Cracked battery mid-flight after updating firmware
10922 97 2016-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

SO from what I read the cracks are only cosmetic, doesnt effect its performance, correct?
2016-7-22
Use props
Redro
lvl.2
France

Redro Posted at 2016-7-20 11:15
I bought the P4 from Apple (Lyon, France).  Do I take the battery back to them?

I bought the batter from Apple (Lyon, France).  Do I take the battery back to them for a replacement - or do I work through DJI.  The graphic has grown since I posted this.
2016-7-27
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Redro Posted at 2016-7-28 14:27
I bought the batter from Apple (Lyon, France).  Do I take the battery back to them for a replaceme ...

I would take it back to apple were you got it from, this way is probably quicker and more convenient for you.
2016-7-28
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Heebus Posted at 2016-7-23 12:23
SO from what I read the cracks are only cosmetic, doesnt effect its performance, correct?

It wont effect the electrical side of the batteries operation,but you don't want the spring breaking through the plastic, this may cause excess battery movement (maybe at worst case even failer) when in the craft, but I'm sure you will be watching it
2016-7-28
Use props
dead fred
lvl.1

United States

My batteries are all showing minor cracks on the face as well, all purchased at different times over several months, most direct from DJI store online. I don't even cram the batteries in there, I gently slide them in holding the release buttons as they are inserted, then let go and pull back gently to make sure they are locked in.

I remember reading that there were problems with brittle controller plastic when people put different antenna's on them, maybe its all of the plastic? At least certain batches?

I wonder what DJI is doing about this? Just replacing them one-off when customers lodge a support ticket, I assume.

Wonder if they are just replacing the front plastic and it will just reoccur? Or replacing with a new battery with the same tendency to crack?
2016-7-28
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

dead fred Posted at 2016-7-28 21:51
My batteries are all showing minor cracks on the face as well, all purchased at different times over ...

This is a design flaw in my opinion and until DJI fixes it, I expect that all Phantom 4 batteries will eventually develope the exact same cracks directly above the internal spring.  The plastic is simply too thin.  I can tell you from my own experience that the cracks WILL GROW larger over time.  I finally did a repair to the one battery that got so bad it looked like the spring was about to break through.  You can see that earlier in this thread.  I am very gentle inserting and removing the batteries but I do fly aggressively in sport mode at times.

--Jim Watkins
(Burbank, CA)
2016-7-28
Use props
dji.most.wanted
lvl.4

United States

Jim Watkins Posted at 2016-7-28 10:25
This is a design flaw in my opinion and until DJI fixes it, I expect that all Phantom 4 batteries  ...

I guess I will submit a ticket to support.us@dji.com to have all mine repaired/replaced while they are still under warranty.

Has anyone had theirs replaced by support yet? If so, is the design any different or do you expect you will have the same issue again in a few weeks?

2016-7-28
Use props
BIGDZ
First Officer
Flight distance : 10255860 ft
  • >>>

I had two batteries with this issue, sent them back and got two new ones. However the one I purchased trim Apple Store(the day I sent those in) developed a crack...wth...but just opened an RMA this morning and that one it going back....crazy
2016-7-28
Use props
Redro
lvl.2

nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2016-7-28 19:09
I would take it back to apple were you got it from, this way is probably quicker and more convenie ...

I took it back to Apple (Lyon) today and they promptly replaced it.  However, they said it if it happens again I must take it up with DJI.
2016-8-3
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I am having a crack too:

Is this a crack that I can get a replacement battery from DJI?
P4Batterycrack.JPG
2016-8-13
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And same here:-

Cracked Battery minimal useage to date

Cracked Battery minimal useage to date
2016-8-16
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-8-13 18:13
I am having a crack too:

Is this a crack that I can get a replacement battery from DJI?

Yes, if it is under warranty, I know they have covered others.

There was a poll started recently as well on cracked batteries.
2016-8-17
Use props
Capt. Wild Bill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1319180 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bennyboy1983 Posted at 2016-4-20 17:47
If it's a faulty battery Dji will replace it!, that to me looks like it's impacted something or drop ...

+1.
Highly doubtful that caused the app issue.
And if you're taking the quad on vacation, get several batteries,..
2016-8-17
Use props
Capt. Wild Bill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1319180 ft
  • >>>
United States

sploodge Posted at 2016-4-21 06:11
Think the likely cause is pushing the battery in via the back hard rather than squeezing the little  ...

Lol.
DJI needs make a decent shell, much less a battery cover..
2016-8-17
Use props
M_peter14
lvl.1
United States

I just noticed the same crack on my batteries. Both cracking at same time?
image.jpg
image.jpg
2016-10-9
Use props
jcostello182
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1861490 ft

United Kingdom

44 gentle flights and my battery's got the dreaded crack........
2016-10-10
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

O.K....Good thread on the crack in the battery case.  Definitely looks like a design flaw, DJI are you listening?

Not sure what model Phantom you are taking about, assuming P4....but...talking about all that charging before you use your battery....You DO NOT have to do that to the Intelligent Flight Battery.  It's NOT in the P4 User's Manual, and it's NOT in the Intelligent Flight Battery Guide...I just confirmed.  Save yourself a lot of time and angst, read your manual on Intelligent Flight Battery, and hope DJI treats you right.
2016-10-13
Use props
anthonytori
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Two months after my first cracked battery I had another incident. It was pretty small so I didn't go through the process of sending mine in and waiting for a new one to arrive. I just haven't used this battery in probably six months since I have three other ones. I have a long trip coming up so I decided to get this one replaced.  If you look at one of my posts in this thread (016-6-9 05:05:08) you can see I mentioned my second cracked battery. I haven't dealt with support since I posted about my good experience, which has been awhile. Today, that's beginning to change. This is obviously a design flaw on DJI's end. The crack grew so much that it extends to an area that would be inside the drone. I would rather not take any chances with it. Support refuses to do anything about it since it's past six months of the purchase. I'm pretty fair when it comes to things like this, but if a product has a known design fault I feel like there should be an obligation on DJI's end to make it right. The Phantom 4 was my first purchase and since I had a good experience with their support when things went wrong I extended my collection of DJI toys to the Osmo+ and Mavic. Has anyone else had issues getting their cracked battery replaced?
2017-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules