Inspire 1 suddenly fell from sky
24668 219 2015-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

Koavog Posted at 2015-2-16 11:23
Shakey, I'm confused too. How do you calibrate compass, start motors, do anything without the came ...

I'm correcting you....you are wrong.
I am actually surprised that so many pilots thought the camera had to be attached to fly the Inspire...
2015-2-15
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

FoxSTI Posted at 2015-2-16 11:44
I flew today without the camera.. you just get a blank screen. So I toggled the map.

This whole CSC ...

Exactly my point, having the aircraft totally shut down because your control sticks are in a certain position while AIRBORNE?  That is just insane if it is true.
2015-2-15
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

Easy solution and to make all happy :

Just put as an option in the app : CRC in mid air  yes/no  (default=no)
2015-2-15
Use props
dundee
First Officer

Thailand

2015-2-16 13:47

Easy solution and to make all happy :

Just put as an option in the app : CRC in mid air  yes/no  (default=no)
2015-2-15
Use props
Jorgehlopezc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4957293 ft
Colombia

michael-dicker. Posted at 2015-2-16 05:07
Don't worry when in flight.   CSC only works when the copter is landed.

Excuse me but you are absolutely wrong because I Made it, i turned off motors midair, An aircraft fell down inmedially. I Was waiting it in my hands...
2015-2-15
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

ScottGunn Posted at 2015-2-16 09:55
If you are correct, and it will cut power in mid flight 20 feet off the ground with the arms up jus ...

Think of a situation where, the copter landed on someone in a building (accidental of course and is cutting them up with its blades) you would want a mechanism to cut out the motors. Ditto if someone had a flyaway on ATTI (where you still have control and are not confident of preventing the craft from crashing into someone walking on a hill). I think it will take some time to get a sense of the engineering / programming trade offs to be made, taking into account that people often do things that are not logical.
2015-2-15
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>

FoxSTI Posted at 2015-2-16 11:44
I flew today without the camera.. you just get a blank screen. So I toggled the map.

This whole CSC ...

You need a max stick manoeuvre and one that is held for more than 1s or so  to trigger CSC shut off the motors. I use the sustained full down throttle for hand catches. Yes, the Inspire can be hand caught quite safely around the battery area. Just make sure you are tall enough to catch it overhead on a slow descent. No fun if the legs lower before you can power off!!! I don't like landing on sand.
2015-2-15
Use props
dundee
First Officer

Thailand

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2015-2-16 14:02
Think of a situation where, the copter landed on someone in a building (accidental of course and i ...

And this is why i'm working on this idea

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=7819
2015-2-15
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>

dundee Posted at 2015-2-16 14:11
And this is why i'm working on this idea

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=7819 ...

I think it might have appeal in some quarters but the people who most need to use such a feature won't pay the extra and the risk-averse safety-minded persons who would buy such an attachment generally don't do dangerous things.

I think that the aerodynamics of the craft would be significantly affected and in wind, you would have problems keeping the shield in place. The Inspire should not be a first craft unless you have too much money (but it appears some people have too much money e.g. a 'student' who crashed into a sea-water canal and totalled his craft after a few flights) so I guess DJI thought it did not have to put in guards.

The P1 / P2 guards strike me as well designed. The Inspire is much more responsive to stick control than the P2 and again, I have concerns about how securely you could hold the guards in place.
2015-2-15
Use props
Muscadel
lvl.3

South Africa

Koavog Posted at 2015-2-16 11:23
Shakey, I'm confused too. How do you calibrate compass, start motors, do anything without the came ...

OK, Flying without the Camera....

You don't actually need the camera attached, nor an iPad, actually, you can go flying without anything..
Here is how:

Switch on controller only, switch on aircraft
To exit travel mode, just toggle the Landing gear up and down aggressively more than 5 times, it will exit travel mode.
To calibrate, toggle the mode stick (P,A,F), agresiively up and down for 10 times, yellow light will come on the inspire tail., calibrate as per usual, once round flat, once round nose down, green light will flash on tail, now wait for GPS lock light sequence on tail, and take off.  Fly as per usual, Old School
2015-2-15
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

Roastie Posted at 2015-2-16 06:25
Blimey.....  Must remember to always fly forwards and up, rather than backwards and down............ ...

Well said
2015-2-16
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2015-2-16 14:02
Think of a situation where, the copter landed on someone in a building (accidental of course and i ...

If there is a need to be able to shut off the props while in flight, it NEEDS to be done in some other way than using the control sticks...period.  It is way too easy for pilots to unintentionally cut power to the props while flying, which is a whole lot more dangerous and likely to happen than your situation you came up with.

Not only will you damage/destroy your aircraft, but you will likely damage other property or injure someone when the craft falls from the sky with no control.
To me it just seems like basic common sense.
2015-2-16
Use props
michael-dicker.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5134951 ft
Germany

Jorgehlopezc Posted at 2015-2-16 14:02
Excuse me but you are absolutely wrong because I Made it, i turned off motors midair, An aircraft  ...

You are right and i am embarrassed.  I did many hand catches with the phantom and was under the impression that the copter noticed that it was held by hand or "on the ground and not moving" and alowed CSC because of that.

2015-2-16
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

michael-dicker. Posted at 2015-2-17 02:34
You are right and i am embarrassed.  I did many hand catches with the phantom and was under the imp ...

What it allows (when held still or on the ground) is zero throttle cutting off the motors.
It allows CSC to cut off the motors whenever...
2015-2-16
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

The disclaimer on the bottom of that JPG says it all

Great stuff guys this thread needs to be a sticky for all too see..

That throttle stick should be used gingerly
Best rule to follow is never use both sticks during flight if necessary as a safe guard .
2015-2-16
Use props
Chris Con
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501175 ft
United States

Just to reiterate. CSC DOES SHUT THE MOTORS OFF IN AIR/ WHILE FLYING.  The poster that said it does not is wrong. Their post should be deleted.
2015-2-16
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please help me with this one Dundee."CRC" what is that and what does it mean also where do I find it in the IOS App? What does it do?
Thanks my friend.
2015-2-16
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ScottGunn Posted at 2015-2-15 09:32
Certainly was not holding the sticks in that position.  It was in a hover, not moving at all and no ...

I would also feel comfortable if there was n way to shut down the motors while in flight. Just doesn't feel right. I am very uncomfortable with this possibility.
2015-2-16
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

I do hope they get the flight data so we can all learn from this (and hopefully they fix it asap). I doubt any experienced flyer will do a csc unexpectedly, and find it hard that someone would crash due to a csc and not remember it.

A csc in mid air would mean you're trying to descent, turn left and move the aircraft horizontally (back and left). It makes absolutely no sense to perform such a manoeuvre. Csc in midflight does come in handy when you hit an object, like a tree or such. With the props spinning it could easily come off and fall to the ground. So csc in mid air is a +1 for me.

Btw I'm seriously thinking of also flying without the gimbal. I'm not grounding my bird but I can't feel as confident as with my phantom to use the inspire for gigs and such. I'm seriously thinking of getting a phantom + gopro 4 for better quality video.
2015-2-16
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

xzces Posted at 2015-2-17 06:23
I do hope they get the flight data so we can all learn from this (and hopefully they fix it asap). I ...

When I fly, and the vast majority of other experienced pilots, I am not paying attention to the stick movements.  It is automatic, I don't have to think "I need to move the right stick left to go left", it is all muscle memory.   Performing smooth, complex moves with the aircraft requires simultaneous controller inputs.  Say flying around a building while keeping the nose and camera pointed at the target and making a wide, sweeping turn and elevation changes to avoid obstacles or get a certain vantage point.  I know what I want the craft to do, and make it happen without having to think about the sticks...muscle memory.  Basically I will have to revert back to flying amateur moves to make sure I don't accidentally shut down power.

If beginner or intermediate pilots still have to concentrate on stick position and are not skilled enough to use combined commands then this will not be much of an issue for them as the stick combination for CSC would probably not come into play.

If I need to turn it around, going backwards while doing a banking turn 180 degrees is a smooth way to make it happen.  If I need to drop some altitude while doing this maneuver, I just cut the props.   From what I hear, pulling the sticks down and in cuts the props, pulling the sticks down and outwards cuts them as well.  I can think of numerous times when the CSC stick position would come into play while flying.  I realize this is not a 3d sport helicopter that is performing flips and rolls, but in order to fly this quad smoothly to get the best footage still requires constant combined commands, especially if you are flying with one remote where the pan of the camera is fixed.

Also, in beginner mode, the stick input is greatly reduced.  This means you are much more likely to be using full stick inputs (100%) as the response is much slower and to a less degree.

This isn't relevant to why mine went down, but the subject is extremely shocking to me.  As I stated before, there should be no possible way that a craft should shut down the power mid flight because of stick inputs.  It is a ridiculously flawed setup and should be fixed immediately.  As stated earlier, I have been flying RC aircraft for over 15 years, when I read about this I was completely shocked and assumed it had to be untrue or an oversight by DJI.  If a mid flight shut down is required in some strange scenario then it needs to be designed where the control sticks don't initiate it.
2015-2-16
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

ScottGunn Posted at 2015-2-17 07:45
When I fly, and the vast majority of other experienced pilots, I am not paying attention to the sti ...
Scott

I agree with you. A third trigger/catalyst would seem desirable while in flight at any altitude.  If you can use throttle down to land and then disarm then you would think the same could apply to CSC maneuver while in flight.

Where's my net I am going to test this after the snow stops falling.  Matter of fact if the snow is high enough I won't even need a net  
2015-2-16
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

When I fly, and the vast majority of other experienced pilots, I am not paying attention to the sti ...

Pherhaps an option in the settings to disable csc would solve this. I personally would still enable it, because for 1 I almost never do a turn fast enough to have the stick go all the way. But from a 3d flyers point of view I understand. Pherhaps one day, even I will be flying the inspire to it's limits.

I still think that a csc won't happen of your using the inspire for filming or taking pictures. But even if you're roaming free it would be nice to disable csc. I did check on mine though and it only does a csc with both sticks fully back and inwards. It doesn't react to other csc positions.

The important thing is that IF there is an issue with the inspire, disabling its motor in flight when csc wasn't in play, it should be solved asap. Also a grounding request should be issued by DJI, as with the propeller locks. Hope we could get this cleared up asap.

I also hope you have a fully functional inspire back soon. It's just bitter to break it so soon.
2015-2-16
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

daninperth Posted at 2015-2-17 09:02
Scott

I agree with you. A third trigger/catalyst would seem desirable while in flight at any altitu ...

I agree, it's just plain common sense and would make it much safer to the public and their property.  

I honestly hope they fix the issue and find out what happened to mine.  While mine was operational, it was quite impressive.  By far the most user friendly, easy to fly craft I have ever flown.  If you struggle to fly this bird, you should probably give up flying altogether and forever.  The way it auto stabilizes in wind or when you let go of the sticks is precise and works perfectly.

I only flew once with the tablet and app (no camera, not much use for app), but the information at hand was pretty complete and well laid out.  It will be an excellent machine for what it was designed for.

Only thing I think is a bit over engineered and complex is the whole transforming mode.  While it is neat and gives bystanders an oooooh...aaaaah moment, the retraction mechanism is complicated and has some very weak points (as I found out after the crash).  Why would they make all the arms from carbon fiber but the main parts that connect the arms to the retract mechanism out of plastic (the part that takes the most wear and force)?   
2015-2-16
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Absolutely agree with you on this point. This needs to be fixed on the next firmware release ... period! Advance pilots are using the Inspire 1 and should not worry about the motors stopping because of stick position.
2015-2-16
Use props
dundee
First Officer

Thailand

rodger Posted at 2015-2-17 05:36
Please help me with this one Dundee."CRC" what is that and what does it mean also where do I find  ...

Sorry man, that's a typo,  must be csc
2015-2-16
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

dundee Posted at 2015-2-17 12:04

CSC stands for Combination Stick Controls.  In other words the ability to start or stop the motors with both sticks in the down position and in towards each other.
2015-2-16
Use props
Muscadel
lvl.3

South Africa

Here is a thought...  if you are high enough, and you accidently kill the motors, can they be started up again in free-fall?
2015-2-16
Use props
andi.witech
lvl.1

Denmark

Muscadel Posted at 2015-2-17 15:24
Here is a thought...  if you are high enough, and you accidently kill the motors, can they be starte ...

They can yes! did that many times with my F550, but gps mode does not supply the amount of power to stop the freefall, you'll have to be in manual mode as the power increases but the inspire 1 does not have actual manual mode as i am informed only ATTI so i would not do that with the inspire 1
2015-2-16
Use props
Muscadel
lvl.3

South Africa

andi.witech Posted at 2015-2-17 15:59
They can yes! did that many times with my F550, but gps mode does not supply the amount of power t ...

I actually once accidently flipped my Phantom and it came down in free-fall, I managed to get it just about upright, and flare full throttle in manual, just just just saved it, but the motors was running already.
It still smacked the deck, but elegantly with no damage.
I fear you may be right, under 300feet, the inspire would drop like a brick and there will be no time to react.
Just perhaps say goodbye.
2015-2-17
Use props
andi.witech
lvl.1

Denmark

Muscadel Posted at 2015-2-17 16:32
I actually once accidently flipped my Phantom and it came down in free-fall, I managed to get it j ...

Yes the amount of power it needs to stop the 3kg inspire is alot so yeah, it would drop like a brick

i use my phantom's and F550s to do flips and have fun with, but im propably not going to do that with the inspire
2015-2-17
Use props
Muscadel
lvl.3

South Africa

I'm not sure DJI will give us full manual on the Inspire anyway, sadly
2015-2-17
Use props
andi.witech
lvl.1

Denmark

Muscadel Posted at 2015-2-17 16:53
I'm not sure DJI will give us full manual on the Inspire anyway, sadly

hope not, i would probably end up trying it then go full retard and crash my new inspire
2015-2-17
Use props
TheFlyGuy
lvl.2

Israel

What about the battery?
Maybe you had a power failure cause by an issue with one of your batteries.

You said that it was you 4th flight that day, so i guess you have more then one battery or you charge your battery a few times that day, ether way you said that you didn't touch the sticks, so a faulty battery seems like the one to investigate.

I read somewhere that another Inspire owner had a mid fly shutdown because of that.
2015-2-17
Use props
Plus Form
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I too worry that the motors might cut out because of this feature, please change the config for motor shutdown DJI.
2015-2-17
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

dundee Posted at 2015-2-17 12:04

Not a problem. I was not familiar with the acronym.
2015-2-17
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ScottGunn Posted at 2015-2-17 13:07
CSC stands for Combination Stick Controls.  In other words the ability to start or stop the motors ...

Thanks, I have it now and understand what he meant.
2015-2-17
Use props
tahosrfr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 463182 ft
United States

Hey man, GL and keep us posted. This is extremely concerning.
2015-2-17
Use props
Heijningen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6055745 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I had the exact same thing!

My inspire dropt out of the sky from 3 feet @ 20 % battery.

After more then 2 weeks waiting DJI Support now says there was notting wrong with the craft. no warranty.

2015-2-17
Use props
Heijningen
lvl.1
  • >>>
Netherlands

I had the same thing, see: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... warning&lang=en

After 2 weeks DJI Support says, nothing wrong with the craft, no warranty.
2015-2-17
Use props
Heijningen
lvl.1
  • >>>
Netherlands

I had the same problem. no warrenty

DJI REMOVES COMMENDS
2015-2-17
Use props
Advanced