How much weight can my Phantom 3 Standard lift?
34628 4 2016-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scschulte
lvl.2
Flight distance : 159370 ft

I would like to lift a small 120 gram flashlight (about 4 oz or 1/4 lb.) with my Phantom 3 Standard.  Basically to do an experiment to see how visible this is going from 0 to 200 feet (or more).

The spec weight for a P3S is 1216 grams.  Mine currently weighs 179 grams more or 1,395 grams.  

This is due to adding the following:
  • Landing gear extension: 68 grams
  • Propeller guards:  75 grams (perhaps less but spec says 18.7 gm/PCS which I assume to be per piece)
  • Camera-gimbal Carbon Fiber Protector:  15 grams (maybe a bit more)
  • 7 small LED lights placed around the drone:  21 grams to 35 grams (difficult to weigh)

I didn't weight these when I installed them 2 weeks ago but can remove all these and weigh them at some future time but right now everything is nicely in place so haven't done that.

But if I took off all these options I'd drop the weight more than the 120 gram weight of the flashlight.  But I am wondering if I can add this flashlight, bringing the weight to about 1515 grams -- without overstressing the motors??

I don't plan to fly fast nor initially high.  The flashlight would be on a cord, tethered to the camera/gimbal carbon fiber support.  This way for take-off and landing the flashlight does not interfere with the landing gear.

And if this works, would be interesting to see what other payloads could be carried.  

Thanks for any comments.

Steve  Thursday 21 April 2016 23:18
2016-4-21
Use props
danhixon
New

United States

I tried to research how much weight a Phantom 3 Professional would lift and I found a handful of youtube videos where people were doing tests. Here's one that shows a P3A lifting 800 grams. Not sure if the motors get overstressed or not.

2016-4-21
Use props
scschulte
lvl.2
Flight distance : 159370 ft

WOW - 800 grams is like over half the weight, almost 2/3rds of the weight of the drone.  I'd be really concerned that the motors would overheat!  (I don't think he'd get that bucket to 400 feet!!)

But this gives me confidence that my approx 300 grams addition over base weight would probably be just fine!  I'll keep studying this a bit-- and thank you VERY much!  

Also be interesting to try different payloads!  

Steve  Friday 22 April 2016 18:38
2016-4-22
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I've seen several videos of drones rescuing/retrieving other drones that were lost on top of houses-roofs.
2016-4-22
Use props
jagd jagd
New

Germany

In the test it is the Phantom 3 pro. Can the Phantom 3 Standard carry the same weight?
1-14 07:02
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules