Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Interesting Article. Is it true?
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3 ... rom-its-drones.html

Cool if true, for many, that can't handle the flight restriction, imposed upon us. ;-)
Martyn Williams
IDG News Service
  • Nov 17, 2015 6:01 PM

One of the leading manufacturers of consumer drones is loosening the control it has over whether the craft can take off in restricted areas, such as near airports.
DJI said on Tuesday that a new version of its drone control software to be released in December will allow pilots to fly in restricted areas after they have self-certified they have permission to do so.
At present, DJI's software simply blocks the drone from taking off if it's found to be within a restricted area such as within 5 miles (8 kilometers) of an airport.
"It's increasingly clear to us that a system governing the use of technology that relies on geographic location alone is not the right approach," said Brendan Shulman, vice president of policy and legal affairs at DJI, during a news conference in San Jose, California, on Tuesday.
Shulman provided several examples where drones were successfully and safely being used by airlines and flying clubs close to airports with permission of the airport operator and by emergency services in natural disaster areas covered by temporary flight restrictions.
To self certify, a drone pilot will need a DJI online account and have to provide one of two means of identification: a credit card number or a mobile phone number. They will also be prompted twice to confirm they have permission and really want to unlock flight in the restricted area.
MARTYN WILLIAMS
Brendan Shulman, vice president of policy and legal affairs at DJI, speaks at the Drone World Expo in San Jose, California, on Nov. 17, 2015.
Should the flight prove problematic and law enforcement becomes involved, the information could be turned over, said Shulman.
In addition to providing a new level of freedom for pilots, the software also brings an additional level of sophistication to flight restriction warnings.
It will include not just areas such as airports and national parks, but also temporary flight restrictions, such as those imposed for VIP travel, major sports events and military exercises. Such temporary restrictions can sometimes be imposed with little or no warning, such as in the event of a natural disaster, and DJI will rely on a feed from Airmap to keep such data up to date.
Shulman said some "security locations" will remain off-limits and pilots won't be offered the self-certification option. He cited Washington, D.C., as one such area and also said prisons and nuclear power plants would be included.
He said DJI would work with government agencies involved in national security to determine those areas and wasn't clear about how they would be decided.
MARTYN WILLIAMS
A DJI Phantom 3 drone on display in San Jose, California, on Nov. 17, 2015.
The new software will be delivered in the run up to what's expected to be a bumper sales period for drones around the year-end holidays.
DJI was one of the few drone makers to have mandatory no-fly zones programmed into its drones -- something that might have put off some potential buyers -- so the new software could go some way towards helping expand sales.
It also recognizes the complexity of drone flight and pushes back against the Federal Aviation Administration's one size fits all regulations, which are likely to change as technology becomes more complex and more legitimate applications from drones are developed.
RedHotPoker
2015-12-25
Use props
djiphantom3xx
lvl.2

Canada

Yes - don't know if it's in the current app (because I am not using that) - but my understanding is DJI is tying your cc information to an 'ID' - if you want to 'remove' the restriction. So - in case something 'does' happen where law enforcement wants to contact you - they can do that.
2015-12-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

So them draft dodgers better not apply? Chuckles

Seems fair to me. There needs to be some major trust involved, particularly  between the law abiding citizens and us passionate Phantom 3 drone pilots alike.
I know there are times when we will step over the line, a fraction, but generally, we are a great bunch of people, who only want the freedom to enjoy our chosen hobby and drone models, fully.
Heck, if we are worthy, to fly some of the best hobby grade drones manufactured, surely the drone makers @DJI can also place some trust with their most valued paying customers. That's you and me. ;-)

Have fun, fly safe, happy landing. Never felt more real than right now. You see, it just "keeps getting better every day".
What an awesome Christmas present, from our well heeled friends in China. Hehe

RedHotPoker
2015-12-25
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

I'm still using really old software and firmware, so I don't have the restrictions. It's going to stay that way.

I have a choice of registering the Phantom, flying without registration or boxing the unit up to sell.

Since coming on board back in April, DJI has made numerous patches and software updates. Some have gone smooth, others bricked perfectly good working units. I'm tired of updates. This is worse than Microsoft.

I shoot mostly still images and the P3Pro sucks as a still image machine compared to using a DSLR on a heavier platform.

This isn't fun anymore.
2015-12-26
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-12-26 10:33
I'm still using really old software and firmware, so I don't have the restrictions. It's going to st ...

ALL technology had updates ALL the time. it is NOT a DJI thing

apple OS is updated all the in iphones , ipad
windows updated all the time
android update always
automobile Computer need updated and reflashed often.

BTW you still need to register that "heavier platform drone"
unsure of your point anyhow on the photo thing other than whining!
2015-12-26
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2015-12-26 12:00

apple OS is updated all the in iph ...

My P3P isn't blocked from airport take offs. I have and early version of the developers firmware.

As for the camera thing. I guess you've never looked at a 1/2.3 12 mp image verses the 24x36mm image of the Nikon D810? Until you do, I suggest you educate yourself with the difference between the small sensor used in the P3 and a real camera sensor.  http://static.uglyhedgehog.com/upload/2014/6/2/1401708392702-sensor_sizess.jpg

Yes, the Align will be registered, but not to me. It's going in my trusts name and PO box address. The same for the Nitro copter. I've still got two months, so it ain't a big deal either way.
2015-12-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I just "Love/s" my Nikon D800, with its 36 megapixels. Yumm
Then I tungsten carbide bolt with titanium nut, tighten down on the the big gun, my 80-400mm.
And go grizzley bear hunting. Hahaha

Yee haw !!

RedHotPoker
2015-12-27
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-12-27 19:55
I just "Love/s" my Nikon D800, with its 36 megapixels. Yumm
Then I tungsten carbide bolt with titani ...

I've still got my D800 also. Glad I didn't purchase the D800e.

I'm using older AFS glass as I'm not going to drop another $30K on long glass when the 300 2.8, 400 2.8, 500 4P and 600 f4 still works.

On arctic trips, I've had Nikon service the lenses for cold weather with light weight lube. The only lens I didn't get done wouldn't auto-focus when cold.

If you can find one, the old Tamron 200-500 was a very sharp manual lens.   
2015-12-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yeah, the newer Nikkor lenses need you to take out a substantial mortgage on the home, to purchase... Hahaha
Isn't it rather odd, that you can buy an adapter ring, to use Nikon lenses on Cannon cameras? ;-) but not nice versa...

RedHotPoker
2015-12-27
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-12-27 20:25
Yeah, the newer Nikkor lenses need you to take out a substantial mortgage on the home, to purchase.. ...

Back when I was making a living on photography, it wasn't uncommon to purchase a couple of long lenses a year. Back then I was a NPS member and got to try out just about anything new before most could purchase.

The lens I should have purchased was the 300 f2, but couldn't justify $7k when the 200 f2 I used for basketball gave me almost the same results.

The biggest POS lens I contemplated purchasing was a Sigma 600 f4. Went to Photo Pro Expo to see this lens and a few other items and once I tried it out on the Maxium body (the only body they were demoing), went over to the Nikon booth and ordered the Nikon. The lens flexed right at the tripod mount.

Getting back to the DJI cameras. The improved cameras used on the Inspire1 are a huge improvement over the Phantom Pro camera. Unfortunately the small image sensor doesn't work well for still photography. Anyone that believes different, download one of the USAF camera resolution charts and shoot it with the Phantom and then your DSLR and tell me that the image is acceptable for professional use. If I were selling postcards, maybe, but I can't sell stock images that lack definition.

2015-12-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I have never been a fan of any "Bigma" lenses. I know some guys buy that junk, but I steer clear.
Acuallly would rather lose an fstop or two, and just by an extension. I also wish the collar on this 80-400mm had a better stability.
Yeah you know like the high quality Kirk, or even Right Stuff... I need to tighten the crap out of this one to make it firm, how I like it.
Decent quality Tripods got rather expensive too, huh? Good grief...

Have you tried using the HDR feature on the Phantom 3 Pro?

RedHotPoker

2015-12-27
Use props
lb11778
lvl.2
Flight distance : 368842 ft
United States

I read something about the no fly zone  during the summer.   gregg1r, what type of nitro chopper do you have?
2015-12-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yeah, & Whatcha got for Align gear?
Me, Align TRex 700E DFC HV, without a gimbal. Hahaha

Main rotor Disc span 1.6m.

RedHotPoker
2015-12-27
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-12-28 11:25
Yeah, the newer Nikkor lenses need you to take out a substantial mortgage on the home, to purchase.. ...

You never regret buying nice glass!   Budgets and wishes sometimes don't align so I've owned a few Sigmas.
Must say though I've had a coupla good Sigma lenses but prime lenses certainly are not their forte. They're not Nikkors but are good bang for buck.
2015-12-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Suppose they all have their good and not so great lenses.
Ah, I just seem to have better luck, going with higher-quality products up front.
Opposed to acquiring something for much less money, then buying a better model later, anyway.
I could certainly have bought something with farther reach on paper, but would I be as happy, after seeing the printed results?

RedHotPoker
2015-12-27
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-12-27 22:24
Yeah, & Whatcha got for Align gear?
Me, Align TRex 700E DFC HV, without a gimbal. Hahaha

The Align is an M690L. The payload capacity is 10 pounds. I'm working on a servo for changing the zoom as well as adjusting the circular polarizer. The Futaba radio has more than enough channels available. The negative is selecting parts to make it all work together. I've got the $1200 gimbal so I can run different cameras.

My Nitro chopper is an early 1990's version of the Starwood Lama. Two stroke gas motors when this was built weren't very reliable with the magneto's. I've got a work/takeoff stand since it requires the rubber band to start and I'm not keen on getting smacked with a blade. It uses a 900mm main rotor blade. Before purchasing the Align, I contemplated doing a swap to a turbine power plant. For around $2k I can do the swap with a new gearbox.  The advantage of nitro or gas is/was long flight times, not 20-25 minutes with two batteries.
2015-12-28
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

gregg1r Posted at 2015-12-28 11:07
I've still got my D800 also. Glad I didn't purchase the D800e.

I'm using older AFS glass as I'm n ...

Very impressive list there!

Quite jealous of all! the 400 2.8 is a lens I've desired for quite some time.

2015-12-28
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Is it true?
Listen to Brendan Schulman himself explain things:
https://t.co/aCBXy23nPX
2015-12-28
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

mike.wildlight Posted at 2015-12-28 17:10
Very impressive list there!

Quite jealous of all! the 400 2.8 is a lens I've desired for quite so ...

A friend of mine owns Service Photo. When I wanted a long lens, he ordered one thru NPS (Nikon Professional Services) for me at cost. He made money on the NPS sale, I got the lens at a great price.

I shot Nascar, MLB and wild life plus the occasional basketball game. It would have been nice to only purchase a few of the lenses, but the only high quality fast zoom Nikon made at the time was the 200-400.

Inside of the arenas, the 200f2 was my prime lens. Baseball required the 400 or 500mm lens for the pit to 3rd base slide. Nascar, you floated around the pits and inside wall looking for the wreck waiting to happen.

My glass doesn't have the silent wave focus. Doesn't matter 99% of the time because you're focused on a spot. Wildlife the auto focus is useful, but shoot enough and you'll get good sell-able shots.

You can easily get caught up in having the newest and fastest lens. What matter is learning lighting and composition and studying the subject you're shooting.
2015-12-28
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2015-12-26 12:00

apple OS is updated all the in iph ...

I am sure you camera is far superior , it is designed to be
I guess my point about the camera is it WAS EXACTLY the little camera when you bought it that you are whining about.
that's like buying a chevy and complaining its not like your BMW

If you thought it was the same class as your others you may be the one needs a bit of learning!

Didn't you know what the camera specs were at purchase or did it suddenly change now that the FW make you mad?

Glad you are a super photographer that is awesome and I am happy for you.

good luck and have fun flying!
2015-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules