1234Next >
34515 144 2015-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

phil@speware.co Posted at 2015-1-18 03:15
I wanted to share my fly away experience. This was my first flight. I chose to fly in what I thought ...

Did you calibrate your compass from that take off point?  That looks like building foundations which will be full of steel reinforcing and will stuff up your settings big time.  

I learned this by taking off from a cricket pitch that was artificial turf over reinforced concrete with a vision 2+ and had a wild and unpredictable flight path until recalibrating on grass.  Just a thought.
Cheers! Rod
2015-1-17
Use props
BInspireD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 205955 ft
Netherlands

lrwskyfilms Posted at 2015-1-17 06:58
ACC MOD's should be 1.00 +/- 0.01 and compass 1400-1500.

Thanks for your info!
2015-1-18
Use props
BInspireD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 205955 ft
Netherlands

Just to bring some good news. I made my first flight yesterday with the latest firmware and the Inspire flew like expected, and way faster than that! Wow, what an amazing device! We had a Phantom2 and Inspire in the air at the same time and the Phantom was completely lost when throtteling the Inspire. The Phantom suddenly felt like a toy...

I landed it safely with 31% battery after 17 minutes flight time and 1.655m of traveled distance. This thing is a true rocket and absolutely not a first time buyers drone.

I will edit some first flight footage soon and post the link here off course. Stunning!

I love it!
2015-1-18
Use props
The Colonel
lvl.4

United States

good to hear this and great news is so welcomed .

Im doing a test flight Monday if weather permits wish me luck looks like its ready to fly even with the firmware lock up I had.

2015-1-18
Use props
shallrk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12306 ft
  • >>>
Canada

has anyone heard a response, (other than the firmware release)
regarding their flight data which DJI tech support requested?

I haven't had a response as yet and i feel for others on this forum and elsewhere with damaged Inspires

Here's my reply (copy/paste) to DJI Tech this evening:

Hello.
I would kindly, "patiently" like to inquire if there has been any progress in the flight data analysis?
I thought 24hr support meant "24/7 day a week" support but I suppose your team takes weekends off??

Here's an "update" of the damage your "bug" has caused:
(which could've been a lot worse in most, if not all of these cases)

I have been on the DJI forums this weekend and I am feeling very discouraged for myself and others around the world who have been affected by this "bug".
I do, on the other hand, feel fortunate that the damage to my drone is minimal compared to other damage I have seen.

Nevertheless, all of this could've been avoided. I can't imagine you would argue or disagree on this point with so many of your loyal customers, early adopters and financial (preorder) contributors to this new product being affected by this malfunction.

I would greatly appreciate a swift update on what kind of compensation you as DJI, an international electronics company, intend to do for your customer base.

This cannot be resolved, or "brushed off", simply by providing a firmware update to correct an issue that should've been resolved before a public release and shipment.

You have our flight data.
You have our order numbers.
You have our serial numbers.
Something more than a firmware update should be done to relieve the stress, financial burden and time lost by this debacle.

So again politely and patiently I ask for at least an update on the flight data, your plans for compensating us and/or at the very least, a response, if not from you (tech support), then from someone who can give us answers.
I know this is my "individual case email" but I inquire and thank you on behalf of all the Inspire owners affected by this.

Chris

I have updated to the latest firmware provided but have yet to test fly due to nasty weather.

2015-1-18
Use props
shallrk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12306 ft
  • >>>
Canada

also, I'm delighted to read others in this situation, that have Inspires which haven't been damaged and are updated, are having good flights!
thats great news
2015-1-18
Use props
phil
New

United States

Not from the take off point. If you watched the video it was flying perfectly for a few minutes then boom, I just lost all control. It would not respond to any thing I tried.
2015-1-18
Use props
rwood0797
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33169 ft
United States

I got my Inspire 1 last week. Flew 4 times with IOS Ipad Mini and Iphone 5s, with no problems whatsoever. Saw that DJI took IOS  support off, and made me try to upgrade IOS System but couldn't. Chatted with tech services and during my call, they took IOS completely off internet. I wanted to fly some more, so purchased an Android Samsung and went thru hell getting it set up but did with tech chat. Flew once with no problems. Recharged battery and went for second flight. Launched and during getting to altitude of 50 to 75 feet, video went all digital on me and Inspire departed my control. It flew about 100 yards away into a tree by the river and fell to earth. Battery jammed half in half out, broke landing strut at fuselage, tore off camera, and broke 3 out of 4 props. Battery was unable to be shut off, and drone is a mess with no way to package it up. I'll find out Monday if it can be repaired and what I have to do t get that done. Wish me luck!
2015-1-18
Use props
patrick.bender.
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9760 ft
Sweden

When anyone post something it would be really good if you start with the firmware version, that way it is easier to track changes made by firmware updates. Just a thought
2015-1-20
Use props
phil.email
New

United States

I wanted to give an update on my flyaway, crash, rescue and return.  
Please see video

1. RMA received by DJI on 1/9/15
2. Repair completed 1/26/15
3. The repair technicians replaced three motors, flight controller, two arms, the top shelf, 3 landing gears along with the battery and rc transmitter. The Inspire was test flown and is fully operational and shipped on 1/26/15.
4. Thanks DJI customer service for excellent response to my crisis....
4. I will post results of 2nd flight ( a little gun shy to take any more  risk at this point) when completed.
2015-1-26
Use props
ebarronh.email
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10203 ft
Peru

phil.email Posted at 2015-1-27 12:15
I wanted to give an update on my flyaway, crash, rescue and return.  
Please see video https://www.y ...

They took over a week to send me the RMA. They have just received my unit and will see how it goes.
I really wouldn't like to get it repaired. I'm asking at least for a new unit in exchange of all the mess they have caused me.
2015-1-26
Use props
ebarronh.aol
lvl.2
Peru

UPDATE: They have formally received my damaged unit and they are sending me back a new replacement due to be delivered this Friday.
I asked them to send me at least a new battery for all the trouble, let's see how that goes.
2015-1-27
Use props
Nes
lvl.3

United States

ebarronh.aol Posted at 2015-1-28 04:25
UPDATE: They have formally received my damaged unit and they are sending me back a new replacement d ...

I'm sorry, I don't normally do this. You are unbelievable, you just mentioned that they are sending you a replacement, and yet you still are going to ask for a battery?

2015-1-27
Use props
ebarronh.aol
lvl.2
Peru

Nes Posted at 2015-1-28 09:29
I'm sorry, I don't normally do this. You are unbelievable, you just mentioned that they are sendin ...

You have no idea how much money they've made me spent due to this accident. Including all the money I lost for not having the Inspire all these days (research).
Asking for a replacement unit is pretty much using my warranty. I asked them for extra batteries as a compensation for all of this. It's less trouble to include some batteries in the case than facing a lawsuit, I think.
2015-1-28
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

ebarronh.aol Posted at 2015-1-28 18:43
You have no idea how much money they've made me spent due to this accident. Including all the mone ...

Why do you feel you need to threaten with a lawsuit. You knew the Inspire would have issues. This is the price you paid for being an early adopter.
2015-1-28
Use props
mark.gray52
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176053 ft
United Kingdom

pauldean85@goog Posted at 2015-1-14 22:55
Thanks, just queried this with my dealer (Heliguy)

I would be careful with this dealer, gave me no support whatsoever on my phantom vision. Said as it's been in the air no warranty! I had the cracking around the motor screws, this was common and all over various forum sites. They then replied saying they do don't read forum sites etc, and we're not sending it to Germany to be looked at.
2015-1-28
Use props
david.spencer.b
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7192 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

lethbrp Posted at 2015-1-28 19:41
Why do you feel you need to threaten with a lawsuit. You knew the Inspire would have issues. This  ...

I disagree, all products brought to market should be fully tested (beta tested) if problems occur after then it wasn't tested enough! Would you get on an aeroplane or in a fast car knowing it may have a problem cause your an early adopter??????????
2015-1-28
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

david.spencer.b Posted at 2015-1-28 21:39
I disagree, all products brought to market should be fully tested (beta tested) if problems occur  ...

Oh please..... Do you use Windows or OS X and expect that to be bug free?

Transmitters are largely software driven these days, are these fully bug free?

I don't think so. Be realistic. You'd have to wait an awful long time for something to be completely bug free.
2015-1-28
Use props
gutten180.hotma
lvl.1

Norway

hey3825968@gmai Posted at 2015-1-15 01:15
So glad I cancled my order weeks ago, just so I can relax and and listen. YOU know, The preorder in  ...

I have not had any problems with my inspire1. had happily bought a inspire1 to. Let we have fun and you shut up. You are certainly a pessimist and I am an optimist
2015-1-28
Use props
ebarronh
lvl.2
Peru

lethbrp Posted at 2015-1-29 00:22
Oh please..... Do you use Windows or OS X and expect that to be bug free?

Transmitters are largel ...

DJI is not a new company. The Inspire 1 was supposed to be the result of everything they have learnt with prior quads. Even so, I wasn't expecting it to be perfect but the fact that it flew away very fast without any user input, really scared me. As david.spencer.b said, imagine if it was you on an aircraft. This just shouldn't ever happened.
2015-1-28
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

You should know how to fly in ATTI mode.. It's really that simple. If you lost money from not having the inspire, wouldn't that be your problem for not having a backup? Any professional knows you must have a back up rig just for these types of issues. You think a car dealer pays for lost work if you car brakes down?

This new generation really needs to start taking some personal responsibility.
2015-1-28
Use props
peterbowers
lvl.1

United States

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-1-29 04:57
You should know how to fly in ATTI mode.. It's really that simple. If you lost money from not having ...

Well if the car just takes off on its own and crashes, then you have a recall or a class auction lawsuit. Sadly, the inspire is laden with bugs and the early adopters are feeling the pain and paying the price
2015-2-6
Use props
bill
lvl.2
United States

ebarronh Posted at 2015-1-29 04:47
DJI is not a new company. The Inspire 1 was supposed to be the result of everything they have lear ...

Why would you want extra batteries?  Why wouldn't you just sell your new replacement Inspire1, if you are SO scared?  You should get good $s selling it given that you haven't flown the replacement copter yet.  There are plenty of people who would know how to fly it away from buildings and people, who aren't scared to have it, and would love to have one of these.  

You could put it up for sale in the classified section of this board, then log off of this forum, and never buy another copter again.  Just so you know, you aren't going to find another modern quad copter with more safety features in the market than the Inspire1.

Agree you probably shouldn't own such an advanced copter.
2015-2-6
Use props
budnikasr
lvl.2

Canada

I'm not going to get into too much here considering I'm sure I'll hear a bunch of sarcastic comments. Plain and simple received my inspire 1, updated to latest firmware, calibrated compass, IMU. Flew indoors in a large School Gym. Rubberized floor. First flight, took it easy as there are so many problems. Flew nicely. second flight tried to raise gear, no response. went a little higher tried again, no response. then it just drifted higher and farther away. slammed into wall. broke one of the arms. DJI sent instructions to download flight data. no success there.   Received an RMA.  Will be sending it back. Hopefully it will return soon. Was hoping to use it on a shoot in Brazil next week, but will have to use my phantoms instead. I've supported DJI for many years and love their products. Even own some of their stock. Very disappointed in the lack of support received. You'd think with such an anticipated launch of a new product they would be eager to help!!!
2015-2-6
Use props
ebarronh
lvl.2
Peru

bill Posted at 2015-2-7 07:22
Why would you want extra batteries?  Why wouldn't you just sell your new replacement Inspire1, if  ...

Not sure what is your problem but this is not the first quad I owned, I even know how to fly in ATTI mode and can handle Manual for a couple of minutes. The only thing that annoyed me was the fact it didn't let me control it, it was probably a defective unit so I'm trying again with the replacement.
I still think this is one of the best quads in the market.
2015-2-7
Use props
ebarronh
lvl.2
Peru

budnikasr Posted at 2015-2-7 10:55
I'm not going to get into too much here considering I'm sure I'll hear a bunch of sarcastic comments ...

I hope you asked for a replacement because if you asked to get it fixed, it'g going to take a lot of time.
They are short on personal. I heard.
2015-2-7
Use props
slabella.consul
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1483192 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello, can you post or send the Windows application DJI sent to you?

Let me know if you can.

Thank you in advance,

Steve
2015-2-7
Use props
bill
lvl.2
United States

ebarronh Posted at 2015-2-7 16:33
Not sure what is your problem but this is not the first quad I owned, I even know how to fly in AT ...

I am sorry my comment was so terse.  I just don't understand why you would ask DJI for extra batteries on this forum.  I would think that calling them, emailing them, or sending them a letter via snail mail might be better.

I personally think writing about your experience, suggestions for improvements, etc in a product forum is appropriate.  It seems to me that DJI has gone out of their way to provide you a replacement copter.   Any thing else they do is icing on the cake.

One a somewhat side note.  I am a private pilot and believe me it's not that much different with issues there except everything is VERY expensive.  I have had autopilots malfunction; and the procedure is to not use for landings and take off and always be ready to disengage and go to manual pilot control.  With GPS signal subject to interference (structures, solar flares, etc) and the Optical Flow Sensor's sensitivity to any number of ground patterns;  I for one prefer to take off and land manually.  I don't expect that DJI is going to be able to overcome these limitations completely as they are outside of their control.

For those that expect a RC company to do exhaustive testing as well as government certification like they are required to in civil aviation, be careful what you ask for; as the likely price for a copter that has gone through this kind of testing would easily be 10x.  For example, parts on my airplanes have been easily 10x what they would be for a similar part for an automobile.
2015-2-7
Use props
budnikasr
lvl.2

Canada

I wish I could post the files here. They are too large for the forum. If you want them please PM with your email address and I will send them to you, but use at your own risk. My PC laptop is now randomly rebooting and never did it before yesterday. I had to uninstall the DJI files and driver and ran a scan of my laptop to remove any unused files and 4 hours and counting no reboots. If anyone has had success using the tools sent by DJI for extracting the flight data please let us know how you did it. DJI's answer,  try as many computers as you can and then if that doesn't work, send the unit back to them.

Robert

***Private Message*** is there a way to private message on this forum?
2015-2-7
Use props
slabella.consul
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I had a interesting Inspire 1 find today as it sits on the bench.

My Inspire 1 with all the latest FW updates. Single Controller, connected to IOS IPAD Mini 2, @9.2 IOS Pilot APP.

Inspire was on the bench level for 10 hours at room temperature. 68 Deg. F.

Plugged in my HDMI monitor to the Master controller, iPad on, RC on and then Inspire. Noticed on the HDMI monitor that the artificial horizion

_____ V——- was on a angle by +/_ 15 degrees, down on the left.

NOTE: My inspire 1 is level on the bench i know his by leveling my bench first and it has been powered off for 10 + hours in my LAB at 68 deg.f.

Then I wanted two minutes and no changes. Went in the IMU calibration and did the calibration and noticed that the artificial horizon started to move to a level position and after the 10 minute IMU calibration, the artificial horizon was now level.

I powered cycled the Inspired between 2 hour cycles to see if it was off and it did not change. Still on the bench in the same position and has not moved. I will keep my eye on this and let you know if it show’s up as it did earlier.

Not sure if the Inspire 1 needs to be heated first and IMU calibration overtime but this is a very interesting find. If others try this, please let us know if you see the same issue on your HDMI monitor as the Inspire 1 sites on a known level surface.

Maybe this is why it fly’s off to the LEFT or RIGHT as other have reported. As i mentioned in the other postings, My Inspire 1 is grounded until i see some new FW for the DJI engineering team.

Let’s keep posting our observations. See nice and level NOW, the artificial horizon taken from my HDMI monitor and after IMU cal.

Best regards,
Steve
2015-2-7
Use props
slabella.consul
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

RE: Inspire 1 - Fly Away Bug (IMU)

I had a interesting Inspire 1 find today as it sits on the bench.

My Inspire 1 with all the latest FW updates. Single Controller, connected to IOS IPAD Mini 2, @9.2 IOS Pilot APP.

Inspire was on the bench level for 10 hours at room temperature. 68 Deg. F.

Plugged in my HDMI monitor to the Master controller, iPad on, RC on and then Inspire. Noticed on the HDMI monitor that the artificial horizion

_____ V——- was on a angle by +/_ 15 degrees, down on the left.

NOTE: My inspire 1 is level on the bench i know his by leveling my bench first and it has been powered off for 10 + hours in my LAB at 68 deg.f.

Then I wanted two minutes and no changes. Went in the IMU calibration and did the calibration and noticed that the artificial horizon started to move to a level position and after the 10 minute IMU calibration, the artificial horizon was now level.

I powered cycled the Inspired between 2 hour cycles to see if it was off and it did not change. Still on the bench in the same position and has not moved. I will keep my eye on this and let you know if it show’s up as it did earlier.

Not sure if the Inspire 1 needs to be heated first and IMU calibration overtime but this is a very interesting find. If others try this, please let us know if you see the same issue on your HDMI monitor as the Inspire 1 sites on a known level surface.

Maybe this is why it fly’s off to the LEFT or RIGHT as other have reported. As i mentioned in the other postings, My Inspire 1 is grounded until i see some new FW for the DJI engineering team.

Let’s keep posting our observations. See nice and level NOW, the artificial horizon taken from my HDMI monitor and after IMU cal.

Best regards,
Steve

artificial horizon AFTER IMU CAL

artificial horizon AFTER IMU CAL
2015-2-7
Use props
slabella.consul
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Test

budnikasr Posted at 2015-2-8 01:43
I wish I could post the files here. They are too large for the forum. If you want them please PM wit ...

Robert, can you see this picture?
2015-2-7
Use props
budnikasr
lvl.2

Canada

I tried to upload the zip file, but the forum upload said it was too big. I've uploaded it to my onedrive http://1drv.ms/1vxZ7Sw
Please use at your own risk. These are from DJI. If you have any success using them please let us know.
2015-2-7
Use props
slabella.consul
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Hello budnikasr , thanks i just pulled them all. Will let you know once i install in my Windows system and read the data.

Thank you and let's keep in touch.

Best regards,
Steve
2015-2-7
Use props
FoxSTI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11286 ft
  • >>>
United States

So I take it that there is two take of modes... (sorry I am new and I am still waiting for mine to arrive).

So if this is an IMU bug, can it be fixed via a firmware update?
2015-2-7
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

Canada

I have to say that the internet holds true on how well bad news travel faster and in  more volume than good news. I thank the people on here that have shred their constructively positive experiences thru such a negative situation.

My Inspire will be here next week and yes I am glad to not of been one of the first but then again when you have to be "the first" don't you typically expect there to be some bugs? Lets see... Apple, Microsoft, Nikon, Samsung....even Hubble (you remember that little billion dollar telescope in the sky?)...  yeah it seems to be constant with anything that involves complicated coding and algorithms that regardless of the extensive pre-launch testing there is ALWAYS issues that never see the light of day until the product ends up in customers hands. Its called technology..

Of course since the inspire is airborne and if it has an "error" when it does down its going to go down big and as we know the Inspie snt cheap!

At the end of the day I still consider the one in route to me to be a "early production" and I am expecting it to have issues and for that Im taking the risk on my own choice. Im just happy to hear from friends that own one abd most of the reports online that people have made it seems that DJI (although) slow is standing by their customers thru this issue and in most cases they are getting their birds replaced at no charge. That to me still says something about a company. Nothing will replace the inconvenience o the time down but when you want to be the first on the block just remember that the digital world is written in 1's and 0's and operating code is still written one character at a time by humans and algorithms are created by the implicative thoughts and possibilities that come to the minds of an engineer and engineers thru the concept of probability and possibility to complete a function.

Cant wait to get mine next week and take the step up form my phantom 2. For the record I had two issues with that bird as well and DJI stood by the product, took care of it (actually replaced it on one occasion) and its been perfect since.

Thanks for all the info on this wonderful product and am glad to see many people willing to work together constructively to work thru some o the challenges being experienced.  I look forward to more updates as they come out.
2015-2-8
Use props
tleibe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 753442 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not reported on any other forum since the update  out of the hundreds of thousands of units sold, nor with any experienced UAV operators.....so tired of seeing this sort of stuff old news people have always crashed multi copters and always will. The guy crashing into a garage? Geeze why would test fly your new model in a built up area near house garages, cars 2.4 wifi everywhere probably loads of other interference present too.
I don't get it if I'm getting used to any new aircraft and if (I really need to) test the automenous features??  Why not try it in a very large open space with little expected interference and nothing wto fly into!!  and then see what problems there are or damage you can cause.
2015-2-21
Use props
kevin_glamuzina
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25466 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

ebarronh@aol.co Posted at 2015-1-14 11:09
Completely agree with you. Try to fly safe until we get official news from DJI on how to avoid thi ...

man that is really unfair that you would blame DJI when you had not researched this
This is not a toy. I have been flying radio controlled models for years and no matter  what the model, i always make sure i know exactly what the the settings are supposed to be and exactly what the model is going to do, thats not to say i have flown without incident.If you did not calibrate the compass and not check IMU settings and calibrate your remote also before launch you kinda asking for trouble
Can you imagine if a pilot got into an A380 jumbo and filled the plane up with passengers and just took off with out checking that he had any fuel that the compass worked and that the controls worked.
Despite the fact this may appear to be a toy you are piloting it and flight pre checks are paramount.
If there is an IMU bug it would have been picked up in the flight check.
2015-2-21
Use props
flbstudio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20710033 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would just like to point out that whoever takes off in auto mode FOR THEIR FIRST TIME next to a wall or a car has bigger issues than DJI...
2015-3-2
Use props
hubertfehnker
New

New Zealand

Just got the Inspire, but for no reason all over sudden it  keeps going  away by it self , very frightening !
2015-3-13
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules