RC Plus ScreenCast
168 4 4-14 17:27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NorthWindAerial
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14016667 ft
United States

Is there a reason that the controller will cast to some source and not others? I'm trying to set up my controller to cast to a Google Chromecast for in the field wide screen usage. This is so I can have my team watching my feed on a wider view and not hovering over my shoulder the entire time.

The controller will acknowledge and cast to my Samsung Smart TV just fine, but won't recognize any other devices. I've double checked the devices work just fine by casting from my phone, but still no dice on the controller end.

And yes I've made sure the devices and controller work on the same network. Tethering the controller via hdmi cord doesn’t work for us out in the field eirher, so if the bative screen cast could work it would be great.
4-14 17:27
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13381447 ft
  • >>>
United States

Because last year Google got rid of the Guest mode option on Chromecast that had it. You can easily connect to things like Samsung TVs, Roku TVs, Roku boxes etc because they are actively broadcasting a stand alone WiFi Direct network to connect to. This is similar to what the guest mode would enable. Now you have to be on the same network as your Chromecast. The fact that DJI RCs don't have Google Play Services also adds to the issue. Most Google apps and features now require this to use majority of Google services. This is the reason your phone works fine but the RC doesn't. Roku boxes are cheap, work fine and can be added to any TV just like a Chromecast. If you have Internet out in the field you can also share the camera live feed by using FlightHub 2. I've used this recently to share my M3E camera's feed to someone who wasn't even there with me.
4-14 19:37
Use props
NorthWindAerial
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14016667 ft
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 4-14 19:37
Because last year Google got rid of the Guest mode option on Chromecast that had it. You can easily connect to things like Samsung TVs, Roku TVs, Roku boxes etc because they are actively broadcasting a stand alone WiFi Direct network to connect to. This is similar to what the guest mode would enable. Now you have to be on the same network as your Chromecast. The fact that DJI RCs don't have Google Play Services also adds to the issue. Most Google apps and features now require this to use majority of Google services. This is the reason your phone works fine but the RC doesn't. Roku boxes are cheap, work fine and can be added to any TV just like a Chromecast. If you have Internet out in the field you can also share the camera live feed by using FlightHub 2. I've used this recently to share my M3E camera's feed to someone who wasn't even there with me.

Thank you so much for breaking that down so succintly. We don't aways have the best service out in the bush so I'll probably look into a Roku box or something if the Anycast dongle I've got coming doesn't work.

Flighthub is great but the live stream seems to always be super laggy and choppy. We do use it as backup for squinters/spotters and the live map works great for marking spots to transfer over to our SAR mapping app, and the livestream is a god send when when I'm far from the command post. But the screen casting is one of the best tools we've had on calls.

Heres hoping we get Google on board someday. That would alleviate so many different problems.
4-14 20:05
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13381447 ft
  • >>>
United States

NorthWindAerial Posted at 4-14 20:05
Thank you so much for breaking that down so succintly. We don't aways have the best service out in the bush so I'll probably look into a Roku box or something if the Anycast dongle I've got coming doesn't work.

Flighthub is great but the live stream seems to always be super laggy and choppy. We do use it as backup for squinters/spotters and the live map works great for marking spots to transfer over to our SAR mapping app, and the livestream is a god send when when I'm far from the command post. But the screen casting is one of the best tools we've had on calls.

Yea the FlightHub 2 stream can be choppy sometimes because both the RC and the device viewing it need to have a strong Internet connection. Even if they were on the same LAN. It would be great if DJI could have a stand alone version of FH2 that could run locally without needing Internet at all. That way, you could have a laptop running as the server that the RC would stream all data/camera to with little to no latency. I have several Anycast dongles but I've never tried it with my RC.
4-14 20:35
Use props
Hoarfrost
lvl.4
Flight distance : 705974 ft
Canada

4-16 21:29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules