Gimbal Obstructed. Auto-Restart in Progress.
123Next >
11949 82 2016-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
YFcmtn8I2OqP
lvl.1

United States

method007 Posted at 2016-10-26 15:09
Ah, I wanted to be the first to make wide sweeping generalizations from anecdotal evidence!

1000% this.
2016-10-26
Use props
jisaksen
lvl.1

United States

method007 Posted at 2016-10-26 13:09
Ah, I wanted to be the first to make wide sweeping generalizations from anecdotal evidence!

I don't get it.  Are you saying, scientifically speaking, a quantity of '1' isn't a sufficient sample size?  I have more to say, but I need to go complain about shipping in another thread.  BRB!
2016-10-26
Use props
Virgil Cameron
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22320 ft
Netherlands

HFI Posted at 2016-10-26 16:38
Hi YF...

Thanks for getting back to me. Mine does not feel like it catches on the damper plate. I ...

damn this sucks
2016-10-26
Use props
YFcmtn8I2OqP
lvl.1

United States

jisaksen@gmail. Posted at 2016-10-26 15:26
I don't get it.  Are you saying, scientifically speaking, a quantity of '1' isn't a sufficient sam ...

I think you're mistaken. Every thread is the complain about shipping thread, so you're definitely in the right place.
2016-10-26
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1638323 ft
United States

YFcmtn8I2OqP Posted at 2016-10-26 13:30
I think you're mistaken. Every thread is the complain about shipping thread, so you're definitely  ...

LOL.  

"Mavic unboxing video AND shipping delays"
2016-10-26
Use props
jisaksen
lvl.1

United States

YFcmtn8I2OqP Posted at 2016-10-26 13:30
I think you're mistaken. Every thread is the complain about shipping thread, so you're definitely  ...

Ha!  Thanks for clearing that up.  I was so blinded by rage that I couldn't see what was right in front of me!  MY COMBO ISN'T HERE YET!!! ;)
2016-10-26
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904990 ft
  • >>>
United States

I will say the DJIs online support in next to useless. I've tried 4 times to send an email and all I got was this. I've also tried maybe 10 times to reload the firmware with the Assistant app and that has failed everytime.
Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 4.45.36 PM.png
2016-10-26
Use props
YFcmtn8I2OqP
lvl.1

United States

HFI Posted at 2016-10-26 10:15
https://youtu.be/EsonpnOJKUE

This is definitely different behavior than mine, despite getting the same error.
2016-10-26
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

HFI thank you It was asking you to move the aircraft.  Do you live in a building that contains a lot of metal?  What happens when you take it outside in an open area and calibrate the compass?  If that does not work, then unfortunately your gimbal may be damaged. Where are you located and where are you moving to?
2016-10-26
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-10-27 05:02
HFI thank you It was asking you to move the aircraft.  Do you live in a building that contains a lot ...

Same thing when I take it outside and compass cali. The gimbal just doesn't want behave anywhere.

I am moving from New Jersey to London. I wanted a drone to use for work while the other are being shipping. Now I have to deal with an RMA when I get there
2016-10-26
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

HFI...  Your problem is not the only damaged Mavic.  I think DJI has an issue with the gimbal lock device & the elastic mounting of the gimbal.  You said your Mavic arrived with the camera dislodged from the gimbal lock.  This other image from another owner shows the camera dislodged in an unboxing video as well.

2016-10-26
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Well at least I wasn't the only one. His gimbal might work for a while and then go awol like mine did. Thanks for posting.
2016-10-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Is this our future, hopefully not
2016-10-26
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

He is not the gentlest of dudes, I did not shake the delivery box to get the Mavic box out, etc but the way the gimbal cover was sitting in the box and clamp was pushing against the camera was pretty much identical to mine.

2016-10-26
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

HFI Posted at 2016-10-26 15:54
He is not the gentlest of dudes, I did not shack the delivery box to get the Mavic box out, etc but  ...

That's good info.

I think the problem is that the gimbal on the Mavic is suspended on an elastic mount.  The gimbal lock device does not secure the entire assembly form shifting out of place due to the elastic mounting.  Therefore it can shift in transit.  (As seen in this video.)  Previous Phantom drones came with plastic "pegs" that had to be removed to allow the elastic movment of the gimabal.  The Mavic does not seem to have these holding "pegs" that secure the gimbal in transit.  Unfortunately the gimbal locking device does not appear to be doing it's intended task of "locking" the gimbal for transport.
2016-10-26
Use props
hwkidd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

HFI Posted at 2016-10-26 15:54
He is not the gentlest of dudes, I did not shack the delivery box to get the Mavic box out, etc but  ...

again, a damaged inter case, upper corner,  shipping or packing,  
2016-10-26
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Here is yet another unboxing showing a dislodged camera...

2016-10-26
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Personally having installed them several times I think the gimbal clamp and cover should work fine if installed properly.
2016-10-26
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

This is what the gimbal lock is supposed to look like when properly installed.

2016-10-26
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

HFI Posted at 2016-10-26 18:46
Well at least I wasn't the only one. His gimbal might work for a while and then go awol like mine di ...

Gah. So only a few of these have arrived for forum members and several are experiencing gimbal problems out of the box?

I know how long you have waited, but if that was me opening up a $1K+ product that is having problems out of the box and only offers a 7 day return period... I would return it and wait for future batches that have a better build quality reputation.

This is why I chose to wait and purchase from a 3rd party retailer this time around. Got bit this same way with a bad compass out of the sealed pre-ordered box on a P4 and got stuck in a recursive loop with the repair department getting multiple bad units from March until now...
2016-10-26
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't know how many have shipped, however, DJI is monitoring the forums, Facebook, twitter and other social media sites.  We are bringing these issue to management and they are aggressively talking to customers to resolve the issues.  HFI please email me your contact information at edited out and we will do what we can.  If others email me for order status, I do not have it and it will be deleted.  Just an FYI to others.
2016-10-26
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

HFI Posted at 2016-10-26 16:54
He is not the gentlest of dudes, I did not shake the delivery box to get the Mavic box out, etc but  ...

OK i can see this one being a problem....
Powering the Mavic up with the arms folded and gimbal clamp still attached can't be good for the drone?
2016-10-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Visual Air Posted at 2016-10-27 10:40
OK i can see this one being a problem....
Powering the Mavic up with the arms folded and gimbal cl ...

Powering up with the arms folded is totally fine.
Just don't attempt to perform a takeoff with the arms folded.But yes, when powering on make sure the gimbal clamp is removed.
2016-10-26
Use props
qMvQTfjUrm4z
lvl.4

United States

Following this thread
2016-10-26
Use props
csader
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-10-26 20:44
I don't know how many have shipped, however, DJI is monitoring the forums, Facebook, twitter and oth ...

Tahoe Ed, given that I was experiencing problems but now am not, I'm worried that it will crop up again. What course of action should I take?
(fyi, I'm the OP...i changed my username from DJI's weird cryptic one)
2016-10-27
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

If someone has received a Mavic and is experiencing trouble with it (or not), there is a poll at Poll: Having trouble with your Mavic? Update here that we are looking for feedback on.
2016-10-27
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

If someone has received a Mavic and is experiencing trouble with it (or not), there is a poll at Poll: Having trouble with your Mavic? Update here that we are looking for feedback on.
2016-10-27
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

http://mavicpilots.com/threads/m ... l-need-to-read.765/
Can you check #7
do not know it this is what you are having but it is interesting
2016-11-4
Use props
daveypoo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 328176 ft
  • >>>
United States

Much Of the problem has to do with the gimbal hitting the metal bar that acts as a failsafe in case the elastic bands give way.  That metal bar obstructs the gimbal movement.
The fix is to either mill that plate down or remove it completely.
2016-11-10
Use props
fans708e68cd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41430 ft
Czechia

hi i have same problem and think it is the plate http://mavicpilots.com/threads/c ... ls.1684/#post-25189
2016-11-21
Use props
Fahrns
New

Canada

I'm having similar issues. After about 10 successful flights, my Gimbal has gone haywire during startup and is non-responsive. About every 60 seconds it attempts to restart but goes nuts and is stuck looking down to the left. https://www.youtube.com/embed/a-bvOaRjHjg

Here's more info:
1. Gimbal clamp and all shipping material was removed. Never an issue.
2. No crashes. No apparent damage to cables, motors, or Gimbal structure.
3. Not hung up on any of the three tabs.
4. I use a Samsung Galaxy 6 in airplane mode with my controller. No previous issues.

Steps taken to try fixing:
1. Changed battery
2. Tried indoors and outdoors
3. Upgrade firmware.
4. Downgraded firmware
5. Factory Reset
6. IMU calibration
7. Gimbal calibration
8. Tried starting upside down (props removed - was mentioned as having some success on a forum)

Something is causing the Gimbal to over-range and it's burning up the motors (they get really hot to the touch). I don't leave it running for more than a few minutes because of this. ARGH!!!
2016-12-11
Use props
fans0ce7a8f9
New

United States

Just got mine today and I'm having the same issue. Havent even flown it yet.. It seems ridiculous that I waited 2+ months only to have to ship it back for who knows how long..
2016-12-13
Use props
fansf71f84fc
lvl.1

Poland

Hi,
I've purchased my Mavic a week a ago. I was able to make 4 flights and gimbal was working perfectly. Unfortunately today out of a blue in showed Gimbal Overload issue. I've spent half day trying to fix it but no luck. I send it back to DJI. Super upset with this
2016-12-17
Use props
mzwanzger
New

Chile

What happened with the obstructed gimbal problem??? I fly about 10 times and now is garbish...
Pease DJI I need a solution inmidiatly.
2017-1-17
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2064587 ft
Spain

HFI Posted at 2016-10-25 16:50
YFcmtn8I2OqP was your gimbal clamp and cover attached properly when it was delivered ? Mine was not.

mine neither it came apart when I lift the mavic from the box the day I open it.
2017-1-17
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2064587 ft
Spain

HFI Posted at 2016-10-26 05:03
I'm trying to refresh or even downgrade the firmware but the Assistant app fails. Also the DJI GO app is now showing a unknown error code 200 ¡¡¡

Look like an RMA for your mavic to the tech shop hope it gets fix soon..... When those error pops up saying to contact DJI that means send it in you would not be able to get it to take off.
2017-1-17
Use props
fanse0aa9054
lvl.1

Australia

mzwanzger Posted at 2017-1-17 07:03
What happened with the obstructed gimbal problem??? I fly about 10 times and now is garbish...
Pease DJI I need a solution inmidiatly.

I had the same problem, it was fine the first month then gimbal obstructed. Had to send it in for repair, still waiting. Mine actually had noticeable friction on the gimbal causing it to heat up causing more friction...
2017-1-24
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

Interesting.... I had mine only a couple of days and about 4 flights then it started doing this exact same thing (although it did drop about 5 feet onto a grassy area; I take responsibility for this even though obstacle avoidance kicked in and seemed to get really confused), no visible damage on my gimbal but it's just flipping from down to up while reporting exactly what you described. I've already sent mine in to repair and I do have DJI Care (worthy purchase).
2017-1-24
Use props
ttexxan
New

United States

When using the lock mechanism is it "seated" properly in the plastic disk grooves on rear of gimbal??  From what I am seeing on forums and from my damage mavic the disc slides into the grooves on the gimbal lock which holds it securely.  Why I know this??  When receiving my mavic the disc piece directly on the back of the gimbal was broken off.  I believe the lock shifted and broke this piece off.  Once this occurs the locking mechanism will not hold gimbal securely.  That small disc is flimsy and wish DJI had a better locking mechanism not incorporating that area.  I have seen other gimbal locks online for the mavic, but never recommended touching the gimbal to manipulate into a locking mechanism.  Just asking for trouble.
2017-2-2
Use props
fans4c5d6010
New

Iceland

Having the same issue.  Flew fine for the first dozen flights then started getting the gimbal obstruction error.  It sometimes corrects itself but then locks up again mid flight which makes the video really choppy with abrupt jerks.  
2017-2-28
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules