Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kru5e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2119508 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hi everyone,

I recently received my RS4 Pro Combo and am having some trouble configuring the Focus Pro Motor for zoom control.

When the motor is set to "F" mode, I can successfully calibrate the endpoints using both the motor button and the Ronin menu. The front dial then functions perfectly for focus control.

However, in "Z" mode (zoom), the front dial has no effect on the motor.  Calibration attempts in "Z" mode also fail, resulting in an error message after the motor pulls in both directions.
The Focus Pro manual mentions that each motor mode has different damping and response characteristics:

Screenshot 2024-04-17 125928.jpg

My previous RS2 Pro allowed zoom control smoothing adjustments, which seems to be missing from the RS4 Pro setup.

I haven't been able to locate a menu for changing motor modes directly on the Ronin itself, nor does the RS4 Pro manual provide instructions for configuring the Focus Pro Motor settings within the Ronin system.

Is there something I'm overlooking?

It's quite disappointing that a newer product like the RS4 Pro lacks a zoom smoothing feature present in the older RS2 Pro.

Additionally, the lack of clear instructions on configuring the Focus Pro Motor directly with the Ronin (including appropriate mode selection) is frustrating.
Using "F" mode for zoom control, since it's intended for focus, also feels counterintuitive.

Any insights or suggestions from the community would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

4-17 03:03
Use props
Gael
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15449035 ft
  • >>>
France

Same issue here…
4-17 11:13
Use props
Jimmyb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31621 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yep - same issue
4-17 11:51
Use props
Gael
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15449035 ft
  • >>>
France

Same issue here…
4-17 20:44
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Michael. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Let me forward this to our relevant team for confirmation. We'll keep you posted.
4-18 06:21
Use props
djiuser_jFWN93iou9HN
New
Flight distance : 97930 ft
Germany

also the same
4-18 11:59
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Michael. Thank you for patiently waiting. Please try the steps below:
1. Insert the 15 mm rod into the motor's camera quick-release base and secure it, followed by attaching the camera quick-release base to the camera.
2. Insert the motor into the rod, then secure it by tightening the knob once the motor gear engages with the lens focus ring, preventing any displacement of the motor.
3. Connect any one of the USB-C ports on the motor to the focus motor port on the gimbal.
When using the front dial to control the focus motor, set “Dial Functions” to “Focus Motor”. Calibrate the focus motor before use.
4. When only one focus motor is installed, the motor can be controlled by the front dial or joystick. Make sure “Dial Functions” is set to “Focus Motor” and the Joystick Mode Switch is toggled to Zoom.
5. When dual-focus motors are installed, the motor can be controlled by the front dial. Make sure “Dial Functions” is set to “Focus Motor” and the Joystick Mode Switch is toggled to Zoom. At this point, both focus motors can be controlled for focus and zoom.

Notes:
1. When the focus motor controlled by the joystick is connected to the lens aperture ring, the lens aperture can also be controlled. In this case, no additional settings are required for the joystick.
2. DJI RS 4 Pro supports controlling up to two focus motors.
3. Calibrate all the focus motors before use.
4. When using dual focus motors, given that some lenses have narrow spacing between the focus ring and zoom ring, and considering the specific thickness of the Focus Pro motor, simultaneous control of both the focus ring and zoom ring becomes unfeasible when both motors are mounted on the same side. To address this, it is advisable to utilize a camera cage equipped with dual rods.
You can install the rod adapter slide rail on the camera cage. Next, proceed to install two rods and then mount two motors on both sides of the lens for operation.
4-18 23:04
Use props
PCSTAR
lvl.2
  • >>>
Vietnam

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-18 23:04
Hi, Michael. Thank you for patiently waiting. Please try the steps below:
1. Insert the 15 mm rod into the motor's camera quick-release base and secure it, followed by attaching the camera quick-release base to the camera.
2. Insert the motor into the rod, then secure it by tightening the knob once the motor gear engages with the lens focus ring, preventing any displacement of the motor.

Hi DJI Gamoura, I upgraded from RS3 to RS4 Pro, but today the app DJI Ronin show the notice "The gimbal connected to RavenEye" althought only the camera on gimbal, no RavenEye because i bought the RS4 Pro Basic without Combo. Ronin App lasted version!
4-19 07:02
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

PCSTAR Posted at 4-19 07:02
Hi DJI Gamoura, I upgraded from RS3 to RS4 Pro, but today the app DJI Ronin show the notice "The gimbal connected to RavenEye" althought only the camera on gimbal, no RavenEye because i bought the RS4 Pro Basic without Combo. Ronin App lasted version!

Hi there. Let me confirm this with our relevant team. We'll keep you posted.
4-19 07:58
Use props
PCSTAR
lvl.2
  • >>>
Vietnam

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-19 07:58
Hi there. Let me confirm this with our relevant team. We'll keep you posted.

I asked some friends use RS4 pro, the notice same with me. It only show the first time open the app Ronin and connect with the gimbal, you can choose dont show this again to skip it
4-20 05:55
Use props
Mark Jackal
lvl.1

United States

New user here, I'm still not allowed to start new threads, hence have to post here as my question is somehow in the same field.

=> How do I calibrate the motor on a photo lens? (no hard stops at the ends of the range)?

The motor keeps spinning all the way.
Setting endpoints manually deletes lens calibration profile, and results in a big trouble of having to re-calibrate every time the device is powered off and back on.

Besides, there is no clear information on how to set up zoom lenses.
------
(Focus Pro full set, if it matters)
4-21 03:17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

PCSTAR Posted at 4-20 05:55
I asked some friends use RS4 pro, the notice same with me. It only show the first time open the app Ronin and connect with the gimbal, you can choose dont show this again to skip it

Thank you for patiently waiting, Michael. Please see an update from our relevant team below:

1. DJI Focus Pro motors can only have a control response when the FIZ mode is cut to F or Z. The response control logic can be found in the description below.
Supplementary Definition: There is a difference in the description of the 19th interface on DJI RS 4 and DJI RS 4 Pro, DJI RS 4 is a mapping interface (USB-C), DJI RS 4 Pro is a mapping/LiDAR rangefinder interface (USB-C), and the following descriptions are collectively referred to as the mapping interface.
1) When used with a single focus motor, the focus motor can be controlled with the front dial (the dial function needs to be selected as "Focus Motor") or rocker (needs to be switched to "Zoom Function"):
a) When the DJI Focus Pro motor is connected to the focus motor interface of the gimbal, the focus motor can be controlled by the front dial (FIZ needs to be switched to F mode), or by the joystick (FIZ needs to be switched to Z mode);
b) When the DJI Focus Pro motor is connected to the gimbal's mapping interface, it only supports controlling the follow-focus motor through the front dial (and be sure to cut to F mode), and the mapping interface does not respond to zoom control.

2) When using dual follow focus motors, you can use the front dial (the dial function must be selected as "follow focus motor") to control the follow focus motor to follow the focus; and then switch the joystick mode to zoom function, and then control the follow focus motor to control the zoom through the joystick:
a) Both DJI Focus Pro motors cut the FIZ mode to F, and the touch screen interface of the gimbal will prompt "Focus motors at the same mode, F, I, or Switch one focus motor to another mode! At this time, only the front dial can control the focus motor connected to interface 19, the joystick and the other motor control do not respond;
b) Both DJI Focus Pro motors cut the FIZ mode to Z. At this time, only the joystick can control the focus motor connected to interface 18, the front dial and the other motor control do not respond;
c) The motor connected to the focus motor interface (defined as motor No. 1) cuts the FIZ mode to Z, and the motor connected to the image transfer interface (defined as motor No. 2) cuts the FIZ mode to F. At this time, the front dial controls motor No. 2, and the joystick controls motor No. 1, so that the two focus motors can be controlled to follow focus and zoom;
d) The motor connected to the follow-focus motor interface (defined as motor No. 1) cuts the FIZ mode to F, and the motor connected to the picture transmission interface (defined as motor No. 2) cuts the FIZ mode to Z. At this time, the front dial controls motor No. 1, and motor No. 2 does not respond to the control of the joystick.
e) Two DJI Focus Pro motors are connected in series to the gimbal follow focus motor interface, cut the FIZ mode of the follow focus motors to F, then the two motors respond to the front dial control at the same time; cut the FIZ mode of the follow focus motors to Z, then the two motors respond to the rocker zoom control at the same time; cut the FIZ modes of the two follow focus motors to F and Z, respectively, then the two motors respond to the front dial and rocker control, respectively;
f) Two DJI Focus Pro motors are connected in series to the PTZ interface, they can only be controlled by switching the FIZ mode of the follow-focus motor to F, and they only respond to the control of the follow-focus wheel, not to the rocker zoom control.

3) When using the follow focus motor, it is recommended to calibrate the follow focus motor before using it. Uncalibrated travel follow-focus motor can also be controlled by the dial and rocker, and once the follow-focus motor FIZ mode is switched, it needs to be recalibrated.

2. Concerning new issues, the following additional information needs to be gathered:
1) Please videotape the operation back;
2) Please send back screenshots or photos of the firmware version information page;
3) Please take a picture of the third-person view using the stabilizer with the Ronin APP.
4-21 19:28
Use props
Frank White 9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 879843 ft
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-21 19:28
Thank you for patiently waiting, Michael. Please see an update from our relevant team below:

1. DJI Focus Pro motors can only have a control response when the FIZ mode is cut to F or Z. The response control logic can be found in the description below.

Will the ronin app work on the DJI RC Pro with the new RS 4 pro?
4-22 07:14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Frank White 9 Posted at 4-22 07:14
Will the ronin app work on the DJI RC Pro with the new RS 4 pro?

Hi, Frank. Thank you for reaching out. Just to confirm, are you referring to DJI Focus Pro? DJI RC Pro is used with DJI Drones. We'll wait for your confirmation.
4-23 00:14
Use props
kru5e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2119508 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hey Gamora,

Thank you for following up with me on the zoom function for the RS 4 Pro.

While your suggestions allow for some zoom control with the motor, there are a few areas that must be improved to create a seamless workflow. Currently, it feels very user-unfriendly and badly designed.

• MAJOR FLAW: Dial and Rocker Functionality: When using Z mode with the joystick for zoom control, the front dial becomes unusable, and pan/tilt control requires switching the rocker position. This makes it difficult to simultaneously zoom and perform other gimbal movements.

• Calibration:  Calibrating the zoom through the Ronin menu currently still results in a "Calibration failed" message.  While the double-tap on the motor button works in Z mode (and offers smoother calibration than F mode), it's a less convenient method.

• Smoothing Option:  The zoom smoothing function available on the RS 2 seems to be missing from the RS 4 Pro. This feature helped achieve visually appealing zoom control, and its inclusion would be greatly appreciated.

While F mode offers calibration through the menu and the ability to use the back dial, it seems designed for focus control. It can be extremely aggressive during calibration, yanking the zoom ring and potentially causing damage in the long run.

I'm happy to provide footage to illustrate these points when I return from production.

Ideally, an update would allow back-dial zoom control in Z mode (in single motor configuration, allowing using the joystick for pan & tilt or clear zoom with the camera) with a more user-friendly calibration process.

Thanks
Michael

4-23 15:30
Use props
Mark Jackal
lvl.1

United States

@Gamora

Sorry for littering the thread, but as I am still in the "new user" status, and can't start a separate thread, I have to be persistent here.

> What can I do to calibrate a photo lens with no hard end points?
> Nothing worked so far to any usable extent.
4-23 17:49
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

kru5e Posted at 4-23 15:30
Hey Gamora,
Thank you for following up with me on the zoom function for the RS 4 Pro.
While your suggestions allow for some zoom control with the motor, there are a few areas that must be improved to create a seamless workflow. Currently, it feels very user-unfriendly and badly designed.

Hi, Michael. Thank you for the reply. Please check the details below:
1. Connect the DJI Focus Pro motor to the focus motor interface of DJI RS 4 Pro, align the gear of the focus motor with the zoom ring of the lens, and then switch the gimbal rocker mode to control the direction of the gimbal, which will realize that the front dial drives the focus motor (the FIZ mode needs to be in the F-stop position) to control the zoom of the lens and at the same time, the gimbal rocker buttons will control the direction of the gimbal.
2. Can be added to the DJI R follow focus wheel, a follow focus motor gear to the lens zoom ring, the other follow focus motor to the lens follow focus ring (both follow focus motor modes need to be kept in the F position), so that the follow focus wheel and the front dial to control the lens zoom and follow focus, will not take up the joystick buttons, the rocker can then be used to control the direction of the gimbal.
3. This cannot be satisfied at present, thank you for your suggestions and support, we have recorded your needs and feedback to the relevant team to evaluate the follow-up if there is a relevant function update, will be released through the official website to inform the record. Thank you for your continued support.
4-28 20:19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules