Tilted to the Left Horizon on Brand New Phantom 4! Please Help Me!
13865 92 2016-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bengalboy69
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>

Dji won't, but, maybe your retailer has a different policy? After 15 days DJI requires service call.
2016-5-21
Use props
bengalboy69
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A video of my newest Phantom 4 and the "Altitude Yo-Yo" bug.  My first unit behaved exactly the same.  Although, looking on the bright side, my "tilted horizon" issue does not appear to exist on this second Phantom 4.

2016-5-21
Use props
wrathofkhan
Banned

Australia

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-5-22
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That gimbal guard wouldn't be interfering with the VPS would it ?
2016-5-22
Use props
bengalboy69
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

@wrathofkhan, yes, you are the 2nd person to tell me I'm brave, but, I've become comfortable in trusting it to react when I take over the sticks.  Also, it does remain pretty stationary in terms of the horizontal position.  So, keeping close visual on the horizon changing on the monitor and drone is necessary.  Certainly, i cannot fly it to a subject like I did my Vision+ and take my hands off the sticks turning all my attention to camera settings and framing the image.  Now I must worry about raising altitude, lowering it.. moving it around a bit and watching the video feed carefully for changes in horizon/proximity.  Can't shoot close to far away objects because I can't trust it not to descend into a tree line or water.  Right now I'm just flying it high and waiting till Monday to tell Drone World #1 P4 is on its way back and to send me a P4 #3 when its received.  If I were the Dealer,, I'd be pissed as well with the hassle DJI is creating for him.  @Aardvar, no.. does this without the gimbal guard attached and gimbal guard does not block the VPS camera/sonar.
2016-5-22
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275276 ft
United States

bengalboy69,
How did you get rid of the Tilted Horizon problem on your P4? Did any calibrations help or did your replacement P4 came without any Horizon issues?

So far ive bought two P4's from Best Buy and both had the problem. I'm thinking the 3rd replacement would be different but simply not sure anymore.

Thanks
2017-2-11
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I finally got a good Phantom 4 on third try.  I can tell you the gimbal should easily move around and fall when turned off.  First two units the gimbal was very stiff and would remain facing forward even when shut down.  Picking it up and moving the Phantom still didn't make the gimbal suddenly tilt down.  It seemed like those units gimbal was too tight?  Anyway, that's the only difference I noted between the first two units and my current one.
2017-2-11
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275276 ft
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-2-11 16:24
I finally got a good Phantom 4 on third try.  I can tell you the gimbal should easily move around and fall when turned off.  First two units the gimbal was very stiff and would remain facing forward even when shut down.  Picking it up and moving the Phantom still didn't make the gimbal suddenly tilt down.  It seemed like those units gimbal was too tight?  Anyway, that's the only difference I noted between the first two units and my current one.

Got it! Thanks so much for your response. I'll take a note of this when I get my third P4.

Thanks
2017-2-11
Use props
tundrwd
lvl.2
United States

Looked at video - but as I recall, there is an issue with the VPU and flying over water.  Page 22 of the P4 manual shows several warnings, one of which is over water or transparent surfaces.  Many others have mentioned issues with this.  Might try your test again over an open field, and not water.  The VPU visually ascertains it's height above surfaces  - it's not radar/sonar.

The performance of your Vision Positioning System is affected by the surface over which it is  ying. The ultrasonic sensors may not be able to accurately measure distances when operating above sound-absorbing materials. In addition, the camera may not function correctly in suboptimal environments. The aircraft will switch from P-mode to A-mode automatically if neither GPS nor Vision Positioning System are available. Operate the aircraft with great caution in the following situations:
Flying over monochrome surfaces (e.g. pure black, pure white, pure red, pure green). Flying over a highly re ective surfaces.
Flying at high speeds(over 10 m/s at 2 meters or over 5 m/s at 1 meter).
Flying over water or transparent surfaces.
Flying over moving surfaces or objects.
Flying in an area where the lighting changes frequently or drastically.  (lots of clouds?  Or clouds over water?)
Flying over extremely dark (lux < 10) or bright (lux > 100,000) surfaces.
Flying over surfaces that can absorb sound waves (e.g. thick carpet).
Flying over surfaces without clear patterns or texture.
Flying over surfaces with identical repeating patterns or textures (e.g. tiles with the same design). Flying over inclined surfaces that will de ect sound waves away from the aircraft.
2017-2-12
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

tundrwd Posted at 2017-2-12 08:29
Looked at video - but as I recall, there is an issue with the VPU and flying over water.  Page 22 of the P4 manual shows several warnings, one of which is over water or transparent surfaces.  Many others have mentioned issues with this.  Might try your test again over an open field, and not water.  The VPU visually ascertains it's height above surfaces  - it's not radar/sonar.

The performance of your Vision Positioning System is affected by the surface over which it is  ying. The ultrasonic sensors may not be able to accurately measure distances when operating above sound-absorbing materials. In addition, the camera may not function correctly in suboptimal environments. The aircraft will switch from P-mode to A-mode automatically if neither GPS nor Vision Positioning System are available. Operate the aircraft with great caution in the following situations:

The issue was the aftermarket gimbal/camera protector.  That video was made shortly after the Phantom 4 released.  The Yo-Yo was cause by the VPS sensing the camera guard attached.  Afterwards, DJI put up a warning not use gimbal guards on the Phantom 4.  Later, DJI enabled the DJI Go app to turn off VPS altogether.
2017-2-12
Use props
tundrwd
lvl.2
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-2-12 20:55
The issue was the aftermarket gimbal/camera protector.  That video was made shortly after the Phantom 4 released.  The Yo-Yo was cause by the VPS sensing the camera guard attached.  Afterwards, DJI put up a warning not use gimbal guards on the Phantom 4.  Later, DJI enabled the DJI Go app to turn off VPS altogether.

Ok - good to know.  Not sure if I missed that, but good to know.  I've wondered about getting some "landing leg" extensions - but am just now hand-catching the drone on "landing".
2017-2-13
Use props
JSTDID
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1880873 ft
United States

I've had my P4 for about 5 months.  And since the first day that I received it, not only does the gimbal pitch left or right, when flying, but even before take off, the camera is ever so slightly pointing to the right.  When flying in the evening, I see the top right red LED.  Very frustrating.  Thought about taking it apart and maybe adjusting it manually but then ill probably void the warranty.  I've tried everything to correct this.  Forums, meet ups with expert pilots, etc.  I'd have to agree, this is something that has to be addressed.  Looks like most of you posted about a year ago.  GUESS WHAT, still no fix and some of you talk about patients....  how long is long enough?   Has there been a resolution beside exchanging your drone?
2017-2-17
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JSTDID Posted at 2017-2-17 12:05
I've had my P4 for about 5 months.  And since the first day that I received it, not only does the gimbal pitch left or right, when flying, but even before take off, the camera is ever so slightly pointing to the right.  When flying in the evening, I see the top right red LED.  Very frustrating.  Thought about taking it apart and maybe adjusting it manually but then ill probably void the warranty.  I've tried everything to correct this.  Forums, meet ups with expert pilots, etc.  I'd have to agree, this is something that has to be addressed.  Looks like most of you posted about a year ago.  GUESS WHAT, still no fix and some of you talk about patients....  how long is long enough?   Has there been a resolution beside exchanging your drone?

I would send it back for repair or replacement.  My issue was only solved once I received a Phantom 4 that didn't have a tilted gimbal.  
2017-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules