Software update 1.5 and vibration
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Guerinomaione
lvl.2
Italy

ChrisC Posted at 2016-1-7 06:04
its just something to do with Firmware in 1.5 and 1.6 firmware , it is just faulty .
We just got t ...

Hallo, are you sure that they ar working on? The said me to send mi bird for assistance...
2016-1-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

bletzinger Posted at 2016-1-7 20:04
Thanks Ken. I'll try lowering gains since that's the only option after a FW 1.6 drone configuratio ...

No problem, let us know how the lowered gains work for you.
2016-1-7
Use props
ismailtekin
lvl.2

Turkey

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-6 17:07
Your Phantom is safe to fly if you lower the gains, IMU calibration, and it minimizes the vibratio ...

hi ken i wonder will dji out a new  update to fix thşs bug or you will just tell us send our birds to you to be fixed?
2016-1-7
Use props
ismailtekin
lvl.2

Turkey

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-6 17:07
Your Phantom is safe to fly if you lower the gains, IMU calibration, and it minimizes the vibratio ...

hi ken i wonder will dji out a new  update to fix thşs bug or you will just tell us send our birds to you to be fixed?
2016-1-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ismailtekin Posted at 2016-1-8 05:06
hi ken i wonder will dji out a new  update to fix thşs bug or you will just tell us send our bird ...

They are working on it. If in the meantime the vibrations cannot be minimized and you cannot get clear video then send it in for warranty repair.
2016-1-7
Use props
franklmendonca
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Add me to the list of people experiencing the vibration problem with 1.06.004.  I have a P3P that hasn't been updated since last June and flies PERFECTLY and smoothly with whatever firmware is on it...using the Pilot app.  I bought a new Advanced from B&H on Dec. 11 and upgraded the firmware today before flying it for the first time.  I did not notice a vibration until I watched the first videos.  They are absolutely horrible and unusable.  I can see the vibration in the machine now that I know to watch for it.  I assume there is a firmware update coming that will address the problem?  It's a paperweight until DJI comes up with a fix.  Or I may just return it.
2016-1-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

franklmendonca Posted at 2016-1-8 07:05
Add me to the list of people experiencing the vibration problem with 1.06.004.  I have a P3P that ha ...

Since you bought it Dec 11th, if you return it you can buy it again fro $200 less with DJI's 10 anniv sale.
2016-1-7
Use props
rubender
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-2 10:16
1. I've sent several DAT files to China and they are reviewing them, I do not know what their posi ...

1.Thanks for an honest response.
2.It is not that I don't want to mess with settings anymore. I want my aircraft to fly as it used to, then I'll mess with the setting to fine tune it to my taste not to fix issues that DJI should take care of. I will get in touch with them.
3.Thanks for an honest response.
4.You are 100% right, that is not the answer I want. I expected a professional answer not a condescendent one trying to "teach me a lesson" on how to do my job and how to be a professional. Maybe something like showing some concerns about paying clients losing money cause of DJI's fault...?
Not that I have to explain myself, but since you are so concerned about me on high dollar professional shoots I will tell you. I am a pro videographer with two camera packages (you always need a backup, but you already know that) that bought his first drone in October (p3p) due to the increasing demand for drone coverage from my clients. Expecting to practice a lot with it during the last months (and slowest months of work for me) of the year, and I already book a few drone gigs for early 2016 (of course I stopped offering drone coverage to my clients until I fix this issue -that's where losing money and clients start-) , that way the P3P will pay for itself quickly and I could upgrade to the Inspire 1 Pro, leaving my P3P as a backup/scout drone. However, since October this will be the thrid time I have to send my drone to  Los Angeles repair facility for warranty covered malfunctions, what would make an approx of 9 weeks that I won't be able to fly or work with my drone (standard RMA in the US are 4-6 weeks, 2-3 if they are "express" RMA).
By the way, I know other drone pilots so I can rent a backup drone from them for my already booked gigs until I got my second one, it looks like I might have to rent two.

It is undeniable how technologically advance DJI products are, only comparable to its awful costumer service. These kind of issues is holding me from buying more DJI products.
2016-1-7
Use props
franklmendonca
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-8 07:11
Since you bought it Dec 11th, if you return it you can buy it again fro $200 less with DJI's 10 ann ...

Thanks...you just made up my mind.  I've used every version of the Phantom since the first one came out (flew collective pitch helis for 10 years before that), and this is the first time I've had such a problem.  I've already ordered a replacement for $200 less and gotten a return authorization.  Hopefully, the new one will come with 1.4...or will not come with a vibration issue.
2016-1-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

franklmendonca Posted at 2016-1-8 08:05
Thanks...you just made up my mind.  I've used every version of the Phantom since the first one came ...

Awesome, I'm sure your replacement will be fine.
2016-1-7
Use props
bletzinger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 133287 ft
United States

Ken,

I re-updated to 1.06 and set the gains to vr-pilot's values of pitch=90%, roll=90%, yaw=80%, vertical=90%.

Less vibration, so that was good. 2 spots in the video (same flight path) had visible (but less) yaw vibration.

So my question is - what are the minimum gain settings I should try to eliminate vibration until DJI provides a firmware fix?
2016-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

bletzinger Posted at 2016-1-9 08:46
Ken,

I re-updated to 1.06 and set the gains to vr-pilot's values of pitch=90%, roll=90%, yaw=80%,  ...

I have all mine set to 80 and vertical at 100.
Try 80 on all but the vertical. All it will make it do is fly more sluggish instead of reacting so quickly.
2016-1-8
Use props
bletzinger
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-8 19:51
Try 75 on all but the vertical. All it will make it ...

Ken,

Thanks for the immediate feedback. Will try that when I'm in the warmer weather (+40 F) tomorrow. edit: +40 F as in 75 degrees F

Thanks for all you do for users on this forum.  

2016-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

bletzinger Posted at 2016-1-9 08:55
Ken,

Thanks for the immediate feedback. Will try that when I'm in the warmer weather (+40 F) tomor ...

No problem, my official time is 8hrs M-F but I'm usually assisting for a few hours every night during the week and way more than that over the weekends.And all the other DJI reps as well.
2016-1-8
Use props
sam.james.hart
lvl.1
Australia

Hi everyone,
Unfortunately, I also suffer from these vibrations. I don't seem to have it as bad as others, but still noticeable. I've only owned the Phantom 3 Pro for just under a week now, but have been using the Inspire 1 and other custom built drones for the past 18months for a production company I work for. So as you can probably tell, I'm a little disappointed that I have an issue almost straight out of the box .
Also, unknowingly...I updated to the latest Firmware 1.6 a couple of days after receiving the drone...which is when I started having the vibrations. I believe the firmware came with version 1.4.  

I noticed the vibrations recently after doing some high aerials over some local beaches 2 days ago. Most of the footage didn't have vibrations...although some did and is unusable I believe.
This morning I used Cabralkev's gain settings - 90, 90, 85, 100 -  (posted here: ?dl=0) and they seem to have mostly got rid of the vibrations so far. I will be doing some more tests this afternoon. I'm not too concerned on sending the heli in for new motors/repairs at this stage if I can help it - especially if it's a simple case of adjusting the gains.

Here is a test video I did this morning with the difference in settings:
I can provide more footage later if needed...as some of the beach shots I mentioned were worse than this footage.

Just thought I'd add my experience so far as to fuel the need for a firmware update.
Also, if I can help in any other way or provide any other information - let me know.
2016-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

sam.james.hart Posted at 2016-1-9 11:05
Hi everyone,
Unfortunately, I also suffer from these vibrations. I don't seem to have it as bad as o ...

Also try 80,80,80,100 ad see if that helps even more.
2016-1-8
Use props
ChrisC
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-9 08:51
Try 75 on all but the vertical. All it will make it ...

Ken , you can't go lower than 80 on a P3P pro , every time i did and hit done ,
it reverted back to 100 , So i think 80% on any gain is as low as you can go.
2016-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ChrisC Posted at 2016-1-9 12:39
Ken , you can't go lower than 80 on a P3P pro , every time i did and hit done ,
it reverted back  ...

I'm sorry, brain fade. Meant 80
2016-1-8
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1997861 ft
Canada

sam.james.hart Posted at 2016-1-8 22:05
Hi everyone,
Unfortunately, I also suffer from these vibrations. I don't seem to have it as bad as o ...

I'm glad my settings helped The vibrations is much calmer, not 100% eliminated. Hopefully DJI fixes this bug in the firmware so we don't have to play with the gains.
2016-1-8
Use props
SamJH7
lvl.1
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-9 11:51
Also try 80,80,80,100 ad see if that helps even more.

Sure thing, I'll give it a test tomorrow if you like and post my findings. Has there been any feedback on a firmware update as of yet?
2016-1-8
Use props
SamJH7
lvl.1
Australia

Cabralkev Posted at 2016-1-9 13:42
I'm glad my settings helped  The vibrations is much calmer, not 100% eliminated. Hopefully DJI f ...

Yeah! Absolutely, thanks for posting your settings/findings. I'll do some more experimentation over the next couple of days with settings. Honestly, the change in the aircraft's reaction to the handset didn't really bother me all that much today. So if I can find that sweet spot in the gains, I'm happy till there's a fix.

Looking back at a couple of 120metre high aerials I did this afternoon...I can see a very slight vibration in the footage when it's just hovering (with the adjusted settings of 90, 90, 85, 100)...and I mean very slight...really have to look for it...I could probably stabilize it easily. As soon as I put movement into the shot, I don't see it at all. I can post this footage if need be too.
2016-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

SamJH7 Posted at 2016-1-9 15:45
Yeah! Absolutely, thanks for posting your settings/findings. I'll do some more experimentation ove ...

Try 80,80,80,100
That should be pretty smooth and not so quick to react to movements. It will make your video smoother as well.
2016-1-9
Use props
Guerinomaione
lvl.2
Italy

SamJH7 Posted at 2016-1-9 08:37
Sure thing, I'll give it a test tomorrow if you like and post my findings. Has there been any feed ...

Hi, is there  anyone who can ensure that dji will fix the problema with new firmware? ...
2016-1-9
Use props
Dan30
lvl.2

Spain

Guerinomaione Posted at 2016-1-10 04:54
Hi, is there  anyone who can ensure that dji will fix the problema with new firmware? ...

I to return to the 1.4 point I would do. Ken agan can not tell to DJI anything to get back to 1.6 from 1.4? it has to be easy..
2016-1-9
Use props
Dan30
lvl.2

Spain

Dan30 Posted at 2016-1-10 05:30
I to return to the 1.4 point I would do. Ken agan can not tell to DJI anything to get back to 1.6  ...

sorry for the English Ken.., I mean, if you talk to DJI to do something that let us down in the 1.6 to 1.4
2016-1-9
Use props
Guerinomaione
lvl.2
Italy

Dan30 Posted at 2016-1-9 22:32
sorry for the English Ken.., I mean, if you talk to DJI to do something that let us down in the 1. ...

Perfect... L'et us downgrade our phantom from 1.6 to 1.4 firmware....

A question please: is there anyone that knows the compass mod values? i know 1400-1600... Is it correct?
2016-1-9
Use props
csctech
lvl.1
Flight distance : 58150 ft
Canada

Dan30 Posted at 2016-1-9 14:32
sorry for the English Ken.., I mean, if you talk to DJI to do something that let us down in the 1. ...

Hello All ... I too am experiencing the vibration problem with the new firmware on a Phantom 3 Pro . w/Firmware 1.60040 installed. Also went back to 1.50030 but cant go back further due to 1.60040 being installed. I tried adjusting the gain setting 80,80,80,100 and others , did all calibrations including IMU and still get vibrations. Now back on ver. 1.60040 and was testing on bench when I discovered  that if I start the motors and let it idle until vibration starts (only takes a few seconds ) and then I grip the airframe landing gear just lightly with my thumb and finger , the vibration goes away immediately . If I let go , the vibration returns also immediately. I also tried using a clamp from an old robart incidence mete across the landing gear and no vibration . I tried flying this way and you can still detect a bit of vibration in the video but not near as bad as before . All this with the gains set to 100 % on all settings . I am wondering if anyone else has noticed or experimented this way .
2016-1-9
Use props
franklmendonca
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

If the video in post #414 is supposed to show the vibration, I must be the only one not seeing it.  After updating my Phantom 3 Advanced to 1.6, here is what I ended up with on the first short test flight:

It's substantially worse when hovering than when moving.

2016-1-9
Use props
csctech
lvl.1
Flight distance : 58150 ft
Canada

csctech Posted at 2016-1-9 15:12
Hello All ... I too am experiencing the vibration problem with the new firmware on a Phantom 3 Pro ...

Re. above post , Next I attached two very light balsa 1/4 inch dowels across the bottom of the landing gear and experienced almost no vibration , the best I have seen in a long time . I suspect that the frame movement sets up some sort of software adjustment  loop to do with possibly the accelerometer ? and when the frame is held steady it no longer tries to adjust .
2016-1-9
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

csctech Posted at 2016-1-9 23:06
Re. above post , Next I attached two very light balsa 1/4 inch dowels across the bottom of the lan ...

But you can't hold it while it's flying!

Not only that, but even if you managed to prevent the vibration by some kind of reinforcement or damping, the oscillation is still in the system & is likely to show itself by way of fatigue failure.
2016-1-9
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Fix:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-39365-1-1.html
2016-1-9
Use props
franklmendonca
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Michael M Posted at 2016-1-10 07:50
Fix:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-39365-1-1.html

Nice...but that's a patch, not a fix...just like all the other advice in this thread.  DJI needs to come out with an update that allows the Phantoms to work out of the box rather than requiring the users to experiment with settings to make the aircraft usable.  I've owned every model of the Phantom and this is the first time a firmware update has made one of them unusable...for me, that is.  I've read about a few other botched updates.
2016-1-9
Use props
SamJH7
lvl.1
Australia

franklmendonca Posted at 2016-1-10 06:23
If the video in post #414 is supposed to show the vibration, I must be the only one not seeing it.   ...

Yeah I did say that my vibrations weren't as bad as others...it has been worse on other occasions compared to that quick test I did. In the first shot, there are vibrations in the bottom of the frame.
Still...not as bad as yours, ouch .

I can safely confirm that DJI Ken's suggestion to change the gain settings to 80, 80, 80, 100 have 95% gotten rid of my vibrations. If I see any now, it's very very minor and usually while I'm idling/hovering. The heli is a little bit more sluggish to react, but I can take this into consideration when flying for my needs for the moment I suppose.
2016-1-9
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1997861 ft
Canada

SamJH7 Posted at 2016-1-9 20:50
Yeah I did say that my vibrations weren't as bad as others...it has been worse on other occasions c ...

Slow to react to what? To weather change? Gust of wind? Or is it slow when you move the Phantom with the remote controller? Just curious
2016-1-10
Use props
bletzinger
lvl.4
United States

SamJH7 Posted at 2016-1-9 20:50
Yeah I did say that my vibrations weren't as bad as others...it has been worse on other occasions c ...

update: I upgraded back to FW 1.6 and set the gains to Ken's suggestion of  gains set at 80, 80, 80, 100. Performed IMA, gimbal, compass cals. Also gave the drone a good inspection and found one of the white shock absorbers had split most of the way (plastic ring separated from cushion mid section). Researched that on youtube and found a good video on how to replace it with a spare without breaking the plastic pin. First flight at low altitude had quite a bit of drift in hover lateral and altitude - may try another set of cals later. 2nd and 3rd flights - no vibrations in the video!. It is 50 degrees F warmer here so that may be a factor. I'm happy with flying qualities at 80, 80, 80, 100 so I'll be trying some more longer distance, faster, and water flights next.

So if you have vibrations set the gains low and check your camera/gimbal/shock absorbers.
edit: another couple of flights this evening - some noticeable shake in the drone but video remains smooth

2016-1-10
Use props
tpetersen97
lvl.2
United States

I just got my P3P back from DJI repair.  I updated it with FW 1.6 right away.   When they repaired my P3P, they put the new style motors on it.  Do these gains of 80,80,80,100 apply to people with the new style of motors or is this for those with the old motors?

Thanks.
2016-1-10
Use props
ChrisC
lvl.2

United States

tpetersen97 Posted at 2016-1-10 21:48
I just got my P3P back from DJI repair.  I updated it with FW 1.6 right away.   When they repaired m ...

I think it is more for people with older motors , But just fire it up , and see if its vibrating ,
if its not your good to go , if it is then change the gains.

If its Vibrating while sitting on the ground , you will notest it right a way.
2016-1-10
Use props
ismailtekin
lvl.2

Turkey

Hi everyone. I have asked from face book djı support. And they told me that they are working on it and 1. 7 is on the way. But he didnt give me excatly when. At least it is a good news to hear they pay attention our problem and 1.7 will have a fix for this disgusting vibration problems.
2016-1-11
Use props
festusxj
lvl.2

United States

Well, I finally gave up. After 1.5, my P3S just vibrated. I tried the gain adjustment and upgraded to 1.6, but no luck. So back it went today to Amazon. On the good side, with the sale on, I figure I'll try an P3A. (since the refund is nearly the same as the cost for the A) I'm hoping there are no issues with the new drone as the vibrations don't seem to be universal. This issue seems to involve all P3s; old and new motors, P3S,A,and P, but not every unit.

While I'm not happy with the slow resolution to the vibrations, I understand DJIs prioritization of the battery issue, as drone's falling from the sky could lead to injury, damage, and lawsuits. The vibration, while not necessarily dangerous, definitely makes me uneasy and limits my ability to take the best photos and video and it really hurts those who use their drones in a commercial capacity.

Ken, again thanks for your efforts. Fingers crossed I'm done with this thread when the new drone arrives...
2016-1-11
Use props
Guerinomaione
lvl.2
Italy

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-9 16:52
Try 80,80,80,100
That should be pretty smooth and not so quick to react to movements. It will make ...

Hi Ken, it would be better let us downgrading from 1.6 to 1.4 too... Send dji this request please...
2016-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules