How would you rate your DJI Phantom 3 experience?
1234Next >
6546 126 2016-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mariuss
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2480515 ft
  • >>>
Norway

kerberos Posted at 2016-8-25 00:56
I had good experience with european support (DJI Netherlands) for a fault battery. Communication was ...

Have you tried to tilt the gimbal in the settings to level it out? or did i miss something?
2016-8-25
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-24 08:30
Yes, you can see the Mod values in the app and it should also be part of a checklist just to make  ...

DJI-Ken

My Gyro is at 0.01
My Acceleration is at 1.00
My Compass is at 1642.73

What should I do?
2016-8-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

UCLABruins Posted at 2016-8-26 01:27
DJI-Ken

My Gyro is at 0.01

Leave the aircraft on a flat surface nothing that's moving on it (kitchen table and check again. If the aircraft flies fine and predictable and not making any movements without stick input then you are fine.Also, do a IMU calibration.
2016-8-25
Use props
darrin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1004731 ft
United States

I went through a lot of drama and lost shots with the original P3S that went on for a couple months only to be made 10x worse with 1.6.8 update..after the RMA i'm having a lot of fun with new craft. Not a single RTH while the bad version every flight was a RTH. Just back from Alaska and flew 7000' out with almost perfect signal..now I smile!!!
cheers D
2016-8-25
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-25 10:31
Leave the aircraft on a flat surface nothing that's moving on it (kitchen table and check again. If ...

Ah....okay. When I took this measurement, I was definitely not on a leveled surface.
Thanks!
2016-8-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

UCLABruins Posted at 2016-8-26 03:00
Ah....okay. When I took this measurement, I was definitely not on a leveled surface.
Thanks!

Level surface AND no vibrations. If your dog runs through the kitchen then do the calibration again.
2016-8-25
Use props
jayjaybean11
lvl.2
Flight distance : 184521 ft
United Kingdom

although i have only had my p3A for 2 days i have already got over 2 hours of flight on my account. it is very easy and simple to fly and the auto features are amazing. cant wait to see what comes from DJI next.
2016-8-25
Use props
JpNL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 428245 ft
Netherlands

My first impression when I unpacked the box was very good. * Wow *
Nice drone.
All charged, installed latest updates, etc, etc
When out for the first flight and that was great.
After a while you begin to know the Phantom and you know how that flies.
Okay, go outside for a distance / height test.
Will you find out that the Phantom still sometimes suffered from "signal lost".
Contacted the supplier.
Answer, not good, send in for repair.

After two weeks of no results, the supplier has sent a new one.
(Top service from RC helicopter Netherlands.)
Unfortunately, it suffered from bad signals.
After a downgrade of the firmware everything was okay again.

After 6 or 7 flights CRANKS by 3 engines.
F ** K, send in for repair again ....
Unfortunately, after much back and forth mailing finally an RMA and UPS label.
Send in for repair and the waiting is over again begun ..
After two weeks nothing fixed,
With the intervention of DJI Paladin went a lot faster.
Why it was not done, was because they had no spare parts.

Finally, after almost two months now I have a great P3S which flies as it should, without cranks, and most important of all "no more signal lost".
Great job by the guys in Barendrecht. (Repair center NL)
They have personally tested the drone, and I even got a free battery for the inconvenience.

unfortunately still takes a lot of effort and energy to get contact.
Not on the forum, but with different departments and countries.

But in the end everything turned out well.

Oh, one more thing.
within two months, three activations of a P3 done on one account.
the DJI-GO app i have three names. and three flight logs, it is possible to change this / erase. and start all over again with the same account. (All counters on 0?)
Regards,

2016-8-25
Use props
kerberos
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2847851 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Mariuss Posted at 2016-8-25 18:49
Have you tried to tilt the gimbal in the settings to level it out? or did i miss something?

Thanks for your reply, yes I did everything is possible on earth. Anyway I don't want to derail the topic, if the situation worsens I'll open a ticket and plan for a replacement, it is still under first year warranty.
2016-8-25
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

kerberos Posted at 2016-8-25 23:36
Thanks for your reply, yes I did everything is possible on earth.  Anyway I don't want to derail ...

Let us know if u figure it out!
2016-8-25
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-25 09:08
Everyone who pre-ordered only got one battery and when ordering DJI even stated that the extra bat ...

The Amazon web page I ordered from did NOT state that batteries were separate.  It was a package deal and the provider said that DJI was responsible for the hold up.  You can spin that any way you like but the problem is squarely on DJI.

P4 did not seem to be much of a technical increment from the P3.  The obstacle avoidance, for example, is not sensitive enough to avoid the things that get you into trouble, like tree limbs.  Large objects, like buildings, are easy to avoid.  Flying with only FPV is not allowed, right?

However, I look forward to seeing the things you're promising, whatever they are.
2016-8-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

spiderbot.sb Posted at 2016-8-26 21:36
The Amazon web page I ordered from did NOT state that batteries were separate.  It was a package de ...

The P3 and P4 difference is HUGE, the whole aircraft is built entirely different.
30ft VPS range instead of ten, dual compasses, dual IMU's, Active Track, Tap Fly, and the obstacle avoidance is incredible.
Do yuo have a P4?
2016-8-26
Use props
heaths.david
New

United Kingdom

I have had a terrible experience with quality issues on the Phantom 3. I am now on  my 4th in as many weeks and that is also going back. Until DJI resolves its quality issues, I would leave well alone. Issues so far were:
1) a gimbal that was DOA.
2) a range of 7 metres before it lost signal.
3) originally had a no signal message (but you could see the picture) which I cured following a hint on Youtube for starting it without the MicroSD card, turning it off again and replacing the MicroSD Card, then followed by a range of 8 metres! Completely useless.
4) Stuck microSD card on arrival.
Unfortunately, whist good when the work, the WHEN is clearly the issue and until quality problems are resolved, I would advise to avoid.
I have spent hours on the help chat screen which with every faulty model and whilst helpful, eventually concluded that each brand new Phantom 3 needed to be repaired.  I have been flying RC helicopters on and off for 15 years and this is without doubt the worst, most troublesome model that I have ever come across. I forgot to mention that it will not work on 2 of my Android tablets (Nexus 7 or Asus8). DJI response is "use another device".
2016-8-29
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

Mariuss Posted at 2016-8-22 16:53
Cant even imagine what features P5 and so on will have!

How about 360 degree obstacle avoidance rather than just in front?
2016-9-1
Use props
opendoor499
lvl.1

Australia

good but being new it feels like flying a kite, as long as there is no obstacles its all good
2016-9-2
Use props
opendoor499
lvl.1

Australia

But lets face it, for the $1500 of plastic in a box its AMAZING, spent thousands on helis, no joy, just lots of spare parts to buy.With the PA3 its absolute joy, and endless possibilities to explore. This is NO TOY.
i LOVE it. i just can't believe how addicted i have become.
2016-9-2
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2016-9-1 19:02
How about 360 degree obstacle avoidance rather than just in front?

That would be a nice feature! Power consuming maybe?
2016-9-2
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

opendoor499 Posted at 2016-9-2 10:32
But lets face it, for the $1500 of plastic in a box its AMAZING, spent thousands on helis, no joy, j ...

DId u pay $1500 for the Advanced?
2016-9-2
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

My P3A has been a good experience except for the price reduction 2 weeks after I had bought mine. I've had zero problems flying but then I have not updated my software and kept it at v1.04.
2016-9-3
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

thumb Posted at 2016-9-3 15:06
My P3A has been a good experience except for the price reduction 2 weeks after I had bought mine. I' ...

Know that feeling!..
2016-9-3
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

Mariuss Posted at 2016-9-2 20:26
That would be a nice feature! Power consuming maybe?

I guess more sensors would take more power, as well as increasing the cost of parts in the manufacturing.

2016-9-5
Use props
mfojas430
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23835 ft

Posting my experience as I said in my previous post.

I've been pretty happy with my P3S I've had since June. From beginning I was pretty impressed. I was excited to get my new "toy" as soon as I ordered. Within 3 days I had it. Easy setup, everything worked well right out of the box. I've had a few experiences with signal loss that I felt were a bit weird. But this isn't my first quad, and I understand these things happen sometimes. Overall, it hasn't really been an issue. When I did lose signal, the quad did what it was supposed to and started RTH. I did have one instance where the transmitter did unlink from the quad for no reason. Again, not a big issues once I figured it out, and just needed a relink.

The reason I held off from posting is because my P3S was out for repair at the time. I noticed what looked like a smudge on the camera lens. It wasn't a smudge or dirt. It seemed to be a defect in the glass or UV filter in the lens. I contacted DJI post-sale support via email stating the issue along with pictures and video and they gave me an RMA and return postage within a day. I missed the fact that I was supposed to send it in within 7 days as I was trying to find a box to use. I contacted post-sale support again and they said just send it in and gave me another return postage label. The total time I was without my quad was 10 days from the day I sent it out to the day I had it back. 6 of those days were shipping out/in. The unit was received, inspected, and repaired within 4 days, all under warranty. No expense to me at all. I was happy with the turnaround time.

It was about a week before I had a chance to inspect my Phantom myself, but everything looked fine. My phone wouldn't pair with the unit at first, but that was due to needing to relink the transmitter. Then I noticed there was a click while rotating the camera upwards. I was a bit upset and worried about this, but thanks to the forum, I found it was just the camera ribbon not completely seated in it's port. Once I pushed it in all the way with my finger, the clicking was gone. I haven't had a chance to test fly my P3S yet, but I'm not expecting to have any issues.

Summary: I'm pretty happy with my experience with DJI. The product works great and my experience with customer service was positive as well. I'd definitely buy another one or upgrade in the future. I'm actually thinking about getting the Osmo Mobile, but I don't think my wife would be too happy with me if I did.
2016-9-5
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

After 8 hours of flight and some amazing shots i'm quite sure my next will be a DJI product, even tho i havent tried anything else in this class. Would upgrade to Lightbridge for sure, if i was to buy a new one today. I havent had any problems with range, in fact i have double the CE range given by DJI themself. But then again everyone with wifi's knows the random "video transmission lost" glitches once the distance get close to max, which is somewhat annoying even tho i happen to see it rarely. Phantom 4 is still way to expensive for what it has compared to 3 Adv-Pro imho.
2016-9-15
Use props
r.powell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

Mariuss Posted at 2016-9-15 04:47
After 8 hours of flight and some amazing shots i'm quite sure my next will be a DJI product, even th ...

I;m flying a Phantom 3 advanced & I must say, I think I got a head start because of where I bought it from,  a small DJI licensed retailer , Canada Drones, The owner spent over 2 hours with me showing me the features, how to update firmware & all the features. Even took me ourtside for a short beginner mode flight,I really believe this gave me a head start in what to do & more so, What not to do!
So, over a month of almost daily flights with no issues, touch wood!
Speaking about the Phantom 5, is there is one, I'd love to see some kind of recovery system included, whether its a small chute, internal tracker, etc,. Also, do you guys feel the overall "look" of the Phantoms, is getting a little dated? Maybe a new body style,
Have you noticed all the Phantom clones coming to market ?
Anyway, I just have to say the abilities that the Phantom adv. will allow you to do, are simply amazing, I flew RC planes, maybe 10-12 years ago, with not much success lemme say, & the technology  since then I find  mind boggling!
Looking forward to the next level of technology , whatever they maybe. With all the new devices coming to the market, maybe DJI will get some competition, which will be great for all of us.
2016-9-16
Use props
warloc59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 209160 ft
  • >>>

So happy after first flight I happy danced on my drone case, crushed it and destroyed my P3P.  
2016-9-24
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

warloc59 Posted at 2016-9-24 22:07
So happy after first flight I happy danced on my drone case, crushed it and destroyed my P3P.

Just have to clarify if serious?
2016-9-24
Use props
mmack
lvl.1

Australia

Very poor experience. I recently bought my second P3 Std and I lose video when the drone gets higher than about 20 metres. I have tried at a number of electrically "quiet" sites and with another controller and it still happens. Not much use to me!

Not so bad that it happened if I could get it covered under warranty, but because I bought it in Hong Kong, DJI won't cover me in Australia. Very poor. Perhaps need to look at Apple's warranty. Mike
2016-9-25
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

mmack Posted at 2016-9-25 10:04
Very poor experience. I recently bought my second P3 Std and I lose video when the drone gets higher ...

Thats bad... How much does DJI charge you if you'll get it fixed?
2016-9-25
Use props
mmack
lvl.1

Australia

Mariuss Posted at 2016-9-26 03:04
Thats bad... How much does DJI charge you if you'll get it fixed?

Thanks Marius for your interest. No I haven't got a price to repair as yet. I was hoping that DJI would demonstrate some customer service and offer to repair through one of their Australian distributors. Wishful thinking! It is such an obvious problem I can'5 believe DJI are so indifferent to my situation. It shouldn'5 matter where you buy the product, the company should take responsibility for a product that is not fit for purpose.
2016-9-25
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

mmack Posted at 2016-9-26 00:13
Thanks Marius for your interest. No I haven't got a price to repair as yet. I was hoping that DJI  ...

I totally agree with you, as long as you can provide an ID of the drone which they can confirm, that should be enough imho. Have you tried to downgrade firmware? Many have had success that way.
2016-9-26
Use props
unsatisfied

Hong Kong

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-9-26
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

Let's see...

On balance I'd have to say "poor".

My own direct experience has been very little, but what little there has been includes no user manual in the box, irritating design features such as having to turn the Phantom on before being able to use the simulator or edit any settings such as RTH height, a truly hideous gimbal lock design and disappointing range (for exampe today I flew to 133 meters directly above my head - and kept losing RC signal, with the display going black and white?

Far MORE off-putting, and seriously lowering my expectations or respect for the company as a whole, are hearing things such as firmware updates that are forced upon us and cause problems, stress cracks and indifferent customer service that seems to be "Send it back to China then, and we'll eventually charge you money for a dirty, unfixed drone some time later." A single such horror story undoes 10 good stories, even 100. I'm also very aware that for every complaint I hear about there must be many I haven't.

On the other hand, people are far more likely to complain online than happy people are likely to post about how happy they are, so there's that?

I should add I'm not anywhere near Europe, but it seems my Standard is dumbed down to CE specs anyway, while a firmware update preventing the use of alternative batteries is simply a slap in the face.

On balance it feels like a new company that doesn't have its act together yet, which is weird, as it's the industry leader for now.

As for the product itself, short range, stupid design features, far too bulky for casual use but excellent when everything comes together. I would say another irritation is how the company, even on its 4th design, still has the same bulky and awkward form factor, still doesn't allow for any folding or easy transport - but it seems they ARE addressing those issues with a foldable model due this week?

All the above are why I almost reluctantly bought a DJI product, and opted for the cheapest one available. Now, if the new foldable version is equal to the P4 but compact, I could be swayed into upgrading. If it has a short battery life though, I'll probably pass.

There ya go, that's my honest feedback. A great product if everything is OK, horror stories in the background, products considered expensive but essentially disposable, because if there's any problem, any problem at all, the customer service is basically "Pay $100+ to post it into some black hole, where, if it ever emerges, it will come back dirty, unfixed and with a hefty bill - so you might as well throw it in the bin and buy a different brand next time".

Is such criticism justified? Maybe, maybe not, but that's my impression so far. It's not a good one.
2016-9-26
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-9-26 14:59
Let's see...

On balance I'd have to say "poor".

I'm not gonna reply on all that, but very good summary on your personal experience which sadly isn't good at all. I've yet to experience the customer service on first hand; lets just say my expectations isnt high, which again, isn't good at all. I cant understand some of the warranty policies regarding "licensed" stores and completely new drones which have errors. Isn't a pre-sale test a big yes in this kind of industry?
2016-9-26
Use props
Sebb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I ve flown P2 Vision and P2+Gopro4black as they became available and was extremely happy with these products.

When the P4 came out I grabbed a discounted P3P and that is a bit of a mixed bag. Technically - I am deeply impressed what sub 1000€ can buy you these days. It is a quite serious aerial video platform with amazing options, also due to SDK and apps like Litchi. Range is great, video quality very good and it's just great to see how DJI has evolved this aspects of consumer drones. But from reliability standpoint - i must say that i am disappointed. I ve had many issues with gimbal losing stability in certain situations, not being able to calibrate compass no matter what i tried, aircraft not connecting properly, SD card errors I couldnt resolve and firmware issues. Due to that I have missed many flights / lost footage, including in locations where I wasnt able to return to, places like early morning in Hong Kong or divine sunset on the baltic sea. In contrast, the P2s flew very reliable and I cannot recall a single instance where I missed out due to tech issues.
But over time I hope to spend more time with it and get a hang of all issues eventually. I understand those things are very complex and have many potential points of failure.

Either way, I m a huge fan of DJI products. I think their products have an incredible value and brought 4K aerial videography into the hands of many amateurs and will continue to be customer.

2016-9-27
Use props
Young Old Timer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1795 ft
United Kingdom

I rate my experience as totally CRAP especially the customer support {:4_142:}
2016-9-27
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

Update - aside from making it waterproof, DJI have answered my every prayer with the Mavic, presuming it's for real (yes, it's so good I'm actually in a state of disbelief...)

If the Mavic is what DJI say it is, and they keep the price point as announced, then 1. I'll buy it and 2. All is forgiven!
2016-9-27
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-9-27 19:33
Update - aside from making it waterproof, DJI have answered my every prayer with the Mavic, presumin ...

How can they increase the range within that small controller is my question, have they upgraded the lightbridge (the gain is still the same)?
2016-9-27
Use props
Jake X380 & P3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

I believe your percentages are wrong. The top four, very good, good, average and poor should be averaged together. The other four should be averaged together by themselves. These two groups are separate from each other and should be treated as such. So the real results would be:
Very good 83%, Good 7%, Average 6% and Poor 3%.
2016-9-28
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Jake X380 & P3S Posted at 2016-9-28 22:44
I believe your percentages are wrong. The top four, very good, good, average and poor should be aver ...

Whats the point of averaging here? They are all customer scores with optional to grade their satisfaction. And if i were to average, why wouldnt i take the top five to get equal in both directions? And for the last three, i dont see how one could compare them any other way than it's currently displayed?
2016-9-29
Use props
S6XR9OXS8NAX
lvl.1

Germany

the P3P and the DJI service is horrible - please check my post here before considering it: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D369%26typeid%3D369
2016-9-30
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules