United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-12-24
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Yes! I hate that restriction especially when flying on tall mountains. Never mind, not even tall mountains, just mountains
2015-12-24
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

I'm hoping that this will happen when they release the geo-fencing, but no word on that from anyone at DJI.
In my area it's patently ludicrous. There's a lookout from which if you launched with the current restrictions, you could easily fly at thousands of feet AGL into  controlled airspace of a major international airport. Yet if you launch in a valley floor you cannot climb to a altitude above the nearby terrain for safe manoeuvring.
In the first instance unsafe and illegal flight is possible with the current system. In the second instance safe and legal flight is not possible.
2015-12-24
Use props
Davphys
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-12-24
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

The 500 meters altitude restriction is calculated from where your aircraft took off . That's still not enough ? I think that's also limited by the battery capacity . You know , you can just land when flying a long distance and battery runs out , but high altitude ? Guess the only help is a parachute . There will be a lot of work more than just canceling the restriction .  Anyway , I'll report your suggestion as I want to fly higher also .
2015-12-24
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-25 13:46
The 500 meters altitude restriction is calculated from where your aircraft took off . That's still n ...

Cheers Patrick,
I didn't realise it was a battery limitation thing, I was always under the impression it was an attempt at enforcing a safety standard for altitude. Even so, the P3 can climb to 1000m in 200s (say 3.5min) and descend in 333s (say 5.5min) that should allow at least 3-5 min flight at altitude with reserve battery, and that's at twice the current limit on altitude;  plenty of time for few shots or even a short survey.

For me this is not a huge deal, although I think the safety aspect of removing it is meritorious. A larger concern for me is the 120m limit on autonomous flight within the sdk, as I use my P3 for some surveying I get limited to 122m above take off point which becomes a significant technical limitation in what surveys can be done and a pretty serious safety risk, more so than described above.

Edit: I also really want to say how much it's appreciated when you represent us to the company
2015-12-24
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

mike.wildlight Posted at 2015-12-25 13:18
Cheers Patrick,
I didn't realise it was a battery limitation thing, I was always under the impres ...

Copy that !
2015-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules