10bit recording but not recorded in HDR?
641 23 4-4 14:54
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheStriff
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24839 ft
Australia

I'm fairly new to the Osmo, jsut bout tw oweeks ago the Action 4.

Reading this faq DJI Osmo Action 4 - FAQ - DJI
it says "Videos recorded by Osmo Action 4 have a high dynamic range making an HDR mode unnecessary."

So is that sayng, there's no HDR mode.

Curious as I have tried HEVC with normal abd D-Log.
Media info shows the video in both circomstances is 10bit, but using BT.709 (Rec709)

So makes no point in trying to save using Rec 2020 for example?
I've seen a few Youtube videos \ posts on the Osmo Action about using the DJI Rec 709 lut, but this is  alimited colour space, and people wanting DJI to produce a Rec2020 lut. But what would the point be, when the colour space procduced is only 709?

Cheers
4-4 14:54
Use props
Reiner.
lvl.4
Germany

For not feeling alone with your frustration: see here.
4-4 18:50
Use props
TheStriff
lvl.1
Australia

Reiner. Posted at 4-4 18:50
For not feeling alone with your frustration: see here.

I read that.
But more confused.
They are saying or asking for DJI to provide a Lut for 2100 HLG./ DCTL's

But the camera is only producing Rec 709 anyway, not sure how putting something in a limited colour space, into an expended colour space will help...
To add, not familar with what DCTL's are...
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

Thanks
4-4 19:18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The videos captured in the normal video mode by Osmo Action 4 are high dynamic range videos and there is No separate HDR mode. DJI Osmo Action 4 uses DCG HDR, an HDR technology on the camera sensor. The footage shot in normal video mode has a high dynamic range effect without losing details in the highlights, the details in the dark will also be recorded well. We appreciate your understanding.

4-4 20:29
Use props
TheStriff
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-4 20:29
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The videos captured in the normal video mode by Osmo Action 4 are high dynamic range videos and there is No separate HDR mode. DJI Osmo Action 4 uses DCG HDR, an HDR technology on the camera sensor. The footage shot in normal video mode has a high dynamic range effect without losing details in the highlights, the details in the dark will also be recorded well. We appreciate your understanding.

Can you explain how it is HDR.
When the outputted vide is Rec709 which is limited colour gamut.

From my understanding, rec 2020 is broader colour space.
and Rec2100 is HDR.

How can it be HDR when the colour space is Rec709?
4-4 20:53
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

TheStriff Posted at 4-4 20:53

It have higher dynamic range and not HDR. What HDR does is actually just push down highlights and push up shadows making it closer to what our eyes can see.
Rec 709 is what most cameras record today, and you need to pay atleast 10 times more to get higher dynamic range (true HDR) and Rec 2020 in any cameras today.

4-5 00:38
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

On Sony cameras, there is something called a ‘knee’ and ‘slope’ in the picture profiles. That alters the amount of compression in the highlights so they are brought down. Too much and highlights look bad though, and the overall picture looks kind of dull. You can set where you want the knee to kick in as a percentage and then the amount which changes the slope from that percentage in an attempt to stop highlights blowing. It’s normally preset by Sony to ‘auto’. In other words, white is no longer 100%.

It sort of works although very often, the contrast also needs to be lowered (affecting lows as well as highs) so that you get a less contrasty picture in order to avoid blown out skies for instance.

Perhaps DJI do a similar ‘auto’ kind of thing in order to emulate hdr but actually, they may call it ‘hdr mode’ which suggests an emulation of proper hdr which needs a totally different colour space. It certainly doesn’t show as hdr on my TV when I watch footage.

More like a contrast reducer in order to allow tweaking I guess, in post.
4-5 02:15
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

TheStriff Posted at 4-4 20:53

Thank you for your feedback. The Osmo Action 4 does not use common standards such as HLG and HDR10, so some mobile devices and computer software do not recognize footage shot by the product as HDR footage. The product adopts HDR technology for camera sensors which supports shooting with a high dynamic range and 10-bit color depth, and can effectively restore highlight and shadow details. Hope this helps.
4-5 02:39
Use props
TheStriff
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-5 02:39
Thank you for your feedback. The Osmo Action 4 does not use common standards such as HLG and HDR10, so some mobile devices and computer software do not recognize footage shot by the product as HDR footage. The product adopts HDR technology for camera sensors which supports shooting with a high dynamic range and 10-bit color depth, and can effectively restore highlight and shadow details. Hope this helps.

Thanks.
So using your lut converter to rec709 will you lose any colour / detail?
4-5 21:12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

TheStriff Posted at 4-5 21:12
Thanks.
So using your lut converter to rec709 will you lose any colour / detail?

Thank you for the prompt reply and additional inquiry. Please be advised that once the D-LOG (10-bit) is converted to REC.709, the color depth will become 8-bit.
4-6 00:54
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

You do not have HDR....is a pure commercial gimmick from producers, saying that they use a double exposure to gain more data...is not.
In fact, even that BT709 is cut, as is not Full but Limited RGB.
The 10bit is only for color, is not HLG or LOG true, but also a mambo-jumbo, as DR is not bigger but contrast is lowered, compressing the shadows and highlights (upper shadows, lower highs).
So...OA4 is not HDR, is not LOG, is not HLG. Is just BT709 with a possibility to get 10bit color profile and that is it.

Still, the good part (always is one, not only negative parts) is that this "LOG" (more like Neutral) profile will allow you to post edit better for scenes that have big contrast, like night footage with a lot of lights.

At this point you do not have a true HDR or LOG action camera on the market, GoPro is worst in dark and Insta ACE being 8bit.

Cheers.
4-10 00:22
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Really, it’s quite misleading. It’s not real HDR and should be described as and HDR mode or something. On all action cams because it’s just another selling ploy which is basically using a slightly incorrect term.
4-10 10:25
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

What was it the latter camera having HDR not the new one, but yet he Pocket 3 got it so yeah too  technical for me sorry
4-10 10:30
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 4-10 10:25
Really, it’s quite misleading. It’s not real HDR and should be described as and HDR mode or something. On all action cams because it’s just another selling ploy which is basically using a slightly incorrect term.

Didn't One R or RS have more like true HDR? I remember some saying you should not use it witch fast moving objects since it will make scene look terrible.
4-10 12:31
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I’m not sure. I think it might be very expensive to put true HDR into action cams where so many use a high frame rate and shutter speed. It would need a very fast camera.

I guess that’s why the Ace Pro just stayed with a low contrast profile in 8 bit. Cheaper and basically the same thing …….
The 10 bit demos on YouTube make me smile because they are demoing 10 bit on an 8 bit system so no one can see it really! On my TV, I can see up to 12 bit so I use 10 bit f I can but not for YouTube.
4-12 03:24
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 4-12 03:24
I’m not sure. I think it might be very expensive to put true HDR into action cams where so many use a high frame rate and shutter speed. It would need a very fast camera.

I guess that’s why the Ace Pro just stayed with a low contrast profile in 8 bit. Cheaper and basically the same thing …….

You are right.
4-12 03:26
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I’m just finishing a weeks videoing in Torquay, which is a coastal town in the SW UK. For the whole thing I’ve used an Ace Pro and a diopter lens for close ups to give background blur. Videoing at 4k 60P and to be honest, I haven't really felt the need to use either HDR or low contrast. Only switched to 30fps for Pure Video mode when indoors or out at night. Tonight I'm even videoing an Abba cover band in a theatre with it because it's so easy!

A week shooting so you can imagine how many clips I have to edit when I get home. (Probably way over 1,000) so at least most clips are in rec709 with hopefully correct contrast levels. The Ace Pro seems to cope pretty well in all honesty without 10 bit and even low contrast. Saves a lot of faffing around.
4-12 03:34
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 4-12 03:34
I’m just finishing a weeks videoing in Torquay, which is a coastal town in the SW UK. For the whole thing I’ve used an Ace Pro and a diopter lens for close ups to give background blur. Videoing at 4k 60P and to be honest, I haven't really felt the need to use either HDR or low contrast. Only switched to 30fps for Pure Video mode when indoors or out at night. Tonight I'm even videoing an Abba cover band in a theatre with it because it's so easy!

A week shooting so you can imagine how many clips I have to edit when I get home. (Probably way over 1,000) so at least most clips are in rec709 with hopefully correct contrast levels. The Ace Pro seems to cope pretty well in all honesty without 10 bit and even low contrast. Saves a lot of faffing around.

Good to hear you have been out shooting some videos, and over 1000 clips is a lot.

Next week they will release the X4 360 camera, so I'm curious about getting it if not too expensive and if I find the need for a 360 camera.
4-12 09:34
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I’m wondering about the mentions on YouTube about an Action 5!
4-13 09:58
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

I think there is only rumors out now, and haven't heard about any leaks yet about OA5
4-13 13:46
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 4-12 09:34
Good to hear you have been out shooting some videos, and over 1000 clips is a lot.

Next week they will release the X4 360 camera, so I'm curious about getting it if not too expensive and if I find the need for a 360 camera.

Well the X4 dropped today but most of the YT videos are super way overhyped and sponsored or given free to review.  Whatever.  Most can be ignored.

Bottom line is the 4 is bigger than the 3 with a bigger battery.  Shooting 8K vs 5.7K.  8K 360 is not much higher resolution than 5.7 so do not expect 4K flat output resolution.  So if you need "real 4K flat" - the X4 will not give you this.

Apparently they will not drop the 3 - but sell both side by side.  If you like 360 footage then get the X3 or X4.  Otherwise keep on shooting on what you have.  The X4 is nothing special vs the 3 - just a bit higher resolution etc.
4-16 09:41
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

10-Bit Posted at 4-16 09:41
Well the X4 dropped today but most of the YT videos are super way overhyped and sponsored or given free to review.  Whatever.  Most can be ignored.

Bottom line is the 4 is bigger than the 3 with a bigger battery.  Shooting 8K vs 5.7K.  8K 360 is not much higher resolution than 5.7 so do not expect 4K flat output resolution.  So if you need "real 4K flat" - the X4 will not give you this.

For me it seems like it have way better quality when shooting in single lens mode.
Have watched some of those paid reviewers, and for the price it is not for me.
4-16 09:52
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Yeah the price is creeping up there.  Especially once you add the cost of all the accessories you will need.  Once you put the 360 through very hard paces - you learn all specific the pros and cons.  Watching some of the reviews make me laugh how biased and over-hyped they make the product look.  It is a specific use camera with very limited flat resolution.  Notice the super huge sun flare.  Probably caused from the fancy advertised new lens protector.  Haha!

4-17 01:14
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Yeah I noticed all the sunflares on different videos, but I'm actually impressed how good it is from X3 and X2, but still a bit under the quality of the 1 inch version.
4-17 13:17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules