(RESOLVED) Need help. Phantom 4 Battery AGAIN! CLOSE CALL.
2907 25 2016-10-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
keiser08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 446355 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey there it is me again John I'm currently having possible issue with my battery that was recently sent by DJI as a replacement which was obviously used and possibly damaged. It was charged 7 times and had a 31 history.

HISTORY
My history with the battery started since sept 7 when one of the battery which was used maybe 1-2 times had this metal prong protruding on the teeth/cartridge/connector whatever you call it. Because of this metal protruding it was difficult for me to insert it in my P4 or the charger. After the long process on DJI support it was sent to DJI north america. They replaced it with a used battery (instead of a new one even though i was on warranty and the battery was 14 days old and was used a few times) as stated above. It took them 1 month to replace the damaged battery.

ISSUE
So i got this battery 082AD1F03102ZY. A used battery with visible scratches, lots of bended plastic at the left side outer plastic(possibly from a crash?) Because of the said condition I decided not to use it till i try it. Flew the P4 for 10 mins in a steady state 5-10 feet stationary with no problem. I was relieved after that. I decided to just land it, remove the propellers and keep the P4 on while i play around with the controller, when suddenly the critically low voltage warning came up even though I still had like 28% battery and battery is not too warm or too cold. Kept the P4 on while writing this thread when another error popped out air encorder error (0x20). This is the first time this came up for me, tried the other battery but the air encoder error doesn't came up.

Can anyone give me advise on what to do with this? My honeymoon is almost up on november 8 and I really needed a 3rd battery. I was planning to just buy a new battery and then get a reimbursement because if I waited for DJI it will take another month and consume my time/effort sending them pictures videos etc. In case they don't replace the battery I will just post on all social media and warn them about DJI's customer service, "is it worth to get the mavic? become the beta tester, and experience the worst customer service" I'll just honestly tell them my experience.

Ill try to provide some pictures soon.

battery damaged.png
critically low vo,ltage.png
2016-10-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You should not have used the battery when you knew it wasn't yours or it wasn't new, send it back demand your money back and go buy a proper one.
2016-10-7
Use props
keiser08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-7 14:53
You should not have used the battery when you knew it wasn't yours or it wasn't new, send it back de ...

The thing is it is norm for DJI to send you a different drone or battery as replacement for a warrantied item. I've seen it before that's is why i didn't complain and wanted to try this first.
2016-10-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

keiser08 Posted at 2016-10-7 22:57
The thing is it is norm for DJI to send you a different drone or battery as replacement for a warr ...

I see on this forum it does happen good luck with changing it they shouldn't give you a different battery unless it's new.
2016-10-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-8 09:13
I see on this forum it does happen good luck with changing it they shouldn't give you a different  ...

It is in the pulished DJI warranty conditions that they may replace you faulty item with a refurbished item. You agree to those conditinos at purchase, so in reality, you have already agreed to that clause.
2016-10-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Geebax Posted at 2016-10-8 00:14
It is in the pulished DJI warranty conditions that they may replace you faulty item with a refurbi ...

Not to sure what consumer law is in US or Australia ,but in Europe there is protection against this , if your sold faulty goods you are entitled to return and have them repaired once or be reimbursed you do not have to accept refurbished or secondhand goods, if you have to return a second time you are entitled to a refund, so this may have been in your contract but it is not in mine, dji would not be allowed to sell there goods in Europe under those conditions.
2016-10-7
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

u got records on your old battery i think, in the app.. open a support case and request either a new or one with similar use as your old - the app should keep track of how many flights, how many charges...  I know healthydrones does well.... either way, open a case and check what they are willing to do for you....
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello John, really sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience, the temperature is proper when flying, and were you flying aggressively like full throttle when "critical low voltage" occurred?
The firmware is up to date, right? and you have full-discharged the battery then charged it again? how about the battery info after it's fully-charged on the APP?
If all has been done, and still the same case with this battery, you could contact our tech support to send it in for further analysis.
Besides, "air encoder error" pops out again or not?
2016-10-7
Use props
keiser08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-7 15:13
I see on this forum it does happen good luck with changing it they shouldn't give you a different  ...

That is true. I don't why they cant just send me a brand new battery. Worst is this battery came from dji north america repair center who does repair. They probably sent me a battery that was sent with the P4 which was in an accident or crash. Those bend plastic cant just come from wear and tear.
2016-10-8
Use props
keiser08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-10-7 16:14
It is in the pulished DJI warranty conditions that they may replace you faulty item with a refurbi ...

Oh i didn't know that. But it is still not a good reason to replace your brand new defective battery with a used bad battery which came from a crash. Look at those bent plastic it is only on one side. I doubt it came from wear and tear.
2016-10-8
Use props
keiser08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-7 16:38
Not to sure what consumer law is in US or Australia ,but in Europe there is protection against thi ...

I hope we have that too in america but i'm not sure.
2016-10-8
Use props
keiser08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-10-7 17:56
u got records on your old battery i think, in the app.. open a support case and request either a new ...

Thanks. I already contacted DJI and asking for a brand new battery. I suffered long enough, waited a month for my battery. Lost 20+ mins of fly time on my days off.
2016-10-8
Use props
keiser08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-10-7 18:57
Hello John, really sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience, the temperature is proper when fl ...

I was flying on the first 20 mins in just one area, stationary 5-10 feet because i was testing the battery if it is faulty or not, no error came up. I landed the P4 then remove the propellers and left the P4 on because I was playing with the RC. 5 mins of playing with the RC the error came up. P4 wasn't even flying so why would the critically low voltage come up. Temperature was good in my room not too warm not too cold. Restarted P4 to check if it is going to come up but this time it is the air encoder error 0x20.

Firmware is up to date. I havent fully discharged the battery as it was send by dji north america as a replacement. Everything was green and working fine on the dji app. I haven't played with it yet because I got work at night.

Thanks for the reply DJi natalia but would you recommend me to use this battery again? Can wear and tear bent those plastic like that on one side. This battery seems to be on a crash for me I just don't want to risk my P4 because I'm sure if my P4 crash because of the battery I would not get any replacement from DJI. I think it is best just to return this battery and replace it with new one.

2016-10-8
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

keiser08 Posted at 2016-10-8 16:40
I was flying on the first 20 mins in just one area, stationary 5-10 feet because i was testing the  ...

Hi John, thanks for your details and sorry for any inconvenience caused. Just as you mentioned, the best course was to send it in for further evaluation.
2016-10-8
Use props
keiser08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-10-8 01:55
Hi John, thanks for your details and sorry for any inconvenience caused. Just as you mentioned, th ...

Thanks for the reply DJI Natalia. I appreciate your reply and we know the DJI people here in the forum works hard. The problem is DJI technical and customer service. I already send a message and waiting for my RMA process.
2016-10-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

keiser08 Posted at 2016-10-8 09:08
I hope we have that too in america but i'm not sure.

I wish you good luck, hope everything goes well
2016-10-8
Use props
keiser08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-8 02:31
I wish you good luck, hope everything goes well

Thanks. I really hope they replace it soon.
2016-10-8
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
Flight distance : 357503 ft
United Kingdom

IF that battery come from a crashed p4 and i suspect it has by the damage on it!! should DJI really be sending out something thats been in in accident?? like cars in the uk after a crash they are placed into certain catagory that deems them safe to return to road or have to be crushed/salvage!

Somethig like a battery thats a critical part of the drone thats clearly been in a accident, be returned to service?? what happens if that bettery fails and your drone crashes!!?? serioulsy DJI its a acident waiting to happen and also destroy someones well earned drone, then left again to prove the fault wasnt pilot error and was a battery issue mid flight??

WHAT HAPPENS IF THEY TAKE A HOLIDAY GET ON A PLANE AND THAT BATTERY EXPLODED?? IN MID AIR DUE TO IT BEING CRASHED!!! AND YOU SENT IT OUT AGAIN!! DJI "EXPLAIN THAT!!"

Even if i dropped my battery onto a hard floor outside id think twice about flying with it again, anything could have happend..

Should a crashed/shown signs of damage battery be returned to a "paying customer" MOST DEFINATELY NOT!!! shame on you DJI

sorry but things like this make me a little angry because its ok they have our money and fob us off with crap customer service (from what iv read) long delays mix ups the list is endless, only credit i can give is the the DJI guys here who get involved and move things along swiftly. users must agree about the battery situation??? look at samsung and the new note for instance!!!
2016-10-8
Use props
keiser08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sky Mike Posted at 2016-10-8 10:49
IF that battery come from a crashed p4 and i suspect it has by the damage on it!! should DJI really  ...

You're on point. Thanks for that input. So far it is all speculation that it came from a crash but judging from the picture above wear and tear couldn't cause that bent plastic especially since its only been charged 6-7 times. And also the battery came from DJI north america repair services so more likely that battery is one of those battery returned for repair or came from an incident. I'm actually worried now regarding the battery because it is difficult for me to place it in the battery hub and on to my P4 it seems bigger maybe from swelling?
2016-10-8
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
United Kingdom

keiser08 Posted at 2016-10-9 06:23
You're on point. Thanks for that input. So far it is all speculation that it came from a crash but  ...

Hi, i would personally look into what restrictions there are in "sending" "posting" damaged batteries out or known to have had some damage or been involved in a incident where they could potentially of been damaged. In your case the outer case has been damahed and shows signs of damage, now!, after doing a little google it is actually shocking to see how strict the guild lines are on "posting" "dispatching" batteries through delivery compainies, heres a small section i found from a PDF from a large delivery company..

January 2016
2016 Lithium Batteries Regulations
Defective / Damaged Batteries:
company will
NOT
accept any shipments with lithium batteries (ion or metal) that are
confirmed or suspected
to be defective* and/or damaged
(regardless of how the condition is and in whichever quantities
).  
company will
NOT
accept any batteries that have been recalled by the battery supplier/manufacturer nor any
waste batteries meant for recycling or disposal purposes (regardless of condition).

A defective battery may not exhibit any damage at all!
Any equipment packed with or containing lithium batteries (in particular equipment returned for repair
purposes as part of reverse logistics/service parts program) exhibiting above mentioned condition, must
have the
batteries removed
from the equipment in order to be accepted for carriage with company.
2016-10-8
Use props
keiser08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wow perfect timing. I recently started a topic kinda related to that. That is what I'm worried about if they ask me to send this battery to them. What if it exploded or causes fire. Here is the link http://forum.dji.com/thread-65907-1-1.html
2016-10-8
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
United Kingdom

keiser08 Posted at 2016-10-9 07:09
Wow perfect timing. I recently started a topic kinda related to that. That is what I'm worried about ...

I guess what you should do is ring each individual delivery company and explain the situation, what the iten is, what possible situation it could have involved in and the symtoms its showing, if faulty id suspect they would decline and offer advice to dispose of it safely.....
2016-10-9
Use props
keiser08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sky Mike Posted at 2016-10-9 02:02
I guess what you should do is ring each individual delivery company and explain the situation, wha ...

That's true but what if DJI will tell me if you don't send it they will not send a replacement.
2016-10-9
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
United Kingdom

keiser08 Posted at 2016-10-9 16:12
That's true but what if DJI will tell me if you don't send it they will not send a replacement.

iv no idea my friend, contact someone in Bureau of Consumer Protection and explain your situation, i guess there different from usa to uk so im unable to offer any advice
2016-10-9
Use props
keiser08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Just want to give update. This issue had been resolved. I got a better battery that works. It is in near mint condition. Only problem it has is it is difficult to remove when connected to the P4 otherwise working well. Happy customer here. Continue the good work DJI.
2016-10-31
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

keiser08 Posted at 2016-11-1 13:08
Just want to give update. This issue had been resolved. I got a better battery that works. It is in  ...

Thank you so much for updating, glad to hear it's working fine now, enjoy it please.
2016-10-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules