Bluetooth GPS unit for iPad Air 2 wifi-only that works with DJI
3769 7 2016-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wmlaven
New

United States

I have a wifi-only iPad Air 2 and I love the big screen for DJI Go, but the wifi version does not have a GPS chip so I don't have GPS capability for flying, mapping, etc. I know there are bluetooth GPS units that can communicate with the wifi iPad 2's, but don't know if that info is available to the DJI GO program. Many posts about Bluethooth GPS's comment on their limited functionality and that not all apps can access the GPS info. (Note: Bluetooth is necessary because the other GPS units for iPad use the Lightning Connector which I need to attach the controller.)

So, has anyone actually used a Bluetooth GPS unit with their wifi-only iPad Air and confirmed that it makes that GPS data available to DJI GO.
2016-1-28
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

See this thread here.  I mention a few compatible units.  You need a certain type that is "Apple compatible", that is it needs to be WAAS capable.
2016-1-28
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

endotherm Posted at 2016-1-29 15:27
See this thread here.  I mention a few compatible units.  You need a certain type that is "Apple com ...

Cool, did you try it yourself?
2016-1-29
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-29 19:46

Yes, I have the Garmin GLO. Once it is connected via bluetooth, iOS sees it as part of the system.  Apps will see it as a native GPS.  Next time I fly I will test all the intelligent flight modes and report back (e.g. follow me) so I can determine if it is the GPS unit being tracked or the iPad.  My biggest problem is I keep misplacing it every time I come back from a flight because it is so small.  I have to turn the house upside down again to find it and come up with a proper protocol to make sure it doesn't get separated from my equipment!
2016-1-29
Use props
wmlaven
New

United States

endotherm Posted at 2016-1-29 15:33
Yes, I have the Garmin GLO. Once it is connected via bluetooth, iOS sees it as part of the system. ...

Thanks, Endotherm. I just bought a Dual SkyPro XGPS 160 which was recommended on another forum and an update of one mentioned in the thread you linked to. I heard it works well with the iPad and DJIGO and also Autopilot which i've just purchased. Looking forward to accurate GPS info for Follow Me and other stuff. I still need to learn how to download maps over wifi before I go flying, but once I get that figured out and the GPS attached, I should be good to go.
2016-1-29
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

wmlaven Posted at 2016-1-30 12:03
Thanks, Endotherm. I just bought a Dual SkyPro XGPS 160 which was recommended on another forum and ...

No problem, good luck with the GPS.  I think the way you pre-download the maps is that you open DJI GO, then navigate to the area you intend to fly.   Scroll around and let your home wifi connection populate the map data for the area.  Zoom in as far as you like for highly detailed maps.  Depending on your connection speed, you will see it download and the detail will increase.  The amount of time to download all the detail will depend on your connection speed.  If you are exploring a wide area, you need to zoom in, scroll across a bit, wait for it to download, scroll a bit, wait...   A big area could take quite a while.   I'd suggest going to satellite view so you will get a good idea how detailed the map has downloaded.  If you just want major features like roads and rivers etc, it might go a lot faster.  Anyway, after you have "explored" the area, it will be cached on your iPad, and it will be available next time you turn it on and have no internet connection.  I don't know how much it can cache before flushing old data.  Obviously it will help if your device isn't full of apps and photos etc.
2016-1-30
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-29 19:46

Just to update, I confirmed today that the follow-me feature actually tracks to the external bluetooth GPS unit, not the iPad itself.  You could concieveably give the unit to somebody and let them wander off, with you following up off camera controlling the aircraft.  Keep in mind that it is only connected via short-range bluetooth, so they can't get too far away.  I think this would work well with a skier or bike rider etc, with a chase vehicle a short distance behind.  This scenario could possibly also work for GPS ENABLED iPads, something to keep in mind if filming a follow-me chase sequence.
2016-2-4
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

endotherm Posted at 2016-2-4 17:33
Just to update, I confirmed today that the follow-me feature actually tracks to the external blueto ...

Yeah that would be pretty cool scene !
2016-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules