Communication with Senior DJI VP regarding P4 Issues
11654 234 2016-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

from the apple god himself:

Consider what Steve Jobs said at Apple’s hastily-assembled iPhone 4 antenna press conference.

We heard about [reception problems] 22 days ago and have been working our butts off. It’s not like we’ve had our heads in the sand for three months.

And here’s what he told All Things D’s Ina Fried on Wednesday:

We’re an engineering-driven company… When people accuse us of things, the first thing we want to do is find out the truth. That took a certain amount of time to track all of these things down. And the accusations were coming day by day. By the time we had figured this all out, it took a few days. Then writing it up and trying to make it intelligible when this is a very high-tech topic took a few days. And here we are less than a week later.
2016-3-23
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

That is the policy of an Industry leader, and by all accounts the most succesful consumer electronics company in history. Yet a young company in an emerging technology should be held to a higher expectation? Or you do not agree with your own company's course of action in matters like this?
2016-3-23
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

ryan209 Posted at 2016-3-23 14:44
That is the policy of an Industry leader, and by all accounts the most succesful consumer electronic ...

Ryan I get where you are coming from but let's not make this about Apple. There are plenty of places for you to vent about your feelings for the company. Let's try to stay on topic. I for one would really like to understand what is going on with the range issue. I am still open to the idea that we need to adjust settings in the app or point the antennas correctly to get similar range to the P3. Except for this one issue (which I have not experienced because I don't own a P3 nor have I had the chance to test the range without obstructions) the Phantom 4 is one of the best products I have ever purchased. My level of satisfaction is right up there with Apple's products. That's why I would like DJI to resolve the issue properly.
2016-3-23
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

grangerfx@gmail Posted at 2016-3-24 05:51
Ryan I get where you are coming from but let's not make this about Apple. There are plenty of plac ...

I understand GrangerFX I just believe the comparison applies especially because This guy is supposedly an apple exec.   Again these issues need to be addressed but I don't believe the OP's stance is an entirely reasonable one.  That I can even understand as an expensive product not working exactly how you want can be frustrating, I really do have empathy for that.  But it's only been a week,  I can only go off my experience with the P3P but I do believe that DJI works to address issues like this as soon as possible.  They really have no incentive to be intentionally deceptive/unresponsive this early in the game for such a growing technology.  I'm simply interested because I want to buy a P4,  and these issues are important to how I would use one.  That said,  I know that it's not unusually for a cutting edge CE product to have bugs on first release,   in fact that is the only reason I have held off.   If you want to be an early adopter of a just released product in an emerging industry,   you have to be able to stomach some hiccups otherwise, be like me, wait a few months for the bugs to be worked out (and probably the price to drop a little)  and enjoy a more refined experience.   In many cases I choose to be the early adopter in this case its worth it in my situation to wait.

That said Its only been one week.  Try to be a little patient and I would bet that DJI addresses these concerns satisfactorily.  I would bet my paycheck that there are folks testing/trying to replicate these issues as we speak,  but why make a statement when you aren't even 100% sure what the issue is or what is causing it.  You've got at least 30 days insurance in the form of being able to return the item so if it were me,  I would give them that time to offer a resolution, and after that return it.  Where you spend or don't spend your money speaks louder than any forum post
2016-3-23
Use props
DroneSpeed
Ban Posts

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-23
Use props
Sundance Kid
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1207 ft
United States

ryan209 Posted at 2016-3-23 16:13
An issue*. Again phantom 4 was release 8 days ago.  Should I start listing all the issues with apple ...

"WiFried"? Took about a year! Funny that Apple doesn't like it when someone else doesn't "belly up to the bar"!
2016-3-23
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

Well I've added my 40 cents,  I really hope you guys get your issues sorted out so you can enjoy your p4's.  I'll be following this issue and resolution closely and try to enjoy my P3P as best as I can till they are sorted out
2016-3-23
Use props
a.freed.outlook
lvl.1
Flight distance : 930827 ft

I fly in my neighborhood all the time. I have not noticed a difference in range in my P3P vs. my P4.
2016-3-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DroneSpeed Posted at 2016-3-24 08:31
What I do think DJI will accept with a bitter taste is a big article in a major website revealing th ...

If you really do work for Apple, which I seriously doubt, I should think Apple would kick your sorry arse out the door for mis-representation, and airing these subjects in public on a forum. You are not looking for a solution, but to intentionally embarrass DJI. Apple would not tackle a problem like this on a public forum, so it is certain you are not acting officially for them.

What ever the issues are, any reasonable person would give DJI some room to correct the problems, it is after all a new product and reasonable people would expect there to be some issues to attend to. You simply stir up the lynch mob mentality that forums are known for.

I also note you are new, so I have to wonder who you are actually representing, because your whole approach is highly suspect.

2016-3-23
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-24 06:56
If you really do work for Apple, which I seriously doubt, I should think Apple would kick your sor ...

The voice of reason from down under has arrived!!
2016-3-23
Use props
Rodomontade
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2563022 ft

ryan209 Posted at 2016-3-24 04:26
I do understand that it is not a linear equation but while you state professionals have tested these ...

What don't you get dude? The FCC report says it all. C'mon man it's common sense. I get so sick of the "prove it to me" crap on here. Keep drinking the DJI Kool Aid!
2016-3-23
Use props
DroneSpeed
Ban Posts

United States

2016-3-23
Use props
frank
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36683 ft
Norway

Rodomontade Posted at 2016-3-24 00:24
What don't you get dude? The FCC report says it all. C'mon man it's common sense. I get so sick of  ...

No it does not say it all. 20% less is "nothing" and should not mean a 50% reduction that everyone is claiming. Remember that the CE version has 75%(!!!) less power than the FCC version and still the range is 3.1km vs 5km on fcc so it's not even half the range with 75% lower rf power. To reduce the range by 50% you need to reduce rf power with 2/3 theoretically but as you can see on CE/FCC its more then half with over 2/3 reduction.

I suspect (and hope) that this is a firmware bug or something like that. Or even better that it's related to antenna polarization since the p4 in sport mode will be more out than the p3. I haven't tested my p4 yet but will do some light testing tomorrow
2016-3-23
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

@DroneSpeed, I sent you an email.  If you would please be kind enough to respond.  Thank you.
2016-3-23
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

DroneSpeed Posted at 2016-3-23 14:59
Of course I have forwarded this to DJI's Senior Management. I have heard nothing in response.  Now  ...

I guess what ever your job/position/title is precludes you from having a public opinion about YOUR product in someone's mind.

I think you have been reported...lol

Sad really!

good luck and have fun flying!

2016-3-23
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

Orange5ive Posted at 2016-3-23 15:41
I'm calling BS on you being an Apple Executive, I have never known Apple wash their dirty linen in p ...

he never said he was apple.

TAHOE ED said he was and appears to know him!

but then, I read the posts
2016-3-23
Use props
185EZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 396470 ft
United States

I actually read through most of this
Kind of interesting
I left phantom pilot's forum since this thread would have been closed and posts deleted and admin would "follow" you for such comments.
Kudos to the mods for keeping this for everyone to read
2016-3-23
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

DroneSpeed Posted at 2016-3-23 19:30
I stated prior that I am speaking for myself here, NOT on behalf of Apple. "Some issues" should not  ...

Hi Dronespeed.

Now you will no longer be working at Apple (I Hope you read both your Apple executives employment agreement and Apples  business conduct guidelines and Apples social network guidelines in relation to negative public statements that directly impact Apple or Apples revenue. Also I am sure you read the T&C's of this forum before you posted about your privacy information),  could you please put a good word in for me as  I would like an executive job at apple and I promise not to disrespect DJI's or Apples products.
2016-3-23
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

DroneSpeed Posted at 2016-3-23 14:59
Of course I have forwarded this to DJI's Senior Management. I have heard nothing in response.  Now  ...

you missed the 20% reduction in onboard aircraft xmit power as well.
that would not help either!
2016-3-23
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-3-23 20:50
he never said he was apple.

TAHOE ED said he was and appears to know him!

Yes he did

"As an Apple executive, I can tell you that we have had a significant number of returns of the product with this same complaint, as well as the other issue I bring up now:"
2016-3-23
Use props
waynepj3
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Boy are you guys missing the point. It is not about whether or not he is an Apple Executive. It's frustration with an expensive luxury product that isn't as it was advertised. We all hoped for longer range, more stability, faster speeds etc.

The P4 is great in some areas yet weaker than previous models in others which is unfathomable.
2016-3-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

waynepj3@gmail. Posted at 2016-3-24 12:49
Boy are you guys missing the point. It is not about whether or not he is an Apple Executive. It's fr ...

Actually, he made it into more than that by simply lying about his connection with Apple in a stupid attempt to raise the issue to a higher level.
2016-3-23
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-23 19:13
Actually, he made it into more than that by simply lying about his connection with Apple in a stup ...

Which worked. I am more sad that it took this to get DJI to respond at all beyond a pat denial. I would really love for this to be much ado about nothing. I don't want this hanging over me. I need the same kind of range I was seeing with the original P3 Pro videos for where I plan to fly (the desolate empty spaces of Nevada).
In more positive news, I now have eight flights with my Phantom 4. In each the drone flew absolutely perfectly. I am flying near my home which is mostly rural. There are a lot of trees and terrain variation so it is hard to really test the range. It certainly seems a lot better than it ever was with my Phantom 2 Vision+ but that's not saying much. The P3 Pro knocked my socks of with its range when I watched the YouTube videos. I envied that feature more than any other but held off buying until DJI released its next drone. It was certainly worth the wait.
2016-3-23
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Austria

I have been flying my phantom 4 and phantom 3 advanced back to back this  week. There hasn't been one single flight where the phantom 4 had the same range as the phantom 3. I tried everything to no avail. I even had blackouts at 800 meters. Something I've never experienced before on the 3 advanced. That bird, CE spec and all, always delivered me a solid, consistent FPV at 2 kilometers minimum. The only time I got last 1.5 with the phantom 4 it was with little blackouts all the way from 1 kilometer. There are no ifs ands or buts about it, the lightbridge in the phantom 4 does not have the same capabilities of the 3 advanced and professional. Even though it costs double and DJI quoted the same specs.
2016-3-23
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
United States

edbighi@gmail.c Posted at 2016-3-23 19:30
I have been flying my phantom 4 and phantom 3 advanced back to back this  week. There hasn't been on ...

I am not sure if I have experienced these types of blackouts. I just flew 1.2KM. The video was solid at the far end of the range but I got down to three bars of controller strength. I got some red weak signal notifications in the app. I likely was looking through some trees that far away. I am planning a long range flight hilltop to hilltop this weekend using the full battery. Then I will have some kind of idea as to the range.
2016-3-23
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

Yeah the red warnings. I'd get them once in a while on the phantom 3. Phantom 4? Throughout the flight.
2016-3-23
Use props
jim.sandevices
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1146388 ft
United States

Rodomontade Posted at 2016-3-23 19:24
What don't you get dude? The FCC report says it all. C'mon man it's common sense. I get so sick of  ...

The FCC document certainly doesn't say it all.  There are at least 4 factors that determine range.  Transmit power, transmit antenna gain, receive antenna gain, and receiver sensitivity.

If the only thing that's changed is transmit power being decreased by 20%, that would (theoretically) decrease range by about 10%.

2016-3-23
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
United States

edbighi@gmail.c Posted at 2016-3-23 20:01
Yeah the red warnings. I'd get them once in a while on the phantom 3. Phantom 4? Throughout the flig ...

I am definitely not getting red warnings throughout the flight. Any chance you have strong interference near you (like lots of WiFi or power lines)? Try the suggestion of picking a different frequency and see if it makes any difference. If not then your drone may have some other problem. Try it away from the city.
2016-3-23
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

DroneSpeed, I can see your point and understand how your feeling but what exactly are you trying to accomplish on here?   your calling everyone at DJI out,  dragging around apple's service and comparing to DJI products(if you haven't noticed one of them fits in your pocket, and the other FLIES)      

Your also Trashing and lashing out at ever and all responses you get, yet DEMANDING reinsurance that your concerns are being addressed.   if i worked for DJI i know i would ignore you and take any and all of your bitterness thru-out this whole pissing contest (which you seem to be the only one entered) with a grain of salt.   You do make valid points but you really need to work on your people skills,  work with people not just bash and trash because you didn't receive.....    damn i totally drew a blank here for honestly 5 minutes because i have no idea what your trying to accomplish with any you wrote other than your first post.   which was totally over shadowed by each and every other abrasive, negative, and down right nasty replies you posted calling everyone out you can think of.   

either your just trolling for attention or you need to get a hobby other than complaining about DJI.   and while your at it, be 20% cooler!  (I have a daughter so shut it)

2016-3-23
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
United States

Some P4 owners are getting good range from them, similar to a Phantom 3 Pro. They are mostly flying over water where there is little interference.  I am still hopeful that this issue will be some setting or issue with only a few P4s which can be repaired. The 20% power reduction may not be an issue if the antennas or receivers were upgraded. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
2016-3-23
Use props
boxerman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

DroneSpeed Posted at 2016-3-24 07:30
I stated prior that I am speaking for myself here, NOT on behalf of Apple. "Some issues" should not  ...

Ok, this is exasperating....  Here's my thoughts:  Drone-whatever-apple-exec:  You're upset.  YOU are mad about something that just isn't perfect with the release of a new DJI Phantom.  You act like the world should just stop.  I am a paying customer and the P4 is my third Phantom.  There is a history here and it is being blazed way out front by DJI - my hat is off to them and as an engineer I can appreciate all that they are accomplishing and from my (and many others) experiences with the ups and downs of the Phantom development - I accept all of it.  If you want all this photographic drone thing to work perfectly and make you a happy smiling little person - you're gonna have to wait until us level headed grown ups pay our money and learn and grow with this new frontier.  You'll know when it's time.  That really goes for anyone who pays their last cent to get one of these - IT'S NOT A TOY AND IT'S NOT PERFECT.

You're widdle feewings got hurt.  And YOU are mad that everybody everywhere isn't jumping immediately to make you happy again.  Here's the thing - I don't give a crap about you being so upset.  I could not care less, because honestly, going on about percentages in FCC filings and all these vapor test results you blather on about in a forum doesn't do anything but shine a big light on your inability to communicate - to the right people and with the correct detailed information.  You might work somewhere in Apple, but you're no executive.  No way you're an engineer.

Out.
2016-3-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

boxerman Posted at 2016-3-24 18:57
Ok, this is exasperating....  Here's my thoughts:  Drone-whatever-apple-exec:  You're upset.  YOU  ...

Bravo......
2016-3-24
Use props
frank
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36683 ft
Norway

jim.sandevices Posted at 2016-3-24 04:47
The FCC document certainly doesn't say it all.  There are at least 4 factors that determine range. ...

I tried to point this out earlier as well but he's not interested in listening to things that doesn't add up to his theory. Anyways this is also just a difference from early p3p to p4. I believe that late p3p and p4 has identical numbers (do double check this tho)..

Not saying that anything isn't wrong just saying that this FCC number isn't most likely the reason for short range.
2016-3-24
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

frank@lokalhost Posted at 2016-3-24 02:38
I tried to point this out earlier as well but he's not interested in listening to things that does ...

FCC numbers for the Advanced/Pro:

https://fccid.io/SS3-WM3221503

FCC numbers for the P4:

https://fccid.io/SS3-WM3301512
2016-3-24
Use props
GadgetGuy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24150600 ft
  • >>>
United States

Actually, the P3P FCC ID# is  https://fccid.io/SS3-WM3231503
which proves that the P3P's power output of .746  watts is even 3% higher than that of the the P3A, which is .729 watts, while the P4 comes in at a paltry .598 watts!
2016-3-24
Use props
Airwolf
New

Australia

So funny to see the ones going after the messenger, all sorts of put downs and belittling statements but all completely ignoring the fact that many people are having trouble with the P4 range. Maybe they are feeling personally injured when someone criticises the P4 and takes it to heart as if someone is picking on their choice of purchase? Grow up.
2016-3-24
Use props
DroneSpeed
Ban Posts

United States

2016-3-24
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

Whatever is near me at any time of the day, is also there when I do a back to back flight with a phantom 3 and phantom 4. That is the point lost on many people and folks connected with DJI. Or maybe they are pretending to miss the point. Whatever I do to increase range in the phantom 4, would also apply to my phantom 3 advanced and hence, it always turns out far, far better range. It is what it is. The lightbridge in the phantom 4 produces drastically inferior results compared to the phantom 3 which has already put DJI in their standard ignore and deny mode. For something that costs twice the money, this isn't right. And especially when the advertising leads one to believe that one would get the same results, given local conditions which, again, affect both craft equally. And if they craft are not affected equally, then why? My flight below was made yesterday. The distances during the filming occur between 900-1200 meters. A distance that is a cakewalk for my phantom 3 advanced. With the advanced I can proceed 2 kilometers deep into that valley. With the phantom 4, in spite of having paid 1600 euros with the expectation of same or close to the same range as my phantom 3, I cannot proceed any further. I did not spend this money to take a downgrade step in my flying. "Oh, it's a camera platform" whatever. The phantom 3 allowed me to do what I wanted and the phantom 4, marketed as having the same range capability, something that DJI maintains even in writing here, cannot. Not my phantom 4. Am I happy? No. Am I supposed to, in the same flying areas, restrict myself to the limitations I had during my phantom 2 vision plus days? And for 1600 euros? DJI is being disingenuous to say the least.

2016-3-24
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

grangerfx@gmail Posted at 2016-3-24 08:07
Some P4 owners are getting good range from them, similar to a Phantom 3 Pro. They are mostly flying  ...

I'm not upgrading a thing. I bought was I understood was a craft with the same range as my phantom 3 advanced. Right now, in spite of liking the phantom 4, it cannot go where my bone stock phantom 3 can go. And no, I do not want some unsightly cluster @#$% of an antenna on my controller. I didn't need to for the phantom 3, hence I should not need it on the 4. I am not liking this one bit. This smells like crackgate denial and ignorance all over again.
2016-3-24
Use props
kjmarsola
lvl.3
United States

edbighi@gmail.c Posted at 2016-3-24 08:54
Whatever is near me at any time of the day, is also there when I do a back to back flight with a pha ...

The props are visible in this video.
What is your experience with the props getting in the view, with the  P3 and with the  P4.
2016-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules