DJI Follow Focus / Ronin-M / Sony A7Sii
2263 3 2016-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Scend Media
New

United States

I am having an issue using the DJI Follow Focus with the Ronin-M and a Sony A7Sii.  I was wondering if anyone has any ideas that I have not considered.

The issue stems from the fact that the A7Sii is a smaller camera.  With an attached 24-70mm lens, the camera itself has to be mounted as far forward on the baseplate as possible in order to get the lens' focus ring in a position it cant be accessed by the Follow Focus motor (over the 15" extension rods).  Doing so creates a situation with a 'front-heavy' rig that cannot be counter balanced.

I have considered a counter balance behind the camera, but the only official solution I see from DJI is for the Ronin only.  I would rather not piece meal a solution.... but if anyone has ideas I'd like to hear.  Especially from a DJI Rep.

Thanks in advance.
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Could you perhaps provide a small video in order to see the extent of the imbalance? Have you added any other extenders on the Ronin at this point besides the 15mm ones for the Follow Focus?
2016-12-27
Use props
fans386c87f2
lvl.3
Argentina

I just bought velcros and i made a counterweight with pieces of metal covered by tape, the i velcro them on the back of the doveplait, they fall sometimes but works in a hurry, oficial solutions: Dji ronin MX counterweight, cinemiled pro doveplait and counterweights. Etc
2016-12-27
Use props
Scend Media
New

United States

Thanks for the replies.  I was able to fix the problem with a simple bolt and a stack of washers.  It is far from the fix I was looking for but gets the job done cheaply.

I would suggest those looking to use smaller, mirrorless cameras with this rig and a follow focus take note that there are definitely issues you will need to account for.
2016-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules