83267 88 2016-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
carlo_CH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 246673 ft
Switzerland

Hey guys.
I installed the ARGTEK-Mod a few days ago on my P3S RC. I'm actually quite disappointed. It did not extend my stock-range at all. The range now is nearly the same or even less, both in urban and country areas.
Im sure i installed everything right. I even re-opend it and checked the wires again, everything fits and is in the right place.
Does anybody know what the issue might be?

Thx in advance.

Connections

Connections
2016-5-4
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

carlo_CH Posted at 2016-5-4 11:39
Hey guys.
I installed the ARGTEK-Mod a few days ago on my P3S RC. I'm actually quite disappointed. I ...

Insure that your your antennas are securely seated.  The panel antenna should be  towards your bird at all times since they are designed to tighten the signal pattern to increase the range.
NOTE: I removed the stock 2.4GHZ panel antennas inside the controller

Now you I assume do run in CE mode, so this might be a problem.  One trick to solve this is to also get a Sunhans booster to really crank up the range.

For me, My FPV did double and also the RC signal,but I also  switched out the RC antenna for a panel based with a higher dBi
5.8Ghz 11dBi High-gain Panel Antenna

last trick, and this is an odd one.  Now the Standard line does not "support" the 32 channel hack, but when I did this hack, my range went to 2 miles (3.21 KM).
http://forum.dji.com/thread-27147-1-1.html
Granted you never get the option to view this with the standard, but seemed to help invisibly.

Sunhans Booster links:

4800mAh DC 12V Super Lithium Polymer Battery

DJI Phantom 3 - 2.5W 2.4GHz Extended Range Signal Booster Kit

One I am thinking of getting and testing is this:

KASOTEK 2.4Ghz Wireless Mini Signal Amplifier

2016-5-5
Use props
Ricardo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I have installed the Argek ones on my P3A and they are great! I was able to go about a mile or so with my stock setup. I made the windsurfers and also bought the copper parabolic ones. Both of those had the same results and helped a lot making it to where I could easily go 8,000 ft. to 10,000 ft. routinely. I bought the Argtek and it only took about 30 minutes to install and was not hard to do at all. The Argtek allow me to get 3+ miles on several occasions. Wouldn't want to get out much farther though, had a full battery lifting off and returned with around 10% left.
2016-5-5
Use props
carlo_CH
lvl.2
Switzerland

microcyb Posted at 2016-5-5 15:38
Insure that your your antennas are securely seated.  The panel antenna should be  towards your bird ...

Thanx for your response!!!
Yes i removed the stock 2.4 antennas as well.
I just installed the configs-file, will try it tomorrow, hopefully it works.

I'm also thinking about buying the following antennas (picture).
Do you think they will help extending my range?

Concerning the CE-Mode: Yes, since i'm in europe it must be the CE-Mode. What does it affect and is there any way to change it?
Unbenannt.jpg
2016-5-5
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

carlo_CH Posted at 2016-5-5 13:01
Thanx for your response!!!
Yes i removed the stock 2.4 antennas as well.
I just installed the confi ...

I replaced the RC antenna with 5.8Ghz 11dBi High-gain Panel Antenna

The higher the dBi the tighter the signal pattern so you get a better range.
NOTE: You need to insure you are pointed at the bird when you do this since the stock antennas are more wide range and this sharpens the signal more towards one direction.

This is why the paribolic antennas help as it helps to pint the signal in the forward direction versus all over the place.

Some other antennas I am going to test out is Jrelecs High Self recovery Function 5.8G 14db Aerial Panel Antenna and Alfa APA-M25 dual band 2.4GHz/5GHz 10dBi high gain antenna
2016-5-5
Use props
carlo_CH
lvl.2
Switzerland

microcyb Posted at 2016-5-5 19:59
I replaced the RC antenna with 5.8Ghz 11dBi High-gain Panel Antenna

The higher the dBi the tighter ...

Allright, thx. Would be great if you good give us a report once you have tested these antennas.

Did u also replace the 5.8 antenna in the middle with a panel or do u use a omni-directional antenna?
2016-5-5
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

carlo_CH Posted at 2016-5-5 14:16
Allright, thx. Would be great if you good give us a report once you have tested these antennas.

D ...

I did in fact replace the RC antenna (middle one) with the 5.8GHZ 11dBi panel version.
Now just to note three panel antennas will not sit next to each other, so I rotate the RC antenna to the bottom.
Has no issues, and if anything really helps a lot.  I have had 2 miles (3.21KM) range.  The FPV would sometime go out after 1.5 miles but the RC signal has been solid.

IMG_8884.JPG

Some claim the DBS is better, but I never went that route since the prices on the Pro/Adv keep going down.

2016-5-5
Use props
carlo_CH
lvl.2
Switzerland

microcyb Posted at 2016-5-5 21:05
I did in fact replace the RC antenna (middle one) with the 5.8GHZ 11dBi panel version.
Now just to ...

how does it work since it is not faced in direction of the drone if you rotate it to the bottom?

edit: i just saw it on the picture, you rotated 180 degrees so it is supposed to work then.

2016-5-5
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

carlo_CH Posted at 2016-5-5 15:13
how does it work since it is not faced in direction of the drone if you rotate it to the bottom?

e ...

Yup, it rotates without unscrewing and also can be angled.
At least for this setup, my tests have been with suburban areas with lot of homes to farm land areas.
In the suburban areas after 5000 feet (1524 Meters) the FPV with start to do the weak signal then regain signal or FPV cut out, but the RC strength is still almost full bars.
In farm land areas, 11000 feet (3352 meters) and then I get the RC signal to do the red one bar.
FPV seems to be the main thing I need to improve more as I will start to get weak signal after 9000 feet (2743 meters).

Granted the Pro/Adv do not have such problems, but when I got the Standard the Pro/Adv were still double the price of the standard so spending and extra $100.00 US extra was worth it.

Here are other antennas if you want to shop around.

Amazon RP-SMA Antennas
2016-5-5
Use props
carlo_CH
lvl.2
Switzerland

microcyb Posted at 2016-5-5 21:25
Yup, it rotates without unscrewing and also can be angled.
At least for this setup, my tests have ...

ok, i guess i will trying to replace the antennas as well.
My main problem are both the 2.4ghz antennas since i always lose the video-signal but never the rc-connection. to regain the signal i always have to fly back to a 10-20m distance. further away, it does not regain the signal automatically.

thanks for your help! i will report as soon as i have tested it.
2016-5-5
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

carlo_CH Posted at 2016-5-5 15:36
ok, i guess i will trying to replace the antennas as well.
My main problem are both the 2.4ghz an ...

Oh that is a DJI flaw!
Once it drops FPV signal or even goes out for a second, the newest DJI GO app says no signal.
What I have done, is do a 360 turn hovering still when I get the no signal and I get the FPV back.  Major code flaw (that and the go home pop up).

The issue I see is that the bird has a little tiny antenna and only in one place.
Because of the latest revisions to the app, now even if you have a solid FPV and RC signal, the FPV will drop on you and not recover till the bird fly's quite close to see full FPV bars.

My next experiment is going to crack open the Standard and replace that little antenna with something that makes more sense.
2016-5-5
Use props
carlo_CH
lvl.2
Switzerland

microcyb Posted at 2016-5-5 21:42
Oh that is a DJI flaw!
Once it drops FPV signal or even goes out for a second, the newest DJI GO ap ...

Today i took two attempts in a mountain area:

On the first attempt i lost the singal after 250m and a height of 400m.
On the second i flew at least 1km after i lost the signal an the aircraft returned home automatically.
Well, 1km is not bad, but since there was no interference (or at  least almost no intergerence) and i also had a clear view to the  aircraft (nothing between), i'm still expectng more.
This time, the issue was the 5.8ghz-antenna, since the video-connection was always strong and clear.
I think i'm gonna replace it, as you told me.

Screenshot_20160507-144027.jpg
2016-5-7
Use props
Crofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23415 ft
Australia

If you watch this video about the ARGtek mod, he states that P3S range vary a lot and Blue Proton are releasing at 10dbi version.

I got mine out just over 400m (in Australia which is lower powered CE mode), without and mods
2016-5-8
Use props
carlo_CH
lvl.2
Switzerland

microcyb Posted at 2016-5-5 21:42
Oh that is a DJI flaw!
Once it drops FPV signal or even goes out for a second, the newest DJI GO ap ...

Today i made a testflight with different 2.4 ghz antennas:

the first with two 8dbi omni-directionals antennas and the second (same route) with the stock argtek 7dbi panel-antennas.

both times i didn't reach much more than 100m.

by the way, i use the newest firmware.

2016-5-15
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

carlo_CH Posted at 2016-5-15 09:56
Today i made a testflight with different 2.4 ghz antennas:

the first with two 8dbi omni-direction ...

Well that is seriously not right.
Did you turn off the Enable Max Distance?
2016-5-16
Use props
carlo_CH
lvl.2
Switzerland

microcyb Posted at 2016-5-16 15:05
Well that is seriously not right.
Did you turn off the Enable Max Distance?

yes i did. anyway, if it was enabled, it would just remind me to return home but not lose the connection.

i have no clue about the issue.
2016-5-16
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

carlo_CH Posted at 2016-5-16 11:37
yes i did. anyway, if it was enabled, it would just remind me to return home but not lose the conn ...

Re check all your connections. They should be in this order. IMG_8198.jpg
2016-5-16
Use props
carlo_CH
lvl.2
Switzerland

microcyb Posted at 2016-5-16 19:30
Re check all your connections. They should be in this order.

i checked it, they are all in the right order.
2016-5-16
Use props
carlo_CH
lvl.2
Switzerland

microcyb Posted at 2016-5-16 19:30
Re check all your connections. They should be in this order.

2016-5-16
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

carlo_CH Posted at 2016-5-16 16:43

Odd as I just did another test with latest firmware and had solid ranges exceeding the standards limits.
Are you sure those cables are in fact connected fully?  Unless there is some defect with the controller, I am at a loss why your range is just so terrible.
2016-5-17
Use props
carlo_CH
lvl.2
Switzerland

microcyb Posted at 2016-5-17 15:46
Odd as I just did another test with latest firmware and had solid ranges exceeding the standards l ...

well i did reach 1km once in an open area. maybe it is because i did the test in an area with high interference.
anyway, it's still strange..
2016-5-17
Use props
emkisb
lvl.1

Lithuania

I get similar results in city area flying over high schools stadium with no obstructions. So in this area I can't reach altitude more then 70 meters or distance more than 80 meters without losing the signal, although I'm able to control the quad.
Out of town, near private houses i can reach hight of 120 meters and more than 300 meters distance without loosing signal. maybe I could reach more didn't try.
So I suppose the wifi network used for video transmission is very sensitive for external radio interference.   
2016-5-19
Use props
carlo_CH
lvl.2
Switzerland

emkisb@dtiltas. Posted at 2016-5-19 12:48
I get similar results in city area flying over high schools stadium with no obstructions. So in this ...

alright. but do u use a range extender like argtek or do u just fly with the stock controller?
2016-5-19
Use props
emkisb
lvl.1

Lithuania

I use stock controller, no modifications.
2016-5-19
Use props
carlo_CH
lvl.2
Switzerland

Somebody wrote this on youtube, might be the reason:

Unbenannt.png
2016-5-21
Use props
hayen.dominique
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8117 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

I just ordered the latest Sunhans 5.8 2W signal booster for my P3S (sunhans model: SH-RC58G2W)

In CE mode with latest firmware I get normal range (300-400m) before RC signal gets weak or lost (in open area). So that looks normal.

Anyway, I noticed occasional loss of RC signal in closer range and altitude, depending on the orientation of the transmitter towards the Phantom.

I want to use the Phantom over watter taking off from my sailboat, but can't afford RC signal loss and auto-activating RTH beceause there is no home... only watter!

That's why I want to install the Sunhans booster to keep the RC signal strong.

Anybody has got experience with these boosters? What kind of antenna should I install?

2.4 Video signal remains good so I'm not going to make any mod's there at the moment.

Link booster:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2 ... 3-8761-e05ccf1be38a

2016-8-11
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

hayen.dominique Posted at 2016-8-11 04:47
I just ordered the latest Sunhans 5.8 2W signal booster for my P3S (sunhans model: SH-RC58G2W)

In C ...

Any other parts you added to this such as extra battery, etc?  Interested in your results.
2016-8-17
Use props
jsemedo
lvl.2

Portugal

Not understanding these values...I have a P3Standard with no mods at all and I reach easily 850 mts with no lack of video signal.
Live in Europe-Portugal.

Cheers

Joao Semedo
2016-8-17
Use props
n.shtykov
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71778 ft
Russia

Btw, I have hardshell backpack and wonder can I pack argtek mode correct or I have to cut out something?
2016-8-18
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

n.shtykov Posted at 2016-8-18 08:37
Btw, I have hardshell backpack and wonder can I pack argtek mode correct or I have to cut out some ...

The Argtek ones will simply screw off of the mounting studs(that are located in the original hole that DJI uses).Just take them off and put them in your case.
2016-8-18
Use props
darrenphillips1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 501913 ft
Australia

2.4 ghz 2w amp on drone with believe it or not 5.8 ghz 16dbi and 5.8 ghz 14dbi antennas replacing the internal 2.4 ghz small panel standard antennas
And 15dbi patch panel 5.8ghz with 2w 5.8amp booster on rc control
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
2016-8-20
Use props
darrenphillips1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 501913 ft
Australia

Over 1.5 km in CE mode and waiting for some better panel 2.4 ghz antennas for the rc
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
2016-8-20
Use props
fans26664188
New

United States

Hello all! I'm getting the argtek antenna kit in a couple days and I also ordered me a couple sunsans wifi boosters 2.4 ghz 2w. I should have researched more but didn't but my question is can I even use these 2.4 wifi boosters on an argtek kit?! I mean will I be able to hook these boosters up to an already installed mod? I also don't know if I'm supposed to hook both amps/boosters up to each panel and how to go about this. Do I just need to hook one booster up to one of either panels?  I've been searching and can't find an answer
  So once again what I'm trying to do is use the argtek antenna kit with a couple sunhans wifi boosters and I need to have some guidance on how to do this or if it's even possible. Thank you guys for listening to me I really appreciate it and I hope to hear from someone soon thanks
2016-11-3
Use props
TheHumanBurrito
lvl.1
Flight distance : 231742 ft

United States

Okay, I ripped my stock antenna out. I would like to get longer range for control and video. What should I get? I have read through this thread and it seems a little divided. Want to get very soon!
2016-12-22
Use props
Microcyb
Second Officer
United States

TheHumanBurrito Posted at 2016-12-22 12:46
Okay, I ripped my stock antenna out. I would like to get longer range for control and video. What should I get? I have read through this thread and it seems a little divided. Want to get very soon!

It is quite divided due to a few things.  NOTE: this does void your warrenty.
1. cost
2. ultimate range

With that said, if you need to go the cheapest route then the argtech or similar is the way to go.
If you do not care about the costs as much as the range, the the DBS mod is your choice..
Optopn 1
BlueProton DJI Phantom 3 Standard WiFi Signal
Goolsky Range Extender

Option 2
ITELITE ITE-DBS01
2016-12-28
Use props
Dead66
lvl.1

United States

Microcyb Posted at 2016-12-28 07:23
It is quite divided due to a few things.  NOTE: this does void your warrenty.
1. cost
2. ultimate range

I just bought a used Phantom 3 Pro. It came with an antenna that has two Suntans boosters that connect to two antenna that look like a dome shaped of wire. There is no battery included but it is set up for a 3s lipo.  Is the lipo in this case required? If not will the range without the lipo  be similar to the stock antenna ?

On these new ones you are suggesting, do they require an external lipo?

Thanks for your help !!!
2017-1-23
Use props
Microcyb
Second Officer
United States

Dead66 Posted at 2017-1-23 09:40
I just bought a used Phantom 3 Pro. It came with an antenna that has two Suntans boosters that connect to two antenna that look like a dome shaped of wire. There is no battery included but it is set up for a 3s lipo.  Is the lipo in this case required? If not will the range without the lipo  be similar to the stock antenna ?

On these new ones you are suggesting, do they require an external lipo?

Oh nice if you got two Suntans boosters.
This thread might help you.

http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... deo-cuts-out.44040/

2017-1-23
Use props
Dead66
lvl.1

United States

Microcyb Posted at 2017-1-23 10:30
Oh nice if you got two Suntans boosters.
This thread might help you.

Thanks,  I'll take a look,
2017-1-23
Use props
Dead66
lvl.1

United States

So I discovered that the antenna does work without the boosters plugged in.  I flew 1500' over a wooded area without even a blip. I did start to lose signal as I tried to land in somebody's yard below the trees....

Now I just need to figure out what is positive and negative on the battery input for the Sunhans so I can use my regular RC lipos and use the dual boosters I have!

2017-1-23
Use props
Dead66
lvl.1

United States

So Microcyb,
I got no response on the other thread. But I have learned a lot. I can take the amplifiers off and use just the antenna and get around 2000 or a little more feet out of it before losing HD connection (the GPS and the other radio signal seem to still be connected even when I lose HD....

I can also connect the amps up (I figured out how to do it) and get 4000 to 4500 ft before losing HD.  Again the other two signals appear to be solid even when the HD goes out.

Shouldn't I be able to get more rage than this?

Thanks,
Rob
2017-1-31
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules