20411 226 2016-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

This update procedure is a complete mess !!!
Hope this will be easier with the still missing Assistant app
2016-3-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ulysse Posted at 2016-3-16 04:10
This update procedure is a complete mess !!!
Hope this will be easier with the still missing Assista ...

What trouble are you having with the update?
2016-3-15
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

It seems Allen Lew have a big problem updating his bird.
I was able to update mine but had to search how to perform it. Seems the RC has to be turned ON ?
The unplug -replug is also very strange.
2016-3-15
Use props
JayB07
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73750 ft
United States

Motch Posted at 2016-3-15 15:30
THIS!

I (currently) have a P3A that I fly with PG's when in an area where there may be people aro ...

thanks. thought I was the only one questioning the logic behind that. There must be some reason they coded that..
2016-3-15
Use props
derekoneill99
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-15 18:08
Try deleting the app and then reinstalling, and starting over.
This time when it gets to 99% and as ...

Please put a video up , it just might help people out
2016-3-15
Use props
Robertjfranklin
lvl.2

United States

Awesome! Looking forward to additional updates.
2016-3-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Motch Posted at 2016-3-16 06:30
THIS!

I (currently) have a P3A that I fly with PG's when in an area where there may be people aro ...

It is most likely because the obstacle avoidance cameras see the prop guards and false trigger.
2016-3-15
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

grangerfx@gmail Posted at 2016-3-16 00:06
Read the CSC thread. People were breaking their drones by doing it accidentally while flying. With  ...

Honestly i think people need to think before posting.
Sorry but you would be a complete idiot to hold the sticks down and inside to cause the motors to stop.
I don't care how aggressive you fly i feel this feat to be almost impossible to pull off and if anyone did this perhaps they should not be flying anything.
Pretty sad that DJI would have to update this for the few fools that claim it happened to them.
2016-3-15
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

ArtistFirst Posted at 2016-3-15 22:17
So your logic is don't make changes for people that deserve it?? Lol.

A large group of people hav ...

Real photography would not have you pushing the sticks that far into the corners so this change is not for people that deserve it.
2016-3-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-16 07:32
It is most likely because the obstacle avoidance cameras see the prop guards and false trigger.

That's what I think too.
2016-3-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Motch Posted at 2016-3-16 03:30
THIS!

I think it's because they are in the way of the sensors and then they cannot operate correctly.
2016-3-15
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Need help.

I was able to update the RC from DJI GO app, but then it indicates "Aircraft requires update. Download from DJI GO Homepage."

This was not straightforward, but I eventually figured out that to download the new aircraft firmware I had to restart the DJI GO app and a New Firmware message appeared on the main screen where the P4 Aircraft picture is displayed.

PROBLEM: I have attached an Apple Lightning to USB cable to my IPad and attached the full-size USB to micro USB adapter cable to the USB end of the Lightning cable and plugged the microUSB plug into the port on the side of the P4 aircraft as shown in the diagram on the iPad screen.  But the screen still says "Aircraft Not Connected".  I tried power cycling the P4, but still says Aircraft is not connected.

This is COMPLETELY different firmware upgrade procedure from P3 and Inspire 1 I own, and I need some help getting it to work.

QUESTION:  How do I successfully complete the P4 aircraft firmware update? Detailed instructions, please.

QUESTION: should I calibrate the IMUs after the firmware update and, if so, does the P4 need to be chilled before doing an IMU calibration like the P3Pro did, or did DJI fix that issue?

2016-3-15
Use props
dfairchild
lvl.1

United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-3-15 19:34
Need help.

I was able to update the RC from DJI GO app, but then it indicates "Aircraft requires up ...

I have the exact same issue. Ive tried deleting the app, turning everything off, re-downloading app, turn everything on, connect cables......

same story through multiple cycles. Ive been using ipad air 2, iphone 6 and ipad mini 4. I also tried some of my own usb cables. no change in results.

Im not happy with the tolerances on the USB interfaces, cheap IMO
2016-3-15
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-3-16 09:34
Need help.

I was able to update the RC from DJI GO app, but then it indicates "Aircraft requires up ...

1. Turn on the aircraft and remote controller, connect to the latest DJI GO
2. Download the firmware in the DJI GO app.
3. Connect the mobile device and the aircraft using the OTG cable plus a USB cable. Insert the OTG cable side to the aircraft.
4. Start the upgrade in the app.
2016-3-15
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Allen Lew SG Posted at 2016-3-16 02:01
did you see my pictures? this is what happened. my ipad shows gabbage...  how do u update firmware ...

Hi, could you please export the LOG file in the app by iTOOLS. It's abnormal that you get a 199% hint. We need to analyse the log file to locate the problem. Then try to reinstall the app and upgrade again.
2016-3-15
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft

Visual Air Posted at 2016-3-16 08:06
Honestly i think people need to think before posting.
Sorry but you would be a complete idiot to h ...

Why are people so friggen nasty. First of all, I have never accidently done it but I am constantly worried because I suffer from General Anxiety Disorder and minor OCD so I worry about it. What's the difference to you in your life?

You think you would have to be an idiot to do a shot where you are descending and also backing up? That's not at all aggressive but it's a videographers type shot and if you would drift, you could accidently CSC AND PEOPLE DO!

So before you go calling people idiots, why don't you. Just not.
2016-3-15
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft

Visual Air Posted at 2016-3-16 08:26
Real photography would not have you pushing the sticks that far into the corners so this change is ...

Obviously if someone did it it would be an accident! Don't people understand it's the concern. This isn't a presidential election.

Why is this stupid topic so debatable. Lives people, go live them.
2016-3-15
Use props
4StateFlyer
lvl.2

United States

Any chance of a video of this being done?   Would love to see process from start to finish in  a video with detailed instructions.

So the bird get's a update.  Is it also updateing the remote controller to?
2016-3-15
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-3-15 20:34
Need help.

OK - I figured it out.  This is the procedure that worked for me. Detailed firmware update instructions really should be included in the box on a single sheet of paper.  I own a Phantom 3 Pro and an Inspire, but the firmware update procedure for P4 is COMPLETELY different.

1. Connect iPad to RC using an Apple-certified USB-Lightning cable.
2. Power on RC - iPad automatically turns on (that's new)
3. Start DJI GO app
4. Power on P4
5. On main screen of DJI GO app - the one where the P4 picture is displayed, you should get a message that a firmware update is available. (Note: If you enter the DJI GO app and go to Camera screen, you will also get a message that a firmware update is needed, BUT you cannot update firmware from this screen or by tapping on the message.  Instead, go BACK to the main screen with P4 picture.)
6. Tap on the DOWNLOAD icon at bottom of screen.  Firmware took 7-8 minutes to download even though I have 30-50 kbps high-speed Internet service, so BE PATIENT. If download pauses, just tap RESUME DOWNLOAD.
7. When firmware download completes, DJI GO app will instruct you to connect cable to P4 aircraft using adapter cable.  OK this is a little complicated. Here's what I did that worked.
8. Leave P4 and RC powered ON.
9. Disconnect full-size USB connector from the back of the RC leaving Apple Lightning cable attached to iPad.
10. Plug USB connector into DJI-provided adapter cable that has a female USB connector on one end and a micro-USB male connector at the other end of 4-inch cable.
11. Plug micro-USB connector into micro-USB port next to microSD slot on the side of the P4. Do NOT turn off the RC!  (NOTE: The first two attempts, I turned the RC off and the firmware update failed to proceed.) So, now your iPad or iPhone will be directly connected by USB cable to the P4 (the RC is now connected only wirelessly to the P4).
12. If you are lucky like I was, the firmware update will start within 15 seconds of plugging micro USB cable into P4.
12. P4 firmware update progress will be displayed as a percentage at bottom of DJI GO app screen.
13. When firmware update completes, you will be instructed to disconnect and then reconnect USB cable to update the firmware upgrade status. (Note: I disconnected the micro USB cable from the P4 and plugged it back in.)
14. DJI GO app should now display message indicating update is COMPLETE and instructs you to reconnect RC.
15. Leaving RC and P4 turned ON, I disconnected the cable from the P4, disconnected the 4-in USB adapter cable, and plugged the USB connector back into the full-size USB connector on the back of the RC. (Note: iPad or iPhone is now cabled directly to the RC (normal cable configuration).
16. I clicked on CAMERA on DJI GO app screen and this brought up the live video screen from the P4.  At this point, you can power everything off and back on again, if you wish.
17. No more "firmware update required", but now I got a message indicating COMPASS ERROR, so I took P4 outside and performed COMPASS CALIBRATION.
18. Powered OFF P4, RC and iPad.
19. Powered ON RC (iPad turned on by itself) and restarted DJI GO app.
20. Powered on P4 - after a minute or so DJI GO app indicates aircraft is connected.
21. Press CAMERA icon on DJI GO main app screen and camera screen with live video image from P4 is displayed.
22. BE SURE TO GO THROUGH EVERY MENU AND SET ALL OPTIONS TO YOUR PREFERRED SETTINGS INCLUDING:
     - Set Return to Home Altitude
     - Imperial vs. Metric Units of Measure
     - Camera Photo and Video settings
     - Enable Hardware Decoding
     - Enable Multiple Flight Mode
     - Set Maximum Flight Altitude (20-500M)
     - Smart Go Home (ON or OFF)
     - Set new Visual Navigation System Settings

I hope this helps others that might be struggling with first P4 firmware update.

- Dave
2016-3-15
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

ArtistFirst Posted at 2016-3-16 11:05
Why are people so friggen nasty. First of all, I have never accidently done it but I am constantly ...

Ok well think about this for a minute , if you pull the right stick in and to the bottom the aircraft will bank backwards and hard  and at the exact same time with the left stick in and to the bottom or down is going to make the craft piroette and descend rapidly....... Are you saying you may actually pull this manouver off when taking great 4K footage???? If so the results likely will be crap obviously.
Listen not trying to argue with you just stating the obvious and i am sure many other seasoned quadcopter flyers and RC heli pilots would agree unless your doing 3D aerobatics the likely hood of you pulling the sticks into this position flying a quad are slim to none.
Has nothing to do with being nasty Sorry you took it that way......
Would this is your first RC aircraft?
2016-3-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-3-16 11:14
OK - I figured it out.  This is the procedure that worked for me. Detailed firmware update instruc ...

Thanks for the detailed instructions, I know we are all used to the BIN file update and this way will be way easier for new users and current users as well.
DJI videos should be up son and that will help too.
Thanks again for the hard work.
2016-3-15
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-15 23:03
Thanks for the detailed instructions, I know we are all used to the BIN file update and this way w ...

Ken,

You're welcome.  The RC update was a breeze from the DJI Go app, but the new iPad to P4 cable connection routine to update the P4 firmware stumped me for a while.

By the way, I took my inaugural flight this evening - in nearly complete darkness - in my back yard and everything went well.  Rose straight up to 200 feet and did a 360 panorama of night time street and business lights in the surrounding neighborhood.  Beautiful!  I was very impressed with how stable the hover was with the P4 4 feet off the ground - better than my P3Pro - and the obstacle sensors picked up the wall of my home 17 feet away in very low lighting. When I flew it towards me slowly - it also sensed me even though I was barely visible in the live video.  Exceeded my expectations.  Horizon was perfectly level - so far - so I am NOT going to perform an IMU calibration at this time.

I look forward to my first thorough check-out run in daylight at my nearby model aircraft park after work tomorrow.
2016-3-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-3-16 12:18
Ken,

You're welcome.  The RC update was a breeze from the DJI Go app, but the new iPad to P4 cabl ...

Glad you are all up and running.
Although I do an IMU calibration on any aircraft after updating firmware, but to each its own.
The obstacle avoidance is really cool, just don't rely on it to help you in every situation. Even though it preformed better then expected, it does have it's limitations as stated in the manual.
I'm glad you like, and how about that nice melody on startup
2016-3-15
Use props
Richard in Bois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34721 ft
  • >>>
United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-3-16 11:14
OK - I figured it out.  This is the procedure that worked for me. Detailed firmware update instruc ...

Can anyone spell Rube Goldberg....  Only a software engineer that does not use the product would come up with a procedure like this.
2016-3-15
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

Richard in Bois Posted at 2016-3-16 05:47
Can anyone spell Rube Goldberg....  Only a software engineer that does not use the product would co ...

That's exactly my point of view !
2016-3-15
Use props
Motch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44213 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-15 17:38
I think it's because they are in the way of the sensors and then they cannot operate correctly.

Well.. it's a matter of doing coding and possible putting something on the PG's that the camera's can recognize and then disregard.
At the end of the day, this is something that engineers should have been thinking about when they designed the thing!
Hopefully, an update will fix this issue.

and what about this-
Can you still install PG's in the rear while not affecting the flying characteristics?

Motch
2016-3-16
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Talk about confusing people with the new firmware process, DJI you really need a video explaining to people the best procedure yo follow
2016-3-16
Use props
fredz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6322290 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Seems they pulled the update? My DJI Go (iOS 2.7.1) doesn't show it at all and I am still at 170...
2016-3-16
Use props
fraggdya
lvl.2

United Kingdom

fredz Posted at 2016-3-16 11:09
Seems they pulled the update? My DJI Go (iOS 2.7.1) doesn't show it at all and I am still at 170...

Me too.

DJI Go: 2.7.1
Aircraft: 01.00.0170
RC: Version Unknown
2016-3-16
Use props
Mdjgcl
lvl.1
United States

I can't get the phantom firmware to update at all.  I keep getting bounced out in the app.  Controller update worked fine last night.  Have they pulled the update?
2016-3-16
Use props
fredz
lvl.2
  • >>>
Belgium

Seems like it... But DJI Assistant for Windows has arrived, so maybe it's there...
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-4/info#downloads
2016-3-16
Use props
fraggdya
lvl.2

United Kingdom

fredz Posted at 2016-3-16 13:35
Seems like it... But DJI Assistant for Windows has arrived, so maybe it's there...
http://www.dji.co ...

Got mine upgraded with the assistant
2016-3-16
Use props
fredz
lvl.2
  • >>>
Belgium

Mine just sits there at 0% while downloading with the DJI Assistant...Works now ;-)
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Motch Posted at 2016-3-16 16:20
Well.. it's a matter of doing coding and possible putting something on the PG's that the camera's  ...

Since I have not seen PG's from the P4 yet, I cannot comment on that.
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fredz Posted at 2016-3-16 19:09

There was an app update and if 2.7.1 is the correct latest app update.
And the aircraft should be 01.00.0288
And the RC 1.5.80
And I see your from Luxembourg, my parents used to live in Nospelt, beautiful country.
2016-3-16
Use props
brian.bradac
lvl.2
Flight distance : 157477 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-16 10:16
There was an app update and if 2.7.1 is the correct latest app update.
And the aircraft should be  ...

Ken did DJI pull the .0288 update?  I was unable to update the download just sat at 0% earlier this morning and now it doesn't show any update available.  Also is the DJI Assistant 2 software coming for the mac as well?
2016-3-16
Use props
fredz
lvl.2
  • >>>
Belgium

Got 288 using the Assistant, DJI-Ken. Thanks.
However, where is the Flight Recorder mode gone in the DJI Go app? In the manual it says it should be there, but I cannot find. Only DJI Assistant seems to have the DATs.

To access these data, connect the aircraft to the PC through Micro-USB and launch the DJI GO app (page 23).
Is it an error?
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Mdjgcl@gmail.co Posted at 2016-3-16 21:33
I can't get the phantom firmware to update at all.  I keep getting bounced out in the app.  Controll ...

Are you still unable to update? If so, please explain in detail where the update is failing at.
2016-3-16
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

fredz Posted at 2016-3-16 14:50
Mine just sits there at 0% while downloading with the DJI Assistant...Works now ;-)

Out of topic but can you tell me more about drone law in Luxembourg ?
2016-3-16
Use props
WetDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-3-15 19:14

Holy Flying Spaghetti Monster ...

That's more obtuse than the P3.  Certainly that can't be correct?  I thought DJI was pitching this to the Technically Declined, err, typical Apple customer.  You don't do this to iPad owners.  Hell, this would flummox half the genius bar.

Surely, you've added a few extra steps somewhere?  Sure you didn't just inadvertently root the thing?
2016-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules