Cyprus

DJI on more time you suck.
2017-1-19
Use props
anthonyp85
lvl.2
Flight distance : 209721 ft
United States

So with all this that's being discussed... I know nothing official has actually come out from DJI... But hoping to get some advice. I got the Black Phantom 4 from Best Buy for Christmas. I'm a little nervous that if this is true, there might be a lack of updates for it, and it may be difficult to find parts etc for it especially since it's a Best But exclusive. Just need some advice if you guys think it's worth keeping before the return period is up or exchanging it for the Phantom 4 Pro. I LOVE the black edition because it's different. The Mavic is completely sold out and they don't know when they're getting it again. So my only other option would the the P4P. Suggestions please? Thanks in advance and sorry for the question... Just unsure what to do before the return/exchange period is up.
2017-1-20
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

C_LUU Posted at 2017-1-18 18:39
Why is this even an issue that people are winging about? DJI still supports all its products ever made, you can still buy spare parts for the phantom 1 and 2 on the internet. Its basically consumers pi**** off that they don't have the latest piece of tech at all times. Ridiculous

You're new here, right? Try to find a WIFI module for a P2V+.  The reason people make an "issue" out of it is because they've invested a good chunk of change in a product that has become useless. As a P3S and P3P owner, I see my P3's going the way of my two P2V+'s, expensive dust collectors.
2017-1-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Username Here Posted at 2017-1-20 20:43
You're new here, right? Try to find a WIFI module for a P2V+.  The reason people make an "issue" out of it is because they've invested a good chunk of change in a product that has become useless. As a P3S and P3P owner, I see my P3's going the way of my two P2V+'s, expensive dust collectors.

You can buy a complete refurbished P3 Standard for US$359.
Why would you want to waste time and $$ working on an obsolete P2?
Your P3s will be around for ages if you want to keep them running.
2017-1-20
Use props
C_LUU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 481988 ft
Australia

Username Here Posted at 2017-1-20 20:43

Mate im not new around here at all, started with a P1 and been through all of them.

literally first link in google when i typed in DJI P2 WIFI module
http://www.riseabove.com.au/prod ... -module-part-3.html
If you cant do a simple google search or use the internet then maybe flying drones is a bit over your head.
2017-1-22
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 69 ft
Australia

http://C:\\Users\\denleyenviro\\Desktop\\New folder\\My Movie.mp4
(If it works). I did some experimental flights to count sea birds on the barrier reef. Noticed later there was a reef shark (2sec) come in top left, then a turtle (8secs) top mid left. Great place to fly must say.
...no it didn't. Posted an MP4. Any advice on posting videos?

2017-1-31
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 69 ft
Australia

Euc Posted at 2017-1-31 04:54
C:\Users\denleyenviro\Desktop\New folder\My Movie.mp4
(If it works). I did some experimental flights to count sea birds on the barrier reef. Noticed later there was a reef shark (2sec) come in top left, then a turtle (8secs) top mid left. Great place to fly must say.
...no it didn't. Posted an MP4. Any advice on posting videos?

Sorry all. meant to post on another thread.
2017-1-31
Use props
tvl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197779 ft
United States

I also just picked up a Phantom 4 late last week. I guess it is disappointing to hear that it is being discontinued soooo soon ............... if that is indeed true. However, I was able to pick up the new craft for $890 (at BestBuy using their guaranteed price match). At that price and for such a nice drone with outstanding features, it is definitely not going back to the store for a more current model!
2017-1-31
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

Phantom 4 has some obvious flaws:
1. the active tracking mode is more of a demo than a really useful thing. the drone tracks until it looses track. just unfinished project advertised- and sold(!) as way more than it can do
2. the follow me mode is doing what is meant to do, if you can adjust to an apreciable distance between drone and subject. that makes the subject more of part of the landscape than a subject, so yes it works but with limitations. imagine if you had something like a transmiter attached to subject, while the pilot drives the drone around. wouldnt that be something!
3. the camera gimbal is said to be 3-axis. maybe it is, but one axis (panning i think is the name) is not useable. so 2-axis it is. again thank you DJI for selling hot air.
4. regarding the 3-rd axis of the gimbal, imagine if legs would lift up to allow the camera turn around. really, DJI? you really needed a new brand (Inspire) at twice the price of Phantom, just to do that?
5. the all-around sensor implementation in P4 Pro is not  fashion. is essential. when the drone comes close to land features it needs to enter in alarm mode. obviously, the P4 doesnt  and hence it crashes. but hey, it was designhed to crash due to spatial un-awareness, right?

In conclusion, if they discontinued i would agree that they need to come with a better product. Longer they keep it on, more people would become aware of the discrepancy between what DJI promises and what they deliver.

To me is a toy. yes, a fancy one promising obstace avoidance, and active tracking, and 4k. in fact obstacle avoidance is limited (to forward and below), active tracking is a joke, and 4k has more complains due to gimbal and picture flaws than anything else. a work in progress, even for a toy.
2017-1-31
Use props
joe_gadget
lvl.4

Australia

WindSoul Posted at 2017-1-31 11:41
Phantom 4 has some obvious flaws:
1. the active tracking mode is more of a demo than a really useful thing. the drone tracks until it looses track. just unfinished project advertised- and sold(!) as way more than it can do
2. the follow me mode is doing what is meant to do, if you can adjust to an apreciable distance between drone and subject. that makes the subject more of part of the landscape than a subject, so yes it works but with limitations. imagine if you had something like a transmiter attached to subject, while the pilot drives the drone around. wouldnt that be something!

1. you may be right - I've not used this.
2. ditto. However name me one quad in that price range (with the exception of the karma) that allows for separate gimbal control.
3. 3 axis means stabilisation in all axes, not the ability to pan in all directions.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimbal
4. Well Autel may have a drone for you soon then.
5 And your point being?

2017-1-31
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Canada

joe_gadget Posted at 2017-1-31 17:06
1. you may be right - I've not used this.
2. ditto. However name me one quad in that price range (with the exception of the karma) that allows for separate gimbal control.
3. 3 axis means stabilisation in all axes, not the ability to pan in all directions.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimbal

2. we're not talking peanuts here. provided cant take aerial pictures, you can still buy a car with that money.  but since you provided the exception, lets assume you replied to your own reply.
3. i understand that now. i thought differently, the sales agent failed to explain it to me the way you did. since i was clearly taken advantage at the time of sale, would you buy it back from me?
4. DJI already has the Inspire. I thought i mentioned it in my post. At the price of...two cars!
5. my point is this: they sell a thing with minimal safeties and they sell the same thing with safeties (not extra abundant, just the right amount), at premium price. is like they knew people will crash the cheaper thing and still return to contribute in service fees. is a bit deceitful, that's my point.
2017-1-31
Use props
joe_gadget
lvl.4

Australia

OK I'll bite lol

3. No . If you feel the guy who sold it to you mislead you about its capabilities why didn't you return it then?
4. I thought you were complaining about the price of the inspire. The new Autel (if it's ever released) should be much cheaper
5 I'm still not following. Extra features do tend to cost more money. You have a choice to buy a low end basic car vs an upspec car. Do you consider Toyota deceitful because it makes cars at different prices and features? Oh and in relation to your original post - perhaps learn how to fly without all the fancy add ons because they're not foolproof ?
2017-1-31
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Canada

joe_gadget Posted at 2017-1-31 17:35
OK I'll bite lol

3. No . If you feel the guy who sold it to you mislead you about its capabilities why didn't you return it then?

3. cause is past one month. got it for Christmas, been bought earlier. and you look pale, get some fresh air. my question was rethorical.
4. yes i did, the Inspire. nice thing, a bit pricey, but in terms of video bit rate, the same quality as P4.
5. i'm not talking extra features, i'm talking safeties. the Pro version doesn't have extra, it has the side obstruction which is needed as safety. is like saying that brakes on two wheels are fine, you can use the car, but if you want brakes on 4 wheels you're welcome to a hefty premium. that's how i see it.
2017-1-31
Use props
joe_gadget
lvl.4

Australia

3. Lol it's summer over here. I'm sure I'm getting more fresh air (and flying time) than you
4. Bit rate isn't the only determinant of video quality. I'm pretty sure the inspire optics are better than those on the P4.
5. We'll have to agree to disagree on your choice of comparison.
2017-1-31
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Canada

joe_gadget Posted at 2017-1-31 17:58
3. Lol it's summer over here. I'm sure I'm getting more fresh air (and flying time) than you
4. Bit rate isn't the only determinant of video quality. I'm pretty sure the inspire optics are better than those on the P4.

is fine, im not convinced im right either, otherwise i wouldnt be wasting my time around. whatever you get, you're still pale to me. and swollen.
2017-1-31
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

WindSoul Posted at 2017-1-31 18:34
is fine, im not convinced im right either, otherwise i wouldnt be wasting my time around. whatever you get, you're still pale to me. and swollen.

Whaaat? Hey, this is just getting silly now. And I had to scroll back to the top to remind myself what the thread was about.
Anyway, still no formal announcement after a few weeks of this. That means nothing, of course. Regardless, I fully anticipate that DJI will continue to maintain the firmware even if they don't have the same craft still rolling off a production line. If they didn't reasonably support their legacy craft, no-one would buy their future craft - consumers are much smarter and informed than previously thanks to forums like this.
I now own both a P4P, as well as my original P4. I'm loving them.
How about a group hug now?
2017-1-31
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Canada

joe_gadget Posted at 2017-1-31 17:58

bit rate as in the compression rate is the major technological botteleneck in the drone camera system. the camera hardware just isnt able to write on the card but only at speeds 10 times slower than what the card can sustain.
i understand optics is a factor, but not in pixelating effects or other video artefacts indicative for high compression rates. in this conditions, the only way to improve quality is to take static shots (with little to no transition) so any detail would get a chance to be rendered in one of the successive, quasi-identical frames. but this method does not guarantee success.                                                                                             
2017-2-2
Use props
Reds2tall55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1159409 ft
United States

eliot may Posted at 2017-1-18 11:30
So I am looking to upgrade from my P3S (which I love) to P4. Should I change my plans? Is the P4 going to work for me and get support / repair for a couple years? Should I wait (i had to look up how to spell that word) for the price to come down with this news?

Get a P4P V2.0 if you like the phantom type bird. If what I’m reading is true then the V2.0 is the way to go if you like that style bird . I have one and I freaking love it . I put it on my pillow right next to me in bed and make my wife sleep in the spare room. Anyway I’m freaking rolling from laughter on how everyone gets so excited.. I’m not making fun of anyone ... it’s just nice that this time it’s not me...lol...
2018-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules