Who is the manufacturer of the Phantom 4 sensor?
10279 45 2016-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

I think hiding this info is a mistake, granted not one that would be a deal breaker for me as long as the one I received was up to par.  Definitely doesn't help with people like "the DPI guy"  who already are convinced that DJI is shifting to inferior parts/sensors etc. in an effort to cut costs/maximize profits.  That said in my opinions DJI may be better off without that type of customer anyway.  You can't eliminate the user error factor entirely and the animosity that can wrongly be directed at the company in that case.  From skimming the forum topics here,  I genuinely believe that DJI is trying to operate in good faith,  has grown faster than anyone could have predicted, and is making improvements every day.  As someone who has been involved in various CE related industries over the years, I understand that defects happen (and incrementally increase as you increase complexity),  mistakes happen, and as long as a manufacturer is making a genuine attempt to do the right thing,  they are going to get the benefit of the doubt from me.

All of that aside,  for me the downside to keeping this info hidden,  is far greater than any upside.  The only place I could see an issue coming from is someone like GoPro pressuring Sony to not let their competitors advertise that they use the same sensor.  This is all a moot point for now......until a competitor offers similar functionality at a similar price with more transparency on the sourcing of key parts,  Once/If that happens I would imagine this policy would/will be revisited.
2016-3-8
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

Also,  I don't know where their source of info is,  but this review states that it is the same sensor as a P3P with an upgraded lens:

http://www.dronethusiast.com/dji ... s-you-want-to-know/
2016-3-8
Use props
Sebb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Germany

ryan209 Posted at 2016-3-8 21:13
Also,  I don't know where their source of info is,  but this review states that it is the same senso ...

I ve tried to read up on it, and from what I could find, that cannot be the case.

P3P uses Sony IMX117 which cannot do 1080p@120fps.

Some suggest P4 might be IMX377, which is also used in Nexus 6P and Gopro Hero4black. The latter maybe being the reason why they dont advertise it.
2016-3-11
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

Sebb Posted at 2016-3-11 03:38
I ve tried to read up on it, and from what I could find, that cannot be the case.

P3P uses Sony IM ...

That makes sense..... Thanks for the info!!!
2016-3-11
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

ryan209 Posted at 2016-3-8 20:10
...people like "the DPI guy...

PMSL!

2016-3-11
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

I went looking for that thread to see whatever happened with that guy (admittedly for my own entertainment) and it appears they have disappeared
2016-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules