1234Next >
12392 121 2016-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gbrenema
lvl.1

United States

Fly away of my Phantom 3---- I know how you feel
Message: My phantom 3 flew away Sunday while returning to me at an altitude of 400 feet and a range of 2500 feet. After a perfect flight as it was returning I started getting signal loss messages and then everything just went blank. I lost the video and telemetry instantly. I activated the home point but there was no response. I have a phantom 2plus as well and am very experienced with the phantom series. All batteries including the controller were charged and i was showing 70 % remaining on the flight battery with all cells nominal. I had updated all firmware and made two successful flights before this occurred. My line of sight was perfect with no obstructions. I calibrate at every launch point and make sure all systems are nominal. I should also say that this was an open desert area with no signal interference possibilities.The phantom 3 had already been in the air for 7 minutes with no issue. I have bought both my phantoms directly from DJI. I did attempt to find it at its last map location out in the desert but found nothing after hours of searching. After dozens of long flights with this P3 I find this very disturbing with no understanding of what went wrong. I am also out $1250.00. DJI contacted Monday and no response.
2016-1-15
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Flight distance : 112211 ft
Netherlands

jmesq32 Posted at 2016-1-15 22:57
Ok , thanks for info , as my concern as this is a APP supported by dji , the should repair your ai ...

Thanks, up until know DJI is a bit slow in getting back on this ..
2016-1-16
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

RodB Posted at 2016-1-14 21:10
For the life of me I dont understand why the motors on-of switch is on the same sticks you fly wi ...

That stick movement is called a CSC (combined stick command). It should be left as is.
Inexperience pilots wont under this. Over time you will. Its used for emergency purposes for immediate shutdown. Because you are already on the sticks, the reaction time is reduced. An inexperienced pilot will have the same issue with a button, fumbling around looking for it. Even if DJI designed a button, it would be a 3 second hold button. 3 seconds is long time when a child has its fingers in the spinning props.

Chances of allowing the sticks to be in CSC during flight is very very rare. When does a pilot need to descend whilst yawing right whilst going backwards whilst banking left at maximum rates???

Just remember - use method 2 from the manual for landing. That is down stick for 3 seconds. The phantom should sense its no longer descending and the motors will shut off. Method 1 for CSC landing should be avoided as it causes tip overs. The only time you need to use CSC when landing is when you see a dog or child running to your phantom and attempting to grab it.
2016-1-16
Use props
dewayt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 641224 ft
United States

so from what I have understood out of this thread/response from DJI is that they will not warranty a crash that comes when someone is using 3rd party programs like litchi, or autopilot unless it is an obvious mechanical issue?
2016-1-18
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

dewayt@gmail.co Posted at 2016-1-18 23:53
so from what I have understood out of this thread/response from DJI is that they will not warranty a ...

This looks very much like an obvious battery failure. This is the next reaction from support:
====
Dear Martijn,

Thank you for your email.
I understand your frustration.
Unfortunately i cannot overrule the R&D department, i'm sorry.

Thanks for choosing DJI
====

I find this really unbelievable...
2016-1-19
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-14 10:48
Hi , Martijn
We'll investigate your issue .

Hello Patrick,

Did you talk to support? This is the message I got back from support EU:
===
Dear Martijn,

Thank you for your email.
I understand your frustration.
Unfortunately i cannot overrule the R&D department, i'm sorry.

Thanks for choosing DJI
===
2016-1-19
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

gbrenema@ix.net Posted at 2016-1-16 10:10
Fly away of my Phantom 3---- I know how you feel

Could you please give me your ticket number ? We'll try to help you .
2016-1-19
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

dewayt@gmail.co Posted at 2016-1-18 23:53
so from what I have understood out of this thread/response from DJI is that they will not warranty a ...

Sounds like a sensible policy, unless the third party app is tested and approved by DJI
2016-1-19
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-19 11:24
Could you please give me your ticket number ? We'll try to help you .

Hello Patrick,

This is my ticket number: 147201

I also tried contacting this above mentioned Ryan Tong (San Francisco) but he has not responded to emails.
2016-1-19
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-1-19 13:46
Sounds like a sensible policy, unless the third party app is tested and approved by DJI

why? First of all DJI explicitly mentions that the use of third party apps do not mean you void warranty (as Ryan Tong's email shows) and secondly DJI is still responsible for their hardware. Everything in this case points to a battery failure, a third party app can not bring that about.
2016-1-19
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Norway

If it is a software error the software supplier should be the one to refund damage/loss due to a crash.
But if it is hardware error the hardware supplier should do it.
At least that's my opinion
I'd hate for someone to buy something from me, install some software I have no control over then claim me for software crash.
That would be Madness!
So you hvae to hope for some hadrware to have failed, and after that you have to find as many religeous people as possible and have them pray for support to even read your emails.
I did a honest estimate over the temperature and guessed -2 when I lost my bird.
The first reply came quicly, stating the range 0-40c was violated so they cant pay.
I then kept digging and found weather data from a municipal weather station as well as learned about the drone logs and both proved me wrong putting temp within warranty range.
Presented the evidence to them and apologized for my unpleasant panicky behaviour.
I dont think they even bothered to look at the log.
Two months and plenty of emails later from me and even a couple from DJI-Patrick and still no solution.
Now they only reply with a wish for me to rate their service....
"Request #151996: How would you rate the support you received?"
Best of luck to you buddy
2016-1-19
Use props
DrACE
lvl.3

United States

Case in point.....why you don't use 3rd party apps with expensive toys.
2016-1-19
Use props
dewayt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 641224 ft
United States

DrACE Posted at 2016-1-19 21:22
Case in point.....why you don't use 3rd party apps with expensive toys.

would make sense, however DJI gives out its SDK for other app makers to create apps that work with their machines. They encourage 3rd party apps to be made, because those apps also help drive sales. I understand the notion of selling someone a bird, they use some 3rd party app and it crash then they come to me to fix it... however,  SDK only allows so much manipulation..infact its a controlled manipulation for a reason.  Im not saying they should pay for a crash with a 3rd party app at all... im only saying why encourage it if the first thing they are going to say when you were using a 3rd party app is sorry cant fix it.   

So what you said makes sense,   One might not think its worth the risk to use any 3rd party apps if you want some type of warranty to be applied when something happens.
If i was a 3rd party app maker, especially somoene like Litchi or Autopilot whose made pretty good money selling their app, I would pay close attention to this particular case and others like it. If it starts getting popular, then people may not purchase their app because they are afraid if something happens DJI will write them off when they try a warranty claim. Also, DJI can stand to be a little more helpful because certainly these apps help sell the quads. maybe some type of approval process the app makers can get from DJI so that DJI can attest to the quality of the app or something... who knows..
2016-1-19
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-1-19 21:01
Hello Patrick,

This is a special case we are keep working on it.  Appreciate  you for your patience !
We will come up with the results asap!
2016-1-20
Use props
pknopp
New

United States

pfalcon Posted at 2016-1-13 13:53
Wow, DJI really do look for any loophole to avoid responsibility in warranty cases.  I am a potentia ...

These problems with customer support is why I have held off buying one so far.
2016-1-20
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

stephengreenwal Posted at 2016-1-14 20:13
At time 01:29 into the video, I see some part of the drone coming into view at the lower left.  I  ...

That's just the landing gear getting in the frame due to gimbal movement.  Perfectly normal.
2016-1-20
Use props
davidlwoodall
lvl.2

United States

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-1-3 04:33
Powering it back up should result in a new log.The battery temp stays put for almost a minute thoug ...

Completely off topic, and I'm truly hoping you get this solved, but.....

How did you create the image showing your flight path and altitude (3D-ish) in Google Earth? That is a very useful tool.
2016-1-20
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Norway

.kml files

davidlwoodall@g Posted at 2016-1-20 15:04
How did you create the image showing your flight path and altitude (3D-ish) in Google Earth? That is a very useful tool.

First you upload your logs to either Flytrex (Supports more aircrafts) or Heathy Drones (More functions)

From there you can export .kml files for import to Google Earth

Click here for more info on Flytrex functions

Click here for a writeup on Healthy Drones
2016-1-20
Use props
davidlwoodall
lvl.2

United States

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-1-20 12:38
First you upload your logs to either Flytrex (Supports more aircrafts) or Heathy Drones (More funct ...

Thanks so much, Balthazar!
2016-1-20
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-20 12:05
This is a special case we are keep working on it.  Appreciate  you for your patience !
We will co ...

Thanks Tim,

Hope to hear soon. Jim McAndrew from Autoflightlogic is also contacting Ryan Tong about this since he sent the original email that third party apps do not void warranty.
2016-1-20
Use props
Travis726
lvl.1
Flight distance : 600676 ft
United States

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-1-13 09:25
This is really unbelievable. This is the respons I got back from DJI support:

The R&D deparment has ...

This is absolute b.s.. They KNOW using 3rd party apps DOES NOT void the warranty, they are just hoping you didn't. Dji, you  should be ashamed of themselves. Thank you for posting, as someone that was going to drop $1400 next week on a phantom plus accessories I definitely appreciate it.

I have been seeing a lot of posts recently about phantoms failing, I realize the more sold, the more will fail. But the way Dji knowingly and purposely tried to get out of taking care of their customer is unacceptable.  

Dji has lost at least one customer. I will be looking into yuneec most likely (maybe 3dr). At least they take care of their customers (at least it appears that way based on what I've read.

I have a feeling you will be taken care of, but you shouldn't have to argue about 3rd party app b.s.

SHAME ON YOU DJI.

2016-1-20
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-1-19 21:01
Hello Patrick,

Hi . Martijn
Was the drone carrying something when the crash happened ? Were the props broken before that flight ?
And , I've retrieved your fatal flight data via your ticket , could you please give me more data ?  
2016-1-20
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-21 07:50
Hi . Martijn
Was the drone carrying something when the crash happened ? Were the props broken befo ...

The drone was not carrying anything and the props were ok before the crash.

Through this link you can download all dat files I have been able to download from the drone:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iirfc ... O7ys-16-meSPSa?dl=0
2016-1-21
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-1-21 17:11
The drone was not carrying anything and the props were ok before the crash.

Through this link you ...

Thank you for your cooperation .
2016-1-21
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-21 07:50
Hi . Martijn
Was the drone carrying something when the crash happened ? Were the props broken befo ...

I have uploaded the DJI go app flight data also to healthy drones (litchi and Autopilot were there already. If you want I can send my inlog to look at those (though a personal message)
Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 13.01.11.png
2016-1-21
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-1-21 20:02
I have uploaded the DJI go app flight data also to healthy drones (litchi and Autopilot were there  ...

Thanks  for that .  I'll get you a reply as soon as possible .  
2016-1-21
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-21 13:14
Thanks  for that .  I'll get you a reply as soon as possible .

Be looking forward to that ... ;-)
2016-1-21
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-1-21 21:51
Be looking forward to that ... ;-)

Hi , Martijn
Could you please reboot your aircraft and give me the latest data ? That would be very helpful . Thank you !
2016-1-21
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-22 04:01
Hi , Martijn
Could you please reboot your aircraft and give me the latest data ? That would be ver ...

I sent you a link to all the dat files I was able to retrieve?
2016-1-21
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-1-22 15:22
I sent you a link to all the dat files I was able to retrieve?

Yes , I received that .  I mean ,could you bother to start your aircraft again and give us the data ?  Just need the latest data . I know that troubles , but it would be great for our data analysis .
2016-1-21
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-22 08:57
Yes , I received that .  I mean ,could you bother to start your aircraft again and give us the dat ...

The drone is at my brother's place in France (I live in Netherlands but but it in France while visiting my brother).

What exactly should he do? He can start the drone but did that already to download the data? Problem is the DJI GO app used is on my phone (in Netherlands) and the drone is in France.
2016-1-22
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-22 08:57
Yes , I received that .  I mean ,could you bother to start your aircraft again and give us the dat ...

I can send yo the txt files from the DJI GO app?
2016-1-22
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-1-22 11:46
The drone is at my brother's place in France (I live in Netherlands but but it in France while vis ...

PS the DAT files I sent the link to are the latest files including the fatal flight
2016-1-22
Use props
tim.hulse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72881 ft
Bermuda

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-1-19 05:29
This looks very much like an obvious battery failure. This is the next reaction from support:
==== ...

What the heck have R&D got to do with anything here? If it's been legal, I could see it. It makes no sense.
2016-1-22
Use props
tim.hulse
lvl.2
Bermuda

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-1-19 09:02
why? First of all DJI explicitly mentions that the use of third party apps do not mean you void wa ...

Warranty:
http://www.dji.com/service/warranty-service?www=v1
What someone says in an email isn't particularly relevant.
2016-1-22
Use props
tim.hulse
lvl.2
Bermuda

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-1-21 08:02
I have uploaded the DJI go app flight data also to healthy drones (litchi and Autopilot were there  ...

Looks like a sensible, conservative use of the aircraft.
2016-1-22
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

tim.hulse Posted at 2016-1-22 13:15
What the heck have R&D got to do with anything here? If it's been legal, I could see it. It makes  ...

By EU law a company can not hide behind the fact that a third party app is used when the failure itself has nothing to do with the third party app. Since this seems to be a battery failure that point is easy to make.

Also, if DJI would be against third party apps they should not be making an official public SDK that they promote, not show third party apps at commercial occasions to show off what is possible etc.
2016-1-22
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-1-22 11:47
I can send yo the txt files from the DJI GO app?

Here is the link to the DJI GO files (file is too big for upload):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dp1e5b78ak52fj3/djigo.zip?dl=0

I have used my phone (a iPhone 5s) as well as my brothers with the DJI GO app (iPhone 6). Does that mean that the *.txt files are still partly on his phone?
2016-1-22
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

tim.hulse Posted at 2016-1-22 13:21
Looks like a sensible, conservative use of the aircraft.

I was still in the learning phase ... ;-)
2016-1-22
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

My guess it that the third party software used caused the crash.I have not tried any other software apps because I still have no trust in the softwares designs.
I have seen a few noted on this site like Litchi that seem to be very promising, but again, unless I do not care if I have to buy a new Phantom, I am staying clear till they are a bit better.
2016-1-22
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules