L2 or P1 in dual gimbal setup
244 6 4-10 04:32
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dpiercey
lvl.2

Canada

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to use an L2 or P1 in position 1 on a dual gimbal on an M300 with a RedEdge-MX in the second position? The RedEdge is only getting power from the drone.

If so, does an offset have to be applied when processing the data from the L2/P1?

I realize that the capture settings for the RedEdge will have to be adjusted to fit the flight parameters of the L2/P1.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Doug
4-10 04:32
Use props
AR_AirPrecision
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

I used to do that but the overlap should be calculated based on the lowest resolution...and not sure it would work great with lidar. In the end, we switched back to single payload and fly twice with optimal settings.
4-11 03:30
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

1.JPG
Zenmuse_L2_User_Manual_v1.0_EN.pdf (djicdn.com) page Nr 6

I also tested this kind of configuration. It works. It's true that there is a small error in the point cloud. For me the worst is as AR mentioned, a RedEdge MX flight plan is not at all the same thing in terms of overlap and speed as an L1, L2 or P1.
The risk is to under or over sample one of the two datasets.
In addition there is a second constraint: the significant reduction in flight time because of weight and extra power supply.

For these reasons, from now on I do like AR, one payload per flight.

4-11 08:57
Use props
SoberTiger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1829416 ft

Canada

Hi Doug,

You've asked some great questions about configuring dual payloads on the DJI Matrice 300 RTK. Here are a few critical points to consider:

• Gimbal Activation: On the M300 RTK, only the payload in position 1 on one of the three gimbals receives the activation (shutter) command directly from the remote.
  • Gimbal Offset: When using a dual gimbal setup, it’s important to calculate and account for the physical offset between the gimbals. This adjustment is necessary whether you’re conducting LiDAR (L2) or photogrammetry/Multiscpectral (P1 and RedEdge) to ensure data accuracy during processing.
  • Interference from Landing Gear: The landing gear of the M300 RTK may obstruct some shots when using the Micasense sensor, as well as the P1 and L2 sensors. Positioning and flight planning should consider this potential obstruction.
  • Sensor Calibration: The L2 sensor requires calibration every 200 seconds, which could lead to repetitive data collection from the RedEdge sensor. This factor needs consideration in your data collection strategy to avoid redundancy.

While the fast hotswap feature of the gimbal connector on the M300 RTK facilitates easy switching between cameras, making it less cumbersome to manage data post-collection, I recommend using such a combination primarily for visualization and partial data collection where precise accuracy is not critical.

I hope this helps clarify your setup for optimal results!

Cheers,
Chris
4-12 12:11
Use props
dpiercey
lvl.2

Canada

SoberTiger Posted at 4-12 12:11
Hi Doug,

You've asked some great questions about configuring dual payloads on the DJI Matrice 300 RTK. Here are a few critical points to consider:

Thanks Chris,

Great points!

At this stage I think it's evident that flying missions with either P1 or L2 with the RedEdge in dual gimbal setup will be problematic in terms of optimal flight parameters for each payload - particularly with the L2. Since we do use the RedEdge in a dual configuration with the XT2 I would like to keep the dual gimbal on if possible to avoid switching out with single gimbal - small thing I know.  

For offset, we have been applying this during RedEdge (dual camera) processing as we have the x, y, z offset values for this setup in position 2 when flying dual with an XT2. I do not have these values for the P1 or L2.

We have had no interference from landing gear with the XT2 or RedEdge. We are testing the P1 and L2 for this now.

For sensor calibration, yes this would result in overkill for RedEdge collection. Big implications for processing and storage.

All this being said, looks like we are forced to 3 flights per mission in order to capture data from the 3 sensors (RedEdge, P1, L2) regardless of gimbal.

Cheers,
Doug
4-15 03:57
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. We will consult with our engineers and update here.
4-22 00:29
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

dpiercey Posted at 4-15 03:57
Thanks Chris,

Great points!

Update:
Currently, L1 and P1 only support the downward single gimbal.
If you really need to use the Dual-gimbal payload, there are two questions to be concerned:
1. There are deviations in the gimbal location. Thus the data will not be precise.
2. If the Gimbal Connector 2 is mounted, please pay attention to whether the two payloads will interfere with each other.

4-24 23:42
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules