***Audio and video NOT SYNC!!! ****
1234Next >
20680 144 2015-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dave_kitson
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Another having "sync" issues here. I received the Osmo last week and am using it with a Rode Videomic Pro, but sadly the audio-sync makes the footage totally unusable so far.

At first I thought it was due to using 4k on a UHS-1 card, but some experimenting last night with different resolutions and cards that I know are good on other cameras proved that it seems to be some sort of random / intermittent problem.

Sometimes, the audio seems to drift, sometimes its simply out from the start and sometimes it skips. I filmed just over 2 minutes last night at 1080/25 on the supplied Lexar card, and the audio is fine until about 10 seconds on playback. At that point the audio jumps to a few seconds from the end, effectively dumping about 2 minutes of audio. I also recorded some 30 second test clips at 4k/25 and 1080/25 and they were absolutely fine, so I have a vague theory that as soon as you hit a certain file-size or video length, this is when the problems start. Unfortunately, I don't have a great deal of time to test much more :/

I've updated to the latest firmware, tried all sorts of things but the Osmo is at the moment not fit for purpose. I've sunk a couple of hundred quid on accessories already, so I have a tough decision to make as to whether to return it for refund or not.

@DJI - if there's a firmware fix coming for this please let us know and I'll wait. If not, please also let us know and I'll cut my losses and go back to my GoPro

Edit: Nearly forgot - I uploaded a short test the other day for my colleagues to see the problem - this is is one of the problems I'm experiencing:

2016-2-22
Use props
scottjwong
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9902 ft
Malaysia

I'm also having an audio sync issue. Filmed a wedding a few weeks ago, and noticed the audio sync issue.
I filmed it in Full HD (1920 x 1080), 25 FPS, with a Rode VideoMicro mic.
Kindly advise.
Thanks!
2016-2-22
Use props
zillymo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 85 ft
United States

So disappointing.  This problem makes this camera unusable for audio.   
It is truly so unfortunate, because the opportunities for using this in the field seemed so great.  

I am a professional with more than 30 years of experience.
I have tested this.  
1) It is definitely not the SD card.
2) It is not user error.  
3) It is not the editing software, or an issue of where the file is stored (on the card vs. "library" as you said)   
THE PROBLEM IS DEFINITELY THE CAMERA.     I am positive.  

No more tests required.   
DJI - Are you going to actually address this issue, or not?   

2016-2-22
Use props
zillymo
lvl.1
United States

zillymo Posted at 2016-2-22 11:32
It is truly so unfortunate, ...

p.s.  I am shooting in 1080p and still having this problem.    It is not just a 4k issue.
2016-2-22
Use props
zillymo
lvl.1
United States

egpgjacob Posted at 2016-2-4 15:12
DJI Has acknowledged that is and issue. this thread has gotten off topic.

I am hoping that DJI will ...

The audio starts to drift IMMEDIATELY.  It may not be noticeable until 3:45, but the audio and video are never really in sync.
2016-2-22
Use props
DaveK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I've posted an update and partial resolution (which people may not like too much) on another thread here:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &fromuid=243922
2016-2-23
Use props
nico_mav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1858852 ft
Greece

Yes, it's not a secret any more ... Huston we have a problem after 3-5 min audio is going out of sync.
There is many other problems with osmo ... but the trough is that has a perfect stability.
We must feel very lucky... imagine what will be happened if the osmo it was a Drone ?!
Flying to the moon ...
2016-2-23
Use props
zillymo
lvl.1
United States

ianwarsenault Posted at 2015-12-3 02:49
Sounds like it might be a discrepancy in sample rates (44.1kHz/48kHz).

Here's an article about som ...

Good idea.  But this is not it.    This would be easy to fix.
2016-2-25
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.2

United States

zillymo Posted at 2016-2-25 12:49
Good idea.  But this is not it.    This would be easy to fix.

I actually think there probably is some type of sample rate/frame rate mismatch occurring.  The clicking that people are hearing sounds like dropped audio sample mismatch which would occur if the audio and video were attempting to be encoded at different rates or if the video frame rate wasn't being clocked properly.  This isn't the only problem since there is also an audio and video lag mismatch.  I think part of the problem is that the Osmo handle has the audio preamp and encoder and the video is being handled at the camera and it is hard to say how they are synced.
Also, as a side note, the Osmo does not continuously record through the card file size limit.  When the osmo restarts a file during continuous recording, I lose about a second of time.  That's a pretty bad design oversight as the Osmo doesn't tell you when you are about to lose footage.
2016-2-25
Use props
hifistud
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Have a look at - the audio handling is shocking, and, also, when you stop a video recording, there's a few seconds chopped off the end. Ridiculous.
2016-2-26
Use props
hifistud
lvl.1

United Kingdom

hifistud Posted at 2016-2-26 20:14
Have a look at https://youtu.be/lMVP9HDRuXw - the audio handling is shocking, and, also, when you st ...

And here is a video that shows how bad it is -
2016-2-27
Use props
BIGDZ
First Officer
Flight distance : 10255860 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the same problem. Clicking, out of sync, drift... It's ridiculous indeed. I'm at the point where I'm ready to get rid of it. Probably the worse purchase I made from DJI.

I figure I'll wait til next update, if there is a solution. I'll be selling mine, Nanuk case and all. BS!
2016-2-27
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.2

United States

I'm very close to cashing out as well.  I bought into the Osmo/X5/Inspire platform when it was released because it seemed like it would be a very useful tool in my work.  It was the first affordable all in one gimbal system that promised to cut well with the larger sensor cameras that I use for videography.  Unfortunately, DJI's camera tech isn't up to par.  I was expecting problems with the low bit rate, support, and the app and stabilization being somewhat unreliable.  What I wasn't expecting was the basic video issues that have plagued the system and never been fixed.  I'm hoping that DJI has realized that they don't have the knowledge base to support their cameras and have hired in people who can fix their problems.  I'm hoping that the two to three month wait for new firmware has been due to new camera tech support coming in and actually beta testing and fixing the issues.  If the next firmware update doesn't fix at least some of the problems and we continue to not get updates on development, I need to sell out.  I can't continue to waste my time trying to find workarounds to all of the issues.
2016-2-27
Use props
rodAndTheCat
Second Officer

New Zealand

zillymo Posted at 2016-2-23 05:32
It is truly so unfortunate, ...

Just keep posting folks- keep this thread from sinking under the weight of zero response from DJI other than" send it in for repair! "Those that have, appear to have achieved nothing.

C,MON DJI WE WOULD LIKE AN UPDATE ON WHAT YOU ARE DOING ABOUT THIS. YOU CANNOT CONTINUE TO IGNORE YOUR FINANCIAL BACKERS (THAT IS US OF COURSE!)

And when the free mic eventually reaches us we will be able to hear the random click and the loss of sinc so much better. About as much use as a chocolate teapot!Under the sale of goods act products must perform as advertised- the osmo doesn't and it it not our fault it is yours.

Rod and the cat
2016-2-27
Use props
hifistud
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I'm hearing it's fixed in the next release and working properly in the beta thereof.
2016-2-28
Use props
rodAndTheCat
Second Officer

New Zealand

hifistud Posted at 2016-2-29 10:48
I'm hearing it's fixed in the next release and working properly in the beta thereof.

That's great news- it would have been courteous of them to at least answer these posts and let us know they are working on it- that's all we asked.  Thanks for the update hifistud.

Rod and the cat
2016-2-28
Use props
la2a
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Same problem here. Hope it gets fixed soon as Amazon has given me the option to get a full refund.
2016-2-29
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hifistud Posted at 2016-2-28 21:48

If I might ask: hearing from who? Somebody at dji?
2016-3-2
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.2

I decided to risk using the X5 on the Osmo yesterday for a gig.  Lots of anxiety, but it was still the best option for the shoot.  We used an external recorder and a slate at both the beginning and end of the shot since the X5 doesn't record sound at all.  The longest clip was only 3 minutes, but in that time the X5 remained synced to the sound based on the clapper.
2016-3-2
Use props
DaveK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Just an additional detail on this audio drift problem. The pic shows my editing timeline, with the Osmo's audio track (fed from a Tascam DR-40) on the top track, and the audio recorded on the Tascam's SD card on the second track.

As you can see, the one-second audio slate beep is aligned at the beginning, but has already drifted by the end:

That's quite a way out by the end of the first second!
2016-3-2
Use props
rodAndTheCat
Second Officer

New Zealand

hifistud Posted at 2016-2-29 10:48

DJI Adela,Tim, anyone! when will we see this update to fix the sync issue and clicks? Please advise. Thank you
Rod and the cat
2016-3-3
Use props
nico_mav
lvl.4
Greece

rodAndTheCat Posted at 2016-3-4 01:17
DJI Adela,Tim, anyone! when will we see this update to fix the sync issue and clicks? Please advis ...

Yes, we need a new and stable firmware pls
2016-3-3
Use props
jaleaman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

nico_mav@hotmai Posted at 2016-3-3 23:25
Yes, we need a new and stable firmware pls

Anyone? With accessories the Osmo comes in at over £700 (UK) - and no - the fleximic does not fix any of the issues - you can still hear the head fans so the only possibility for usable sound is using external audio.
This would be fine BUT FOR THE OBVIOUS SYNC ISSUES THAT EVERYBODY IS HAVING!!!!

That's an expensive and unusable (at least if you want to shoot with audio) system. Once the 2nd hand market catches wind of this selling the OSmo will only be for a fraction of the initial outlay.

Cut my losses?

I'd rather get a full refund if there really is no fix.

DJI - are you listening? No? Didn't think so.
2016-3-7
Use props
rodAndTheCat
Second Officer

New Zealand

jaleaman@me.com Posted at 2016-3-7 23:20
Anyone? With accessories the Osmo comes in at over £700 (UK) - and no - the fleximic does not fix ...

DJI we keep banging on about this and you ignoring us isn't going to fix anything.

We are your investors , just give us the courtesy of an answer- and when we can expect a firmware update to fix this. Your silence is getting deafening!

Rod and the cat
2016-3-7
Use props
nico_mav
lvl.4
Greece

rodAndTheCat Posted at 2016-3-7 13:15
DJI we keep banging on about this and you ignoring us isn't going to fix anything.

We are your i ...

Dji, can you pls tell us when the new and stable firmware is going to released ?
2016-3-7
Use props
jaleaman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

nico_mav@hotmai Posted at 2016-3-7 18:48
Dji, can you pls tell us when the new and stable firmware is going to released ?

I don't think DJI want to face this problem, perhaps hoping that it will disappear.
Admitting to this (very real) problem would render the Osmo as faulty and they'd have to incur probably massive losses on a part of their inventory that was never going to be a big profit leader anyway.
Nope. Best keep quiet, and hope that loyal customers will eventually give up and maybe even tell them that it's their fault (SD card readers anyone?) and wash their hands of it.
Meanwhile, the rushed out band aid that is the Flexi Mic is actually as useful as it was always going to be. It's not a fix for the problems, and it doesn't patch up the extremely poorly implemented audio 'features' of the Osmo. Did you really thing a £10 mic would answer your prayers?

DJI are going through the process of being caught with their pants down. They clearly didn't expect anybody to actually use the audio forgetting that this was a new category for them and that a handheld device might actually be used to film something different to what a drone might capture. People with drones never complained about the audio, so why bother implementing anything of any use in the Osmo??
Not a great move, and clearly something that can't be fixed without a complete re-design and an admission of failure. It's just not going to happen, and I doubt it will happen with a firmware update either.
And so far no response from DJI. They haven't figured it out, and probably haven't got the audio expertise to be able to. The Osmo could be a better and more useful product if they sold it for less without any audio - at least then it would be an obvious external mic/recorder situation. Cleaning up the drift might be a different story altogether though...
2016-3-8
Use props
BIGDZ
First Officer
Flight distance : 10255860 ft
  • >>>

jaleaman@me.com Posted at 2016-3-8 20:03
I don't think DJI want to face this problem, perhaps hoping that it will disappear.
Admitting to  ...

This forum and the rc group forum seem to be fading fast... DJI osmo may be the equivalent to the old 8 track. Im hoping not, but there has been no fw update to remedy the many issues of it, less forum content, and  it seems DJI has forgotten about it because of the new P4 announcement. Not good business practice.

Anyway...anyone interested in an Osmo...3 batteries, nanuk case included. I'm taking offers...
2016-3-8
Use props
nico_mav
lvl.4
Greece

jaleaman@me.com Posted at 2016-3-8 14:03
Admitting to  ...

I hope the dji solve the osmo failure with new firmware...
I'm try to not to thinking that the problems comes from hardware failure.
2016-3-8
Use props
zillymo
lvl.1
United States

jaleaman@me.com Posted at 2016-3-8 07:03
Admitting to  ...

It is not possible to really clean up the drift with any traditional methods of resyncing.   I have tried everything, and the drift is inconsistent.  Not a pulldown problem, or just starting by being off a frame or two (or six).  It is simply NOT locked to the video.   Impossible to use for longer clips.  ;(
2016-3-8
Use props
zillymo
lvl.1
United States

nico_mav@hotmai Posted at 2016-3-8 11:00
I hope the dji solve the osmo failure with new firmware...
I'm try to not to thinking that the pro ...

me, too.  I so want this thing to work.   I returned mine, and I am waitng for the new one, since DJI seems to insist there is not a general problem.  Will report back on how the new one is.   
Would love to hear from DJI with a firmware solution.  
2016-3-8
Use props
nico_mav
lvl.4
Greece

zillymo Posted at 2016-3-8 22:03
me, too.  I so want this thing to work.   I returned mine, and I am waitng for the new one, since D ...

Wish u good luck with your new Osmo...pls report your experience
2016-3-8
Use props
rodAndTheCat
Second Officer

New Zealand

jaleaman@me.com Posted at 2016-3-9 01:03
Admitting to  ...

Well  keep on asking for some answers . The problem will only disappear when we stop asking for answers , and choose a competitor's product who gives a damn about looking after its customers.
Rod and the cat.
2016-3-8
Use props
rodAndTheCat
Second Officer

New Zealand

jaleaman@me.com Posted at 2016-3-9 01:03
Admitting to  ...

Well  keep on asking for some answers . The problem will only disappear when we stop asking for answers , and choose a competitor's product who gives a damn about looking after its customers.
Rod and the cat.
2016-3-8
Use props
jaleaman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

rodAndTheCat Posted at 2016-3-8 22:10
Well  keep on asking for some answers . The problem will only disappear when we stop asking for an ...

Nah - I'm going to send mine back and wash my hands of it. The GoPro with a 3rd party gimbal (Which one could also use for a smartphone) looks to be the better option today.

It's a shame, but the fact is the Osmo is broken and there are better ways of getting stabilised handheld video.

The Osmo looks pretty and all, but it should never have come out of beta.
Doesn anyone know the best contact number in the UK to get this sorted out? I want to send it back for the full refund.

2016-3-9
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

jaleaman@me.com Posted at 2016-3-8 20:03
Admitting to  ...

Hello!
Thanks for your concern!
We are listening to you.
As for the new firmware update, please be noticed that the beta is already under process, please just wait for a little longer and allow us more time to get everything ready.

Thanks for your patience!
2016-3-9
Use props
jaleaman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-9 10:17
Hello!
Thanks for your concern!
We are listening to you.

Sorry - I haven't got time to wait - please tell me how to get a refund.
2016-3-9
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-9 10:17
Hello!
Thanks for your concern!
We are listening to you.

Hello, dji-Adela.

It's always good news to hear that help is on the way.

If I may ask three small questions:

(a) Have the audio-video synchronisation problems been identified? (yes/no)
(b) Will they be fixed in the next firmware release? (yes/no)
(c) What is your planned release date for this next release? (calendar date)

Keep up the good work.
2016-3-9
Use props
robind_r
lvl.3
United Kingdom

LenMiddx Posted at 2016-3-9 10:52
Hello, dji-Adela.

It's always good news to hear that help is on the way.

I wasn't sure if I had this sync problem on my Osmo, since I haven't actually recorded long takes with speech.
I tried it this morning and discovered that with a one minute thirty second piece to camera, the audio was out of sync by 8 frames at the end.
It seemed that the audio was ahead of the video by this amount.
Therefore, I don't think that it will matter if you record to a separate recorder, you'll always have this sync issue.
Bummer.
2016-3-9
Use props
jaleaman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

robind_r Posted at 2016-3-9 13:15
I wasn't sure if I had this sync problem on my Osmo, since I haven't actually recorded long takes  ...

The Real Bummer is trying to get hold of DJI. I've tried calling, emailing and this forum, but they don't want to respond.
I need to shoot video with Sound. The OSmo can't do it. GoPro can, and it's easy enough to get a lenparte gimbal for it.
The longer DJI keep their customers at arm's length, the longer I can't make videos.
This is without doubt the worst customer service I can remember.
Awful.
Where are you DJI?
2016-3-9
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

robind_r Posted at 2016-3-9 13:15
I wasn't sure if I had this sync problem on my Osmo, since I haven't actually recorded long takes  ...

If you sync the audio and video at the beginning of the take, as has been the case since time immemorial, either by clapper, slate, whatever, then there shouldn't be a problem provided that the video is recording correctly. The problem is with the Osmo audio only.

Yes, it's inconvenient, but at the moment that's the only way that you can do it.

ADDS: there are a number of phone and tablet apps that will give you this facility.
2016-3-9
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules