Video Stuttering on Osmo Mobile
7013 20 2016-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
miles_armstrong
lvl.1
Netherlands

I have just received my Osmo Mobile have been running a few test videos. What I have noticed is that when using the DJI Go App for video (and set to 1080p) the video stutters every few frames. It might be when there is a lot of movement on screen. I have tried the same videos using my Samsung S7 edge inbuilt video app and there is no problem. Have other people experienced this issue and is this a common issue? I haven't tried the lower resolutions yet as I would like to use the highest resolution possible.
Is there a way to set the recording destination (such as sd card)? I haven't found the setting yet.
2016-10-11
Use props
Nick Martin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Yep same here, and here's my workaround.

I don't use the DJI Go app, but instead use the native S7 camera app. In Pro mode and with a flat colour profile, and you can set it to write to your SD card.

Two steps to stop the glitches ( dropped frames )...

1. Close all background apps before starting to film.

2. Buy a FAST microSD card. This makes a huge difference. The dropped frames on your video ( stutters ) are most likely caused by the card not being able to write the video data fast enough. Faster card equals faster write speeds.

Hope this helps and it worked for me with a S7 Edge.
2016-10-11
Use props
miles_armstrong
lvl.1
Netherlands

Great. Thanks for the advice. I'll try that until DJI fixes the app.
2016-10-11
Use props
kkodalen159
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475850 ft
United States

miles_armstrong Posted at 2016-10-11 13:46
Great. Thanks for the advice. I'll try that until DJI fixes the app.

"Until DJI fixes the app" - might be waiting awhile, this may be more of a permanent fix.
2016-10-12
Use props
miles_armstrong
lvl.1
Netherlands

I have tested the video using the DJI go app and in even the lowest resolution the video seems to stutter. I can even see that when I'm panning the video drops frames consistently. The video is not smooth.
Is anyone else seeing this?
2016-10-13
Use props
miles_armstrong
lvl.1
Netherlands

In another DJI thread people with the Osmo+ are also experiencing this issue.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-64343-1-1.html

Someone with a Osmo Mobile and Samsung S edge recommended swapping the SD card for a faster one. Seems like an expensive solution when the S7 edge inbuilt video recorder works fine even in 4K.
2016-10-13
Use props
miles_armstrong
lvl.1
Netherlands

I have also tested video just using the DJI app and not the DJI Osmo gimbal. The stuttering is still very noticeable. So it is a software issue.
2016-10-13
Use props
miles_armstrong
lvl.1
Netherlands

The video files are being saved to the internal memory of the Samsung S7 and not sd card. So there is no way to speed this up. Internal memory storage should be fast enough to record DJI video.
2016-10-13
Use props
SCTyobmqjWsD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3599 ft
United States

you should also put your phone on do not disturb so all other notifications will be turned off while recording.
2016-10-13
Use props
Nick Martin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

miles_armstrong Posted at 2016-10-13 15:31
The video files are being saved to the internal memory of the Samsung S7 and not sd card. So there i ...

That's incorrect Miles.. you can change the options to save to a FAST SD card if not using the useless DJI Go app.
2016-10-13
Use props
miles_armstrong
lvl.1
Netherlands

Nick, I was referring to the DJI app. That doesn't have the option to save to a SD card. Samsung's own video app works very well and I don't have any issues. However if I don't use the DJI app I miss out on using the hardware controls on the gimbal (video and photo), also miss out on the active tracking. I have contacted DJI and they have asked for examples of the issue. So I have taken 2 videos. One with the gimbal and the other without all using the DJI app. The stuttering video is apparent in both. I'll send it to DJI and see what they think.
2016-10-14
Use props
deansonetirot
lvl.1
Thailand

miles_armstrong... I'm having the same stuttering problem on my S7 Edge. Did you figure out how to fix this?
2016-10-23
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

miles_armstrong Posted at 2016-10-13 22:31
The video files are being saved to the internal memory of the Samsung S7 and not sd card. So there i ...

Can you upload a video you shot with DJI Go to Dropbox or Google Drive so we can download and analyze? Thank you.

Also what's your Android version, DJI Go version and Osmo Mobile firmware version?  Thank you.
2016-10-24
Use props
deansonetirot
lvl.1
Thailand

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-24 15:41
Can you upload a video you shot with DJI Go to Dropbox or Google Drive so we can download and anal ...

Here is an example from me.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/47uyb4 ... e_Problems.mp4?dl=0

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge + DJI Osmo Mobile + DJI Go app = Terrible video. All firmware is up to date on the phone and app.

Nothing is wrong with the Osmo Mobile itself. I can use it with other video recording apps and there is no problem (just can't use the Osmo mobile buttons). It only happens when using the DJI Go app to record video. The app needs to be fixed.
2016-10-25
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

deansonetirot Posted at 2016-10-25 21:09
Here is an example from me.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/47uyb4 ... e_Problems.mp4?dl=0

Hi, there's a new DJI Go app, 3.0.1, released on October 25th, can you try it  again? Also, what's your Android version? Thank you.
2016-10-25
Use props
deansonetirot
lvl.1
Thailand

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-26 11:14
Hi, there's a new DJI Go app, 3.0.1, released on October 25th, can you try it  again? Also, what's  ...

I have updated the DJI Go app to 3.0.1, seems to be a little bit better. I will need to keep testing to confirm this.
2016-10-26
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

deansonetirot Posted at 2016-10-26 22:32
I have updated the DJI Go app to 3.0.1, seems to be a little bit better. I will need to keep testi ...

Hi, have you tested it? If this issue is still there, please give me a link of the original video, thank you.
2016-10-28
Use props
userf421d6b259
lvl.1

Australia

I have the same problem with the latest firmware, app, Android etc, with my Note 7. Works fine with Samsung video app. Storage is to phone. Pretty disappointing as I was about to also buy a DJI Mavic!
2016-10-29
Use props
deansonetirot
lvl.1
Thailand

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-28 15:44
Hi, have you tested it? If this issue is still there, please give me a link of the original video, ...

I have tested it. Seems to have stopped stuttering (fingers crossed).
2016-10-29
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

deansonetirot Posted at 2016-10-30 13:27
I have tested it. Seems to have stopped stuttering (fingers crossed).

Good to know
2016-10-30
Use props
soundforimages
New

Australia

Here we are, 8 years on and this is still an issue
3-26 00:20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules