DJI owes us an answer. Failed firmware upgrade
2553 49 2016-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb671597b
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-24 05:03
I would not be fiddling around with the internal SD card, you never know what damage you could do with that, plus the fact that it will instantly void your warranty (if you still have one).

Warranty expired.
2016-12-24
Use props
fansb671597b
lvl.1

United States

I fixed it for $16 and an hour in the garage.  I opened up the shell and replaced the bad internal SD card. Just do a web search for replacing the internal SD card.  I am so done with DJI.  Worst customer support experience in a long time.
2016-12-25
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

So you replaced the internal SD card and then did what? Updated the firmware again? Will it update with a blank new SD card installed?
2016-12-25
Use props
fansb671597b
lvl.1

United States

HWCM Posted at 2016-12-25 23:55
So you replaced the internal SD card and then did what? Updated the firmware again? Will it update with a blank new SD card installed?

I installed the previous version of firmware.  I'm still too scared to install a firmware that cannot be rolled back without opening up the drone.  
2016-12-30
Use props
JVCinSC
New

United States

I missed the FedEx delivery today of my new phantom. When I open the box next week I sure hope all the firmware has been updated by DGI before shipment because this upgrade business sounds dicey. Id hate to brick my bird on day one. Is it safe to assume that it will fly correctly straight out of the box with the firmware that is pre-loaded?
2016-12-30
Use props
fans94a0c563
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39964 ft
United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2016-12-30
Use props
Gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Yaknow... these are pretty sophisticated flying computers and for any newcomers to R/C flying there is a steep learning curve.  How well you readily absorb and integrate all that new information into your brain can depend a great deal on your patience and temperament.  Honestly, education can sometimes be a hinderance because of a mind set.  

I've done computer tech support in the past and often, when the first thing out of someone's mouth is "I'm a MCSE, MCSA..." (or something similar) that alerts me to the fact that I'm probably dealing with a closed mind and it's going to be a looooong phone call.  For example, the original poster starts of with "13 year service tech at Intel's R&D fab [sic?]" yet he doesn't know what it means when something is "bricked"?!? (see post #29) Kinda raises a red flag.

Heck, I have two college degrees, certified as a Microsoft professional, own six different models of Phantom, read the forum almost daily and I sometimes still have to go back to the manual or re-read my own notes or jump on to the forum to get an answer.

It is a delicate balancing act to walk that thin line between offering technical experience, empathy or the desire to magically reach through the ether and slap some sense into the person on the other end.  Some of these posts require sifting through all the chaff to find the answer.  If you manage to stick around long enough, instead of just make a snarky post and disappearing before you even manage to figure out how to change you user name, you might actually learn something useful.
2016-12-30
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

JVCinSC Posted at 2016-12-30 13:13
I missed the FedEx delivery today of my new phantom. When I open the box next week I sure hope all the firmware has been updated by DGI before shipment because this upgrade business sounds dicey. Id hate to brick my bird on day one. Is it safe to assume that it will fly correctly straight out of the box with the firmware that is pre-loaded?

I updated mine yesterday. No problems so far. This update did take about 2-3 times longer than the others. There were a few times that the quad acted like it was done because the lights stopped flashing and the gimbal went limp, the quad restarted etc. I almost cut it off because I thought it was done. But the beeps were still going. Even though they stopped at the restarts. I can see where someone would cut the quad off prematurely and brick it.
DO NOT PAY ATTENTION TO THE LIGHTS. ONLY LISTEN TO THE BEEPING.
2016-12-30
Use props
fansb671597b
lvl.1

United States

Gil Posted at 2016-12-30 16:00
Yaknow... these are pretty sophisticated flying computers and for any newcomers to R/C flying there is a steep learning curve.  How well you readily absorb and integrate all that new information into your brain can depend a great deal on your patience and temperament.  Honestly, education can sometimes be a hinderance because of a mind set.  

I've done computer tech support in the past and often, when the first thing out of someone's mouth is "I'm a MCSE, MCSA..." (or something similar) that alerts me to the fact that I'm probably dealing with a closed mind and it's going to be a looooong phone call.  For example, the original poster starts of with "13 year service tech at Intel's R&D fab [sic?]" yet he doesn't know what it means when something is "bricked"?!? (see post #29) Kinda raises a red flag.

Gil, I apologize if my frustration with DJI's customer came across as unsavory, it sounds like I offended you and I'm sorry.  Yes I turned up the volume on my post/complaint because myself and many other phantom owners have the same problem and we are all getting the same answer from DJI, "Send it in".  A private owner knew it was an SD card issue and I opened her up and fixed it for less than the cost of shipping to DJI.  Do you think DJI would ever make available their symptom/cause troubleshooting knowledge base?  They have one.  
2017-1-6
Use props
Gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

fansb671597b Posted at 2017-1-6 18:30
Gil, I apologize if my frustration with DJI's customer came across as unsavory, it sounds like I offended you and I'm sorry.  Yes I turned up the volume on my post/complaint because myself and many other phantom owners have the same problem and we are all getting the same answer from DJI, "Send it in".  A private owner knew it was an SD card issue and I opened her up and fixed it for less than the cost of shipping to DJI.  Do you think DJI would ever make available their symptom/cause troubleshooting knowledge base?  They have one.

Uhh... ok?  But I'm just not sure what for.  

The poster I was responding to wasn't you and he has a "*Shielded comment" so I can't even remember what he said that prompted my response.  (But apparently it was sufficient for the forum admins to whack his peepee and excise HIS offending comments)
2017-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules