Canada

that one youtube video shows the massive amounts of problems the osmo has
2016-12-15
Use props
fansa7077f18
lvl.2
Flight distance : 368579 ft
United States

So I don't know if this was ever really resolved, but I had this issue with the osmo I bought today, using an iPhone 6S+. Thought it was the OIS, installed Filmic to try and at least make it better, and had no change. The footage was jittery enough to be unusable and I started but to think about returning it but then I decided to try osmo gimbal with only my iPhone camera app. Turns out that totally fixed the issue. No smart features, but the video button works as does the trigger, and it's buttery smooth. I think filmic and DJI go just suck.
2016-12-15
Use props
UdoG
lvl.2

Germany

Strange - no problems with the iPhone app? Could someone please confirm this?
What are about time lapse with the DJI app - it's buttery smooth too?
2016-12-16
Use props
Zoti
lvl.3
Flight distance : 101526 ft
United States

UdoG Posted at 2016-12-16 14:45
Strange - no problems with the iPhone app? Could someone please confirm this?
What are about time lapse with the DJI app - it's buttery smooth too?

It's less pronounced in the iPhone app and in ProCam.
2016-12-16
Use props
Deho
lvl.2
France

Zoti Posted at 2016-12-16 23:28
It's less pronounced in the iPhone app and in ProCam.

Do you have an explanation to that ? None of these app deactivate OIS ...
Is ProCam triggered by the Osmo button or its own  button ?
Thank you
2016-12-17
Use props
fansb232ce9d
lvl.1

United States

I have the ProCam app and purchased the 4K Max for 4.99. When you purchase, it says that it disables and does not use any ois system and is recommended to use a tripod. It seems to work pretty good but have not been outside to film due to the extreme low temps. Let me know if anyone else has tried or had any luck
2016-12-18
Use props
TB21
New

Germany

Hello from Germany. Bought yesterday the Osmo mobile for using it with an iPhone 7+.
There is no way to film smooth with the DJI Go App. With Filmic Pro and disabled OIS it works well!!
Same problems...
2016-12-20
Use props
UdoG
lvl.2

Germany

You said "With Filmic Pro and disabled OIS it works well!!" This is strange, because several people (and YouTube video's) don't confirm this. Do you have an example?
I would be happy if this issue will be solved in the future. Everything looks fine with other gimbal - it seems like a DJI problem.
2016-12-20
Use props
TB21
New

Germany

I will upload a comparison video
2016-12-21
Use props
CarloUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I have the iPhone 7 and the issue is very bad. Ive decided to only use the Osmo for non video operation and instead have got the GoPro Karma for video which is way smoother and no rubber banding.
2016-12-21
Use props
ericamity
lvl.2

United States

CarloUK Posted at 2016-12-22 04:11
I have the iPhone 7 and the issue is very bad. Ive decided to only use the Osmo for non video operation and instead have got the GoPro Karma for video which is way smoother and no rubber banding.

FiLMiC Pro is the app to use. Turning off image stabilization in FiLMiC Pro makes the problem worse. Leave it on. Turning the image stabilization off in FiLMiC does NOT turn off the iPhone's OIS. I've tested extensively and what I state above is true.

For best results with the iPhone 7 Plus, use the 2x lens. The 2x lens does not utilize OIS. Of course you won't get the wide angle, but you'll get MUCH smoother footage. You can force use of the 2x lens in FiLMiC.

If you want to use the 28mm lens (or if you only have the iPhone 7), try shooting more close-up shots. You'll get much better results. Also, you simply MUST work on holding the phone as steady as possible. Perfect your walk. Keep the caffeine level low. ;)

Here's a video I made using the iPhone 7 Plus and the Osmo Mobile. I used the 2x lens for the beach shots and the 28mm lens for the zoo lights.

2016-12-22
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

ericamity Posted at 2016-12-23 02:32
FiLMiC Pro is the app to use. Turning off image stabilization in FiLMiC Pro makes the problem worse. Leave it on. Turning the image stabilization off in FiLMiC does NOT turn off the iPhone's OIS. I've tested extensively and what I state above is true.

For best results with the iPhone 7 Plus, use the 2x lens. The 2x lens does not utilize OIS. Of course you won't get the wide angle, but you'll get MUCH smoother footage. You can force use of the 2x lens in FiLMiC.

Thanks for sharing.   Lincoln city?   I miss the abundance of trees in Oregon, though the beach doesn't look as nice as those of California's
2016-12-22
Use props
ericamity
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-12-23 15:26
Thanks for sharing.   Lincoln city?   I miss the abundance of trees in Oregon, though the beach doesn't look as nice as those of California's

You're welcome! Yep, Lincoln City. It's a beautiful spot (if you can handle the rain).
2016-12-23
Use props
wanderingbrowni
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45830 ft
Belgium

Jimmyb Posted at 2016-12-12 01:34
I raised a dispute through PayPal due to the Osmo mobile being not as described and was succesful in getting a refund despite DJI's questionable refund policy.
All credit card companies and banks (for debit card transactions) should do the same if you want to return it.

I just created a dispute as you have. That thing has not been used since the issue came up. Totally misleading and unusable.
2016-12-24
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

ericamity Posted at 2016-12-22 13:32

Can you elaborate on your statement regarding Filimic Pro? You state is "is" the app to use, yet also claim that Filmic Pro without IS makes the problem worse. Or do you mean the problem is not there when leaving Filmic Pro IS turned on?

Regarding the issue itself... I understand it is not possible to deactive the hardware IS in the iPhone. Some have suggested that the problem is dual competiting IS systems. If so, wouldn't it be possible to turn off any IS algorithims in the software and simply work with/use the IS in the camera? Just "thinking out loud."
2016-12-24
Use props
wanderingbrowni
lvl.2
Belgium

wanderingbrowni Posted at 2016-12-24 05:40
I just created a dispute as you have. That thing has not been used since the issue came up. Totally misleading and unusable.

Answer from DJI Support (quote):
This device is still at testing stage with our developers...

So basically, you have released a product that doesn't work as advertised because you're still testing it? Great job.
2016-12-29
Use props
Jimmyb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31621 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

wanderingbrowni Posted at 2016-12-29 04:54

I wouldn't waste time with DJI support, they will just fob you off. just make a plain and simple case to Paypal that the Osmo mobile is significantly not as described as there is no mention of it not being compatible with certain phones, and DJI are not adhering to Distance Selling Regulations (if you are in the EU).  It takes a little while to process but get the dispute escalated to PayPal for a decision.
2016-12-29
Use props
Travelling Dron
lvl.2
Canada

actually i went on the support chat as well and I figured out my problem by myself, the person said like 4 things to me the whole time and took forever to respond. It's by far the worse customer service out of any company i've ever dealt with, i had better help from groups on facebook.
2016-12-29
Use props
JoshuaA
lvl.1

Canada

I ended up getting a ZSII, I'm happy with it, I also got a Z Crane for my 5DIV.

I haven't checked dji's latest page or their retailers like Apple but there should be a disclaimer that these may have performance issues with a smartphone's hardware OIS. Additionally I think some sort of goodwill gesture like a small credit towards other dji products would help those that can't return. I'm not anti-dji, I'm still interested in a Mavic.
2016-12-31
Use props
UdoG
lvl.2

Germany

ZSII = Z1 Smooth II ? Which iphone - 7 or 7 plus?And so far no problems with OIS?
2017-1-1
Use props
Artifex
lvl.1
Belgium

Hello and happy New Year !

I've just created this account to discuss the DJI Osmo Mobile because I'm actually very interested in this product. I'm going to New Zealand from January 2017 to July 2017 and some of you probably know that the landscapes there are just gorgeous. Although I won't be on vacation all the time, I will be able to discover the country. Yesterday, I read a lot about the DJI Osmo Mobile, I was firstly very impressed by the quality (the famous iPhonedo video which is like an ad for example) and then a little bit disappointed by the many problems with the OIS. I need to change my phone and will certainly go for the iPhone 7+. The problem is the compatibility with the Osmo Mobile, there is a kind of "battle" between the smartphone OIS (which, if I understand well, cannot be disabled even in some apps because it's hardware and not software) and the Osmo OIS. I watched several videos and the problem disappears when it's another phone (like an iPhone 6), the front camera of the 7+ or even the 2x lense because of the lack of OIS.

BUT, I watched other videos about the 7+ while using the Osmo Mobile (with the normal lense) and some people say that the result is still impressive for a $300 accessory (remember, it's not a RED camera with a professional gimbal) and the "ninja walk" can reduce the jitters and the wobbling effect.

I just don't know whom to believe ! Some people have also mentioned other gimbals but it's certainly the same technology so I don't think the potential problem will disappear. The DJI Osmo or Osmo+ simply eliminates the problem but is it worth it ? I watch a video recorded with the Osmo+ and the stabilisation was still not perfect, I think it really depends on the walk. Another option is an hybrid camera with a great video mode, like the Panasonic GX80. But the stabilisation will probably be bad because it hasn't a gimbal.

In a nutshell, will I get good results with an iPhone 7+ and the Osmo Mobile if I'm very careful while walking or is it purely and simply a bad choice with a phone with OIS ?

Thanks ! ;)
2017-1-2
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Artifex Posted at 2017-1-2 06:54
Hello and happy New Year !

I've just created this account to discuss the DJI Osmo Mobile because I'm actually very interested in this product. I'm going to New Zealand from January 2017 to July 2017 and some of you probably know that the landscapes there are just gorgeous. Although I won't be on vacation all the time, I will be able to discover the country. Yesterday, I read a lot about the DJI Osmo Mobile, I was firstly very impressed by the quality (the famous iPhonedo video which is like an ad for example) and then a little bit disappointed by the many problems with the OIS. I need to change my phone and will certainly go for the iPhone 7+. The problem is the compatibility with the Osmo Mobile, there is a kind of "battle" between the smartphone OIS (which, if I understand well, cannot be disabled even in some apps because it's hardware and not software) and the Osmo OIS. I watched several videos and the problem disappears when it's another phone (like an iPhone 6), the front camera of the 7+ or even the 2x lense because of the lack of OIS.

According to what I see so far, some people have better results with Osmo Mobile + iPhone7 / 6sp / 7p combo,  no visual shakiness. But not for others.  Why this inconsistency shows is unclear to me.
2017-1-3
Use props
fansdc7cfe03
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Is this just an iPhone issue?
2017-1-3
Use props
Artifex
lvl.1
Belgium

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-1-3 00:35
According to what I see so far, some people have better results with Osmo Mobile + iPhone7 / 6sp / 7p combo,  no visual shakiness. But not for others.  Why this inconsistency shows is unclear to me.

Okay, I will buy the Osmo Mobile then. I watched videos yesterday on Youtube and read the comments : it's possible to get a great result with some training ;) I think it's still an awesome accessory for videos !
2017-1-3
Use props
Artifex
lvl.1
Belgium

fansdc7cfe03 Posted at 2017-1-3 02:52
Is this just an iPhone issue?

All phones with OIS which means some iPhone and some Android phones. But I'm convinced it's possible to record great videos with some training ;)
2017-1-3
Use props
The Law
New

Indonesia

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-1-3 00:35

So basically u were sayin that osmo mobile works fine with iphone 7? well.. i bought osmo mobile about 2 months ago when i'm still using the iphone 6s, the shots were perfectly smooth, but two weeks ago i started using iphone 7 and as u know,. the bobblin effect is annoying.. i've tried 3rd party apps such filmicpro and procam, the results are nothing compared to the shots i made with my iphone 6s. I'm desperate, i'm not completely blaming DJI on this issue, but it seems that neither DJI or Apple come out n try to solve this issue, please both of u , tried to communicate to each other, DJI is a big and pro company that i believe has the power to push Apple on this matter since Apple is selling dji osmo mobile as well on their webstore. please no more "ninja walk" or "phone size" explanation, just try to sit down grab some coffee and talk to each other , both of u, the big pro companies that we trust, solve this, do not feed us the explanations that we've known already, its the OIS problems, solve it.. solve it ...do try to solve it...,

your loyal customer
2017-1-3
Use props
Artifex
lvl.1
Belgium

The Law Posted at 2017-1-3 03:40
So basically u were sayin that osmo mobile works fine with iphone 7? well.. i bought osmo mobile about 2 months ago when i'm still using the iphone 6s, the shots were perfectly smooth, but two weeks ago i started using iphone 7 and as u know,. the bobblin effect is annoying.. i've tried 3rd party apps such filmicpro and procam, the results are nothing compared to the shots i made with my iphone 6s. I'm desperate, i'm not completely blaming DJI on this issue, but it seems that neither DJI or Apple come out n try to solve this issue, please both of u , tried to communicate to each other, DJI is a big and pro company that i believe has the power to push Apple on this matter since Apple is selling dji osmo mobile as well on their webstore. please no more "ninja walk" or "phone size" explanation, just try to sit down grab some coffee and talk to each other , both of u, the big pro companies that we trust, solve this, do not feed us the explanations that we've known already, its the OIS problems, solve it.. solve it ...do try to solve it...,

your loyal customer

Hi,

I currently don't own an Osmo Mobile but I saw great footages on YouTube with an iPhone 7/7+, so I think it's possible to have a great result. Although there is a real problem with the OIS, the video is still usable if you are talented.

This video for example :

Impressing result with the 7+, right ? ;)
2017-1-4
Use props
The Law
New

Indonesia

Artifex Posted at 2017-1-4 02:15
Hi,

I currently don't own an Osmo Mobile but I saw great footages on YouTube with an iPhone 7/7+, so I think it's possible to have a great result. Although there is a real problem with the OIS, the video is still usable if you are talented.

Believe me , it was way way way more impressing when you use the phones without OIS, i know because i"m an owner of osmo mobile and i've been using that with 6s before for about two monhs, until i upgrade to iphone 7 bout two weeks ago, the bobbing and jittery effects caused by OIS is awful compared to when u use osmo with iphone without OIS
2017-1-4
Use props
Artifex
lvl.1
Belgium

The Law Posted at 2017-1-4 03:13
Believe me , it was way way way more impressing when you use the phones without OIS, i know because i"m an owner of osmo mobile and i've been using that with 6s before for about two monhs, until i upgrade to iphone 7 bout two weeks ago, the bobbing and jittery effects caused by OIS is awful compared to when u use osmo with iphone without OIS

I don't deny that but I found the result of the video above still acceptable ;)
2017-1-4
Use props
Liberty
lvl.1
Switzerland

wanderingbrowni Posted at 2016-12-29 04:54

I am not sure what is worst whether the technical issue or the treatment provided in the post-sales which is close to a scam. I have been redirected 5 times in the support / pre-sale chat to different teams and finally to an onlinesales@ adresss from which I am still waiting for an answer since a month. If anyone wants to team up with me I am planning to raise this with European consumer protection bodies  please contact me: carles.x.torres@gmail.com.
2017-1-4
Use props
Liberty
lvl.1
Switzerland

Travelling Dron Posted at 2016-12-29 17:55
actually i went on the support chat as well and I figured out my problem by myself, the person said like 4 things to me the whole time and took forever to respond. It's by far the worse customer service out of any company i've ever dealt with, i had better help from groups on facebook.

I tried 5 times already... this is close to scam. Try consumer protection agencies.

2017-1-4
Use props
fansdc4069cd
lvl.2
United Kingdom

The support chat, also informed me that the DJI Mobile was NOT compatible with the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

Surprised to see DJI using a silver iPhone 7 Plus in their official promo video for the new silver version of the OSMO Mobile.....

Official DJI Osmo Mobile Silver Video

2017-1-4
Use props
The Law
New

Indonesia

fansdc4069cd Posted at 2017-1-4 13:23
The support chat, also informed me that the DJI Mobile was NOT compatible with the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

Surprised to see DJI using a silver iPhone 7 Plus in their official promo video for the new silver version of the OSMO Mobile.....

Oh my, how could they? or perhaps that commercial was made long before the OIS issues surfaced ?
actually it works with the iphone 7+. But you have to use the 2x tele camera which doesnt have OIS. But then again , not everyone has iphone 7+. And even if i had an iphone 7+, i would want to use osmo mobile with the normal wide angle camera, not the 2x tele camera. Why DJI why.. oh my...
2017-1-4
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

The Law Posted at 2017-1-3 03:40

your loyal customer

I was saying it works well for some peoples iPhone 7, but not with others. The reason of this difference is unknown to me.

DJI doesn't regard the OIS issue some people are experiencing as defects, and advise people to ninja walk to achieve stabilizing results.  This is an official policy. And refunding request citing this reason will be denied.   

2017-1-4
Use props
9s5eTxuUCFVM
lvl.4
United States

I believe this ois issue will be present in any gimbals you use.
I've used 2 different gimbals from  different companies other than DJI and it's the same thing. So unless there really is a way to turn off ois you really can't blame this on DJI as all other image stabilization devices display the same effects.
2017-1-4
Use props
wanderingbrowni
lvl.2
Belgium

PayPal did not rule in my favor so I will go ahead and escalate this to the ECC.
2017-1-5
Use props
paxos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 335860 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI released a silver version of the OSMO. Issue resolved!! oh wait..
2017-1-5
Use props
LIPEFILMES
lvl.1
Brazil

Good Morning!  I bought my Osmo Mobile and used it with my Iphone 6. It always worked very well. Recently I bought an iphone 7 plus, and with a little bit of fear I went to test at Osmo.  Record using a wide lens, the filmic pro and edito no imovie.  Follow the result of the video, I did not notice much difference of the result that I had with the iphone 6. So far I liked the result.  Video Link: [url=Good Morning!  I bought my Osmo Mobile and used it with my Iphone 6. It always worked very well. Recently I bought an iphone 7 plus, and with a little bit of fear I went to test at Osmo.  Record using a wide lens, the filmic pro and edito no imovie.  Follow the result of the video, I did not notice much difference of the result that I had with the iphone 6. So far I liked the result.  Video Link:  
2017-1-6
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

LIPEFILMES Posted at 2017-1-6 17:15
Good Morning!  I bought my Osmo Mobile and used it with my Iphone 6. It always worked very well. Recently I bought an iphone 7 plus, and with a little bit of fear I went to test at Osmo.  Record using a wide lens, the filmic pro and edito no imovie.  Follow the result of the video, I did not notice much difference of the result that I had with the iphone 6. So far I liked the result.  Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty1lt1O60K0

Looks very good to me
2017-1-7
Use props
Artifex
lvl.1
Belgium

Yeah, that video looks very nice ! ;)

I have a question though : I discovered on Facebook a new smartphone stabilizer : the FlowMotion One. It's now a project on Kickstarter but will come out around April 2017. The project team answered to a comment which was "it's the same as the Osmo Mobile" by saying "no, because our product will work well with smartphones with OIS like the 7/7+". Do you think it's true ?

There is currently no video on YT about this product but it seems like it's famous on Kickstarter.
2017-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules