 m/s should not be a problem.
4-14 08:22
Use props
DosPalotes
lvl.3
  • >>>
Germany

YRauste Posted at 4-14 08:22
A3 is not a viable solution for many pilots who tend to live in populated areas.

The FPV drones like Avata are a completely different story.  They were not designed to be flown in EU in open category.  The maximum allowed ground speed in open category is 19 m/s.  Maybe an FPV drone with a maximum speed of 19 m/s is not what FPV pilots want.  That leaves the specific category with all its licensing and permit bureaucracy (in EU).  For a camera drone like Air 2, the maximum ground speed of 19 m/s should not be a problem.

Maybe not but for some reason the Avata2 is c1 and it would bother me if my FPV would fly only 19m/s which is 68.4km/h but for the avata it would be fine. On the other side if DJI starts re-certitication of older drones like Air2 which was released in 2020 why not the Mavic2 aswell?
4-14 12:40
Use props
YRauste
lvl.2
Finland

The maximum ground speed of Avata 2 is limited to 19 m/s in EU.  That is what the specifications of Avata 2 say.

And the "agreement" to fly Avata in A1 until the end of 2023 might be simply the transition period for legacy drones in the EU drone regulations.
4-15 02:02
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules