Inspire camera settings - Photographer advice please
4913 16 2015-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wolftj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

Been flying it for a couple days. Did the firmware updates before first flight. Don't have prop locks. Have had zero flight problems, pretty impressed actually. So far, for me anyway, a very impressive piece of machinery. While I loved my Phantom 2, this is a different league. Kudos DJI.

Anyway, haven't paid less attention to the video initially. I started looking back at the footage I kept rolling while playing with her. I have had the ND filter installed and left all the settings on Auto. It seems the camera does a poor job of regulating exposure on Auto. On a bright sunny day about half the world is overexposed even without moving quickly to a bright scene. Since it's winter here in Texas, even just after noon the sun's at a pretty good angle from overhead. Any ground shot with the sun behind the camera is overexposed, the reflected light seems to bloom and wash out all the contrast and color. I'm not a photographer, don't pretend to be. Any advice for getting better shots that don't seem overexposed?
2015-1-19
Use props
unblind
lvl.2

United States

We've been searching the web looking for some help in this area too! I guess we are DJI's guinea pigs. Good luck!
2015-1-22
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

Well can't speak for your video as we can't see it but being a wildlife photographer I can tell you that most camera's do a poor job on AUTO that's why most photographers use manual mode. Post your video and you might get more advice I normally shoot with a Nikon D3s and a 600mm F4 lens.

Mike
2015-1-22
Use props
DJI-Victor.lai
lvl.1

China

Hi, There are three ways:
1. Manually adjust EV
2. Tap on the screen, use spot metering
3. Use the Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB)
2015-1-24
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I find spot metering to be the most useful. Likewise, having overexposure warning turned on is a must for me.
2015-1-25
Use props
smcbrearty.roge
lvl.3

I am not one of the lucky ones to have an Inspire yet, does the drone come with a manual explaining the exposure settings?  Or complete outline as to what the camera capabilities are?  Is there a "real" name for the inspire camera instead of just "inspire 1 camera".  I am just about to jump into the inspire, I am so tired of the fisheye you get from the gopro and having to waist so much time in post production to get the footage to look normal.
2015-2-11
Use props
bobibobr
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I am having trouble with this lump of £2300 of rubbish, tried every thing , the video are Misty and the same with the photos::@
2015-3-19
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

svencool Posted at 2015-1-23 08:49
Well can't speak for your video as we can't see it but being a wildlife photographer I can tell you  ...

"Most" being the operative word. For most users (hobbyists) the auto function on this camera is excellent. Those who wish to spend the time and take the effort to learn photography/videography have a good instrument to learn with. Start by searching the Web for basic photography courses--most are free and there for the reading.

There is no one setting for the infinite subjects/situations you will encounter (outside of "Auto").
2015-3-19
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

bobibobr@yahoo. Posted at 2015-3-19 23:40
I am having trouble with this lump of £2300 of rubbish, tried every thing , the video are Misty  ...

It isn't "rubbish" as most are getting stunning images out of this camera platform.

Try posting an example we can see and maybe help you with.

"Misty..." did you clean the filters?
2015-3-19
Use props
bobibobr
lvl.1
United Kingdom

InspiredOne Posted at 2015-3-20 00:31
It isn't "rubbish" as most are getting stunning images out of this camera platform.

Try posting a ...

most off them not all of them, not been funny
2015-3-19
Use props
bobibobr
lvl.1
United Kingdom

InspiredOne Posted at 2015-3-20 00:31

Try posting a ...

would post videos if i could, but youtube will not process the vids
2015-3-19
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

bobibobr@yahoo. Posted at 2015-3-20 01:27

You said "photos," you can post those without YT.
2015-3-19
Use props
michaellascuola
New
Flight distance : 4642 ft
United States

I ran into the same issue when I accidentally pressed the exposure controls at the lower right of the screen.  When I toggled it back again, the exposure was perfect.
2015-6-15
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

michaellascuola Posted at 2015-6-15 23:52
I ran into the same issue when I accidentally pressed the exposure controls at the lower right of th ...

You will always get the best results from a manual exposure, where you control every aspect.   When you pressed the exposure controls it just means it gave you the power the perfect the image, which you then turned off and went back to AUTO mode.

Next time experiment with the manual settings.   If you're on IOS then turn on the OVEREXPOSURE WARNING and adjust the settings so you have only a couple of hot spots (represented by zebra lines) in your image.   This is the perfect exposure.   In addition, if you watch my tutorials you will see all the best settings to get the best images in the field and how to process them back at home.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-9738-1-1.html
2015-6-15
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

bobibobr@yahoo. Posted at 2015-3-20 01:27

Ok, I have just been experimenting with using Vimeo to upload video.  Uploads video and formats it ok then you can select who can view it.
2015-6-16
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 442743 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Learn how to read the histogram.
2015-9-13
Use props
JasonA
lvl.2

United States

read a primer on basic photography concepts, it will help you really become more creative with your shots.   
Here's one for example:

http://improvephotography.com/ph ... tter-speed-and-iso/

Essentially your overall challenge with cameras in manual modes is to get enough light into the camera while getting the 'side effects' you want for your shot.  You have three ways to get more (or less) light into the camera.  Aperture size, shutter speed and ISO.  You will have to work the three settings to a compromise state to get what you need.   Basically just keep these 'side effects' in mind

Aperture size affects  depth-of-field blur.  Most video is shot with small apertures to keep everything in focus (no DoF), and I would think this is a prioirty in a flying camera.

Shutter speed affects motion blur.  Slower the shutter, the more motion blur.  The usual start rule is have your shutter speed be the recipricol of the lens focal length.  ei 50mm lens ~ 1/50th sec shutter.

ISO affects the grain noise.  It gets more light into the camera but noise in general is not usually desirable, and its difficult to use creatively.  I usually try to stay under ISO 400 because I dont like noise.

2015-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules