349 30 4-16 10:57
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
snorkel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 452592 ft
  • >>>
United States

Would still like to see a medium bit rate option so the file sizes are smaller.
all the other action cams have it, even the Ace Pro.

4-16 10:57
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

But why would you like to record videoes in a lower bitrate and get way worse quality? I know to save space, but memory cards and HD's are cheap.
4-16 11:36
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Yes  Standard and high.  I like how DJI is different from others
4-16 11:51
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 380978 ft
United Kingdom

I usually want higher bit rates not lower why would you want mushy looking footage, what bitrate do you deem medium?
4-16 12:05
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Then use the Ace Pro. Problem solved.
4-16 12:55
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 4-16 11:36
But why would you like to record videoes in a lower bitrate and get way worse quality? I know to save space, but memory cards and HD's are cheap.

Well, for one it's harder and more cpu intensive to scrub big files, Secondly the quality is kind of a wash once you upload to youtube etc.
If all you ever do is sort 5 minute clips yes it's not a big deal, but if you are out fishing and leave it recording all day on a hat mount it's a huge deal with giant files and it takes forever to copy them off the sd card.   
It should be an option like it is on all the other cam.
Not everyone has same use cases.  Just saying
4-16 13:27
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

snorkel Posted at 4-16 13:27
Well, for one it's harder and more cpu intensive to scrub big files, Secondly the quality is kind of a wash once you upload to youtube etc.
If all you ever do is sort 5 minute clips yes it's not a big deal, but if you are out fishing and leave it recording all day on a hat mount it's a huge deal with giant files and it takes forever to copy them off the sd card.   
It should be an option like it is on all the other cam.

When I make videos I easily get 20-30GB videofiles I need to transfer to my SSD before I start editing.
And it takes a few minutes to transfer them, but I'm using a fast USB 3 card-reader.

With Davinci Resolve you can set it to half or quarter size for preview while editing (proxy mode) and then it's really fast for your computer to edit big 4K files.

But why do you need to record the whole time while fishing? It is possible to make the camera prerecord so you can set it to continue recording when you hook a fish.
I have recorded some fishing videos (before OA4) and I just clicked record every time I hooked a fish.

But you could always record in 1440p since most viewers only watch videos on their phone anyway on youtube.
4-16 15:11
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I also have a usb 3 fast card reader and ultra fast ssd but I record for 6 to 8 hours on a 512gb card it takes a longggggg time to transfer all the 4k files.

I love the action 4 but the file sizes are nuts in 4k 40fps and even bigger in 60fps.
4-16 15:14
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

You miss the best parts or forget to start recording during the action, believe me when I say recording continously is the best way to miss nothing.
It's a super hassle trying to start recording after you catch a fish and you can easily lose a nice one while fumbling around trying to hit record not to mention you miss the hookset.
4-16 15:17
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I imagine you want to capture the initial ‘strike’ when the fish take so you need to leave it running. A bit like doing a parachute jump but turning the camera on after you’ve gone through the door…….

I know the feeling. I videod a fishing session once and missed the strike, so I ended up doing a setup. I attached the float at the bottom so pulling it made it go under. I took a clip of me striking nothing. And then put it together later!

I guess you sweep through footage to find the relevant bit.
4-17 03:00
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

So this will not work, capture the shot, when you  have caught the strike and moment, and finished filming, stop the cam, take out and, when at home or on the boat place to the computer, Delete off all but the last two files. then rename  the two files.   place back in continue the film to the next strike, repeat the same prroceess. if no computer with you, then take the card out and put a new one in. DJI will not lower their standards, that will be the bottom line

wish the  best
4-17 03:11
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Iancraig10 Posted at 4-17 03:00
I imagine you want to capture the initial ‘strike’ when the fish take so you need to leave it running. A bit like doing a parachute jump but turning the camera on after you’ve gone through the door…….

I know the feeling. I videod a fishing session once and missed the strike, so I ended up doing a setup. I attached the float at the bottom so pulling it made it go under. I took a clip of me striking nothing. And then put it together later!

Yes, I scrub thru or compare time stamps to the underwater release footage from a goppro 11 on a floating 3 foot selfie stick
4-17 04:14
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 380978 ft
United Kingdom

snorkel Posted at 4-16 15:17
You miss the best parts or forget to start recording during the action, believe me when I say recording continously is the best way to miss nothing.
It's a super hassle trying to start recording after you catch a fish and you can easily lose a nice one while fumbling around trying to hit record not to mention you miss the hookset.

Why can’t you use loop recording & stop the recording after any strike/reel in, that way you should almost always capture the important elements whilst maintaining smaller file sizes.  The BT remote would be a useful addition strapped to your rod handle.
4-17 10:04
Use props
ryguyMN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17480 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, I think loop recording is what you want to use here. I also do (ice) fishing videos, but I'm usually only out for a few hours so I record everything then scrub through the footage in edit.
4-17 11:50
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That’s a great idea. I never thought of that!
4-17 11:51
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ryguyMN Posted at 4-17 11:50
Yeah, I think loop recording is what you want to use here. I also do (ice) fishing videos, but I'm usually only out for a few hours so I record everything then scrub through the footage in edit.
In theory loop recording would work but it still depends on me remembering to hit the shutter after the complete process is finished, it's super easy to forget after you just caught a huge bass :-)
The only reliable way is to record constantly and then scrub files for the action.   With loop recording you just miss too much random stuff that may happen like a eagle flying over or a beaver tail slap etc.  You forget to hit shutter you lost it.
4-17 11:59
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 4-17 03:11
So this will not work, capture the shot, when you  have caught the strike and moment, and finished filming, stop the cam, take out and, when at home or on the boat place to the computer, Delete off all but the last two files. then rename  the two files.   place back in continue the film to the next strike, repeat the same prroceess. if no computer with you, then take the card out and put a new one in. DJI will not lower their standards, that will be the bottom line

wish the  best

Fish, no that won't work when you are out for 8 hours.
It's not about them lowering standards but about giving the user a choice :-)
4-17 12:03
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Understood,   after a new camera gets released  nothing more will hapen  maybe its best to use the DJI Osmo Action camera that is with the Lower bitrate,
4-17 12:37
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

The lower the sharpness is set, the lower your bit rate is. The good thing is that the sharpness can be increased later in post.
4-17 14:06
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. We appreciate your valuable feedback. Rest assured that we will record this suggestion and make sure to reach out to our relevant team for future consideration. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. Thank you for your understanding and support.
4-17 21:09
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Andreas Dueck Posted at 4-17 14:06
The lower the sharpness is set, the lower your bit rate is. The good thing is that the sharpness can be increased later in post.

I think the worst thing about low bitrate is the blockiness that you get in small details when you move. GoPro’s always look bad with moving leaves going by you. A slower shutter can help but it does go a bit smudgy.

For shots with less movement, lower bit rates work ok, so it would probably be ok for a fishing video. (Up to a point)

Also depends what bitrate you choose for renders.
4-18 00:26
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Lower bitrate would look terrible in shadows, and with fishing there is a lot of shadows
4-18 00:39
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

I don't think it's clear what I mean. I tested with all sharpness and noise reduction settings how high the bit rate is and the result was:
high sharpness and low noise reduction = highest bit rate
low sharpness and high noise reduction = lowest bit rate.

So if you reduce the sharpness based on these findings and choose the noise reduction according to the respective ISO value, you get a low bit rate without disadvantages (no blocks).
4-18 02:11
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Andreas Dueck Posted at 4-18 02:11
I don't think it's clear what I mean. I tested with all sharpness and noise reduction settings how high the bit rate is and the result was:
high sharpness and low noise reduction = highest bit rate
low sharpness and high noise reduction = lowest bit rate.

Great that you have tested it, I have never thought about that
4-18 06:50
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

I noticed that the bitrates were always different in previous tests and I wanted to find out if I could use this to my advantage... I'll put it this way, I can now guess the chosen setting at NR and sharpness based on the raw material and the Bitrate.
4-18 17:20
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 4-18 00:39
Lower bitrate would look terrible in shadows, and with fishing there is a lot of shadows

No, not a lot of shadows and I always used medium bit rate on the gopro 11 and quality was fine.
4-18 17:56
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I used to use medium on the GoPro as well when there wasn’t a lot of movement. Mainly because I was using a slow laptop for editing and it helped to stop glitches.
4-18 22:51
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

snorkel Posted at 4-18 17:56
No, not a lot of shadows and I always used medium bit rate on the gopro 11 and quality was fine.

Do  you have any link so we can watch?
4-19 00:30
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

So Bitrate is a problem: lowering the settings to one's standards,   getting a SSD  portable drive, and saving there and when needed siff through the footage and use.  thre really is no easy way around  once DJI set things in stone and moved on to the OA5, this is where the OA1 should be used, IMHO!. i recall  back in the days, the DDV Hd168 was the best camera for  what is being asked  for the reasons of old laptops man i struggled  when 720P was out, I even used an Aiptek HD GVS  that gave stunning shot.  Just saying Maybe a gopro is better suited till DJI can offer in the future what we're asking.
4-19 02:48
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

pre record 30 sec or 1 minute camera with  extern power
and the remote (you can shut down the remote )it is time to start the camera with remote
4-19 04:12
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Its best to  film all day change out cards then to  miss the shot
4-19 05:05
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules