33672 97 2016-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
qzFOTo97T48l
lvl.1
Flight distance : 246654 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-23 16:02
It's been requested, don't know if they will add it or not.
And for commercial operations, I would think you would want a more professional aircraft like a M600, Inspire, or at the least a P4 all which have manual ATTI.

I've bought mine for use at weddings, it's all I need, but from a CAA point of view that makes me a commercial operator.
2016-12-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

dgungadoo Posted at 2016-12-14 21:25
I'm eager to see a Manual-ATTI option on the DJI Mavic (to pass the British CAA PfCO licence, as the current school where I've passed my Theory insists on Manual-ATTI). Is there a feature-request site for DJI, where we can submit this request ? The more requests coming in, perhaps the more inclined DJI would be to add it to the to-do list.

The size of the Mavic "Pro" makes it uniquelly useful in some cases, for Professional use.

If you open the GO app and go to the Me tab, then select more.
There you can submit your feedback.
2016-12-14
Use props
fans19b053bf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34196 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-26 13:18
It's not a feature ion the Mavic and users have requested it and the request has been put in.
I have no idea if it will ever be added or not.And yes, I work for DJI.

Then I guess we can forget about FPV indoors such as a large warehouse...because if it does pick up GPS inside it could cause drift or other issues...that sucks

2016-12-30
Use props
fansbd42d07b
New
Flight distance : 140423 ft
United Kingdom

It is possible (as DJI Ken has pointed out) to submit feedback in the Go app. Everyone who wants this feature should do so, it's the only way DJI will hear us!
2017-1-10
Use props
hedfan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21470 ft
United Kingdom

fansbd42d07b Posted at 2017-1-10 10:18
It is possible (as DJI Ken has pointed out) to submit feedback in the Go app. Everyone who wants this feature should do so, it's the only way DJI will hear us!

I just 'fedback'. For me being able to enter ATTI mode manually is a must have feature. Either via a button in the App or being able to assign it to one of the controller buttons, maybe even when you click on the 5d button!!!!

For newbies maybe even having ATTI mode on the simulator so they can practise before they experience it for the first time mid-flight!
2017-1-11
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

hedfan Posted at 2017-1-11 05:57
I just 'fedback'. For me being able to enter ATTI mode manually is a must have feature. Either via a button in the App or being able to assign it to one of the controller buttons, maybe even when you click on the 5d button!!!!

For newbies maybe even having ATTI mode on the simulator so they can practise before they experience it for the first time mid-flight!

ATTI mode in the simulator is a fantastic idea!
2017-1-11
Use props
fans77eff331
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3536906 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-17 07:44
No, currently there is no manual ATTI.

The lack of a manually selectable ATTI creates several issues:

1. Any rogue GPS reading could cause a fly away situation. The standard emergency action for this is to select ATTI mode but without this, the pilot will be powerless to intervene.

2. In the UK, ATTI mode is essential for commercial operations. Whilst the Mavic is not suitable for most commercial application it would be sad not to be able to include it in our opps manual for certain remote shoots.

3. Without a manually selectable ATTI mode new users will be unable to safely practice their ATTI flying skills. This will mean the first time they fly ATTI could be in a real emergency, which is not a good time to start practcing!

2017-1-31
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fans77eff331 Posted at 2017-1-31 00:31
The lack of a manually selectable ATTI creates several issues:

1. Any rogue GPS reading could cause a fly away situation. The standard emergency action for this is to select ATTI mode but without this, the pilot will be powerless to intervene.

1. The GPS will  not get any rogue readings and fly away.
2. I wouldn't think a Mavic would be used for commercial operations.
3. This I agree on, being able to practice in ATTI with no GPS assistance is a good training aid.
2017-1-31
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

yoengel Posted at 2016-11-23 07:48
I flew the Mavic last night and it kept getting compass error mid-flight and kept switching back and forth between GPS and ATTI mode.  Is this related to the kp index?  It was above 3 and my friend actually saw the Aurora Borealis in Canada.

Interesting.  The Kp index indicates the level of geomagnetic disturbance,  which will primarily effect radio communications which pass through or bounce off the ionosphere.  However, since geo-stationary satellites are below the ionosphere, they shouldn't be effected directly by that.  However, the storms could definitely interfere locally with compass readings and create a lot of local radio noise interference.
2017-1-31
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29452 ft
Norway

I was planning on using the Mavic for commercial operations . Im a pressphotographer and was going to us the drone for news reporting. But  on my first testflying i an open fild in the countryside the drone went berserk and comitted suicide. Compass error. Heard that one  before.  No way I am going to use it anywhere near people or in urban aereas. Its to unreliable.
2017-1-31
Use props
info274
lvl.1

Spain

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-23 08:02
It's been requested, don't know if they will add it or not.
And for commercial operations, I would think you would want a more professional aircraft like a M600, Inspire, or at the least a P4 all which have manual ATTI.

So what does the Pro stand for?
Besides that, not all clients know the difference or can spot the difference between video shot on these aircraft. My clients are happy with an in house drone service so they are not the ones who are going to complain.
I am in Spain and have the same predicament; the training body wants me to fly in ATTI mode to get my commercial licence.

2017-2-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

info274 Posted at 2017-2-13 05:32
So what does the Pro stand for?
Besides that, not all clients know the difference or can spot the difference between video shot on these aircraft. My clients are happy with an in house drone service so they are not the ones who are going to complain.
I am in Spain and have the same predicament; the training body wants me to fly in ATTI mode to get my commercial licence.

If it's a requirement for your commercial license the you would have to use another aircraft that has a manual ATTI mode.
2017-2-13
Use props
DT393
lvl.3
Flight distance : 282979 ft
United States

I wonder how many times Poor Ken has responded to the ATTI feature request.
2017-2-13
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

DT393 Posted at 2017-2-13 11:27

Many, many, many times.  On that same note, this forum is not the easiest to navigate.  I imagine people would use the search feature more if it was easier.
2017-2-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

DT393 Posted at 2017-2-13 11:27

Yes, many many times.
2017-2-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-2-13 11:52
Many, many, many times.  On that same note, this forum is not the easiest to navigate.  I imagine people would use the search feature more if it was easier.

I've already requested the search feature be more precise
2017-2-13
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-13 11:52
I've already requested the search feature be more precise

Ken, as a moderator on these forums, I'd be surprised if you haven't asked DJI to just replace their whole forum system altogether! There must be dozens of well made, read-to-go forum platforms out there with all the features and functionality one could ask for. And yet it seems like DJI has chosen to build and maintain their own platform, which works half as well as most other forums out there (if that), both for users as well as moderators. I'm sure your job could be made a lot easier with a decent forum system.
2017-2-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-2-14 00:28
Ken, as a moderator on these forums, I'd be surprised if you haven't asked DJI to just replace their whole forum system altogether! There must be dozens of well made, read-to-go forum platforms out there with all the features and functionality one could ask for. And yet it seems like DJI has chosen to build and maintain their own platform, which works half as well as most other forums out there (if that), both for users as well as moderators. I'm sure your job could be made a lot easier with a decent forum system.

Yes, understood.
Also, with your RTH altitude changing. If you can upload the flight log and provide me the Dropbox link I'll send it to R&D.
2017-2-14
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

It amazes me that this feature hasn't been implemented already.  It's one of the universal features that existing users are crying out for.

The forum certainly isn't the easiest to navigate, but as mentioned there are so many threads on this topic that Ken and others have had to reply to that any analyst or developer spending more than an hour on this forum would pick it up as a must-have feature to implement.

Does nobody from the design or development side of the DJI house spend any time on the DJI's own forum?

All of these threads - and future threads - could go away if only manual ATTI was implemented (with the option to default the operation to a controller button).

I'm envisioning historians of the future digging up old hard drives from around the world that all contain 2016 & 2017 references to the need for manual ATTI on the DJI Mavic.  They'll probably assume it was something that was critical to the survival of the planet; which arguably it is  
2017-2-14
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-26 08:31
Yes, the Mavic has ATTI mode but currently cannot be operated manually. If GPS signal is lost then it will go into ATTI.
For your training course, maybe that part of the training can be indoors in a multi floor building so no GPS signal will be received.

I imagine that one reason ATTI is desired is so that people learning to fly know how to compensate for uncontrollable factors like wind. In that case doing it in a building (to block GPS) may not be sufficient, but for the OP to confirm.
I wasn't too fussed about the absence of being able to select ATTI...until my GPS suddenly dropped out and I realised I was very out of practice with using it (as it's not an optional mode).  
2017-2-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-2-14 09:43
It amazes me that this feature hasn't been implemented already.  It's one of the universal features that existing users are crying out for.

The forum certainly isn't the easiest to navigate, but as mentioned there are so many threads on this topic that Ken and others have had to reply to that any analyst or developer spending more than an hour on this forum would pick it up as a must-have feature to implement.

It's been requested long ago since we've been flying the Mavic months and months ago and R&D know there are lots of requests for it.
So I don't think it's coming anytime soon.
2017-2-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

GMG Posted at 2017-2-14 10:35
I imagine that one reason ATTI is desired is so that people learning to fly know how to compensate for uncontrollable factors like wind. In that case doing it in a building (to block GPS) may not be sufficient, but for the OP to confirm.
I wasn't too fussed about the absence of being able to select ATTI...until my GPS suddenly dropped out and I realised I was very out of practice with using it (as it's not an optional mode).

Yes, it would be nice but don't think it will happen.
2017-2-14
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-14 11:09
It's been requested long ago since we've been flying the Mavic months and months ago and R&D know there are lots of requests for it.
So I don't think it's coming anytime soon.

Out of curiosity, have you ever heard why it was left out in the first place?
2017-2-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-14 11:18
Out of curiosity, have you ever heard why it was left out in the first place?

Sorry I have not.
2017-2-14
Use props
neo0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 115997 ft
United States

cwalk818@yahoo. Posted at 2016-10-26 15:42
Hi Ken... Sorry to bother you but I was flying my Mavic earlier for the first time and the Mavic kept switching from GPS mode to Atti mode. It would have 13 satellites then would suddenly drop to 3 or 4 with the slightest distance or altitude change then it would jump back up to 13. Is there some kind of setting I could have wrong or do you think this is something I should be concerned about?

My Mavic was doing the same thing . I Just posted a write up on  that topic, is under> compass and IMU Error
2017-2-14
Use props
Marama
New
United States

Few days ago I flew my Mavic in a relative "closed" area as I was surrounded by cliff (about 100m high) but not totally.
I wanted to film a waterfall.
As the sky was not open enough, GPS number navigated from 3 to 6 so I nnever reached the GPS mode.
2017-2-24
Use props
Marama
New
United States

Here is a situation where ability to switch from ATTI mode to GPS mode would have been great for me.
I had to film a waterfall, accessing it from the bottom part, I was surrounded by cliffs so the sky was not open enough to give enough GPS satellites to the mavic for P-GPS (between 3 and 6, btw what is the minimum needed?)
So I start flying the mavic in P-OPTI and realized that altitude was limited to 30m which was not enough to film this waterfall.
So I disable forward sensor and start to fly ATTI but with all these trees around and cliffs I stopped my flight to prevent a crash (not used enough to fly ATTI with the mavic in such hazardous area...
What could have been perfect in this situation : start in ATTI and then switch to GPS as I would have enough satellite in higher altitude (as mavic would have been above cliffs).
So you think mavic will be able to do that one day?
Of course, I could do it with my phantom, but bring it to this waterfall is not an option!
2017-2-24
Use props
Videolester
lvl.2
Flight distance : 466624 ft
Canada

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-26 13:26
At least I hope so.  ;-)

I hope they add it as well!
2017-2-25
Use props
The Rev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

I think its due to the fact that the Mavic is very unstable in ATTI mode and unpredictable and drifts badly.
Anyone on this forum that has had the Mavic drop into ATTI mode mid flight will tell you.
Its like balancing a plate on a stick.
2017-2-26
Use props
VAS67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 265984 ft
United Kingdom

The Rev Posted at 2017-2-26 05:02
I think its due to the fact that the Mavic is very unstable in ATTI mode and unpredictable and drifts badly.
Anyone on this forum that has had the Mavic drop into ATTI mode mid flight will tell you.

And yet it's more stable in GPS mode than most other DJI drones ?
2017-2-26
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

The Mavic flies just fine in true ATTI mode (no GPS or VPS): I know because I've done it, and there's no unpredictable drifting but only drifting with the wind. The spontaneous switching from P-mode to ATTI that people like yourself have experienced is probably something different and possibly also involves problems with the compass or other systems besides just GPS and VPS.
2017-2-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi Rev when going into Atti you need to remember that when you are pushing on the sticks you are also continually fighting the drift caused by the wind and involuntary movement of the AC, so you are constantly trying to get the AC back on course .

So yes AC is not as responsive in Atti as it is in P mode, so it needs much more input from the pilot..

It's a bit like a tug of war, and they are not easy to win and can get away from you very quickly...
2017-2-26
Use props
The Rev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-26 05:20
The Mavic flies just fine in true ATTI mode (no GPS or VPS): I know because I've done it, and there's no unpredictable drifting but only drifting with the wind. The spontaneous switching from P-mode to ATTI that people like yourself have experienced is probably something different and possibly also involves problems with the compass or other systems besides just GPS and VPS.

I think your correct as I have flown a Phantom in ATTI mode and it was nothing like what I experienced with the Mavic
2017-2-26
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-10-26 12:10
Turn off VPS.  Tape an empty bag of crisps to the top to block GPS.  And maybe SPORT mode on???  Perhaps THEN you'll have ATTI on-demand for your class.  THE REALITY IS it's that or borrow a Phantom.  The Mavic seems to have multiple trigger points and multiple ATTI modes as indicated in flight logs (GPS ATTI and ATTI) - none of which you have control over.

LOL, I was going to suggest this but you beat me to it ! This does work . Just tape a small pc of aluminum foil to the top where the GPS ant is and fly in sport mode . atti will show on the controller. I don't suggest it , but it was a experiment

With as many first timers crashing the Mavic in their "EASY modes" I'm sure DJI is reluctant to put a selectable ATTi mode setting on it . I hope they do even if it's a " Press this button you void the warranty" button

2017-2-26
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-2-26 10:47
LOL, I was going to suggest this but you beat me to it ! This does work . Just tape a small pc of aluminum foil to the top where the GPS ant is and fly in sport mode . atti will show on the controller. I don't suggest it , but it was a experiment

With as many first timers crashing the Mavic in their "EASY modes" I'm sure DJI is reluctant to put a selectable ATTi mode setting on it . I hope they do even if it's a " Press this button you void the warranty" button

The foil alone produces OPTI mode; to get (true) ATTI, you have to also disable VPS, but at least that part can be easily accomplished through the app. You may very well be right about DJI's reason for not providing a user-selectable ATTI, though: they'd probably wind up with more Care Refresh claims if they made it easy. Because while I wouldn't call the Mavic difficult to control in ATTI mode, it's certainly not as easy to maneuver as it is in P-mode.
2017-2-26
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-2-26 10:47

I tried this with some foil folded over to make 4-6 layers, but it wasn't enough to force ATTI mode when I tested it at my local park. The foil would have easily worked to block the GPS signals indoors, or in a slightly confined area, but I wanted to try this experiment in a large space, hence trying it in the park.

I do plan to experiment some more, though.
2017-2-26
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-2-26 11:10
I tried this with some foil folded over to make 4-6 layers, but it wasn't enough to force ATTI mode when I tested it at my local park. The foil would have easily worked to block the GPS signals indoors, or in a slightly confined area, but I wanted to try this experiment in a large space, hence trying it in the park.

I do plan to experiment some more, though.

I did it with a single layer of "heavy-duty" aluminum foil on my first attempt. Did you also cover the sides and rear on the aft portion of the aircraft? In other words, I covered basically everything behind the battery and it completely blocked GPS reception. And yes, this was outdoors.
2017-2-26
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-26 11:13
I did it with a single layer of "heavy-duty" aluminum foil on my first attempt. Did you also cover the sides and rear on the aft portion of the aircraft? In other words, I covered basically everything behind the battery and it completely blocked GPS reception. And yes, this was outdoors.

Here's a screen grab from the video while I was taping the foil to my Mavic. When I first powered it up, it was showing a very low sat count, like 3-5 sats. But when I let it sit for a while (I wanted to be sure) the count eventually creeped up and it went into GPS mode. I didn't even bother to start the motors.

Mavic Foil 1.jpg
2017-2-26
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-2-26 11:27
Here's a screen grab from the video while I was taping the foil to my Mavic. When I first powered it up, it was showing a very low sat count, like 3-5 sats. But when I let it sit for a while (I wanted to be sure) the count eventually creeped up and it went into GPS mode. I didn't even bother to start the motors.

The picture's a little blurry, but the only difference I can see is that I went further down the rear with it, maybe even covering up the status indicator (though I don't recall if I actually covered it or not). And like you, I let it sit for a couple of minutes to see if it eventually picked up GPS but it never did.
2017-2-26
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-26 11:32
The picture's a little blurry, but the only difference I can see is that I went further down the rear with it, maybe even covering up the status indicator (though I don't recall if I actually covered it or not). And like you, I let it sit for a couple of minutes to see if it eventually picked up GPS but it never did.

I definitely didn't cover up the rear light, but I might try that next time. There's also a couple of air vents on either side of the rear light, though. I assume you didn't cover those up.

Maybe I just happened to choose a location with ridiculously good GPS signal!! haha
2017-2-26
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules