o(^-^)o
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-7-12 00:07
Thx! Got it! Sort of logical!

The GEO is a ton of data so the it's only a small radius around the powered up aircraft.
2016-7-11
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-11 18:36
I don't have a exact radius but it looks somewhere's in the 5-10 mile range.

Thanks Ken, considering the data volume that sounds reasonable; that probably also explains why you are using only points and radii, rather than inputing the local restrictions which are often rectangular. But along this line, I noticed that Paris has a 50km radius Enhanced Warning zone  on your Online map. If you are say 30 km away from that center point... well shouldn't the GO app map have that information, since you would be within that Warning zone. Maybe 5 to 10 miles of info isn't always enough?
2016-7-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

johnsr Posted at 2016-7-12 01:09
Thanks Ken, considering the data volume that sounds reasonable; that probably also explains why yo ...

I was referring to the NFZ's those I only see in the map on the app in about a 5-10 mile radius.
If you turn on all the other zones then those have a larger radius
2016-7-11
Use props
Old Geezer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23691 ft
United Kingdom

Mallettron Posted at 2016-7-8 19:50
In the UK people can use this, more upto date complying with CAP393

http://www.noflydrones.co.uk/

Check that one very VERY carefully ...

If you scroll the map up to Northumberland and look just above Newcastle, you will see a red zone at Alnwick.

Zoom in and you will see it is centred on Lesbury near Alnmouth and covers Alnmouth and RAF Boulmer South Site, but does not cover RAF Boulmer North Site just up the coast a couple of miles.

Boulmer is an RAF Air/Sea Rescue Helicopter station.  I suspect the red zone centred on Lesbury should be covering both RAF Boulmer sites.  There are also two light aircraft airports northwest and southeast of Boulmer (about 5 miles each) which also provide facilities for gliders and microlights.  They are not restricted or warning zones.

I noticed this as I live midway between Alnwick and Alnmouth.

Edited to make distinction between north and south sites at Boulmer.

2nd Edit - the site that Ken linked to (and the DJI Go app) does not have the restricted zone(s) described above.  Scrolling round a bit, it is also missing many of the operational RAF stations throughout the UK.  So it looks like the DJI GEO system is based on civilian airfields and restricted zones, but excludes the military ones.
2016-7-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Old Geezer Posted at 2016-7-12 11:25
Check that one very VERY carefully ...

If you scroll the map up to Northumberland and look just ab ...

GEO is an evolving process, things will be updated as time goes on.
2016-7-12
Use props
decooper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14255190 ft
  • >>>

So frustrating . . . Press Release 'leads' the reader to believe they can self-authorize where authorized to FLY .  Now, the forums say we have to email to get someone to send us something in PAPERFORM?  How long is the turn around expected ?  Is there a means to expedite?  The area I want to film has already been flown (pre-shoot) with 1.5.3 and since I trusted DJIs Press Release I updated firmware --- BIG mistake on my part ~

How long does the process take?

(BTW, a screen shot is too large for this system???  What kind of processing power for a forum can't handle a screen shot?)
2016-7-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

decooper Posted at 2016-7-13 02:40
So frustrating . . . Press Release 'leads' the reader to believe they can self-authorize where autho ...

Authorization zones are self unlocked, restricted zones need further permission.
I do not know the exact time frame, you can email FlySafe to get more detailed info.
You can download a image resizer resize your screenshot.
The forum can take up to 2mb.
Click to add pictures to post content

"File size: Less than 2MB , Available name extensions: jpg, jpeg, gif, png"
2016-7-12
Use props
RoccoT31
lvl.1
Flight distance : 289318 ft

I live in Chicago for blocks from US Cellular Field where the Chicago White Sox play Major League Baseball and I live less than 2 miles from soldier field for the Chicago Bears play NFL football and I live about 7 miles from Midway Airport. Midway Airport does not show up on the no-fly zone and the only thing that I see on the no-fly zone is red around US Cellular Field and Soldier Field this is on the map from dji go. people have flown around US Cellular Field and Soldier Field from YouTube videos that I have seen is there a way that I can unlock these places so that I can fly around them. I'm not trying to fly on game days only when the place is completely empty which is most the time for the White Sox laugh out loud. I see how you can unlock the no-fly zone on the DJI website but when I look at the map on the site it does not show any no fly zones around either Stadium I am very confused
2016-7-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RoccoT31 Posted at 2016-7-13 03:58
I live in Chicago for blocks from US Cellular Field where the Chicago White Sox play Major League Ba ...

You can unlock restricted NFZ's, email FlySafe for further instructions on how to unlock the requested restricted zones.
2016-7-12
Use props
Ribfeast
lvl.2
Australia

What version of App and drone firmware is needed for the P3S to use this?
2016-7-12
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

The feature appears to be working as intended:
2016-7-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Ribfeast Posted at 2016-7-13 06:48
What version of App and drone firmware is needed for the P3S to use this?

I'm sorry, it is not available on the P3 Standard.
2016-7-12
Use props
DadDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2907 ft
United States

Just curious what happens when you launch outside of a Authorization Zone and try to fly in.  Does the aircraft hover at the boundry while you unlock or does it land?
2016-7-13
Use props
J Finch Photogr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 698845 ft
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-7-10 04:04
Also, if I wanted to fly near an airport WITHOUT a tower, how the heck do I get a permission? There' ...

http://funplacestofly.com makes it simple for those of us in the United States needing to notify the airport manager.

http://funplacestofly.com > Airports link >  State link > click desired airport > scroll down to Airport Ownership and Management to find the manager's address and phone number.
2016-7-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

DadDog Posted at 2016-7-14 15:55
Just curious what happens when you launch outside of a Authorization Zone and try to fly in.  Does t ...

When you reach about 100ft from it you will not be able to fly any further in and can only fly away from it.
2016-7-14
Use props
Ribfeast
lvl.2
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-13 09:36
I'm sorry, it is not available on the P3 Standard.

Dammit   Is this likely to change later?
2016-7-14
Use props
Rabidman
lvl.1

United States

What is the point of all of the green zones, I live in the Chicago area which you could tell by the map... OH WAIT YOU CANT, it is ALL green arrows. What's the point just say that in order to fly you understand that there are people and buildings and hospitals withing a 200 mile radius of you.
222246lwhyxwh233l39p9y.png
2016-7-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Rabidman Posted at 2016-7-15 22:22
What is the point of all of the green zones, I live in the Chicago area which you could tell by the  ...

Looks like you have all the warnings set to "Show Warning Zones & Prompts"
You can change them to "Show Warning Prompts" or "Ignore"
2016-7-15
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-11 08:12
This is the GEO map page.
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/map

Ken, can you add this link, and anything else that is needed for us to know, into the original 1st post in this thread please? Just so all the links, email addresses, are all inside the first post? Thx!
2016-7-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Phantomski Posted at 2016-7-17 04:34
Ken, can you add this link, and anything else that is needed for us to know, into the original 1st ...

I added the main page.
2016-7-16
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

So how should this work? I've sent an email yesterday, early afternoon, did not hear back yet.... is not the idea there to be able to clear nofly zone sort of... fast? Perhaps not? And thx for adding the link to the OP.
2016-7-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Phantomski Posted at 2016-7-18 00:20
So how should this work? I've sent an email yesterday, early afternoon, did not hear back yet.... is ...

Then will answer you within 2 days.
2016-7-17
Use props
thorsten.yachtc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287884 ft
China

Can you add the zones in China too? I live in Hainan.. never know exact if I hit some areas..
2016-7-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

thorsten.yachtc Posted at 2016-7-21 13:20
Can you add the zones in China too? I live in Hainan.. never know exact if I hit some areas..

Can you post a screenshot from the GEO page of your area. And also go to that are with your aircraft and power up and post a screenshot from the app.
2016-7-21
Use props
news
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1607267 ft
Spain

It would be nice if the app showed geo information without drone being powered up.
I do some pre flight planning before heading out on tablet I use for flying.
Having to look at maps on computer first does not seem that user friendly.
2016-7-23
Use props
bnmphoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345827 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here's my question;  Looking at this geo map provided by DJI, my area doesn't look too bad. There are some areas that I can work around by authorizing myself.

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 3.12.24 PM.png

However, the B4Ufly app from the FAA makes it appear as though there is simply no place where it is legal to fly (without contacting up to 10 control towers - in some cases - no joke).

IMG_1829.jpg

There's also an app called; NoFlyZone. It is even worse;

IMG_1830.PNG

Which should I use to avoid trouble?

I can understand keeping away from airports. This DJI geo map seems to provide for a smaller radius than the FAA app or the NoFlyZone app, which is good news. The FAA app shows that my own backyard is a no fly zone. On the geo map, it's a warning zone that I can self authorize out of, which makes more sense.

I almost never go beyond 200 feet AGL.

Living in Louisiana, there are also brand new laws ON TOP OF the federal regulations - which sucks.

I don't want to run afowl of the law, but I do want to fly my UAV! My choice would be to use the DJI geo map of course, but will that 'hold up' if I'm approached by law enforcement?

Thoughts?

2016-7-24
Use props
bnmphoto
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

news@bonathan.c Posted at 2016-7-23 11:30
It would be nice if the app showed geo information without drone being powered up.
I do some pre fli ...

If you follow the link to the map provided in an earlier post, you can pre-plan. I like to do the same thing.
2016-7-24
Use props
bnmphoto
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I do some pre fli ...

If you follow the link to the map provided in an earlier post, you can pre-plan. I like to do the same thing.
2016-7-24
Use props
bnmphoto
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I do some pre fli ...

2016-7-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

news@bonathan.c Posted at 2016-7-24 00:30
I do some pre fli ...

It takes up so much space on the app and that may be why they do it like that.
2016-7-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

bnmphoto Posted at 2016-7-25 04:41
Here's my question;  Looking at this geo map provided by DJI, my area doesn't look too bad. There ar ...

I just use the DJI GO app.
2016-7-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-7-9 15:04
Also, if I wanted to fly near an airport WITHOUT a tower, how the heck do I get a permission? There' ...

Also, if I wanted to fly near an airport WITHOUT a tower, how the heck do I get a permission?

Read the rules.  If there's no tower or authority, you need to contact the airport manager.
2016-7-26
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

I actually spoke to them, they are pretty paranoid.. oh well..
2016-7-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-7-27 14:49
I actually spoke to them, they are pretty paranoid.. oh well..

It's all how you approach them.
2016-7-27
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-27 08:00
It's all how you approach them.

Clearly, not the way I did ;)
2016-7-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-7-28 00:36
Clearly, not the way I did ;)

I would have a plan of activities with all aspects of the flight. Have exact times and location (distance and radial from the local VOR). Have emergency procedures, alternate landing zone. Just be as professional as possible and know all the aviation terms. They will be way more likely not to mind if you fully look like you know what you are doing.
2016-7-27
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

Agreed.. I told them, 2 miles away, below 200 ft, they just did not even want to hear it.. this time.... but it could even be the person I happened catch.. in time I will try again....
2016-7-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-7-28 11:32
Agreed.. I told them, 2 miles away, below 200 ft, they just did not even want to hear it.. this time ...

Next time you'll probably get a better response from them if you are totally prepared.
2016-7-28
Use props
Nfbarreto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 779839 ft
Spain

How does one get a verified account ? Is that during the unlocking process within the app, or is there some other URL that I need to access ? Thanks.
2016-7-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Nfbarreto@gmail Posted at 2016-7-29 01:22
How does one get a verified account ? Is that during the unlocking process within the app, or is the ...

If you are talking about flying in authorization zones then you do that through the website or on site with the DJI GO app (internet connection needed) and it will verify you during the process with either a credit card or your phone number and it will text you a code and you enter that to finish the verification.
If you need to fly in a NFZ then you email FlySafe@dji.com and request permission and they will email you all the required documents you will need to supply them with.

http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock
2016-7-28
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules