Fly Past issues with Mini 4 Pro
391 17 4-21 02:39
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JohnMM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 76007 ft
Australia

I have been trying to do a FLYPAST of a person or Object with the Mini 4 Pro - meaning:
If I select a person or an object and use Spotlight or POI, then if I try to fly over that object (not just circling), it stops and won't go further - despite being high.  
UNLIKE the Mavic 2 Pro and Inspire 2 - I cannot do a fly past above the person and keep the camera focussed on that person.

Am I doing something wrong?  

It appears there is something about the Mini 4 that prevents going directly over a person during Spotlight or POI.

TIA.

4-21 02:39
Use props
_SoP_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 951020 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I recognized this as well but was not sure if maybe I had set some different settings in the drone. With the Mini 3 Pro it was possible to create nice effects that way. With the Mini 4 Pro, the behaviour is somehow different.
4-21 04:05
Use props
JohnMM
lvl.2
Australia

_SoP_ Posted at 4-21 04:05
I recognized this as well but was not sure if maybe I had set some different settings in the drone. With the Mini 3 Pro it was possible to create nice effects that way. With the Mini 4 Pro, the behaviour is somehow different.

Thank you for the reply.
So it really is a downgrade from the Mini 3, as I suspected.

I am assuming it may be over concerns that a flypast could potentially hit a subject?
But then there are sensors in action anyway.
4-21 14:32
Use props
vesh
lvl.3

Malaysia

I have encounter the same issue before, upon checking in user manual for Spotlight and POI for static subject can still be used, but obstable sensing is not available.
4-22 02:25
Use props
JohnMM
lvl.2
Australia

vesh Posted at 4-22 02:25
I have encounter the same issue before, upon checking in user manual for Spotlight and POI for static subject can still be used, but obstable sensing is not available.

I was wondering about that:
Do you mean we have to physically switch off the sensors in the settings to allow the flypast option?
I did try sport mode  but that did not help.
So which setting would you change for this?
4-22 02:49
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We will coordinate this with our relevant team for further clarification. I will keep you posted. I appreciate your patience.
4-22 04:18
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487034 ft
United States

I know nothing. In settings did you set it for flyby instead of stop for obstacle avoidance?
4-22 07:26
Use props
vesh
lvl.3

Malaysia

JohnMM Posted at 4-22 02:49

I was wondering about that:

In Sport mode, the aircraft relies on GNSS and the downward vision system for positioning. It is optimized for agility and speed, but obstacle avoidance is disabled. This means that the aircraft cannot automatically detect obstacles in its path. As a user, you need to stay vigilant and manually control the aircraft to avoid obstacles.

On the other hand, in intelligent flight modes like FocusTrack, MasterShots, QuickShots, and Hyperlapse, the aircraft is equipped to sense and bypass obstacles in all directions. This allows for quick and automated obstacle avoidance during these specific flight modes.
4-22 23:15
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't this behaviour due to the drone adding roll/bank when the drone is moving and it is commanded to yaw/turn, thus forcing the turn to fly away from the desired flight path. It's a useful feature in some circumstances but obviously not this one.
It, combined/banked/combination turns, should be a switchable feature, as, from memory, it is on the FPV, not a mandatory feature.
4-23 06:34
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Thank you for patiently waiting. Upon further review, this is a normal obstacle avoidance function. If the aircraft flies close to the people, the aircraft will hover for flight safety. If there is any misunderstanding, please provide us with the operation video showing the issue so we can check it further. Thank you for understanding.
4-24 20:57
Use props
JohnMM
lvl.2
Australia

But why is it that the Mini 3 pro can do a fly past because that is such an important feature.
Can we as users switch something off so that we can make that fly past feature available? This is a very serious downgrade and takes away a lot of good functionality of the mini  4.
Even my mavic 2 two and inspire 2 are better.

Dji needs to listen to users and not just do things without consulting your valued users.   This id a serious disappointment for a loyal customer

Please do not make poor excuses for poor decisions by Dji
4-24 21:18
Use props
JohnMM
lvl.2
Australia

But why is it that the Mini 3 pro can do a fly past because that is such an important feature.
Can we as users switch something off so that we can make that fly past feature available? This is a very serious downgrade and takes away a lot of good functionality of the mini  4.

Dji needs to listen to users and not just do things without consulting your valued users.   This id a serious disappointment for a loyal customer

Please do not make poor excuses for poor decisions by Dji
4-24 21:18
Use props
_SoP_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 951020 ft
  • >>>
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-24 20:57
Thank you for patiently waiting. Upon further review, this is a normal obstacle avoidance function. If the aircraft flies close to the people, the aircraft will hover for flight safety. If there is any misunderstanding, please provide us with the operation video showing the issue so we can check it further. Thank you for understanding.

It is not (only) about flying close to people, but also having an object selected as POI for creating nice footage. Also in this case, flyover/flypast is not the same as with other DJI drones I had so far.
4-24 22:13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

JohnMM Posted at 4-24 21:18

Thank you for your feedback. We totally understand how important this feature on your end. Rest assured that we will gather this concern as a suggestion and forward it to our relevant team for future consideration. Thank you for your understanding.
4-25 22:55
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

_SoP_ Posted at 4-24 22:13
It is not (only) about flying close to people, but also having an object selected as POI for creating nice footage. Also in this case, flyover/flypast is not the same as with other DJI drones I had so far.

Thank you for your response, _SOP_. We will take note of this suggestion and forward to the respective team for attention. We appreciate your understanding.
4-25 22:56
Use props
JohnMM
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-25 22:56
Thank you for your response, _SOP_. We will take note of this suggestion and forward to the respective team for attention. We appreciate your understanding.

This is quite disappointing. This is the typical response I get every time I ask an important question.  And we all know that if something is missing from the DJI features then it will never be rectified by DJI.
I know because I have asked many times and this is the response I always get and then NOTHING ever happens to improve it.
So it appears that one is definitely better off buying an older drone which has these features.
4-26 01:48
Use props
JohnMM
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-25 22:56

What yo are really saying is: buy the Mini 5 Pro if I want the feature that should have been there in the Mini 4.
Instead of improving on existing features and firmware - They just push us to buying new drones.
4-26 01:50
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

JohnMM Posted at 4-26 01:48
This is quite disappointing. This is the typical response I get every time I ask an important question.  And we all know that if something is missing from the DJI features then it will never be rectified by DJI.
I know because I have asked many times and this is the response I always get and then NOTHING ever happens to improve it.
So it appears that one is definitely better off buying an older drone which has these features.

Hi there. While we strive to accommodate all requests, some may take time to process. Our team carefully evaluates each one to ensure the best possible outcome. Additionally, we consider the hardware capabilities. This ensures that any changes or features we implement align with the device's capabilities. Rest assured, we're committed to providing the best experience for our users. Thank you for understanding.
4-27 03:22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules