Just got Drone insurance through State Farm!
9891 77 2016-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Any Canadian Insurance providers out there? Rates?  I've made several calls to no avail...commercial only.  If the above thread info is correct this is good news (e.g. $24-$60 for it).  I find it hard to believe it is that cheap in the US (with the propensity for lawsuits!).  Canadian insurance providers I'm sure will not be fair....

Any info for Canadian's looking to insure (non-commercial).  Thanks!
2016-12-22
Use props
mavicbro
lvl.1

United States

If you purchase your Mavic (or anything really) through Amex, that item is entitled to Amex Purchase Protection for upto 90 days and upto $1,000.

Most, if not all, Amex cards carry the $1,000 Purchase Protection and some cards (like mine) even cover up to $10k.

I filed a claim on my P3 this summer when it sunk in NH and no one from Amex even called. They just issued me a $1,200 credit on my statement. I couldn't even recover the drone.

Anyway, it's a rarely used feature but particularly useful for dones.
2016-12-22
Use props
StanKC
lvl.1

Canada

randy.sauder Posted at 2016-12-22 20:07
Any Canadian Insurance providers out there? Rates?  I've made several calls to no avail...commercial only.  If the above thread info is correct this is good news (e.g. $24-$60 for it).  I find it hard to believe it is that cheap in the US (with the propensity for lawsuits!).  Canadian insurance providers I'm sure will not be fair....

Any info for Canadian's looking to insure (non-commercial).  Thanks!

So far I have come up empty on my search as well.

My major concern isn't losing $2K worth of gears.  It's more of a fear a prop goes out and it drops onto a road and caused a 5 car pile up or something.
I'm pretty sure $24-$60 is just to cover the drone cost.  (After all, a $10K rental property policy is only $120 from State Farm, covering any items damaged by renters).  So I'm worry way more about a drone causing property or people damages than a lost drone.

Anyway, sounds like new drone law is out in Canada.  I hope there enough guidelines in there for the insurance industry to come in.

2016-12-22
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Finally connected with my agent and was given a $90 quote for the year to cover both my Mavic and my P4Pro+
2016-12-23
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Oh and these were the stipulations in case anyone is curious.

Underwriting Considerations

1. The insured drone must be used for hobby or recreational purposes.

2. The unit must weigh less than 55 pounds to be eligible for coverage and to be considered for recreational / hobby use.

3. A copy of the actual purchase documents must be submitted with the PAP application.

4. Information on the brand and model of the drone and related components is required
2016-12-23
Use props
JustABill
lvl.1

United States

Just curious, was poking around USAA and technically speaking wouldn't the Mavic Pro be considered a "Camera" for insurance purposes?  Just a thought.  Tempted to call them and ask... if it is it would only run me about $25 a year through USAA.
2016-12-27
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.3

United States

I have Erie insurance and my drone is covered without any additional cost.  It's considered a model airplane according to them.
2016-12-27
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

JustABill Posted at 2016-12-27 08:56
Just curious, was poking around USAA and technically speaking wouldn't the Mavic Pro be considered a "Camera" for insurance purposes?  Just a thought.  Tempted to call them and ask... if it is it would only run me about $25 a year through USAA.

That would depend if they agreed, with a normal camera you're not really expecting it to fall out of the sky or slam into a wall.
2016-12-27
Use props
adg110
lvl.1

United States

State Farm - I live in IL - $60 minimum, it was $20 to insure my Mavic @ $1085.  I just emailed my agent (I have auto and renters with SF) requesting a Personal Articles Policy and included my receipt, they had a declaration page over to me via email by end of day.
2017-1-4
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

what company???
2017-1-4
Use props
T_A_Rogers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68537 ft
United States

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-23 14:03
Oh and these were the stipulations in case anyone is curious.

Underwriting Considerations

Is this through state farm or your "other" insurance company? Just for clarity. Thanks
2017-1-4
Use props
jamgabbi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 32530 ft
United States

I got insurance today also. State Farm 60$ for the amount of 2400$ that's what i paid for a combo on eBay back in 11/1.   
I was asked to produce the owners manual , sales receipt , serial number, and the weight of the Mavic.   
At first State Farm was a little hesistste because my home and cars are insured with geico.  

Hi Jimmy – so sorry for the late reply but it took a while to find out. YES, State Farm does in fact have drone insurance. The rate is $1.25 per $100 coverage with a $60/year minimum premium. The drone may only be used for personal recreational purposes, not for business use. So basically, unless the drone is worth more than $5,000 then the annual premium would be $60. There is no deductible and it provides for broad coverage like loss of equipment or damage to the drone.

We’d be glad to help you purchase this policy if you wish. Just let us know.

Thanks and have a Happy New Year!

Mike Lanza, Agent
State Farm Insurance

2017-1-4
Use props
dcorbo
lvl.2

United States

Hey guy i was reading through some of the comments and wanted to clear up some thing. Im a State Farm rep in NJ and wrote one of these policies the other day. 1)We do not cover commercial use. 2) They cover the drone anywhere in the world for any type of damage, or if its lost stolen or vandaized. Cameras are only covered if they are permanently attached or covered on their own. Most states wont cover Gopros.   3) This policy will not affect your home or auto rates if you have other policies and the rates don't change like auto insurance if you file a claim. Worst case is you will ger droped if State Farm feels you are a bad risk. If you guys have any other questions or need help with insurance in NJ let me know id be glad to help out.
2017-1-9
Use props
dcorbo
lvl.2

United States

Ely324 Posted at 2016-12-21 09:24
I called my local State Farm Agent, they said they would have to get back to me, and then said they use to cover iPhones but stopped due to so many things that could wrong with them. Not sure what asking insurance for a drone has anything to do with an iPhone...

I have yet to hear from them, 3 business days later. I am from NJ. I told them it was a drone, and I was looking for full protection under a personal article policy and it was for personal use.

Hi I saw your post about your SF agent not getting back to you. I don't want to steal buisness but i work for an agent in Paramus NJ and can help you out if you still need help/ have questions.
2017-1-9
Use props
fans16116e0d
New
British Virgin Islands

KayakMark34 Posted at 2016-12-22 10:40
Just received my Mavic last night from B&H, and just got it insured from State Farm (in Illinois) for $60 for the year!

Kayakmark34. Do you have any other insurance through SF? If not, can you message me your agent's contact details? Each agent that I've contacted in IL keeps trying to have me transfer my homeowners coverage to them. I'm quite content with Geico.
Edit: Nevermind, I was able to finally get in touch with someone.
2017-1-10
Use props
Ely324
lvl.3
Flight distance : 904888 ft
United States

dcorbo Posted at 2017-1-9 16:05
Hi I saw your post about your SF agent not getting back to you. I don't want to steal buisness but i work for an agent in Paramus NJ and can help you out if you still need help/ have questions.

Thank you, at this time I'm probably going to skip 3rd party insurance as I went ahead and purchased dji care refresh as it now covers water damage.

As far as that SF location, they pretty much lost all hope in ever getting any future business from me, whether or not they would be able to provide me with insurance for my drone. If other SF agencies could provide insurance, I'm not sure why they wouldn't, or at least get back to me. As someone who is in the process of buying a new house, they can bet on it that they won't be getting me as a customer for home insurance.
2017-1-11
Use props
dcorbo
lvl.2

United States

Ely324 Posted at 2017-1-11 08:49
Thank you, at this time I'm probably going to skip 3rd party insurance as I went ahead and purchased dji care refresh as it now covers water damage.

As far as that SF location, they pretty much lost all hope in ever getting any future business from me, whether or not they would be able to provide me with insurance for my drone. If other SF agencies could provide insurance, I'm not sure why they wouldn't, or at least get back to me. As someone who is in the process of buying a new house, they can bet on it that they won't be getting me as a customer for home insurance.

Yeah that's not normally how State Farm
Agents work but each agency is independly owned so service is different in each office.  If you need any insuranc help in NJ feel free to text me 973-479-9959.  Dillon
2017-1-11
Use props
utahskier
lvl.2
United States

Does anyone know if you could use insurance through state farm alongside dji care refresh?  For example if you had to send it back to dji, then dji issues you a bill for the cost of repair or replacement. Would the insurance cover the bill from dji then?
2017-1-16
Use props
dcorbo
lvl.2

United States

utahskier Posted at 2017-1-16 08:49
Does anyone know if you could use insurance through state farm alongside dji care refresh?  For example if you had to send it back to dji, then dji issues you a bill for the cost of repair or replacement. Would the insurance cover the bill from dji then?

State Farm is going to cover the cost to fix any damage. So you could submit your receipt from DJI and they will cut you a check.
2017-1-18
Use props
utahskier
lvl.2
United States

dcorbo Posted at 2017-1-18 11:14
State Farm is going to cover the cost to fix any damage. So you could submit your receipt from DJI and they will cut you a check.

Perfect just what I was wondering! Thanks!!
2017-1-18
Use props
eyecapture
lvl.4
Flight distance : 517848 ft
Canada

StanKC Posted at 2016-12-22 19:40
So far I have come up empty on my search as well.

My major concern isn't losing $2K worth of gears.  It's more of a fear a prop goes out and it drops onto a road and caused a 5 car pile up or something.

Well if you fly by the "rules" you're not supposed to fly closer than 150m to people, animals, cars, etc. So there shouldn't be any situation for you to accidentally fall on someone/something. Although that doesn't count flyaways.
2017-1-18
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

I confirmed through a local State Farm agent (in Texas) that they would cover against any damage/loss.  I believe it is being considered a camera.

I asked on another thread, with no reply, so I will try here:

Is there any benefit to the DJI Care Refresh considering the Personal Articles Policy (PAP) covers unrecovered loss and is less expensive than the DJI Care Refresh?  Am I missing something here?  Just seems it would be more cost effective to pass on DJI Care Refresh and cover loss through PAP.
2017-1-18
Use props
Andrew Tik
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Hi. I live in NC. I am considering buying an insurance to cover my P4P. I called my rep but he doesn't know about it! Could anyone tell me how to claim it if I crash my aircraft? how long does it take to get my compensation back? and how to prove a fly-away or stolen?   I am curious about it cuz it is quite cheap.
2017-1-19
Use props
Ob1415
lvl.2

United States

Bobaloo Posted at 2016-12-20 11:42
You won't be happy when your home and possibly auto rates increase after you file a claim on your lost or crashed drone.  You will wind up paying more in the long run.

Ever notice that your home and auto rates go up each year, anyway?  Even when you haven't filed any claims?  That's because insurance premiums are most largely based/affected by the claims filed in your area, not by you specifically.  Example:  Tornado takes out a few houses that are a few miles away...not even in your neighborhood...EVERYONE'S rates in that area are going to go up to help offset the claims paid out for those houses.
2017-1-19
Use props
Ob1415
lvl.2

United States

MiStro Posted at 2016-12-22 12:51
I too have a quote from State Farm for $50 a year in NJ (no deductible), so will definitely take advantage of that when my Mavic arrives tomorrow.  The only thing state farm won't cover is any type of mechanical failure, so I might even get DJI Care Refresh as well.  Might be a little excessive to have both, but for the minimal cost of coverage through state farm, I like that just for the loss/theft aspect alone.

If they don't cover mechanical failure, just leave it unattended a few minutes and file a theft claim after someone steals it.  IJS...  
2017-1-19
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

Ob1415 Posted at 2017-1-19 07:10
If they don't cover mechanical failure, just leave it unattended a few minutes and file a theft claim after someone steals it.  IJS...

Wouldn't the standard DJI warranty cover mechanical failure.  I'm assuming this is where the drone fails to operate, not a mechanical failure where a rotor flies off and results in a crash.

The SF policy is suppose to cover both theft and damage, and doesn't require recovery of the drone.  So if I fly it into the Pacific, never to see it again, SF will cut a check for the full amount.  Or if a rotor flies off resulting in a crash, and DJI can repair for a fee less than the covered amount, SF will cut a check to cover the cost to repair.

So am I wrong about a general warranty coverage?

I'm just trying to determine if DJI Care Refresh is not as good of an option as a PAP through an insurance agency.  No one seems to specifically offer their thoughts on this.

I do recall one individual who posted useful information tell of his situation where he damaged his Mavic Pro beyond repair, had both a PAP and DJI Care Refresh, and was able to both replace and get a check for the insured amount through his insurance provider.  Double coverage.
2017-1-20
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

NoSale Posted at 2017-1-18 18:36
I confirmed through a local State Farm agent (in Texas) that they would cover against any damage/loss.  I believe it is being considered a camera.

I asked on another thread, with no reply, so I will try here:

To be honest the State Farm deal is a no brainner and too good to miss. I suspect they made some errors in calculating the fees and it will almost certainly go up in the future.
2017-1-20
Use props
Antonio Genovia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 343504 ft
United States

This is going to be my first post. First off, I would just like to saw hello.

I have been following this thread closely and today opted to call local agents here in the San Francisco, California Bay Area.

After calling 10 State Farm agents, one agent finally answered me directly that YES! California will insure drones  (I was so surprised!)
http://www.thangvo.com/
2017-7-18
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft
United States

dcorbo Posted at 2017-1-9 15:57
Hey guy i was reading through some of the comments and wanted to clear up some thing. Im a State Farm rep in NJ and wrote one of these policies the other day. 1)We do not cover commercial use. 2) They cover the drone anywhere in the world for any type of damage, or if its lost stolen or vandaized. Cameras are only covered if they are permanently attached or covered on their own. Most states wont cover Gopros.   3) This policy will not affect your home or auto rates if you have other policies and the rates don't change like auto insurance if you file a claim. Worst case is you will ger droped if State Farm feels you are a bad risk. If you guys have any other questions or need help with insurance in NJ let me know id be glad to help out.

Hi. I just got State Farm to cover my Mavic 2 Pro and DSLR. I got my policy copy and upin reading, I will only be covered for 90 days? I thought it was a year and I can renew it!
2018-9-12
Use props
StormyAcres
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30827 ft
United States

dcorbo Posted at 2017-1-9 15:57
Hey guy i was reading through some of the comments and wanted to clear up some thing. Im a State Farm rep in NJ and wrote one of these policies the other day. 1)We do not cover commercial use. 2) They cover the drone anywhere in the world for any type of damage, or if its lost stolen or vandaized. Cameras are only covered if they are permanently attached or covered on their own. Most states wont cover Gopros.   3) This policy will not affect your home or auto rates if you have other policies and the rates don't change like auto insurance if you file a claim. Worst case is you will ger droped if State Farm feels you are a bad risk. If you guys have any other questions or need help with insurance in NJ let me know id be glad to help out.

The concern I have on making a claim under a personal articles policy is that would this claim still be listed in the claims database as a property claim?  So if you were seeking to get a new homeowners policy with another company, they would see the claim and possibly reflect that in their quote?  I agree that a PAP claim should not affect EXISTING policies but if you were shopping around for new coverage, I wonder if these sorts of claims would be an issue?
2018-9-12
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

StormyAcres Posted at 2018-9-12 16:23
The concern I have on making a claim under a personal articles policy is that would this claim still be listed in the claims database as a property claim?  So if you were seeking to get a new homeowners policy with another company, they would see the claim and possibly reflect that in their quote?  I agree that a PAP claim should not affect EXISTING policies but if you were shopping around for new coverage, I wonder if these sorts of claims would be an issue?

This question has come up many times, and the usual answer is that it MIGHT affect your rates. I've seen more than one person claiming to be in the insurance business say that each company can use the database as it sees fit and that filing a claim on a drone PAP might or might not affect your rates either on an existing policy or on a future one.
2018-9-12
Use props
StormyAcres
lvl.1
United States

Gimpy Posted at 2018-9-12 18:23
This question has come up many times, and the usual answer is that it MIGHT affect your rates. I've seen more than one person claiming to be in the insurance business say that each company can use the database as it sees fit and that filing a claim on a drone PAP might or might not affect your rates either on an existing policy or on a future one.

Right - the point being is that the claim would be in the database to which all insurance companies have access and can see that you had a property claim.   I think this is important for folks to realize - that the database does exist so a claim made, even on a separate policy, would be a matter of record.     PAPs are great to have for a variety of equipment, especially since they are typically all-risk, full coverage with no deductible  but one just has to realize the effect of making claims.   
2018-9-12
Use props
StormyAcres
lvl.1
United States

No Man's Drone Posted at 2018-9-12 07:46
Hi. I just got State Farm to cover my Mavic 2 Pro and DSLR. I got my policy copy and upin reading, I will only be covered for 90 days? I thought it was a year and I can renew it!

Seems like a strange policy - only 90 days?  Is the expiration date synchronized with another policy perhaps?
2018-9-12
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
United States

StormyAcres Posted at 2018-9-12 18:38
Seems like a strange policy - only 90 days?  Is the expiration date synchronized with another policy perhaps?

Hi. This is what's indicated on my binder:

State Farm will provide coverage to the applicant and his or her legal representative on the property described for up to ninety (90) days from the
Effective Date, subject to all terms and conditions of the policy and endorsements for which application has been made. If no Effective Date is
indicated, this Binder does not provide any coverage. This Binder will be void when the declarations page is issued on the policy for which
application has been made or when coverage under this Binder is canceled in accordance with policy provisions.
The premium due State Farm for the coverage provided by this Binder will be the full annual premium for the policy for which application has been
made, and will be pro-rated for the length of time coverage is provided under this Binder.
2018-9-12
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

colonel00 Posted at 2016-12-20 22:23
Maybe call it photography/filmography gear?

I live in Jersey and have State Farm Insurance for my Drones. It cost me 113.00 for the year and I had to provide proof of purchase. The 113.00 covers an Inspire 1 Pro, Inspire 1, Mavic Pro and a Amimon Falcore FPV Racer. I totaled the Inspire 1 pro within 3 weeks of getting the policy. Fully covered. Only caveat was they would not cover the replacement. A year has passed and I was surprised to see a renewal notice as I thought they would have dropped me. Will definitely renew.
2018-9-13
Use props
dcorbo
lvl.2

United States

StormyAcres Posted at 2018-9-12 16:23
The concern I have on making a claim under a personal articles policy is that would this claim still be listed in the claims database as a property claim?  So if you were seeking to get a new homeowners policy with another company, they would see the claim and possibly reflect that in their quote?  I agree that a PAP claim should not affect EXISTING policies but if you were shopping around for new coverage, I wonder if these sorts of claims would be an issue?

Yes it can be an issue for up to 3 years after the claim if you are shopping for new insurance. It counts the same as any other homeowners claim would.
2018-9-14
Use props
dcorbo
lvl.2

United States

No Man's Drone Posted at 2018-9-12 19:40
Hi. This is what's indicated on my binder:

State Farm will provide coverage to the applicant and his or her legal representative on the property described for up to ninety (90) days from the

Initially your are covered for 90 days until the policy gets through the underwriting process. After that you will  get the year long policy in the mail. Noting to worry about unless you don't get your official policy in 2-3 weeks after starting the policy. This is the standard procedure.
2018-9-14
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
United States

dcorbo Posted at 2018-9-14 06:57
Initially your are covered for 90 days until the policy gets through the underwriting process. After that you will  get the year long policy in the mail. Noting to worry about unless you don't get your official policy in 2-3 weeks after starting the policy. This is the standard procedure.

Thank you very much for your explanation. Really appreciate it!
2018-9-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules