Inspire 1 suddenly fell from sky
24664 219 2015-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tvmcdaniels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49646 ft
United States

they only had me send in the inspire. told me to ship only the broken parts. I hope that is all they needed and not the controller.
Thanks Again
2015-3-13
Use props
valyhuma
New

United States

Mine did the same thing. The propeller stop instantly and drop from 4 ft broking the gimbal. Now the drone will not start and is continuously beeping. I am not able to connect the controller to the drone.
2015-3-21
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

Just as a sidenote. I get the same error (controller battery malfunction) you posted when powering on the inspire without the camera/gimbal. It happens every time since the last update with android 1.0.7 app. Could it be this error is making the controller unrepsonsive? Did you fly without the gimbal during the accident?
2015-3-22
Use props
tvmcdaniels
lvl.4
United States

not for me I had the camera and gimbal on the inspire at the time of the crash

2015-3-22
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

Ok guys, got an update.  After a month of the craft sitting at the DJI North America service center, I finally got an email.

Dear Scott,

Your Inspire One has been replaced with a refurbished Inspire One. The
replacement unit was test flown and is fully operational.

It goes on to say how to set up the refurbished unit prior to flight etc...

There is no explanation as to what the malfunction was or what happened.  No payment required.  

I do have an issue with having my unit replaced with a refurbished unit however.  My craft had about 30 minutes total flight time on it before the malfunction.  I have no clue what this refurbished unit has been put through.  The motors and battery unit, etc, could have untold hours of hard use on this replacement.  Not to mention it was obviously crashed and repaired, how badly it was damaged is also unknown.  My unit was under warranty, and I was under the impression that it would be replaced with a new craft since it was a malfunction and not user error.

Obviously they confirmed this was a malfunction, as there is no charge.  So I had a brand new $3,500 Inspire that crashed due to a malfunction, have to go through all this and in return I get a used, crashed and repaired unit?  Not cool in my opinion.

Also it would be nice to have had an explanation that I could pass on to the hundreds of owners who have kept up with this thread.

Any ideas or input?
2015-3-23
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

Just want some outside input on the matter.  Am I being too picky?  If this exact hing happened to you would you be happy with a refurbished unit considering all of the circumstances?
2015-3-24
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

ScottGunn Posted at 2015-3-24 16:28
Just want some outside input on the matter.  Am I being too picky?  If this exact hing happened to y ...

I would check the flight logs.
2015-3-24
Use props
FlyingSquirrel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17141325 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

Hey ScottGunn,
Im sorry if I missed it but what Firm were you running on the bird and tx?
2015-3-24
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

ScottGunn Posted at 2015-3-24 07:01
Ok guys, got an update.  After a month of the craft sitting at the DJI North America service center, ...

Your "refurbished unit" may have never been flown.  DJI receives many returns from users that have a change of heart.  We cannot sell them as new so we use them for spare parts and to replace units that come in for repairs.  I have set up and flown several of them.  Many still have the protective film still on them.  I would not be too concerned.  But I would not expect us to send you a brand new unit as well.  You want something that flies.  That is why the test fly and video every unit before it leaves.
2015-3-24
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

dundee Posted at 2015-3-24 22:33
I would check the flight logs.

You mean check the flight logs on the refurbished unit when it arrives?  I would think they would be wiped clean wouldn't they?  

Good idea though.  I will look into that.  Thanks
2015-3-24
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-25 03:32
Your "refurbished unit" may have never been flown.  DJI receives many returns from users that have  ...

That is the part that concerns me, I have no idea what I might get or what history it has.  I don't want "something that flies", I want a craft that is in perfect new condition like mine was prior to the malfunction.

And actually yes I can expect to be sent a new unit as the crash was due to a defect from manufacturer, not user error.  Every company I know of would send a new product to replace a defective product, maybe they do it different in China.
2015-3-24
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

FlyingSquirrel Posted at 2015-3-25 03:12
Hey ScottGunn,
Im sorry if I missed it but what Firm were you running on the bird and tx?

It was the updated firmware, the latest firmware available at the time (around Feb 20th). I do not remember the exact version, only had the craft for 5 days before it took a dive.  I did perform the required updates.
2015-3-24
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ScottGunn Posted at 2015-3-25 03:42
That is the part that concerns me, I have no idea what I might get or what history it has.  I don' ...

I think that I would reserve judgement until you get yours.  
2015-3-24
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-25 03:57

Fair enough, just didn't want to spend another week waiting just to be disappointed when it arrived.  

Any idea on how long it takes to actually ship the replacement craft?  
2015-3-24
Use props
aknauer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 793041 ft
New Zealand

Sorry to hear about your loss.

One concern that arises from this, is CSC mode entry in backwards flying. If you have done 3d Heli maneuvers, you now that you will have a CSC crossed sticks situation in a coordinated left bank turn in backwards flight.
I would be interesting to know the servo percentage required on the four channels to enter CSC - but I'm certain we will never know.
2015-3-25
Use props
rica0516
New

United States

I can't believe I found this post! It's been almost four weeks since my inspire 1 was sent off. I live in Michigan and have been looking for what happened to me. Problem was I could not find anything until now . the exact same thing happened to me that happened to you. The only difference was I was 330 ft or so high. I'm still waiting for dji to tell me that it was a defect I feel a million times better after reading your post. Thank you!

2015-3-29
Use props
ibark
New

United States

The same thing happened to me when I was in Melborne Florida. However, a friend was running her RC car 2.4ghz and her car went nuts when my Inspire fell from about 3 feet straight down. The remote said on the iPad, lost connection.

I was thinking maybe this was due to solar activities that JPL had reported.  Now I am not so sure. Any other ideas?  Can sun spots/solar flares CME's cause this with 2.4 & 5.8ghz?
2015-3-31
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

ScottGunn Posted at 2015-3-25 05:48
Fair enough, just didn't want to spend another week waiting just to be disappointed when it arrive ...

Scott,

Am I right in thinking that DJI are issueing re-conditioned/refurbished units as replecement aircraft ?

If this is right that is shocking.  You paid good money for a new product, if it cant be repaired you should get a new unit not re-conditioned or refurbished, this is wrong surely.  This would not be in accordance with the Sale of Goods Act in the UK.  If you purchased your product in US then US law will dictate not China.
2015-3-31
Use props
daev66
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12263747 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think they could have rebuilt it and put on all the plastic film and ship it to you as new. This would end your complaints and make them look better. I would say they were honestly unable to detect the cause and did not want to make up any stories to worry customers. If you are a experienced pilot you would never do a CSC stall in mid flight unless for example you lost one prop and your craft is heading towards people that can be avoided by a dead fall.The MultiWii flight controllers I have for mini FPV quads kill motors on CSC. In fact I've seen pilot stunt videos where they stop and start motors.

With a craft such as the Inspire 1 why would one ever throttle down all the way, yaw clockwise all the way, go backwards and roll hard left all at once?
That would be suicidal in itself.
2015-4-1
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-31 17:10
Scott,

Am I right in thinking that DJI are issueing re-conditioned/refurbished units as repleceme ...

At first they sent me a mail stating it would be a refurbished unit, after complaining a bit they sent a new mail saying they fixed mine and are sending it back to me.  I completely agree with you though, if it had stayed a refurbished unit I was going to be pretty upset.
2015-4-10
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

ScottGunn Posted at 2015-4-11 06:58
At first they sent me a mail stating it would be a refurbished unit, after complaining a bit they  ...

Scott,

I waited 3 weeks for my replacement then my dealer got some obscure email saying they would only replace the aircraft.  This was after a strut/rod had come out in mid flight, then problems with barometer showing incorrect height and a camera that showed dead pixels on RAW JPEG stills.  I had been told about the possible dead pixels from another Inspire user who had a similar aircraft with the same production date and he had his replaced for the same reason.

Anyway I went back to the dealer and said it wasn't acceptable, DJI had previously said it would be replaced in full and if that didn't happen I would expect a full refund.  Lucky for me the dealer was fantastic and agreed with me, and just give me a completely new unit rather than wait any longer.

Now having issues with the replacement saying my Lexar 64GB 633x card is too slow.  Not sure if this is a bug or what, but will have to do further flight tests to see if it is still there.  
2015-4-11
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-4-11 17:24
Scott,

I waited 3 weeks for my replacement then my dealer got some obscure email saying they would ...

I knew beforehand that this being a new release product that there would likely be some initial setbacks.  Product delivery, maybe several firmware updates, etc.  A companies true identity is not defined by having some issues arise, it is defined by how it responds to these issues and takes care of their customers.  

My personal experience with DJI after my craft crashed due to some defect was pretty frustrating.  On the up side, the customer service rep I spoke to while trying to get an RMA was very polite and understanding.  It is obvious to me that DJI did not have an adequate support staff in place for the Inspire.  I say that because it took 5 hours on hold just to speak to a human, there is no one to respond to messages sent by customer in their RMA software, and the repair times are incredibly long.  there was also an issue where hundreds were upset by the lack of communication from DJI during shipping delays and issues posted here.

Now it's time to see how DJI responds to make the customer experience more acceptable.  Hopefully they will embrace their role as an industry leader and fix what is needed.
2015-4-12
Use props
markwiss.hotmai
lvl.2
United States

My turn......  I spent the morning flying the I1 with GPS lock...compass calibrated and in beginner mode.  I flew the I1 for about 9-10 minutes when I got the low battery alarm.  It took off, flew and landed just fine. I have the video!   I changed the battery and used auto takeoff.  When I got about 25 ft up I pressed video record and in 2 seconds I heard a beep and it dropped out of record mode.  I have the video!  The I1 was hovering according to spec, I WAS NOT MANIPULATING THE JOYSTICKS because I was pressing the record button.  The yellow SAFE TO FLY - GPS was on and the I1 was hovering just fine.  I strated recording again and then there was beep-beep  or beep-beep-beep and I looked at the RC to see that the yellow GPS status bar was replaced with a red bar.  That was not what scared me.  The picture showed sky as the I1 accelerated backward. It hit a tree branch and crashed.  I have the video.  The red status bar said something about voltage but as I was watching the I1 crash I did not read the whole error message.  The left rear of the I1 was down considerably as it backed up. I tried to elevate.  It seemed that it had no effect but I do admit to being too stunned at the attitude and the speed with which it flew into the tree.  The damn thing really broke apart when it hit the ground.   One landing strut broke at the pivot bar and the legs were pushed in when it hit the ground, two propellers broke and the camera sustained damage. Three of the motors were warm but of note is that the left rear motor was way too hot to touch.  Burning hot. It is my opinion that the left rear motor overheated and died. I think this because the I1 was tilted back and left as it roared toward the trees. THE I1 was working great until this. I have the video!  As this happened on Sunday (April 12) I sent a service call RMA email and will speak to L.A. techs Monday AM.  Also they should add a metal bearing to the landing struts at the pivot bar as that plastic crap just plain broke. Also, It would not go into travel mode so I could put it in its flight case.
2015-4-12
Use props
Wolfman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 405659 ft
Australia

ScottGunn Posted at 2015-4-13 07:17
I knew beforehand that this being a new release product that there would likely be some initial se ...

Hi Scott, I feel your pain !!!!

My bird went out of control over a month ago now. Flight logs have proved hardware failure and I have been advised of this from DJI. NO replacement so far, only a lot of pointless emails over who will be paying for the freight to return it for further inspection and no replacement will be provided until that inspection occurs.!

I AM HORRIFIED to read in previous posts that they had planned on replacing your faulty bird with a factory return. If you consider everything that we consumers purchase on a daily basis, can you name any other industry that would even consider replacing a faulty item with an item that is not new????

AS for Tahoe's response:

Your "refurbished unit" may have never been flown.  DJI receives many returns from users that have a change of heart.  We cannot sell them as new so we use them for spare parts and to replace units that come in for repairs.  I have set up and flown several of them.  Many still have the protective film still on them.  I would not be too concerned.  But I would not expect us to send you a brand new unit as well.  

Tahoe, not sure what cave you have been living mate. So your new TV craps itself after 3 weeks. Take it back to the store for a replacement  and be told you will get a used one that has been tested but should be fine.....I am sure you will not be happy.

This really has me concerned as to what I will be getting back from DJI when they EVENTUALLY replace my destroyed aircraft.

When will DJI realise that this sort of thing IS NOT ACCEPTABLE and the customer service that they are offering at present is C R A P
2015-4-12
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Wolfman Posted at 2015-4-13 15:36

My bird went out of control over a month ago now. Flight logs ha ...

My last flight had similar issues with recording.  I use a high speed 633x Lexar 64GB micro card and have used this before with no problems.  Then last flights first battery video lasts 2 to 3 seconds.  Then start it again lasts 8seconds and get a message card slow.  Switched battery started video again on same memory card and get recorded video for 8 minutes.

So a little unsure what is going on.  I have now reformatted the card to try again.  Also ordered a 32Gb Lexar to try.
As for replacing defective units still under warranty, if it cant be repaired, a complete new unit should be given.  As you say if you buy a large flat screen TV and it needs to be replaced undr warranty, you dont get a refurbied/ re-conditions one and if it was offered just ask for your money back as a full refund.
2015-4-13
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

ScottGunn Posted at 2015-2-16 08:35
No word on repair.  I sent a ticket into DJI USA and one to DSLRPROS which is where it was purchas ...

Scott,
Try again the 24/7 chat; after you open that window, say Hi and write a few introduction about the issue you want to discuss and then wait.
If you don't get a reply within a few minutes (5-10 mins), I suggest you type in the same window some contact info (email & phone) and ask nicely to get back to you.
I know it's called 24/7 but maybe would be best to try writing there within Chinese business hours.
2015-4-14
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
United Arab Emirates

ScottGunn Posted at 2015-2-16 10:05
I was wondering, when flying it there was a pretty good breeze.  I have about 1 minute of video of t ...

Scott, the sticks are NOT directly controlling the motors. The stick movements are translated as any other input (sensors) in the flight controller which will decide now the motors' speeds are to be adjusted. I have no idea what and how it is being saved in the log files, but I would bet you would not see a stick movement being logged for a computational adjustment of the flight controller due to wind. More likely is that the log files actually contain sensor readings (GPS, accelerometer, gyroscope, compass) with a regular frequency. We all wish that manufacturers would be more transparent about their platforms.
Please keep us informed with the progress of this investigation.
Regards,
Bogdan
2015-4-14
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
United Arab Emirates

Muscadel Posted at 2015-2-17 16:32
I actually once accidently flipped my Phantom and it came down in free-fall, I managed to get it j ...

I don't see how the I1 would fall faster than a Phantom?
Anyway, I do not recommend any of this testing with neither of them.
Personally I believe that Phantoms would fall more erratically due to their weight and mass-center location and their motors have less power to provide enough force to regain stability and hover back again.
If any experienced physician around to actually calculate the minimum height required and the minimum reaction time needed to re-power the motors for both types of aircraft... we all would be impressed and would appreciate the info. Don't believe would be really useful as we do not attempt stunts with these, but would be interesting fact about their design.
Regards,
Bogdan
2015-4-14
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
United Arab Emirates

Fred Posted at 2015-2-23 00:54
I hope this isn't a stupid question, But, if the Inspire 1 is in GPS position hold at , let's say 18 ...

The OPTI sensors (vision+sonar) do NOT control the altitude of the I1, thus there should be no reason for the motors to stop in mid-air due to readings from its readings. The barometer will be responsible for altitude even when the GPS signal is poor or location accuracy is very low. Yet, no matter the altitude information received by the flight controller, why would ALL motors be stopped since there was NO input from the RC sticks? Even when you manually land the I1, the motors will only stop 3 seconds after "touch-down" ONLY if the left stick is kept down to max position. No CSC was performed. No battery warning received it seems and after flight it was not even near to low.
Only DJI engineers after reading the log file have a chance in finding the reason for this unfortunate event.
Regards,
Bogdan
2015-4-14
Use props
dennis
lvl.3
United States

ScottGunn Posted at 2015-2-16 04:45
As I said, the sticks were not in the start/stop position and I'm pretty sure the flight recorder  ...

You have had a lot of bad luck bro very sorry to hear this
2015-4-14
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

dennis@aerialpe Posted at 2015-4-14 21:33
You have had a lot of bad luck bro very sorry to hear this

Well at least DJI repaired it no cost, but they never did explain what caused the malfunction.  What bothers me is just how many others have reported the same or similar issues.  It has made me somewhat nervous every time I fly now.
2015-4-18
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

Wolfman Posted at 2015-4-13 15:36

My bird went out of control over a month ago now. Flight logs ha ...

I have to agree with you 100%.  It is just really bad business practices in my opinion
2015-4-18
Use props
tvmcdaniels
lvl.4
United States

sent 3/11/2015
received 3/12/2015
checked in 3/30/2015
checked into repair software 4/8/2015

tomorrow is exactly 6 weeks sense receiving my inspire and nothing called customer support and nothing was put on hold and disconnected.

I put this up here because i had the same problem and this is my story of the repair prosses with this issue.
I know things take time and I understand that. I would just like some better comunacation with 3,000 dollar unit

. G. (DJI Technology )                        

Mar 28, 13:28            

Dear travis,

Thank you for your prompt response. I will complete the check in process. The ETA for repairs is approximately 4 - 6 weeks. Within that time frame phone or e-mail requests for status updates will not be entertained, as we can only provide you the information you already see when logging into Zendesk and these requests only serve to slow the process for others. Only in the rare event that more than 6 weeks have passed since your unit was delivered, should you call 818-235-0789 for further assistance.

Is it possible to provide your return address for our file.

DJI Technology, LLC
960 Knox St. Unit A
Torrance, CA 90502

Thank you for choosing DJI!
"The Future of possible"

DJI North America

DJI North America

2015-4-22
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

"The Future of possible" - As in, it will be *possible* to fly your $3,000+ aircraft again at some indeterminate time in the *future*...

They REALLY have to roll out regional service centers at their major dealerships.  I will be wanting to burn their building down if my unit fails in the middle of a revenue-producing project with a deadline and they tell me "4-6 weeks and don't bother us in the interim."  If I treated my own client base like that I wouldn't have one.
2015-4-22
Use props
tvmcdaniels
lvl.4
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-25 03:57

Is there a way you can help me out with an update
RMA 31015237107287

Thank You

2015-4-22
Use props
tvmcdaniels
lvl.4
United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-4-23 01:02
"The Future of possible" - As in, it will be *possible* to fly your $3,000+ aircraft again at some i ...

I have to agree with you on this one and thanks for the laugh.
Thankfully I have two inspires and one is not at the repair center
2015-4-22
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

tvmcdaniels@gma Posted at 2015-4-23 01:10
Is there a way you can help me out with an update
RMA 31015237107287

I tried in LA and your ticket does not exist.  Where did you open it?
2015-4-22
Use props
tvmcdaniels
lvl.4
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-23 05:14
I tried in LA and your ticket does not exist.  Where did you open it?

what?   That is where I got my RMA # and that is where fedex delivered it.
2015-4-22
Use props
tvmcdaniels
lvl.4
United States

Here is the proof of delivery.
la.png
2015-4-22
Use props
tvmcdaniels
lvl.4
United States

Sent 3/11/2015
received 3/12/2015
checked in 3/30/2015
checked into repair software 4/8/2015
RMA   31015237107287
tomorrow is exactly 6 weeks sense receiving my inspire and nothing called customer support and nothing was put on hold and disconnected.

I put this up here because i had the same problem and this is my story of the repair prosses with this issue.
I know things take time and I understand that. I would just like some better comunacation with 3,000 dollar unit

. G. (DJI Technology )                        

Mar 28, 13:28            

Dear travis,

Thank you for your prompt response. I will complete the check in process. The ETA for repairs is approximately 4 - 6 weeks. Within that time frame phone or e-mail requests for status updates will not be entertained, as we can only provide you the information you already see when logging into Zendesk and these requests only serve to slow the process for others. Only in the rare event that more than 6 weeks have passed since your unit was delivered, should you call 818-235-0789 for further assistance.

DJI Technology, LLC
960 Knox St. Unit A
Torrance, CA 90502

Thank you for choosing DJI!
"The Future of possible"

DJI North America

DJI North America
2015-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules