2016-7-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

able2-able2 Posted at 2016-7-14 01:19
Thanks i will have to try when the wind isnt to strong and report back as i did do a calibration v ...

Also if you are going through temperature changes the aircraft may need to settle for a few minutes to acclimate to the temperature.
But, do the calibration and let me know how it goes.
2016-7-13
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I still don't have smooth sd card video when the P4 makes turns.  It was good before the upgrade
!

I tried the optimal settings mentioned in another post, but no luck for mine.  Is there a way to recover my original settings, prior to the upgrade?
We should be able to backup and restore our settings.
My videos now are not usable!
2016-7-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-7-14 01:37
I still don't have smooth sd card video when the P4 makes turns.  It was good before the upgrade
!{: ...

Can you please post a quick video clip.
2016-7-13
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-13 21:31

Firmware upgrade today and altitude drop on stop is minimal Drone seems much smoother in flight too.

edit: I thought my bird was slow - was convinced I checked MFM earlier after the upgrade. One thing that MAY be a glitch, I didn't see any warning on the screen telling me it wasn't enabled when I moved the PSA switch. I DO see it for a split second in the flight replay.
Thanks for the quick reply DJI-Ken I'll test tomorrow with it REALLY enabled this time :/ (doh)

Be sure to check your app setting for multiple flight modes after the upgrade - I didn't and thought my bird was on a go slow. So far after a relatively short flight I find my P4 working very very well. Nice one DJI

2016-7-13
Use props
jjepilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1000272 ft

Did you have a change between P and S mode before you did the last update?
2016-7-13
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

jjepilot Posted at 2016-7-13 22:43
Did you have a change between P and S mode before you did the last update?

My bad jje, have edited my post accordingly, I mustn't have checked they were still enabled after the update - app said no when I just looked. Tomorrow hopefully I can get 'back up to speed'!
2016-7-13
Use props
cayalag
lvl.3
Flight distance : 470656 ft
Portugal

Just tried the bird after the upgrade... All good !!! even after stopping very suddenly there is no altitude drop.
2016-7-13
Use props
karol.kearney
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Updated today will try tomorrow if rain stays away
2016-7-13
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Aardvark Posted at 2016-7-12 22:16
Have a look at This thread, post 46, these settings work well for smooth gimbal movement.

I use the settings in that thread and it IS buttersy smooth
2016-7-13
Use props
cayalag
lvl.3
Flight distance : 470656 ft
Portugal

Swedrone Posted at 2016-7-14 15:47
I use the settings in that thread and it IS buttersy smooth

Yeah, I did the same yesterday and I was very pleased with the result
2016-7-14
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
Flight distance : 357503 ft
United Kingdom

I cant figure out why everyone else is fixed with this altitude, today i took mine down to the beach wind speed average, had a fly around bare in mind im at sea level, the dji go app was showing -9.8.? feet i landed and power cycled everything took off again (off the floor) had a little fly around again, and again showed - (minus) on my altitude, surely something is wrong? as it wasnt like this before, maybe i can downgrade back to my older fw?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6z5y7ifb227mpv/phantom4-altitude.PNG?dl=0

2016-7-14
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sky Mike Posted at 2016-7-14 13:11
I cant figure out why everyone else is fixed with this altitude, today i took mine down to the beach ...

Did you recalibrate all after upgrade , sensors, IMU, gimbal, compass, RC ? Or perhaps a factory reset and calibrate all might help.
2016-7-14
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2016-7-14 13:41
Did you recalibrate all after upgrade , sensors, IMU, gimbal, compass, RC ? Or perhaps a factory r ...

Im pretty new to phantoms i never re calibrated the IMU, just done that now and the compass again, i will take it back out again and have another fly be back in a hour or so

EDIT/ADD

I have just been out after resetting the IMU gimbal compass still the same, ill set it off im 5.8 so i set it to my hight its roughtly correct but as its keeping steady hovering it seems to go higher and then steadys its self and goes higher again but the screen output is saying 5.8 give or take a little under standable, by this time the p4 is some what 12ft in the air and no sticks touched, so when i start its decent im getting minus....

i restarted all again went to 10ft flew forward towards me still says roughtly same altittude but it was not at all it was way lower by the time it got to me it was about 2ft off the groud but it said it was higher, it never had this issue before this update was pushed out, i flew 3ft above a river for 200 meters it was fine, iv lost all confidance in this phantom now!!
2016-7-14
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sky Mike Posted at 2016-7-14 14:09
Im pretty new to phantoms i never re calibrated the IMU, just done that now and the compass again,  ...

Did you calibrate the sensors using DJI Assistant 2, that may have some bearing on the height reading ?

Below 10m (33 feet) the visual and ultrasonic sensors on the bottom of the P4 help it to hold position and height.

Also when the IMU was calibrated it should have been on a dead level surface.

2016-7-14
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2016-7-14 15:34
Did you calibrate the sensors using DJI Assistant 2, that may have some bearing on the height readi ...

yes used the assistant 2, when i bought this 2 weeks ago flew it straight from the box worked great no issues at all update comes along causes issues, but im sure ill get it sorted i have factory reset the thing downgraded fw to what it was once, re set imu all sensors tbh, now ill try again
2016-7-14
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-13 16:31

Here is a video; it is not smooth only when the P4 turns. P4 moving Up and Down is smooth, and it's fine when it moves straight.
I turned from 16 sec to 19 sec
Not So Smooth at Turns

My settings are:
EXP: 0.4 0.32  0.39
Sensitivity:
ALT = 89
Brake = 100
Yaw End Point = 113

All Gain = 100

RC Gimbal speed = 50

Gimbal Tilt = 20
Enable Upward  = Off
Gimbal Tilt Smoothtrac = 15
ENable Synchr. Gimbal Pan Follow = Off

I am putting all settings in excel, and then I plan to try one or 2 adjustments at a time, to get me back to smoothness!

Not sure what the Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow does?  But I know it was off before the upgrade.
Gimbal Tilt numbers should have no affect, since my issue is not related to tilt; is that accurate?

If yes, then I think I will be adjusting mainly the:
Sensitivity Yaw End Point; I assume a higher value will make it more responsive, but a very low value will not allow it to track the P4?
My EXP settings are already low.

ANy other setting that is critical?  

BTW:I use a ND4 filter, Auto ISO setting, 1080P 60 fps

2016-7-14
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Iv just noticed my camera isnt straigh pointing forwards its off to the rite, phantom was fine, updated alsorts weird issues now, going back to the shop with it tomorrow tried everything multiple times now the camera is off centre, im like seriously, was perfect it seems now, is not!

Since updated
Hovring seems to be erratic all over the place
Seems to steady its self but applies more power p4 goes higher does not register = minus altitude
Go forward drops altitude does not register!
Camera is off centre points to the rite cant get it centred up
Camera was doing some weird dance today when started phantom like on a angle and swaying up and down

if it had crashed id accept the above but it hasnt, all seems since its updated
2016-7-14
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

After update camera is having issues, when craft is powered on camera will point strait up then return to level on its own, repeatedly. Several reboots have not solved this issue, anyone else having this issue???
2016-7-14
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

lombardomal@gma Posted at 2016-7-12 08:28
Do we need to update batteries or remote controller?

No........
2016-7-14
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-7-15 06:13
After update camera is having issues, when craft is powered on camera will point strait up then retu ...

Please try to calibrate the IMU and the camera again. If it still exists, post a short video clip of this issue here.
2016-7-14
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

When I upload the video online, then it looks smoother than the way it looks when I run it raw on my pc. Maybe the compression smooths it out.

I made a video earlier, which does seems smooth.  The issue seems to be during fast turns and if the objects are close.  Maybe you can see some of that in the first 15 seconds and later on as it passes close to the trees.
I plan to do more tests tomorrow, assuming the rain stops.

Hercules of Stony Brook
2016-7-14
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

Sky Mike Posted at 2016-7-15 03:33
Iv just noticed my camera isnt straigh pointing forwards its off to the rite, phantom was fine, upda ...

When the air pressure is not stable, the barometer can be influenced by the airflow, which leads to the altitude deviationin the app. Don't worry about it if your drone behaves normaly. We will keep optimizing this feature to ensure the best user experience.
2016-7-15
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

Sky Mike Posted at 2016-7-15 03:33
Iv just noticed my camera isnt straigh pointing forwards its off to the rite, phantom was fine, upda ...

As for your camera issue, could you post a short video clip here?
2016-7-15
Use props
dan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 587726 ft
Czechia

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-7-14 21:02
Here is a video; it is not smooth only when the P4 turns. P4 moving Up and Down is smooth, and it's ...

This more depends on the shutter speed. Within 3 seconds you rotate 180 deg. - Video may not be smooth (ND filter shutter speed even slower) Move the drone always slow. Fast turns only to change direction or composition or with a faster shutter speed. Then remove / cut these rapid movements in Editor.
The viewer will have a better enjoyment of video ...
Sorry for my "Google translate" english ;-)
2016-7-15
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Even the last 4 seconds of the video as the camera turns around the anchor to focus on Hercules, it seems a bit choppy to me.
2016-7-15
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-7-15 11:13
As for your camera issue, could you post a short video clip here?

Sorry i cant post a video now, but when the phantom was OFF the camera rolled to the rite even more, when on and using the left stick it only went as far as centre, i took it back to the shop, showed them what was going on with the camera, replaced it straight away as its under 30 days since purchase, so DJI will be getting it back anyways so can check what the issue was/is...

New on drone, camera points forward on or off left rite moves camera both ways not just rite and then left moves it to centre..Not sure if i want to update again as before the drone was 100% fine in flight, not sure about the camera tilt was more a case i had a problem i began to notice more at that point....

Cant test new drone "its raining" typical UK weather

2016-7-15
Use props
Athlon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675364 ft
Germany

Thank you very much DJI!
After the new update, the P4 has no altitude drops and all works fine :-) (also the newest DJI go app works very well....bugfixed the maploading issue)

Cheerio
Athlon

2016-7-15
Use props
morgo1968
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Athlon Posted at 2016-7-15 14:49
Thank you very much DJI!
After the new update, the P4 has no altitude drops and all works fine :-)  ...

Upgraded to the new firmware last evening and all went smoothly.  Calibrated IMU, sensors, gimbal and compass.

Test flights this this morning and the altitude drops have gone.....the P4 is much more stable in flight.

Thanks DJI for the fix
2016-7-15
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I took another video today as the P4 is turning.  As you can see, it's choppy.  I am using the optimal settings, as mentioned above.

I wonder though if it's optimal for all P4's or are they set at different values when it leaves the production test?

Any suggestions to smooth the videos are appreciated.
Choppy Video when Turning
2016-7-15
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
Canada

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-7-15 09:05
I took another video today as the P4 is turning.  As you can see, it's choppy.  I am using the optim ...

MD_Icarus,

What you are seeing as "choppiness" during turns in the video you posted is completely normal considering the speed at which you are rotating the P4.  To get smooth 30 fps 4K or 60 fps 1080p video during turns, you need to do the following:
1) Execute your turns much, much slower.  For example, when executing a 360 degree panoramic turn, I typically take up to 3 minutes to complete the turn (not 15 seconds!)
2) Use an ND8 or even an ND16 or ND32 filter on the camera lens to reduce the shutter speed ideally to near twice the frame rate. So, for 30 fps 4K video, you want a shutter speed around 1/60 sec; for 60 fps 1080p video, you want to target a shutter speed around 1/120 sec. You can use faster shutter speeds, of course, with reasonably good results, if you turn slowly enough.  The 2 times frame rate rule for shutter speed is a guideline for optimal results.

But, definitely, "SLOW DOWN" when rotating the P4 IF you want nice smooth video during the turns.  If you are just positioning for next shot or returning home, then, of course, turn as fast as you want.
2016-7-15
Use props
jwt873
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

I'm very happy with the new firmware.

I loaded it when it first came out using the DJI Assistant.  It went smoothly.  I couldn't fly though, because of the weather.  

Before I put it away, I stuck in in the refrigerator for half an hour and did a real cold  IMU calibration followed by a gimbal calibration.  (In the three months I've had my P4, I've never done an out of the fridge IMU calibration).

The rain finally stopped and we had a nice calm sunny day today, so I went for a flight.  Everything worked as normal.  Since the last firmware upgrade, I've never had a noticeable a drop problem either when stopping or hovering. That stayed the same.. But, to my surprise, my tilted horizon problem is all but gone!  I never really noticed it until I got home and viewed my photos and video on my home TV.

I don't know if it was the firmware that fixed the problem, or the 'out of the refrigerator' IMU calibration.  But no matter what, I'm extremely pleased with my first 1.2.503 flight.
2016-7-15
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-7-15 14:03
MD_Icarus,

What you are seeing as "choppiness" during turns in the video you posted is completely  ...

Thanks for the suggestions. Since 2 suggestions were for camera settings, I will look more into the camera settings.

I was using an ND4 filter in the videos, since the video was taken early in the morning, when the sun is behind a hill.  I use ND8 in the middle of the day when the sun is above the camera.

I like the 60 fps setting and when I use the ND4 or ND8 the shutter is usually around 120. I keep it in auto mode because I figure the camera is smarter than me when it comes to optimal settings.  I am also unable to see my screen during most flights due to glare, so I rely on Auto setting.

Maybe everything is fine after the upgrade; I may be looking at things that were like that prior to the upgrade?
2016-7-15
Use props
imovetheearth48
lvl.3
United States

Thank-you for the heads - up on the firmware........download was painless and my Phantom 4 was experiencing those issues.
2016-7-15
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-7-15 14:15
Thanks for the suggestions. Since 2 suggestions were for camera settings, I will look more into the ...

OK, so you got the filter thing covered. So, just "slow your roll" when rotating the P4 during video shoots (use very little left/right left stick), and you should get much smoother video results.
2016-7-16
Use props
3rdIvisions
lvl.1
United States

Flew today with the latest firmware update, everything worked fine. New upgrade definitely fixed my gimbal issues. Thanks dji.
2016-7-16
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I haven't had many nice things to say lately about DJI in general but they must have hired someone new to write this latest p4 software update, my phantom 4 flys like it should now, great. So please no more firmware updates, just leave it alone....
2016-7-17
Use props
mannarchitect
lvl.1

Downloaded easily in the GO App...and my very consistent altitude drop problem is now GONE! Love seeing it level off smoothly when I put on the brakes. I am having video signal stutter on iPad Mini 4 (and not flying more than 1000 feet away). Any thoughts?
2016-7-17
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

mannarchitect Posted at 2016-7-17 14:44
Downloaded easily in the GO App...and my very consistent altitude drop problem is now GONE! Love see ...

Is your iPad getting hot? That's the #1 reason why iPads have stuttering video. I cool mine off between flights using my car's AC.
2016-7-17
Use props
scgene31
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17802 ft
United States

After update my Camera feed back to tablet is very dark along with the video and pictures taken (sunny day), when changed to Manual it brightness back up. Never a problem using auto until today.
2016-7-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules