Maximum Take Off Mass of Phantom 2 Vision +
5923 13 2015-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aeroglenltd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 337953 ft
United Kingdom

Can anyone clarify the MTOM of the  Phantom2 Vision + please.

Out of the  box, my machine weighs 1327Gms, I have currently added a set of DJI Prop guards which are quoted as 21 Gms per guard, that is 84gms per set ( plus a lttle for the twine ), thus my machine is currently weighing 1411gms.
However, the manual specifies a ( I assume basic  ) weight of 1242 gms which includes battery and propellers, however, as indicated above, mine at 1327 out of the box, exceeds this already and made worse by the prop guards ( soon to be removed ). The manual states a maximum payload of 1350gms, but how can this be when the aircraft out of the box  already exceeds the manual quoted figure by 85gms?

Normally, an aircraft will have a maximum take off mass specified by the manufacturer, subtract from this fuel etc and crew in the case of a manned a/c and you get a payload to work with. I am confused. Does this matter? Well yes it does as it is affecting performance, wear and tear etc. Battery power consumption ( quoted flight time per battery charge being 25Mins, realistically useable time is aboout 15 - 17 mins ) is high bearing in mind the recommendation that the machine should be landed at or about the 30% battery level. Clearly, 30% off the quoted 25 mins gives about 17.5 mins . A further reason for getting this right is that, for insurance purposes I am required to indicate the MTOM. Clearly, I am not able to quote one as the manufacturer has not made this clear in the manual.

So, have I missed something fundamental and can anyone explain please? Could DJI actually specify a maximum take off mass please?
Thks

2015-1-7
Use props
drone
lvl.4

United States

My Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 weights in at 1400g total weight. It has modified extended wide landing skids, spot lights (with switch and cabling) and it's been painted. It also has the DJI carbon reinforced props that weight in at 13g same as the ones that come with it. My flight time is 15 mins with the lights turned off, and about 13 with them on.  It had prop guards but they were  removed with the new skids were attached, I don't remember the out of the box weight but I know mine was higher than the listed spec.
2015-1-8
Use props
michael.haws
lvl.2

United States

The max weight will be a function of the total weight of your drone,  the type of motors / props that you have and the current density altitude.
2015-1-8
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

The former P2V+ was at max payload just by itself - at the most, you can use prop guards...

The newer V3.0 has a much larger max payload and so you can easily add 100-200 more grams to the entire system - of course, you should never add more than needed, but prop guards, a GPS tracker, etc. are fine.
DJI claims the new system gives "up to 200 grams extra per axis" of payload....which is not clear to me. Does that mean 400 grams extra (aircraft in 2 basic axis)?

I think the 200 grams TOTAL extra is a good place to figure it at.....as compared to the earlier same model.
2015-1-8
Use props
aeroglenltd
lvl.3
United Kingdom

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-1-9 05:08
The former P2V+ was at max payload just by itself - at the most, you can use prop guards...

The new ...

Thanks for your replies. Interesting about the V 3. I had not read that anywhere. However, to avoid confusion, it would certainly be useful if DJI stated a definitive MTOM. I take the point this can vary according to density altitude and aircraft fit but a figure quoted for sea level in a 'Standard Atmosphere' day - just like a normal aircraft would be a good starting point. I am still unsure what figure I need to put on an insurance proposal or licence application to the CAA.

THere remains the relevance of the figure quoted in the manual as to the weight of the machine, when the one taken out of the box already exceeds that. I think some amendments need to be written!

THanks for your inputs though gents,
2015-1-8
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.3

China

aeroglenltd@aol Posted at 2015-1-9 06:56
Thanks for your replies. Interesting about the V 3. I had not read that anywhere. However, to avoi ...

Hi,
for P2V+ V 3.0 (with new 2312 motor and ESC V2.1), combining prop guard is within the MTOM.
for P2V+ old version (with former power system), it is not recommend to install prop guard as the weight is reaching around the MTOM.
Your feedback is sent to the engineer, thanks for the suggestion.
2015-1-11
Use props
aeroglenltd
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Dboy Posted at 2015-1-12 13:52
Hi,
for P2V+ V 3.0 (with new 2312 motor and ESC V2.1), combining prop guard is within the MTOM.
for ...

HI Thanks for the comment and advice re the P2V.

However, you state that with the prop guards on the new version is below the MTOM. Please advise what this figure is as it is the basis of the original post and a figure I have been unable to obtain. Clearly, there is one and it is not the figure in the manual.

THanks
2015-1-12
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.3

China

aeroglenltd@aol Posted at 2015-1-12 16:09
HI Thanks for the comment and advice re the P2V.

However, you state that with the prop guards on  ...

Sorry I cannot post the exact testing figure before the official manual updating, but the request has submitted to the engineer already.
2015-1-12
Use props
aeroglenltd
lvl.3
United Kingdom

OK thank you, hopefully it will be a full update of all the specifications ( if required ). I appreciate your help and look forward to the update, hopefully this will be fairly soon.

Regards

Graham
2015-1-13
Use props
aeroglenltd
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Dboy Posted at 2015-1-13 10:14
Sorry I cannot post the exact testing figure before the official manual updating, but the request  ...

HI  Do you have any information yet as to when the requested information on the MTOM of the Phantom Vision + will be published? Surely they must have the information available.
Thanks
2015-3-3
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Over in Vietnam, when it was hot the Hueys were challenged at times due to weight.  The practice was if you could hover, you could fly.  I would use that standard with the Phantom.  It is not a great Weight and Balance practice, but it worked. Can you believe an old flight engineer would tell you that?
2015-3-3
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

oakspi Posted at 2015-3-3 23:19
Over in Vietnam, when it was hot the Hueys were challenged at times due to weight.  The practice was ...

The only difference is that real aircraft get lighter every minute as the fuel is burned - while the Phantom does not.

But I still think you have the basics right. If it hovers fairly reasonably, it can probably fly. Anyone who have flown a Phantom for a while gets a sense of whether the bird is "flying heavy" or not. When heavy it tends to sink a bit even when hovering until it's flight system respond and jack it up a bit. Sometimes you can hear it making more noise as the props bite through more air to keep it up.
2015-3-3
Use props
aeroglenltd
lvl.3
United Kingdom

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-3-4 00:49
The only difference is that real aircraft get lighter every minute as the fuel is burned - while t ...

No problems knowing the effects of weight on the machine,- i have 14000 hours flying helicopters, I would just like the manufacturers to come out with the proper figures rather than have the wrong one in the manual as per the earlier posts.
2015-3-3
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

oakspi Posted at 2015-3-3 23:19
Over in Vietnam, when it was hot the Hueys were challenged at times due to weight.  The practice was ...

I flew in those Hueys during the Viet Nam war. Not in Viet Nam but in North Dakota
2015-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules